UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do thyroid pills hurt dogs mouth?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CStephenson
UKC Forum Member

Do thyroid pills hurt dogs mouth?

I have never had to deal with a dog with a low thyroid before. So this maybe a dumb question. My female started acting weird and was completely not herself. So took her to the vet had all the test ran they could. Came back with a low thyroid. Switch her to pro plan sport and now on 1 pill a day for her thyroid. Let her sit in the kennel for 2 weeks and took her out for a short hunt. She treed 2 coons so we came home. Took her out 2 days later and her voice is awful. Cant hear her over 300 yards at all. Would the pill cause this?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-2020 01:50 AM
CStephenson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CStephenson Click here to Send CStephenson a Private Message Click Here to Email CStephenson Find more posts by CStephenson Add CStephenson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Never seen the thyroid pill cause anything with their mouth.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-19-2020 02:05 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CStephenson
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for replying. I dont have a clue what's going on now. She hunted maybe 45 mins to a hour and wasnt treed any longer then normal. I guess I will call the vet monday and see if they can figure anything out.

Old Post 01-19-2020 02:10 AM
CStephenson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CStephenson Click here to Send CStephenson a Private Message Click Here to Email CStephenson Find more posts by CStephenson Add CStephenson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Reaction to the feed

I think she is having a reaction to a ingredient or filler in the Pro Plan Sport. I fed Victor Professional for many years but switched to Pro Plan Sport a couple months ago. Within 2 weeks my male was not himself, not performing good, drinking way more water than he ever had and his voice was hoarse. I had the blood work done and everything was fine. I had someone tell me they had bad experience with the same feed so I switched to Pro Plan Fucus with Salmon about 4 weeks ago. He is back to his old self and looking and sounding great. Truly believe he had allergic reaction to something in that feed. Get her off the feed and give her a piece of bread with some raw honey and mustard on it each day for a week. Bet that will fix her right up.

Old Post 01-19-2020 02:58 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CStephenson
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the info. She was on pro plan when I got her. I was feeding value pak and switched her to that. But she wasn't doing good on it so I switched her back to pro plan. She dont bark in the kennel at all. So I'm not sure what is going on with her.

Old Post 01-19-2020 07:56 PM
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Did you ever figure out what was going on with her voice?

Old Post 03-04-2020 01:30 AM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

People don’t understand that dogs are just like people only they have more drive and sometimes they are allergic to ingredients in dog food it does make a difference seen it make a complete turn around in a super nice hound it was dog food that was his problem. And it was good food but it didn’t agree with him I try and never switch feed on a dog I have raised especially if I’m hunting it hard.

Old Post 03-04-2020 03:12 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

The nerves that control the vocal cords are behind the thyroid gland on the front of the throat so absolutely yes the thyriod can cause problems with her voice. In humans it can be one of the first signs of problems. Inflammation in this area is most likely the culprit. Goiters, growths or could just be inflamed lymph nodes from something completely unrelated even to high of dose causing hyperthyroidism or her reaction to the sudden change in levels. Go back to your vet check for other underlying problems that could be cause of maybe both the low thyroid and the hoarseness.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 03-04-2020 at 05:18 AM

Old Post 03-04-2020 05:14 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Dog food

I have always fed victor red bag. For about a month I didn’t like the way the dogs looked and they seemed to have more stool than normal. Switched to pro plan for the past month and loved the way the dogs looked, nice shiny coats and little stool, but I wasn’t hunting hard due to weather and my dog recovering from injury. With nice weather and trying to get ready for $kc nationals I have been hunting hard the past week. Last night my dog sounds hoarse and almost as if his throat is swollen on the first two trees. I loosened his Garmin collar thinking that could be it. He sounds ok the rest of the night but not as he should. Tonight first tree 565 yards and I can barley hear him and again sounds horrible. I cut off that and he strikes a track and just sounds awful so we called it a night, not wanting to irritate it anymore. Really want to try and get it figured out with only two weeks left to get ready. Might just have to go back to victor and see what happens.

Old Post 03-04-2020 06:02 AM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

I DONT KNOW ABOUT CAUSE BUT 2 OR 3 CC'S OF YELLOW MUSTARD 2 OR 3 DAYS WILL FIX IT, THEY DONT MIND THE TASTE

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 03-04-2020 02:26 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

There is something wrong with the dog besides the thyroid.

Old Post 03-04-2020 03:44 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CStephenson
UKC Forum Member

I took her to a different vet and she tested positive for lyme. Caught it early and now on 30 days of doxycycline. Hoping she gets her mouth back the way it was.

Old Post 03-07-2020 04:27 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CStephenson
I took her to a different vet and she tested positive for lyme. Caught it early and now on 30 days of doxycycline. Hoping she gets her mouth back the way it was.

Her levels and mouth may return to normal after treatment. Glad you took her for second opinion.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-07-2020 04:30 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CStephenson
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the help and info. Found a new and more knowledgeable vet in the process.

Old Post 03-07-2020 04:44 AM