UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding Stock.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Breeding Stock.

How many of you have made a cross and the purpose was more to combine genetics for future breeding stock than it was to have a proven competition hound out of the litter.
Anyone want to admit to this. Lol.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2020 06:33 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I keep and hunt one out of every litter I raise.

Tar

Old Post 01-14-2020 07:47 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Breeding Stock

I've been doing it since 1973. I raise a litter every year with the main purpose being to produce a female that has the ability to carry on the next generation.

Old Post 01-14-2020 08:15 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

Anyone can get lucky and raise a one hit wonder. Maintaining and improving on a set of characteristics for generations is a totally different thing.

Old Post 01-15-2020 01:06 AM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ssgied
Anyone can get lucky and raise a one hit wonder. Maintaining and improving on a set of characteristics for generations is a totally different thing.

Yep...once the foundation is right the consistency improves as should performance...

Old Post 01-15-2020 01:13 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I am not a breeder. Just pure coon hunter. Have any of you guys that are breeders and have been doing it a long time reached a point with your hounds where you can know before they're born what kind of mouth, hunt style and tree style the pups will be and what percentage will make better than average dogs. I would think that would be a goal that a breeder would have.

Old Post 01-15-2020 03:02 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Every breeding we make is with a future breeding in mind.

Old Post 01-15-2020 04:50 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Every breeding that I make is to try to produce pups with the traits I want out of the cross. I don't ever look beyond the pups. I don't think about breeding a female until I see what her traits are. Only then do I start looking for a stud. And I never have a litter just to breed a pup from that litter to a certain Sire. I do look back however. I look at how similar crosses have worked in the past when considering a breeding. I guess that is part of being old. I look back more than I look forward.

Old Post 01-16-2020 12:03 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Bruce I am 20 yrs with the same line, and have added a second line, they are complementing each other nicely.
I learned a long time ago, go after the pleasure hunters and you will be allot happier 😊 Accuracy is what we hang our hat on.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 01-16-2020 09:44 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breeding Stock.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
How many of you have made a cross and the purpose was more to combine genetics for future breeding stock than it was to have a proven competition hound out of the litter.

The hardest thing is finding the right dogs to breed because of all the junk out there... I don’t competition hunt and never will...my thinking is that competition hunting creates dogs that more often than not are dogs I wouldn’t hunt...just one example...a colder nosed dog will spend more time running a track than treeing coons on average compared to a hotter nosed dog...so the dogs become hotter nosed over time (generations)...do I like a real cold nosed dog...no, but I don’t like a real hot nosed dog either...then you have titled dogs that are winners not because of their talent but because of their handlers talent to use the rules to their advantage...that right there tells me all I need to know...so folks are spinning their wheels chasing the latest fad or competition hunting rule change and this changes how many will breed...

Breeders should breed for a well rounded hunting dog and if that dog can’t win then the competition rules need to be changed because they must be wrong...

So I believe in breeding for a well rounded hunting dog...every breeding should be to maintain traits or to improve the desired traits and eliminating and minimizing the negatives traits...

And like it has been said many times...we can’t get there because many folks have different ideas on what a well rounded hunting dog is...through education we can improve...

Old Post 01-18-2020 11:33 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breeding Stock.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

Me.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-18-2020 11:45 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Breeding Stock.

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
...then you have titled dogs that are winners not because of their talent but because of their handlers talent to use the rules to their advantage...that right there tells me all I need to know...so folks are spinning their wheels chasing the latest fad or competition hunting rule change and this changes how many will breed...

Nobody is chasing studs to breed to that are only popular because of a handler. That is one of the biggest myths in coon hunting and it is constantly told by people who "don't competition hunt."

It's simply not true.

Old Post 01-18-2020 01:16 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Not because there is anything wrong with it but just like in my case most of the quality studs have always been at least 10 hrs away. The average working joe don’t have the time off or the money to utilize them. Then if you don’t get pups that’s anouther story. So most just use what’s close and convenient. In other words they just do the best they can with what they have. I can’t count the free breedings and pups that were given to me over the years just because they knew I would hunt them.

Tar

Old Post 01-18-2020 01:25 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Everyone knows (Thinks) the best dog to breed to is across the state line LOL!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-18-2020 02:06 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Everyone knows (Thinks) the best dog to breed to is across the state line LOL!

There have been some top studs here in the past. But there are no big hunts to showcase them anymore and because of the long distance and expense of traveling to showcase one at major hunts plus you ain’t going to hog tie and drag them northern boys past 40 studs down here to breed. Missouri has some good studs but even that is 5 hrs one way from me. Most have just learned to do the best they can with what they have available. Plus people want to hunt with the studs now and you don’t want to show him down here if he ain’t the real deal. Most just hunt their studs in the big $$$ hunts they can win more $$$ in one night that they can setting at home waiting on stud fees.

Tar

Old Post 01-18-2020 02:23 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I was just saying people think the best dogs are across the state line, Missouri/ Kentucky/ Texas an many more has top studs or pups but they come to NC or Ohio, people in NC go to Missouri or Ohio, that’s in no particular order it’s just a sample, people cross the state line because of social media or just plan jealousy, my last females came from Missouri, Wisconsin an Tennessee.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-18-2020 03:06 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I’ve NEVER made a cross and thought this is gonna make a great comp dog. Every cross I’ve ever made I’ve made thinking this is going to produce a dog anyone would be proud to own.

That’s the problem with people breeding for a comp dog and not a coon dog.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 01-18-2020 03:13 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I got 4 burger joints in my town they are edible and have the same result. Buuuuut I like whatburger so I drive 24 miles to get one lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-18-2020 03:13 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
I’ve NEVER made a cross and thought this is gonna make a great comp dog. Every cross I’ve ever made I’ve made thinking this is going to produce a dog anyone would be proud to own.

I would like just a coondog. Competition ain’t real high on my list no more.

Tar

Old Post 01-18-2020 03:15 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Any dog that can tree coon consistently with distractions all around it is a good comp dog. Is that not what a coon dog is supposed to be too?

Old Post 01-18-2020 04:25 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Any dog that can tree coon consistently with distractions all around it is a good comp dog. Is that not what a coon dog is supposed to be too?

I 2nd that motion.

Tar

Old Post 01-18-2020 04:30 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

For me coon hunting is a hobby. A hobby is supposed to be fun. The dog that is fun to hunt is the dog I'm looking for. Now I think it takes a pretty good dog to make coon hunting fun but it doesn't take a perfect dog. My good dog has a thyroid problem. How did I know? He wasn't fun to hunt anymore. Did all kinds of things wrong. We don't have his health completely figured out yet but he is back. How do I know? He is fun to hunt again.

Old Post 01-18-2020 04:51 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yes sir... I couldn’t agree more...

Old Post 01-18-2020 07:59 PM