UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Terrible 2s at 3???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bambrose93
New UKC Forum Member

Terrible 2s at 3???

I gotta Walker female she'll be 4 in June. This year has been less than ideal to say the least. I started hunting her early summer after taking 3 months off during the hottest months. She started off a little rough but once I got her back in shape we began to progress. Then all of a sudden we're headed backwards and fast. Den trees, leaving trees, boogering around and checking trees then just leaving. We have thin coon here but last year she did fine. Idk what's wrong ive had her checked by the vet everything seems fine but I'm scratching my head at this point. Anyone have any insight or pointers at this time im at a loss.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2022 03:47 AM
Bambrose93 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bambrose93 Click here to Send Bambrose93 a Private Message Click Here to Email Bambrose93 Find more posts by Bambrose93 Add Bambrose93 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I think most dogs seem to go through a period of regression... but usually work themselves out of it.

Old Post 01-13-2022 04:08 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bambrose93
New UKC Forum Member

Anyway to help them through it a little faster?? Our kill season ends in March and I'd like to get her back on pace before then.

Old Post 01-13-2022 04:11 AM
Bambrose93 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bambrose93 Click here to Send Bambrose93 a Private Message Click Here to Email Bambrose93 Find more posts by Bambrose93 Add Bambrose93 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

No magic answer that I know of... but I always say no matter what the problem... hunt them more.

That said.... there also seems to be times where kenneling up and not taking them out for a week or two can help get them right also. Each one is different that is for sure. What State are you in?

Old Post 01-13-2022 04:19 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bambrose93
New UKC Forum Member

Im in South Carolina. I agree been trying to get her out as much as I can hopefully we have a breakthrough soon.

Old Post 01-13-2022 04:21 AM
jake waddell
UKC Forum Member

my experence of making a living working with animals for the last 30 years is ' animal behavior' is not human behavior, i can right a book on the don'ts of getting along with animals, that being said if you can swallow the big lump of pride that most likely its your fault then theres a good chance you can fix the problem, all i can do is tell you my experence , this past summer 5 year old female had her first litter of pups this past winter was a really nice broke hound very accurate , started back this summer lost her for 2 weeks first turn loose garmin went dead burned 200 dollars worth of gas searching the country side before she finnaly showed up at a house almost dead, laid her up until she got her weight back on an then started back, an honestly after two weeks of hunting i really had rather her had never showed up, what ever wrong u can think of she did, the only thing that kept me from putting a bullet in her head was my lord an savyor Jeasus Christ, i finnally took her out of her pen put her in a big puppy pen with her year old pups an started takin a bucket with me everyday when i fed sat on the bucket played with her pups while she stayed away, after a week she started coming over to get some attention to after 2 weeks she was my best friend now when you cut her loose you better load your gun an dont be long about it, long story but the moral of the story is when you start have problems with dogs or any animals its most of the times something u did or didnt do , when you point that finger at the problem theres 3 pointing back at ya, what to do is for you to figure out but my experence is usually do the exact opposite of what u want to do.

Old Post 01-17-2022 01:08 AM
jake waddell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jake waddell Click here to Send jake waddell a Private Message Click Here to Email jake waddell Find more posts by jake waddell Add jake waddell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dholland
UKC Forum Member

Hunt her with a friend's dog you like -- an accurate, stay-put kind of dog - and let her "me-too" until you get her back like you want her. She'll come around...-

Old Post 01-17-2022 08:08 PM
dholland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dholland Click here to Send dholland a Private Message Click Here to Email dholland Find more posts by dholland Add dholland to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Might want to have her checked for Lymes. Sounds like a male Gr. Nite I had.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 01-17-2022 08:36 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bambrose93
New UKC Forum Member

That was my thoughts too but I Had blood work done. Only thing the vet came up with was elevated levels in her kidneys but that came back good after further blood work. I keep her on heart worm and flea and tick pills. According to my vet she's perfectly healthy

Old Post 01-17-2022 08:39 PM