UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Alfph - tone, vibrate or e-stim
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MorAnd
UKC Forum Member

Garmin Alpha - tone, vibrate or e-stim

Just curious - when do you use tone and when do you use vibrate? And, what's your reasoning for using whichever you're using? And, lastly, at what point after the tone or vibrate doesn't give the results you want, do you apply stimulus?

Last edited by MorAnd on 10-18-2020 at 12:33 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2020 11:19 PM
MorAnd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MorAnd Click here to Send MorAnd a Private Message Find more posts by MorAnd Add MorAnd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

This is an interesting question. The answer has to come from you and it has to be wiell thought out. Since your on a coon hound board I assume you coon hunt. There are over a dozen different ways we use our hounds and field dogs and each sector probably has a slightly different opinion on this.

Me personally. I use tone to teach my dogs to come to me. Other that that the rest of the stuff is hardly ever used.

I was on the phone with a Friend the other day that uses tone on his dogs for them to come in. He just purchased a hound that was trained to find new area when toned. So you have almost opposite methods right there for the tone feature. Also with the shocking. Many don't want their dog to associate the stimulation with them (the handler). They want it associated with the off game the dog is doing or the negative act the dog is doing.

Lot of my deer hunting friends need to stop a pack of hard running dogs in an instant. To keep them off roads or posted land. Many have theirs trained to stop on the tone and if not when stimulated. Yes 30 minutes later they are running another deer with them. I know coon hunters think you shock one on deer they don't run them anymore. It is all in the application and the environment. Good luck finding the path you want to take with your hounds.

Old Post 10-18-2020 12:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

As Bruce said, you have to make sure your dog knows why it is being toned or shocked first. You will drive them crazy if they don't know why.

Old Post 10-18-2020 02:17 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Tone means stop whatever you are doing right now at my house. You get to warnings then bumped with the shock. Vibrate means come to me, if they don't come after being called.

I live in OH and we have some nice size bean and corn fields that can ruin your nite if a young dog gets in them. Mine get 5 min to move a coon out, they can't tree a coon in beans. So I tone them out, if they come near me I grab them and flip them right into the woods. I won't shock them out for running a coon. They learn pretty fast there being toned for being in the field. If I have to shock them off a coon because they are running near danger (roads ect..) I get to them as fast as I can an pet them up for coming.

Old Post 10-18-2020 03:06 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Everyone trains differently and there is no "best" way. There are only "good" ways. At my house, shock means quit what you are doing and go on. Tone means come to me.

Old Post 10-18-2020 06:27 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Had a guy come up and hunt with me for a weekend yrs back. He had a pretty nice dog the 1st nite. By the end of the weekend the dog wouldn't leave his feet. He shock the dog for every thing he didn't like. Then couldn't understand why the dog wouldn't hunt.

Old Post 10-19-2020 01:19 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
Had a guy come up and hunt with me for a weekend yrs back. He had a pretty nice dog the 1st nite. By the end of the weekend the dog wouldn't leave his feet. He shock the dog for every thing he didn't like. Then couldn't understand why the dog wouldn't hunt.
I have seen the same thing happen before and I have seen some fellows that wouldn't shock a dog for anything and just left the dog do whatever he wanted. There's a happy medium. There's even a middle of the road for the amount of juice. Not to mention every dog is different. There are houndsmen and some are not.

Old Post 10-19-2020 02:15 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Yes, all dogs are not the same. It takes a lot of juice for some hard headed dogs and some will freeze up with just a little.

Old Post 10-19-2020 05:28 PM
MorAnd
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm a coon hunter. I'm training a pretty nice young dog which I haven't done in a while. Also, I am sorta old school and usually would rather correct with the switch when I can rather than the collar. I guess I'm getting old and now find it easier to use the collar. I'm training this young dog with the e-collar to do several things at the same time - which you might disagree with. I'm putting handle on him to come when called, to leave a bad track along after he's spent more time in the same area to my liking, stopping him from running/hunting down the road and occasionally have bumped him from off game. I've been using the tone to get him to "come", the vibrate to "move him" off a track that he
s spend too much time on, use the stimulus to get him off a road and stimulus on off game.

Sometimes I ask myself if I may be working on too many things at once and if I may be confusing him - which is why I posed the question. So far I'm seeing success in everything I'm training him on, but I always like to hear the opinion of others.

Old Post 10-22-2020 09:52 PM
MorAnd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MorAnd Click here to Send MorAnd a Private Message Find more posts by MorAnd Add MorAnd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MorAnd
Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm a coon hunter. I'm training a pretty nice young dog which I haven't done in a while. Also, I am sorta old school and usually would rather correct with the switch when I can rather than the collar. I guess I'm getting old and now find it easier to use the collar. I'm training this young dog with the e-collar to do several things at the same time - which you might disagree with. I'm putting handle on him to come when called, to leave a bad track along after he's spent more time in the same area to my liking, stopping him from running/hunting down the road and occasionally have bumped him from off game. I've been using the tone to get him to "come", the vibrate to "move him" off a track that he
s spend too much time on, use the stimulus to get him off a road and stimulus on off game.

Sometimes I ask myself if I may be working on too many things at once and if I may be confusing him - which is why I posed the question. So far I'm seeing success in everything I'm training him on, but I always like to hear the opinion of others.

Sounds like you are doing a good job and that you have a dog with enough brains to understand the different signals. Good luck. Dave

Old Post 10-22-2020 10:42 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChrisS22
UKC Forum Member

In my training I keep it simple...

Tone means COME!
Vibrate means GO!
E-stimulation means NO!

Old Post 10-26-2020 06:00 PM
ChrisS22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisS22 Click here to Send ChrisS22 a Private Message Click Here to Email ChrisS22 Find more posts by ChrisS22 Add ChrisS22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote