UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do possums ?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 324

Oh, another thing...Once several years ago, an old man was telling us that you couldn't be too tough on a dog that time of the year(it was spring at the time). He claimed the coons and possums got pollen on them and the dog couldn't tell them apart. I just looked at my friend and said "Now we know what Drummer has been doing lately".

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2019 01:00 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 821

I heard possum taste like chicken...😳🤥

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2019 01:02 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TarheelBLue
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Hillsborough, North Carolina
Posts: 170

Possums

Not sure how a possum smells compared to a coon. But I do know what my daddy told me about eating them. He said they had a big old wooden barrel behind the barn and when they caught a possum they'd put the possum in the barrel and feed it cow feed for a couple of weeks and fatten him up. Then...they'd eat it and he said it was good. They never ate coon because there were no coon back then. They were proud of their dogs treeing possums. Folks around here say my love for coonhunting comes from my family roots, all my folks were known as poor dirt farmers and possum hunters!!

__________________
Home of GRNITE CH GRCH Insane's Stylish Sounder
919-619-1648
Ted Andrews

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2019 03:02 AM
TarheelBLue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TarheelBLue Click here to Send TarheelBLue a Private Message Click Here to Email TarheelBLue Find more posts by TarheelBLue Add TarheelBLue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Posts: 17534

My grandma would put them in a cage and feed them for a couple of days to "clean them out". She said that you had to do that because they were scavengers and ate rotten stuff.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2019 03:36 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 821

Where I grew up we had many possums and I was going to make money selling the hides...them suckers smell nasty and it is hard to wash the smell off your hands...the meat is a very pretty colored light colored meat...looks like armadillo meat...dillo does taste really good on the pit or fried like fried chicken...

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2019 05:50 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Apr 2015
Location: church hill tn
Posts: 3414

Mr. Lambert

Some of these mountain folks may have been poor and ate what they could catch and kill off the land, but they had a lot if pride. They did not want handouts or help from the government back in the day. Welfare was not something they depended on or wanted, pride meant something to most of them. Today, well let's just say that welfare has stripped a lot of pride from a lot of folks. Seems like they accept it willingly and for as long as we will continue to dish it out. Worst thing that ever happened to poor people, they just don't realize it, is the Welfare system. Take a man's pride away from him and you have robbed him of something that can never be returned or replaced. The shame was not being poor, it was letting your dignity and pride be taken away and relying on welfare. Dave

__________________
Dave Richards Treeing Walkers Reg American Saddlebred and Registered Rocky Mt. Show Horses

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2019 05:55 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Dec 2013
Location: Nichols Ny
Posts: 1213

Re: Mr. Lambert

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Richards
Some of these mountain folks may have been poor and ate what they could catch and kill off the land, but they had a lot if pride. They did not want handouts or help from the government back in the day. Welfare was not something they depended on or wanted, pride meant something to most of them. Today, well let's just say that welfare has stripped a lot of pride from a lot of folks. Seems like they accept it willingly and for as long as we will continue to dish it out. Worst thing that ever happened to poor people, they just don't realize it, is the Welfare system. Take a man's pride away from him and you have robbed him of something that can never be returned or replaced. The shame was not being poor, it was letting your dignity and pride be taken away and relying on welfare. Dave [/QTE]



I won't say that there's no pride today but it seems to not be taught like it was. Just like a man's word used to mean something and it still does to some but nothing to others. I agree with people not wanting hand outs when times were tough. I still know a few that won't ask or take any help if offered but not many. Me personally, I would rather struggle and work 4x as hard to do a job than ask for help.

__________________
Eric DePue

PKC CH Wax's Late Night Boom
And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2019 01:42 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Jun 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2114

quote:
Originally posted by Clif Owen
That's not limited to up north. I saw a commercial fisherman pull up to a store and folks would buy those buffalo and throw them right in the trunk to carry home. No idea how they got the smell out of the car.
The fish might have improved the smell of the car.

__________________
Donald Bergeron

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2019 03:51 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Apr 2015
Location: church hill tn
Posts: 3414

Eric DePue

You are my kind of man, I still value my word just as my father and grandfather's did. I don't mind helping others, in fact we are supposed to help each other in times of need. What I am against is fully supporting folks who make no real effort to help themselves. Welfare should be a temporary means to help someone for a short time until THEY can get on their feet. Welfare has turned into fulltime support for those unwilling to help themselves and now we have several generations of some families that survive solely on welfare. Who thinks that this is acceptable? Government politicians who want the vote and don't have the guts to put an end to this nonsense. Chinese proverb says give a man a fish and you have fed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime. Dave

__________________
Dave Richards Treeing Walkers Reg American Saddlebred and Registered Rocky Mt. Show Horses

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2019 07:36 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Jan 2007
Location: monroeville OH
Posts: 2549

before I hit the hills ! say one thing !! you all were born with a silver spoon in your mouth sounds like to me! lol that dang welfare thing has been around for 60 plus yrs prob more than that. that's what those poor hill people lived on [back when]

__________________
C.JONES

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 01:02 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 821

I talked with the old guys back in the early 1970s that lived through the depression and this is one thing I do remember very well what one friend said to me...he said going to school barefooted with old patched up clothing and with a boiled egg or potato for lunch wasn’t embarrassing at all because almost all kids were equal in poverty during those times...it was tough if you are one of the few in poverty in a well to do school...

I like that song by Alabama...Song of the South where they Sind that part...

Someone told us that Wall Street failed...but we were so poor that we couldn’t tell...

That right there I knew very well...but hard work and striving to be the go to man pays off...

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 01:27 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Apr 2015
Location: church hill tn
Posts: 3414

Carson

No silver spoon in my mouth, just a good raising by parents that taught me the value of earning what you get in life, no welfare in my families. Dad always said he would rather push a wheel barrow and own it, than drive a Caddy and owe for it. We did not grow up poor, but I knew a lot of folks that did and they were not on welfare. I have hunted all over these mountains in some pretty remote areas and the one thing I always admired about our mountain folks were their sense of pride. It's plain unthinkable to me that 3 generations of the same family can grow up living off welfare and that any system would tolerate such behavior. Help is something and that crap is completely different. Google search the amount of welfare of all types our government spends each year and tell me how successful welfare has been. They pay for them to go to school only to have them not work because they would lose their government benefits. Welfare has done more harm than benefit to the poor people of this country. Drive by a housing project and see how many able bodied men you see loading around doing absolutely nothing, we are supporting a class of people that now thinks it's their right to live off the goverment. Politicians prey on this belief and make no effort to stop this nonsense, afraid they won't get reelected. Our goverment is bankrupt, just like several states and many cities, our national debt is overwhelming and getting worse every year. We should be operating on a balanced budget, not going deeper in debt every year. Dave

__________________
Dave Richards Treeing Walkers Reg American Saddlebred and Registered Rocky Mt. Show Horses

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 07:54 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 821

Re: Carson

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
No silver spoon in my mouth, just a good raising by parents that taught me the value of earning what you get in life, no welfare in my families. Dad always said he would rather push a wheel barrow and own it, than drive a Caddy and owe for it. We did not grow up poor, but I knew a lot of folks that did and they were not on welfare. I have hunted all over these mountains in some pretty remote areas and the one thing I always admired about our mountain folks were their sense of pride. It's plain unthinkable to me that 3 generations of the same family can grow up living off welfare and that any system would tolerate such behavior. Help is something and that crap is completely different. Google search the amount of welfare of all types our government spends each year and tell me how successful welfare has been. They pay for them to go to school only to have them not work because they would lose their government benefits. Welfare has done more harm than benefit to the poor people of this country. Drive by a housing project and see how many able bodied men you see loading around doing absolutely nothing, we are supporting a class of people that now thinks it's their right to live off the goverment. Politicians prey on this belief and make no effort to stop this nonsense, afraid they won't get reelected. Our goverment is bankrupt, just like several states and many cities, our national debt is overwhelming and getting worse every year. We should be operating on a balanced budget, not going deeper in debt every year. Dave


I totally agree...

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 10:33 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Jan 2013
Location: Marietta
Posts: 9435

We was all poor everybody I knew was poor but we worked hard every day. That government hand out commodities Often made the difference if we ate or not. Buuuuuuuuut that one gallon can of hominey when you run out of everything else was better than nothing but next to it lol. I hate hominey!!!


Green cans with black letters no Libby’s or del monte or green giant either lol. And whole chicken in a can lol.


Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 10-18-2019 at 11:53 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 11:49 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KEVIN MOSES
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Jan 2013
Location: ATHENS,TN.
Posts: 193

I work with a guy that was raised in a car when he was a kid a big part of his life. Never had any government help when growing up. Now he is educated. highly successful, very financially stable and makes good money. He could have easily chosen the "victim" role but didn't.

My mom, uncles and aunts were raised in a log cabin in a holler without indoor plumbing till almost a teenager. My mom, aunts and uncles turned out to be successful people. Once again, no victims.

My grandpa told a story about a man back in the old days around Monroe County Tennessee that was too lazy to work. It was cold winter and his wife and kids didn't have wood for woodstove. A bunch of local guys got together and went to his house, dragged his lazy butt out of bed and beat the crap out of him. They told him everytime they went by his house and that woodshed was out of wood they were going to beat the crap out of him over and over. Needless to say the woodshed stayed full from then on. People policed themselves back then.

**And yeah they ate several possums**

__________________
***(POACHER PLOTT HOUNDS)***

*NT.CH. MOSES' RUGGED RIDGE POACHER*

*GR.NT.CH. MOSES' PRETTYBOY POACHER*

*FCH CH GRNITECH SHATLEY LOBO*

http://www.poacherplotthounds.com/

Last edited by KEVIN MOSES on 10-18-2019 at 12:40 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 12:37 PM
KEVIN MOSES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KEVIN MOSES Click here to Send KEVIN MOSES a Private Message Click Here to Email KEVIN MOSES Visit KEVIN MOSES's homepage! Find more posts by KEVIN MOSES Add KEVIN MOSES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Jan 2007
Location: monroeville OH
Posts: 2549

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
We was all poor everybody I knew was poor but we worked hard every day. That government hand out commodities Often made the difference if we ate or not. Buuuuuuuuut that one gallon can of hominey when you run out of everything else was better than nothing but next to it lol. I hate hominey!!!


Green cans with black letters no Libby’s or del monte or green giant either lol. And whole chicken in a can lol.


Tar

your right tar ! Dammm cant believe I just said that. Butt for those that had all the food to eat and didn't know what it was like to go to school hungry ! All you do is go by what people say it was like. some of us lived it and we know what it was like. OOOdid I say silver spoon!! lol

__________________
C.JONES

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 03:06 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 821

My wife is in hospital for a procedure and she will be better soon...

The night RN is the best of all that have taken care of my wife...this morning he was saying goodbye to my wife and me because we will be gone before he comes back to work...he named my wife Queen Elizabeth on account her name is Liz...he was always upbeat and very nice to both of us...he said he treated all patients special because it was a part of his job...

Before he left out I asked him if he was born in another country because of his accent...he said was born in West Africa...I asked him if it was hard growing up there...he said it is the same anywhere you go...the only difference is that here there is way more opportunities...

He has been in the good Ole USA for 18 years now and he is a registered nurse...said he received his refrigeration certificate and will get his plumbing certification sometime in the near future...

Said right now his three kids have his head spinning because all three are in college...I had to shake his hand and welcomed him aboard the good Ole USA...

I think that if he had the drive to get here from so far away he has the drive to succeed...

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 03:09 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Dec 2013
Location: Nichols Ny
Posts: 1213

Re: Eric DePue

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
You are my kind of man, I still value my word just as my father and grandfather's did. I don't mind helping others, in fact we are supposed to help each other in times of need. What I am against is fully supporting folks who make no real effort to help themselves. Welfare should be a temporary means to help someone for a short time until THEY can get on their feet. Welfare has turned into fulltime support for those unwilling to help themselves and now we have several generations of some families that survive solely on welfare. Who thinks that this is acceptable? Government politicians who want the vote and don't have the guts to put an end to this nonsense. Chinese proverb says give a man a fish and you have fed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime. Dave



When the system was setup originally in the depression it wasn't supposed to be a long term program and still shouldn't be. It should be setup just like unemployment. You get _____ amount for assistance a week for 26 weeks or until you have a job. Now the profession that seems to be need help and most are on it is a shame. That profession is Farmers. They sell all products at whole sale and pay shipping both ways. Hopefully they get some raises soon.
I'm a welder by profession, and when the local farmers around here call me I don't charge the same rate as I would as other people or companies. I can't justify charging them a rate that makes them financially unstable. Because most of them can weld and when they call me its bad messed up enough that they can't fix it. Now I know several other guys that have said it doesn't bother them to charge a flat rate across the board, and doesn't matter who the customer is. I have argued until I'm blue in the face with these guys about it. And it honestly gets me more work. Because the farmers tell others about my work, not my rate.
I didn't grow up poor, I grew up middle class. My Dad grew up poor. And in the past 3 months I was reminded of it daily. When you go through a loved ones personal toolbox and storage containers after they pass on and you find countless items that cost pennies or nickels that they had saved for repurposing because that's how he was raised. I don't know too many that pull nails and screws to re-use them. Or go to the local dump to remove anything that he could re-use or repurpose. I have caught myself in the past doing similar things but not to the extent he did.

__________________
Eric DePue

PKC CH Wax's Late Night Boom
And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 05:18 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Apr 2015
Location: church hill tn
Posts: 3414

Helping others

I totally support helping others in time of need. I fully believe in the commodity program that provides food to those in need. What I am against is the Welfare system that provides full support to several generations of the same family. No one should support a system that is so flawed that 3 generations can not seem to find a way to support themselves. Welfare should be short term not life time, how can anyone favor a system that is so flawed. We have lots of elderly folks that need help but do not qualify for benefits, while we support young unmarried women that choose to have kids in order to get benefits, supporting able bodied young men who live off of the baby moms benefits. Now that's what should have everyone mad, our welfare system needs to be overhauled, this nonsense needs to stop. Dave

__________________
Dave Richards Treeing Walkers Reg American Saddlebred and Registered Rocky Mt. Show Horses

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 10:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Dec 2013
Location: Nichols Ny
Posts: 1213

Re: Helping others

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I totally support helping others in time of need. I fully believe in the commodity program that provides food to those in need. What I am against is the Welfare system that provides full support to several generations of the same family. No one should support a system that is so flawed that 3 generations can not seem to find a way to support themselves. Welfare should be short term not life time, how can anyone favor a system that is so flawed. We have lots of elderly folks that need help but do not qualify for benefits, while we support young unmarried women that choose to have kids in order to get benefits, supporting able bodied young men who live off of the baby moms benefits. Now that's what should have everyone mad, our welfare system needs to be overhauled, this nonsense needs to stop. Dave



I agree with what you're saying. There's no reason for able bodied people not just men to be getting assistance for more than a short time period. When I was 24 I was recently divorced with a 2 year old son. I made too much for assistance but couldn't afford to eat myself. So I got 2 jobs.

__________________
Eric DePue

PKC CH Wax's Late Night Boom
And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 10:49 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Apr 2015
Location: church hill tn
Posts: 3414

Eric

Your situation is one of many where temporary help would be justified. Sadly, the system is geared towards those who don't want to work, they choose to remain QUALIFIED for all of the benefits they can get. Our elderly folks on a fixed income that own their homes don't qualify for any help or little help, while these young people who don't own anything but choose to have a bunch of kids out of wedlock qualify for every benefit available and let the baby daddy live off their benefits. We are definitely supporting a messed up system. I am in favor of short term help, but not this generation supported system we have at the present. Dave

__________________
Dave Richards Treeing Walkers Reg American Saddlebred and Registered Rocky Mt. Show Horses

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 11:38 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 821

Re: Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Your situation is one of many where temporary help would be justified. Sadly, the system is geared towards those who don't want to work, they choose to remain QUALIFIED for all of the benefits they can get. Our elderly folks on a fixed income that own their homes don't qualify for any help or little help, while these young people who don't own anything but choose to have a bunch of kids out of wedlock qualify for every benefit available and let the baby daddy live off their benefits. We are definitely supporting a messed up system. I am in favor of short term help, but not this generation supported system we have at the present. Dave


No doubt the system is broken...we need to somehow penalize the parent for having too many kids and somehow protecting the kids at the same time that are already born into the system and teaching them that good work ethics is better than living in the welfare system...

What is really jacked up is like you said about qualifying for assistance...the person who never has saved will qualify for assistance but the person who has lived wisely who owns a home will not qualify for help...my uncle had to sign his house over to the government before he could get help...he can live in it until he dies...he was hoping to leave it to his children...

Right now there are many other issues facing our nation that is affecting how we live and things are getting rather lopsided...

What is crazy is the price of healthcare...medical insurance is skyrocketing, pharmaceuticals can’t cure anything and then we have co-pays on top of all that...

It is a double edge sword...if we were to find a cure for all major diseases our health care costs should drop drastically but then at least 25 percent or more of the work force would be out of work...there are many businesses tied to healthcare...

Healthcare will never go away but it shouldn’t take such a big piece of the pie...

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-19-2019 10:17 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Dec 2013
Location: Nichols Ny
Posts: 1213

Re: Re: Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
No doubt the system is broken...we need to somehow penalize the parent for having too many kids and somehow protecting the kids at the same time that are already born into the system and teaching them that good work ethics is better than living in the welfare system...

What is really jacked up is like you said about qualifying for assistance...the person who never has saved will qualify for assistance but the person who has lived wisely who owns a home will not qualify for help...my uncle had to sign his house over to the government before he could get help...he can live in it until he dies...he was hoping to leave it to his children...

Right now there are many other issues facing our nation that is affecting how we live and things are getting rather lopsided...

What is crazy is the price of healthcare...medical insurance is skyrocketing, pharmaceuticals can’t cure anything and then we have co-pays on top of all that...

It is a double edge sword...if we were to find a cure for all major diseases our health care costs should drop drastically but then at least 25 percent or more of the work force would be out of work...there are many businesses tied to healthcare...

Healthcare will never go away but it shouldn’t take such a big piece of the pie...



Funny you mentioned healthcare. I recently had back surgury. And the Doctors exact words to me about the cost is it was cheaper for all healthcare before Obama care came about whether you had insurance or not. And the reason I had to get a second job in my mid 20's was because of insurance. I didn't make enough off of 1 job that I had to pay my bills and have health insurance at the time.

But back to opossums ..... I don't know what they taste like and I imagine I won't find out any time soon. But I am thinking of trying porcupine. We have an abundance of those devil spawns here.

__________________
Eric DePue

PKC CH Wax's Late Night Boom
And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-19-2019 01:20 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 821

When I retired from the big company in 2006 my insurance payment was about 320 a month for my wife and myself...after Obamacare kicked in my monthly premium is now 1280 a month...still have deductibles, copays and pharmaceuticals copays...

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-19-2019 03:54 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CWard
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Aug 2018
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Posts: 36

People nowadays Want the Check but don’t want the Work!
If the Liberals get their way we all will be in trouble.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-20-2019 03:59 AM
CWard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWard Click here to Send CWard a Private Message Find more posts by CWard Add CWard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread


Forum Jump:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
< Contact Us - The United Kennel Club >

Copyright 2003-2017, United Kennel Club
Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.0
(vBulletin courtesy Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.)