UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Raw diet question?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
xdawgbeagles
UKC Forum Member

Raw diet question?

As people, we cook meat to kill the parasites and what not. Have you noticed any problems with your dogs and worms or what not?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-27-2009 09:21 PM
xdawgbeagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xdawgbeagles Click here to Send xdawgbeagles a Private Message Click Here to Email xdawgbeagles Visit xdawgbeagles's homepage! Find more posts by xdawgbeagles Add xdawgbeagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ohlinger
UKC Forum Member

Tape worms come from fleas and other contaminated dogs or animals fieces etc......I have'nt noticed any problems. Dogs are built naturaly to eat raw meat. If you are getting you're meat from a butcher he is using FDA approved meat in the first place you should be ok. Wild game is @ you're own risk but i don't know a beagle hunter who has'nt let there dogs eat a rabbit or two. Keep away from the guts and other nasty stuff you should be alrite again. I have'nt heard or seen any problems so far with mine...getting alil meticulous finding good fat sources and balancing the diet. I will get it irond out soon.

Thirtyoughtsix Bred Beagles
330-987-5883
www.noluckkennels.webs.com
CH PCH GRHBCH No Luck Red Falcon of Crowtown
HBCH Gridiron Double Trouble
HBCH Highbar's No Luck High Octane
PCH GRCH Diamond Blaze
LPRCH HBCH Gridiron No Luck Bad Mojo
CH Thirtyoughtsix Lucky Boy
CH 'PR' Weedeaters No Luck Ugly Betty
No Luck Red Razz (coming soon)

Old Post 12-28-2009 02:27 AM
ohlinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ohlinger Click here to Send ohlinger a Private Message Click Here to Email ohlinger Find more posts by ohlinger Add ohlinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deanhagy
UKC Forum Member

what about rabbit liver is that ok or not

2010 World Hunt Cast Winner
2011 Top 16 Grands Nat'l Cast Winner
2011 3rd Place World Hunt Championship
GRHBCH CH HAGYS JADE
GRHBCH HAGYS GIZMO 2011 Nationals Registered Cast Winner 2013 Nationals top 16 HBCH Cast Win

Old Post 12-28-2009 08:41 PM
deanhagy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deanhagy Click here to Send deanhagy a Private Message Find more posts by deanhagy Add deanhagy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
team fudd
UKC Forum Member

dogs cannot contract worms from rabbits, rabbits are herbivores and do not have worms that will survive in a omnivore host such as a dog so the answer to your question is no. Dogs contract worms from coming in contact with contaminated omnivore or carnivore feces or the actual animal themselves not from eating rabbit parts, its an old myth that many guys still believe.

Old Post 12-28-2009 09:35 PM
team fudd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for team fudd Click here to Send team fudd a Private Message Click Here to Email team fudd Find more posts by team fudd Add team fudd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elliott Peters
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by team fudd
dogs cannot contract worms from rabbits, rabbits are herbivores and do not have worms that will survive in a omnivore host such as a dog so the answer to your question is no. Dogs contract worms from coming in contact with contaminated omnivore or carnivore feces or the actual animal themselves not from eating rabbit parts, its an old myth that many guys still believe.

Matt,
I've told shawn this but he must not believe me because he didn't post it. LOL!

Jack,
I've been feeding raw for a month or two and love every bit of it so far. Dogs are doing REALLY great on it with extra energy and weight. Take care and I hope you and the family had a good X-mas.

Elliott

Old Post 12-28-2009 10:19 PM
Elliott Peters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Elliott Peters Click here to Send Elliott Peters a Private Message Click Here to Email Elliott Peters Visit Elliott Peters's homepage! Find more posts by Elliott Peters Add Elliott Peters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ohlinger
UKC Forum Member

There are couple known diseases that cottontails can carry i'm not sure about the names,but they can affect the liver. If the liver is off colored, or has spots or lumps on it the entire rabbit should be discarded. Liver has a high vitamin A content. too much vitamin A in a whelping bitch with in the first couple weeks of pregnancy and possibly cause birth defects. I don't imagine abit of liver every now then can hurt a pregnant bitch, but too much could affect the pups. I'm not sure how much is too much, but i've been trying to find out.

330-987-5883
PCH GRCH Diamond Blaze

Old Post 12-28-2009 10:59 PM
ohlinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ohlinger Click here to Send ohlinger a Private Message Click Here to Email ohlinger Find more posts by ohlinger Add ohlinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
big matt t.
UKC Forum Member

yes elliott shawn does not listen very well lol!!! that was abeutiful pup u sent to shawn real nice we will do great things with her!!! we gotta get 2gether and run sometime i will hav coal miner here n acouple weeks!!!

"We Hual With Owens Boxes"
GRCH GRHBCH White River Coal Miner
GRCH GRHBCH Weedeater Fire River Blessing (Gena)
GRCH GRHBCH Litttle Italy's Gracie Girl
Regestered National Ch. GRHBCH Hartleyville Grimm Ripper
HBCH Big T's Leo's Coal Trash
GRHBCH Huttons Big T's Rip Fuel
(And Coming Soon)
Whiteriver Awhole Lotta Trouble
Big T's Lucy In The Sky
Big T's Can't Get Right
Big T's Pretty Girl Zoey
( Temperary Home Of )
GRHBCH Buck Lake Lola (RIP OLD GIRL)

Old Post 12-29-2009 01:36 AM
big matt t. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big matt t. Click here to Send big matt t. a Private Message Click Here to Email big matt t. Find more posts by big matt t. Add big matt t. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EerieEyes
UKC Forum Member

we're in about our fifth year feeding raw, and have never noticed a parasite problem... but my dogs also get zimectrin gold for heartworm prevention, and that kills most worms as well as someone mentioned, store-bought meat should be parasite free, and as far as wild game goes i always freeze it for at least a few weeks prior to feeding.

GRCH FCH CA CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage
2010 & 2015 World Qualified

GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz

'PR' Midnight Brindle Bombshell

GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (May 2004 - March 2014)

Old Post 12-29-2009 05:53 AM
EerieEyes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EerieEyes Click here to Send EerieEyes a Private Message Click Here to Email EerieEyes Find more posts by EerieEyes Add EerieEyes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elliott Peters
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by big matt t.
yes elliott shawn does not listen very well lol!!! that was abeutiful pup u sent to shawn real nice we will do great things with her!!! we gotta get 2gether and run sometime i will hav coal miner here n acouple weeks!!!

Thanks for the kind words on the pup Matt. I only hope she turns out as good as one would hope. The only thing is, her being with Shawn won't help a lick let me tell ya. LOL! Last night I tried to get Shawn to go out and run but he said he was "SICK" and BLA BLA BLA and something else about some scientific fact about rabbits doing this and that during this and that kinda weather. EXCUSES EXCUSES!! You need a tissue Shawn because I can't help you out with the dog power situation, or lack of?

Let me know when you get Coal Miner here and we'll hook up and run sometime soon.

Old Post 12-29-2009 02:09 PM
Elliott Peters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Elliott Peters Click here to Send Elliott Peters a Private Message Click Here to Email Elliott Peters Visit Elliott Peters's homepage! Find more posts by Elliott Peters Add Elliott Peters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
team fudd
UKC Forum Member

elliot you are just as guilty, I gave you two free passes to rabbit heaven and your reply so far has been no, I gotta play house, and I dont know for sure, I have to check,. You whine about me never askin you then you dont pony up when I do, You cant possibly be afraid of my dogs, Have you lost that lovin feelin elliot? Is there no room in your heart for me anymore? LOL

Old Post 12-29-2009 04:06 PM
team fudd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for team fudd Click here to Send team fudd a Private Message Click Here to Email team fudd Find more posts by team fudd Add team fudd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elliott Peters
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by team fudd
elliot you are just as guilty, I gave you two free passes to rabbit heaven and your reply so far has been no, I gotta play house, and I dont know for sure, I have to check,. You whine about me never askin you then you dont pony up when I do, You cant possibly be afraid of my dogs, Have you lost that lovin feelin elliot? Is there no room in your heart for me anymore? LOL

Guilty as charged I guess. But to answer your question nope there is absolutely NO more love for you in my heart. And for God sake HECK yes I'm afraid of your dogs!!!! If I get to worried my game plain is to just shoot at a rabbit and that fear will be long gone and over for the day. LOL!!!

On a more real note, only you and a couple others no my current situation, so enough said about that. Life sucks at times as you've experienced it I know. Are we still on for this Saturday the 2nd? Shawn asked me last night if I was going. The only thing that drives me NUTS about you two is that you can't tolerate more than 5 or 6 dogs being run at a time. Whats the fear? I get sick of hearing all the excurses!!!!!!!!!! Talkin about pony’en up my friend…

Last edited by Elliott Peters on 12-29-2009 at 05:32 PM

Old Post 12-29-2009 05:28 PM
xdawgbeagles
UKC Forum Member

Keep your head up Elliot!!!!

Old Post 12-29-2009 05:33 PM
xdawgbeagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xdawgbeagles Click here to Send xdawgbeagles a Private Message Click Here to Email xdawgbeagles Visit xdawgbeagles's homepage! Find more posts by xdawgbeagles Add xdawgbeagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ohlinger
UKC Forum Member

lol if this place is all fudd is talk'n about we will prbly need a couple packs to hunt this thing out we should wear the 1st pack out by noon. So bring you're dogs, but we don't need anymore than 5 @ 1 time. Elliot wants to break out the horses and a horn to tally them up!! He'd bet better off with those foxhounds in britain! throw a dead horse on a concrete slab come feed time and break out the whip! lol

330-987-5883
PCH GRCH Diamond Blaze

Old Post 12-29-2009 05:39 PM
team fudd
UKC Forum Member

even I can find rabbits to kill in this place, you pros should have no problems, and if I have to wipe your noses and help you put on your man panties and get in the briars so be it! A wise man once told me the worlds shortest fairy tale, it goes somethin like this, One day a mans wife asked for a divorce, so he hunted and fished and ran his dogs whenever he wanted the rest of his life, the end! All kiddin aside you are a brother to both shaun and I, and you know that we are both fully supportive of you, much like a jockstrap, you have grown on us, much like mold, and I am sure shaun would agree that either of us are there for you in whatever capacity you need. Except for that one night which we will not EVER mention. A good friend will help you hide, friends like us would help you hide a body! I have been in your shoes and the road is rough but if you are anything you are a stubborn rockhead and you will persevere. Boy did this thread get off track, sorry to the guy who started it. see what happens when you give guys from t county a computer?

Old Post 12-29-2009 06:04 PM
Elliott Peters
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by xdawgbeagles
Keep your head up Elliot!!!!

In all seriousness thanks Jack! Hope you find out what it is you’re looking for in feeding a raw Diet.

Shawn and Matt,
This is just getting to be too much for me to keep writing back to ya but you both are great guys. Let’s make this happen this Saturday. Good memories I need without a drought. I'm bringing the whole kennel with me. CUT'EM LOOSE, LET"EM RUN.... In honor of Stingbean: "RUN LITTLE RABBIT RUN, RUN RUN LITTLE RABBIT RUN"

Old Post 12-29-2009 07:50 PM
tjcrewse
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ohlinger
Liver has a high vitamin A content. too much vitamin A in a whelping bitch with in the first couple weeks of pregnancy and possibly cause birth defects. I don't imagine abit of liver every now then can hurt a pregnant bitch, but too much could affect the pups. I'm not sure how much is too much, but i've been trying to find out.

I bet you could contact a professor at one of the Veterinary University's and find the answer to that question. I found the same information my self, but didn't find out what is to high of a level of vitamin A to cause those defects. The birth defects caused by Vitamin A is not pretty, and can also cause it in children so is worth investigating.

Here is some information that I found at

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/cleftpalate.htm

looks like they are trying to do some major studies on this issue. Does have the amounts that will contribute to the birth defects. It would do well for all beaglers to study this for they are reporting that beagles have a high incident to this birth defect when given vitamin A

Another very interesting read on birth defects contributed to pesticides, even the famous Sevin Dust and spray..

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/cleftpalate.htm

Last edited by tjcrewse on 12-30-2009 at 12:44 PM

Old Post 12-30-2009 12:18 PM
tjcrewse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcrewse Click here to Send tjcrewse a Private Message Click Here to Email tjcrewse Find more posts by tjcrewse Add tjcrewse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

I'am Feeding about a 50%/50% Diet of Raw to Dry Feed

I'am Feeding Both Deer and Beef .. All of my hounds are on a Monthly wormer So I'am not worried their ..

Here is a link to a thread on Working on Whole Beef ..

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...threadid=321686

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 12-30-2009 03:22 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote