UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Idea for specific hunts for honest coonhounds
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
W.O. Outlaw
UKC Forum Member

Idea for specific hunts for honest coonhounds

Has UKC given the thought of having Specific HTX hunts? There are many hunters out there that I believe would compete in competition hunts if they knew they would be competing against honest coonhounds. Poor breeding practices have created silent mouth, agressive, slick treeing dogs that have no mouth. I think HTX only hunts would allow the hunters with true honest coonhounds to compete in a State and World Hunt and shocase a true coondog.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-17-2019 05:03 AM
W.O. Outlaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for W.O. Outlaw Click here to Send W.O. Outlaw a Private Message Click Here to Email W.O. Outlaw Find more posts by W.O. Outlaw Add W.O. Outlaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

100%

Absolutely!!! Great idea and I’d be one to enter for sure !!

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Old Post 02-17-2019 05:15 AM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buckmaster27012
UKC Forum Member

Wouldn't you still end up with aggressive hounds in these hunts. Aren't the HTX hunts alone so you wouldn't know till put the dog with another one. Lost a hunt last week to one that would run a dog off a tree but he could tree his own coon so he won. That is how it normally goes, the touchy dogs always have the meat.

Old Post 02-17-2019 01:26 PM
buckmaster27012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buckmaster27012 Click here to Send buckmaster27012 a Private Message Click Here to Email buckmaster27012 Find more posts by buckmaster27012 Add buckmaster27012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

Honest hounds? Where you gonna find a full hunt full of honest handlers?

Old Post 02-17-2019 03:29 PM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

all handlers are honest..if you don't believe it just ask one.where would you find three other handlers that would stand up and say one was dishonest?

Old Post 02-17-2019 03:54 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

I know several that would say someone cheats, and they probably do or have as well. The meaning of my statement was that as long as people are involved, your not gonna have true anything, someone always...... It up.

Old Post 02-17-2019 03:58 PM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Idea for specific hunts for honest coonhounds

quote:
Originally posted by W.O. Outlaw
Has UKC given the thought of having Specific HTX hunts? There are many hunters out there that I believe would compete in competition hunts if they knew they would be competing against honest coonhounds. Poor breeding practices have created silent mouth, agressive, slick treeing dogs that have no mouth. I think HTX only hunts would allow the hunters with true honest coonhounds to compete in a State and World Hunt and shocase a true coondog.

Great idea. Take a format that has prolly the lowest attendance of any event that UKC sanctions and use it as the basis for a new nite hunt scheme.
All this grousing about dishonest dogs, and still you just can't seem to comprehend that if your dog trees more coons, you will win it more often than not. But that is always the big rub, treeing more coons is not easy. So lets just come up with a new nite hunt scheme that precludes those chiteaters doing all the winning today and maybe your dog can then win tommarrow. Friggen brilliant.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 02-17-2019 04:00 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W.O. Outlaw
UKC Forum Member

Honest hound

The reason for the lowest attendance is due to how people have bred their hounds. They breed for silent mouth track dogs, and concentrate on hard tree dogs. If somethings not done to correct this, the balanced hound will eventually disappear. The mouth of hounds has suffered to this type breeding also. Most sound like house dogs now. Not all but most.

Old Post 02-17-2019 07:15 PM
W.O. Outlaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for W.O. Outlaw Click here to Send W.O. Outlaw a Private Message Click Here to Email W.O. Outlaw Find more posts by W.O. Outlaw Add W.O. Outlaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

The reason for low attendance at HTX events has absolutely nothing to do with how people have bred hounds. It simply reflects the fact that people will not drive to an event and pay an entry fee to participate in an event that is not competitive.
I think that the original idea involved offering something specifically for the non-competitive types. But those non-competitives don't travel to events and they don't pay entry fees.

Old Post 02-17-2019 07:35 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: Honest hound

quote:
Originally posted by W.O. Outlaw
The reason for the lowest attendance is due to how people have bred their hounds. They breed for silent mouth track dogs, and concentrate on hard tree dogs. If somethings not done to correct this, the balanced hound will eventually disappear. The mouth of hounds has suffered to this type breeding also. Most sound like house dogs now. Not all but most.

WOW Last week it was The babblers fault for low turn out.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 02-17-2019 07:42 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Handlers

The handler would have to be pretty honest if he was hunting by himself he couldn't pitch his dog or strike him if he was silent or any of that.

Old Post 02-17-2019 07:45 PM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Honest hound

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
WOW Last week it was The babblers fault for low turn out.

Yeah, and this week the whole problem is these silent dogs being pitched in for dishonest strike points by cheating handlers......sheesh.

Old Post 02-17-2019 07:55 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

Jim and Tim are spot on, people will blame everything from babblers silent track, poor mouth, etc to why the hunts are down. We all know this just isn't the case if someone has a coondogs, they will hunt and win these Hunts. I never cared what the other handlers were hunting, still don't care. My dog should not pay any attention to other dogs, if a silent dog beats me, I need a better dog. If a babbler beats men I need a better dog. I have owned silent mouth dogs that treed a lot of coons and could win hunts, but the very best dogs I have owned or hunted with have been open trailing dogs. A coondog should prevail and win most hunts, if you are losing more than you are winning, then blame your dog and not what some other dog did or didn't do. Dave

Old Post 02-17-2019 07:57 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Honest hound

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Yeah, and this week the whole problem is these silent dogs being pitched in for dishonest strike points by cheating handlers......sheesh.

How do you find a place to pitch them on strike when the babblers getting struck under the minute off the snap ? My dogs are open but I always get 3rd or last strike in a hunt.

Coon eyes matter !

Don't blame the coons !

Tar

Old Post 02-17-2019 08:05 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Haven't you always advocated that a 3/4 strike dog that tree more coon will win most hunts? Guess what, they will win most hunts! Give me a coondogs and I don't care what the other dogs do, they can be silent, or babble all night. Ability is way more important than the dogs style. If I lose, it's usually due to a better coondogs beating me, has nothing to do with open or silent, babbling or not, no excuses, it's dog power. Dave

Old Post 02-17-2019 08:42 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Man could take a 25 strike and 25 tree dog right now and win a lot of hunts. Never in the history of coonhunting has it been easier to win a Coonhunt.

Tar

Old Post 02-17-2019 08:58 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Wow, I must be farther out of the loop than I thought. I know anything can win a cast upon occasion but I sure would have a hard time getting myself to show up with a 25/25 dog. Not sure I could even feed something like that. SMH.

Old Post 02-17-2019 09:31 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkintar
Man could take a 25 strike and 25 tree dog right now and win a lot of hunts. Never in the history of coonhunting has it been easier to win a Coonhunt.

Tar
[/QUOTE

Or as my Dad would have said.....WLoBS.

Old Post 02-17-2019 09:33 PM
yadkintar
Banned

You sure are out of the loop Jim you ain't ever kept your mouth shut and let dogs catch a bunch of minus and just take what you needed for the win ? With only one cast or two at the hunts a 50+ point cast win is just as good as a 1000+ point cast win now !

But you already knew that right lol ?

Tar

Old Post 02-17-2019 09:37 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I agree with Jim, no way would I feed that kind of dog. I pleasure hunt more than competition hunt, but I hunt the same dogs whatever I am doing pleasure or competition hunting. I hunt the best dogs I can hunt, I hunt for fun and discovered early in life that a good dog does not eat any more than a so so dog. I don't like to waste my time or dog feed now that a good feed costs over a dollar a pound. Lol. I also, expect to win when I enter a hunt, does not always happen but more often than not. Dave

Old Post 02-17-2019 10:14 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Nothing wrong with packing a top dog. But I get in a cast with guys that are gunning when they ain't got that kind of dog taking a bunch of minus I am going to take just enough to stay ahead. Go back and look at the books that still got the scores in them you will see more low scores than big ones it's public knowledge look it up and get back to me lol.

I hate being right all the time I would like to be wrong one time just to see how it feels lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-17-2019 10:21 PM
W.O. Outlaw
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

I competition hunted hard in the 80's and I feel confident saying the dogs that won back then would make most of today's dogs look sick. Try drawing, Lipper, Cash, Lawyer, Rank, etc, etc and then tell me again that you have a true honest coondog. I will hand you a mirror and show you a fool. Back then fast game was a worry when training dogs not trying to breed them independent or silent.

Old Post 02-18-2019 12:31 AM
yadkintar
Banned

W.o outlaw you got me curious I was were you were and hunting against those same dogs at that time we should know each other. You are right they were different dogs and the hunts were bigger and harder to win. 3 hrs on younger legs lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-18-2019 12:53 AM
W.O. Outlaw
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like Yadkintar knows what I'm talkin about!!! If he is who I think he is, he owned a fine coonhound called Tar Rattler and lived not far from me in the 80's. Never drew him but heard about his hounds and knew they were hard to beat.

Old Post 02-18-2019 12:57 AM
W.O. Outlaw
UKC Forum Member

Yes sir I thought that was you!! I was hunting a nice little English dog back then. I never got drawer on the same cast as you but always wished I would have. Are you still keeping your line going?

Old Post 02-18-2019 01:00 AM