UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How many years left?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

How many years left?

Do you ever think about it? No one lasts forever and one of the things that haunts me is that my want to may out last my can do! Found myself wondering that this morning as I hiked 5/8 of a mile back into an old valley threaded with several small beaver ponds to turn a pair of beagles loose in search of the Snowshoe Hare. Sitting listening to they're voices ring down through the valley for 3-1/2 hours made my day yet there's that distant haunt that the end is much nearer then it once was. A frequent prayer is to be able to do it gracefully when it's time. Many memories here in this spot which once was much more wild than it is today. There were once rugged men likely of French Canadian decent, who spent there late fall and likely all winter deep in these soft wood forests cutting pulp and saw logs that were eventually floated down the Connecticut River from its headwaters along the Vermont and NH borders all the way down into Massachusetts and Connecticut. Tough men who in those days had no time for fussing with hounds. My Dad always said "They can't take what I've already had!" and man I've had a out of fun and I sure enjoyed istemig to this pair of 4 year olds who have honed their craft well!

How about you? Who is the oldest active coon hunter you know that can still hit the woods 3-4 nights a week and doesn't have to hunt from a vehicle?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-28-2019 02:50 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Downhill fast!!

Go 3-4 nights yet, but can't take long walks anymore. Turned 72 in Feb. & retired from farming last years, so have time & 'want to' yet, but can't get my legs traveling thru woods like they used to.

Had a real tough hunt at SS a couple years ago that really has set me back. Would really like to make more competition hunts during week, but 'brain says go, but legs say no'. Young handlers always in a hurry to get to tree, when time is up & dogs split treeing in different directions really burns me out trying to keep up.

Did hunt 3 nights at Bluetick Reunion this year on Senior casts & 2 nights at our Zone III hunt, but in the heat now, grand kids (12 & 13), plus a couple great buddies need to do most of leg work till fall. Enjoy while you can because it only gets harder as you get older. Take care, Ron.

ps- How old are you? Don't have it listed in your first post.

Old Post 07-28-2019 03:33 AM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

DL NH

I am 70 and have slowed down a lot, I do not hunt in the spring and summer months anymore, just don't like the heat. I hunt hard in the fall and winter months 4 to 5 nights a week, but not as long each night only 2 tob3 hours a night. My hunting partner is 81 years old and still hunts 4 to 5 nights every week like myself. He is the ultimate coon hunter , he has more passion about coonhunting than anyone I have ever known. He is tough as nails and will hunt as long as he is able. I made him a deal a couple of years ago, that we would hunt every night, but only until we treed our limit, shucks he wanted to hunt all night. Lol. Dave

Old Post 07-28-2019 04:06 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Rolin Blues,

I Just turned 61. Hopefully I've got another 10 +. Would like a few in retirement if I make that. My Dad passed away in Nov. of 2016 @ 94. Mind was still sharp as a tack but his body was shot. His last 5 yrs of life were in a nursing home. In his day he was an excellent woodsman and his passion was trout fishing. We spent countless hours together over the years. Perhaps 2 of his greatest gifts to me were his love and knowledge of the outdoors and a model to follow in departing this world with grace.

It was a rare occasion he complained about anything. The staff at the home were in tears the day he truly went Home. He was good to them and they to him. As I write this now I'm sitting on the porch of one of his most prized possessions, his camp, a place filled with memories nearly to numerous to count and where I can almost see him. The day is coming when I will!!

As far as the hunting with hounds goes I truly believe we've seen the best years. Dad always use to say "They can't take what we've already had." I don't say this as a complaint but merely as observation of the diminishing woodlands, open land to hunt and an impatience by much of our ever changing society who doesn't understand our ways.

Old Post 07-28-2019 01:04 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I am 61 yrs old. To many broken bones to keep up with the young folks in the hunts. But they play a different game than we did I remember in the 3 hr hunt days men in their late 70’s hunting the whole hunt. We stayed together. Before I retired I only had time for one hobby hunted during the week competition hunted on weekends. Now I got time to do multiple hobby’s. And if the weather is bad I enjoy reading between the kc sites and tons of coonhunting sites on Facebook you can go hunting and never leave your chair lol. How long will I do it ? Every morning I will give you a different answer I wake up like a baby hoot owl in a new world lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-28-2019 01:27 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Mr. James Turpin. Of Insane Jane and Cain fame. I believe he is 85 and hunts 5 tp 6 nights in the hills of south east Ky.

Old Post 07-28-2019 03:09 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

not sure but it would be safe to say more behind me then infront of me !

Old Post 07-28-2019 06:23 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm 76 and I don't think of it in terms of years left. I wonder how many hunts left. Hoping I can make tomorrow night. I try to hunt 2 or 3 nights a week but they're short hunts. The Alpha and the ATV really help.

Old Post 07-28-2019 06:39 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I'm 71 and blessed with near perfect health. I want to go now but the heat is too much for my older dogs. One is my age, 70 and one is 9. Then I have one that 7 and one that's 6. I try to go alternate days and of course I skip days when things come up. Now I wonder about how much longer I can hunt with the dogs I have. I wonder too if I should get one more dog. But then, I don't want to leave a 10 year old dog to someone else when I die. My youngest is 6, if she makes it to 14 I'll be 79. I might still want to go at that age but I won't then have a dog. I might wait until my oldest dog dies to get my last dog. If she makes it to 14 I'll be 75. Another dog would take me to 89. That would probably be the end for me.

Old Post 07-28-2019 09:32 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I'm encouraged by the number of responses by those 70+ yrs. old! I'm hoping if I'm still alive at 70 I can still strap on a pair of snowshoes and cut loose a pair of beagles in January and February to run the swamp ghost of the north! I'd like to think I could have a good coon hound to boot!

Old Post 07-28-2019 09:49 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dan

Whatever you do, stay in the best physical shape you can. I have found out the hard way that once you get out of shape, it's very hard to push yourself enough to get back in shape. Keeping in good shape mentally and physically is the key. Dave

Old Post 07-28-2019 10:25 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I am only seventy one but I already just think about months instead of years. I wonder if I will still be able to go to the White River Refuge this December. And I have given up on starting pups now, I only hunt older dogs. I lost a 73 yr old hunting buddy to a stroke 2 months ago and just heard last night that a 65 yr old hunting buddy went to a nursing home last week.

Old Post 07-28-2019 10:38 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I am 70 and hunt more or at least as much now as ever. Retirement just gave me the time and the Good Lord has given me the health. Can still get about everywhere, it may just take a little longer. Have one just turned 4 year old dog and a 7 month puppy. Figure they will last me as long as I can go especially if the pup turns out. Still hunt by myself 90% of the time but wish I had a buddy that wanted to hunt as much as I do. Told my wife that if I died in the woods that would be fine. Much prefer that to a hospital bed.

Old Post 07-28-2019 10:53 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Stay mentally tough, mental toughness is needed to push our bodies enough to get into physical condition. My 81 year old hunting partner has shown me that we can be just as tough in our older years as we were in our younger years. He hunts in pain many nights, he just refuses to let his aches and pains stop him. He has a mental toughness that I envy and inspires me with his toughness. Mind over matter is a powerful tool if we use it. Navy seals training show the importance of mental toughness and just how far we can push our physical capabilities. Dave

Old Post 07-28-2019 11:29 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I am mentally tuff ! It’s just a long ways from my brain to my feet and they don’t do what I tell them to sometimes lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-28-2019 11:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

you old farts are pondering on something you cant control. keep on trucking don't drell on the pass or on whats gonna be. iam 35 and fig I have another good 35 left in me. Ha Tar. lol

Old Post 07-29-2019 12:01 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondog48
UKC Forum Member

And a very young 35 at that Carson!!!

Old Post 07-29-2019 12:03 AM
coondog48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondog48 Click here to Send coondog48 a Private Message Click Here to Email coondog48 Find more posts by coondog48 Add coondog48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Carson Jones

Now that's the attitude I am talking about, hope you always feel that way. No need to let your mind tell you you can't do something, you just tell yourself you can and go ahead and do it. It's been proved that we can go way beyond what our minds and bodies tell us that we can. Google Navy Seal training and see what those guys have to say about limitations. Dave

Old Post 07-29-2019 12:44 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness Mr Richards, how many of those Seals are 70 yrs old? You might want to read what you have typed before you hit that submit reply button.
And Chewy, we will see what kind of attitude you have in another 35 yrs.
Not only is my body 71 yrs old but my poor brain is also 71 yrs old. I was mentally tuff when I was 35 years old.

Old Post 07-29-2019 02:04 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Carson ain’t 35 lol he is older than me lol. And he is bald too lol. And uuuuuuuuuuugly !!

Tar

Old Post 07-29-2019 02:11 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Is mentally tough the same as hard-headed?

Old Post 07-29-2019 02:14 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don’t know but Ralph called me a sissy in church this morning he is 71 so we are going hunting I ain’t feeling it but we are going lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-29-2019 02:17 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, you are a sissy. All you do is whine and cry now. Have you always been like this or just since you got old?

Old Post 07-29-2019 02:30 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Trying to get a sympathy vote but I guess I am in the wrong crowd for that !!

Pot is Legal in Oklahoma now I might need some cookies and milk.

Tarbaby

Old Post 07-29-2019 02:35 AM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
you old farts are pondering on something you cant control. keep on trucking don't drell on the pass or on whats gonna be. iam 35 and fig I have another good 35 left in me. Ha Tar. lol

Ha! Wait until you see how fast that next 35 years goes. Pretty sure I'll have gone home by then but you may remember someone telling you they'd fly by!
Aging and diminishing physical health are all a part of life that leads to eventual physical death. The thing we can choose though is how gracefully we accept those facts..........and that my young friend is not done in the last days of life. That's something you purpose in your heart and soul to do as you make your way through the good years. It's called finishing well!

Old Post 07-29-2019 03:15 AM