UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Competition hunting. UKC, PKC, AKC
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

Competition hunting. (UKC, PKC, AKC)

The hunts, titles, trophies, and money that i chased all those years was an absolute waste. I look at all the money that i spent in gas, entries, and few hotel bills and i feel like an idiot. Wearing out a truck I'm the meantime. You have to love it anymore especially with gas nearing $4 a gallon. I don't understand how nor why people do it.

Last edited by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 at 07:02 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-07-2012 10:41 PM
nc1484 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nc1484 Click here to Send nc1484 a Private Message Find more posts by nc1484 Add nc1484 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

They have their reasons. But, I agree with you. If folks are willing to part with their money, someone will always be willing to take it. I wonder what kind of set-ups folks could have if they put all of that money into quality feed and a quality kennel set-up. Certainly not implying that they don't but I mean really.....can you imagine?

Old Post 10-07-2012 11:19 PM
CSnowgren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSnowgren Click here to Send CSnowgren a Private Message Find more posts by CSnowgren Add CSnowgren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Well

You have a job to make money and a hobby to spend it.

Old Post 10-07-2012 11:31 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LIL-E
UKC Forum Member

I do it because I enjoy the fellowship and it is fun to me.

Old Post 10-07-2012 11:36 PM
LIL-E is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LIL-E Click here to Send LIL-E a Private Message Find more posts by LIL-E Add LIL-E to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frankenstein
UKC Forum Member

Re: Competition hunting. UKC, PKC, AKC

quote:
Originally posted by nc1484
The hunts, titles, trophies, and money that i chased all those years was an absolute waste. I look at all the money that i spent in gas, entries, and few hotel bills and i feel like an idiot. Wearing out a truck I'm the meantime. You have to love it anymore especially with gas nearing $4 a gallon. I don't understand how nor why people do it.

I done the same thing until I kept tract of my exspenses one year, then I quit doing it. With gas prices today it's definately a wealthy man's sport.
Figured out family is more important.

Old Post 10-07-2012 11:51 PM
Frankenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frankenstein Click here to Send Frankenstein a Private Message Click Here to Email Frankenstein Find more posts by Frankenstein Add Frankenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

Yeah but i find allot more fun and fellowship in pleasure hunting around the country or at home. Good times with good friends. Especially at home there's less cost in it and allot less heartache. Plus you don't have to worry about arguing. I have meet allot of good people competition hunting but I'd say I met twice the crooks.

Last edited by nc1484 on 10-07-2012 at 11:55 PM

Old Post 10-07-2012 11:52 PM
nc1484 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nc1484 Click here to Send nc1484 a Private Message Find more posts by nc1484 Add nc1484 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

Plus competition hunting is unethical. I have hunted with the "best competition" dogs in the country. During hunts and pleasure hunting. I've wore out big time dogs pleasure hunting. But the last hunt i was in opened my eyes. I had beat the bitch I drew that night many times. The other two in the cast was average dogs. But every time we turned loose that night she went left and mine went right basically. They both struck and treed their own coon on every drop, but because she got to her tracks first almost every time,she won because of the strike points. She was in her home and went to the bucket every time and mine went and struck and treed his own. She won and i was $400 poorer overall. Next night i drew her again. It rained hard and mine treed the only coon of the night while she made 3 slick as glass. I won with 225+. She won the two night hunt overall and the money, shocker, box, trophies and "glory". How is that ethical???? It's not. It's luck. It's a bucket dog. It's disadvantage.

Last edited by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 at 01:56 AM

Old Post 10-08-2012 12:06 AM
Houndologist
UKC Forum Member

Why i do it

You can't take the money with you when your time is up. Money only has one purpose, that little line between your birth date and the date you died is your life time spent above ground. i do what makes me happiest, God,family,those i can help and then it's Norm's time.jmo

Old Post 10-08-2012 12:08 AM
Houndologist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Houndologist Click here to Send Houndologist a Private Message Click Here to Email Houndologist Find more posts by Houndologist Add Houndologist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

But it's not just about the money. It's the heartache of disadvantages, crooks, the ethical part, and whatever else you want to throw in there. And also I'm not talking about doing it ever so often. I'm talking every weekend, or every week, all year, "chasing" the hunts. Putting aside the pleasure of the sport.

Last edited by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 at 12:52 AM

Old Post 10-08-2012 12:14 AM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Who really gives a crap???? If you can. Go for it. If not. Stay home with mama!

Old Post 10-08-2012 12:38 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

Well not bragging or anything but I'm by no means broke and could take up competition hunting full time if i chose......i just think it's a waste of money and time. If you have the urge to go and you want it to be your "hobby" then more power to ya. I'm just not that much of a die hard. How about those of you that don't consider it a "hobby"???

Old Post 10-08-2012 12:56 AM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Some people play golf, some fish out of $40,000 bass boats. Others bowl, gamble on the horses or haul there kids all over the country to play travel ball. And some hunt the hunts. The one thing they all have in common is that there will always be some numbnuts going on to them about the waste of money, time, etc.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 10-08-2012 01:13 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vernonsdream
UKC Forum Member

You aren't fooling anybody. It ain't about the money now? You got a bad beat and it happens. But don't make it sound foolish just because you're upset. Don't get me wrong, I would be too but I think you'll be back at it

Old Post 10-08-2012 01:17 AM
vernonsdream is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vernonsdream Click here to Send vernonsdream a Private Message Find more posts by vernonsdream Add vernonsdream to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cody jaster
UKC Forum Member

If all you do is coon hunt your in good shape I think! Problem is I have way too many Hobbys. I coon hunt, deer hunt both with rifle and bow, dove hunt, and duck hunt. Plus, I raise cattle and farm here on the ranch. Then I go to my real job, surveying. Some how I still always find time for God first and family. The money is always there and you find time to do what you what to. The only thing for me is I'm getting old and my body don't like all that.

Old Post 10-08-2012 01:24 AM
cody jaster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cody jaster Click here to Send cody jaster a Private Message Click Here to Email cody jaster Find more posts by cody jaster Add cody jaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

For starters this happened two years ago. Secondly i didn't get beat. I won Saturday night and especially as far as having the coondog of the bunch. Just didn't win by the set of rules on Friday. And finally its not in any shape form or fashion about being beat. I've been beat, I've been ****** out of many hunts, I've won a bunch along with a pile of cash and so many trophies i didn't want and gave the things back to be redone for other hunts. I threw out that example to show you how unethical it is.

Last edited by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 at 01:54 AM

Old Post 10-08-2012 01:30 AM
Andy Miller
UKC Forum Member

jim

i have 2 agree with jim .........an i dont drink .......chase women .....get in a bar fight ..... i do it b cus its a hobby

Old Post 10-08-2012 01:33 AM
Andy Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Miller Click here to Send Andy Miller a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Miller Find more posts by Andy Miller Add Andy Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

I'm with you Cody. I'm a farmer and a hunter and hunt everything. From bear to squirrel. From goose to dove. I love hunting and always will. I used to be a die hard competition hunter when i was young but i guess i grew out of it. It means nothing to me to go to a hunt anymore. For example: Grand American used to be competition weekend for me. Now every year i go and cook seafood with some guys down there eat like hogs, coon hunt, rabbit hunt in the day. Have a great time. Allot better than spending a pile of money at a hunt and win what? A trophy?

Last edited by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 at 01:57 AM

Old Post 10-08-2012 01:38 AM
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

Re: jim

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Miller
i have 2 agree with jim .........an i dont drink .......chase women .....get in a bar fight ..... i do it b cus its a hobby

Coon hunting will keep you out of trouble. Not that I would know

Old Post 10-08-2012 02:41 AM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smokin-1-mo
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Some people play golf, some fish out of $40,000 bass boats. Others bowl, gamble on the horses or haul there kids all over the country to play travel ball. And some hunt the hunts. The one thing they all have in common is that there will always be some numbnuts going on to them about the waste of money, time, etc.

RIGHT ON JIM,I SUGGEST IF A GUY IS NOT HAPPY WITH IT THEY SHOULD QUIT AND TAKE UP FISHING OR SOMETHING.....

Old Post 10-08-2012 03:51 AM
smokin-1-mo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smokin-1-mo Click here to Send smokin-1-mo a Private Message Click Here to Email smokin-1-mo Find more posts by smokin-1-mo Add smokin-1-mo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

its cost a lot of money to do anything you enjoy hunting or anything else.look at our goverment they have a hobby spending our money and they enjoy it.

george

Old Post 10-08-2012 03:52 AM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

I like the comp hunting, it keeps me from hunting by myself all the time. And I've meet some really great people. Plus I like watching the other breeds of dogs go. I'm well aware I'll never get rich doing it, and that's O.K

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 10-08-2012 04:26 AM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

Re: Competition hunting. UKC, PKC, AKC

quote:
Originally posted by nc1484

One of the many reasons I enjoy the hunts is because I can travel all over to see how my dog will hunt in different areas. I also get to hunt new woods and that's a lot better than hunting the same spots at home every night.

If you are upset bout bein beat by high scoring dog, go hunt the other 2 registries, that's why they are there. Plain and simple you didn't win because your dog wasn't quick enough when the coons were moving. Over the 2 nites how many coons did the other dog tree? If your dog was that good, it woulda went and treed 3 or 4 while the other dog slicked 3 or 4 if you really think about it. ESP in UKC, usually 1 coon isn't going to win you anything at a big hunt...

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 10-08-2012 06:05 AM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph A Clark
UKC Forum Member

Competition VS pleasure hunting soely depends on individual preference. I recently just envolved in the competition side of the sport. I've pleasure hunted my whole life and it will always be my passion. With that being said I do enjoy going to local events and talking with fellow coon hunters etc. I see nothing wrong with chase'n a title if that's what you like. Heck who wouldn't like to have a GrNiteCh etc? On the flip side of that I do think the competition circuit is a little shadey, but it's not UKC's fault! It's our on fault. Every time we let somebody withdraw a aggressive dog or get away with cheating we're taking the honor out of the " honor rules " and by doing so we are telling the younger generation it's ok to bend the rules or cheat and so it just trickles down untill it becomes the norm. I do enjoy the HTX because it's one dog on his own, pass or fail, real simple, no excuses! It is my opinion that is why so many die hard competition hunters don't like the HTX hunts. Because there's no slick calling and a " me to " dog what pass a HTX! I personally don't want any title I don't deserve, what good would a empty title mean? Sure I'd like a " earned " title, but my passion, joy, is really hunting alone, with one dog so I can really appreciate the way the dog works etc with out any distractions! But everybody's different, that's what makes things interesting... Just like a good pot of gumbo!

Old Post 10-08-2012 10:40 AM
Joseph A Clark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph A Clark Click here to Send Joseph A Clark a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph A Clark Find more posts by Joseph A Clark Add Joseph A Clark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB PITCREW
UKC Forum Member

Amen!

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

Home of Previous #1 Reproducing English Coonhound 15.49%
GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Briar Valley Nite Prowler "semen stored”
GRNTCH CH Dee's Nite Prowling Blitz "semen stored”
'PR' Northridge JoJoe's Blue Thunder
'PR' Northridge Icky’s Old Sandy

ENGLISH HOUNDS SINCE 1969....If you breed for papers instead of traits,You deserve what you end up with...Kelley Stagner

RIP........................................
GRNTCH GRCH Briar Valley Nite Prowler
GRNTCH GRCH Wilcox's Thunder JoJoe
GRNTCH GRCH Northridge Red Loopy
GRNTCH GRCH Northridge JoJo's Feebie
GRNTCH CH Dee's Nite Prowling Blitz
GRNTCH CH Northridge Jo Joe’s Icky

Old Post 10-08-2012 11:54 AM
JB PITCREW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB PITCREW Click here to Send JB PITCREW a Private Message Find more posts by JB PITCREW Add JB PITCREW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SCOTT ENGLE
UKC Forum Member

i've been coonhunting for many, many years! i still love it! i enjoy going to the hunts! great sport!

GRAND NITE CHAMPION
BOOGAR HOLLOW MOJO
513-284-4874

Old Post 10-08-2012 02:43 PM
SCOTT ENGLE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTT ENGLE Click here to Send SCOTT ENGLE a Private Message Click Here to Email SCOTT ENGLE Find more posts by SCOTT ENGLE Add SCOTT ENGLE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote