UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > flea and tick
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ToddRistau
UKC Forum Member

flea and tick

what has everyone used and would recommend for fleas and ticks? also what wouldnt you recommend after using? thx

Last edited by ToddRistau on 05-23-2023 at 01:38 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-23-2023 01:35 PM
ToddRistau is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ToddRistau Click here to Send ToddRistau a Private Message Find more posts by ToddRistau Add ToddRistau to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Simparica Trio, Get's fleas, ticks, heartworms, other worms. Vetmedsforpets.com

Old Post 05-23-2023 05:23 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

👌

Old Post 05-23-2023 09:38 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

yep

What Preacher Tom said.

Old Post 05-24-2023 11:03 AM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

I have used Pet Armor Plus (same ingredients as Frontline), Simpirica Trio, and currently use the Seresto collar. Pet Armor is affordable and readily available, but a pain to apply. Has to be applied a certain way or it won't work right, but it is waterproof. I did like the Simpirica Trio, but didn't like the unavailability of it without a vet's prescription here in the states. You can find it stateside, but its pretty expensive. That being said, it is a one-stop shop type of medicine. The reason I got away from it was for two reasons: 1) I'm bad about remembering to give it every month & 2) my local vet recommended the Seresto collar, which is a cheaper option and lasts for 8 months. You can get them at a lot of stores without a prescription and online. The downside is you have to treat for heart worms and intestinal worms separately.

They all work, pick whichever is the best option for you. Just make sure you use one every month. In the end 12 mo treatment is a lot cheaper than treating a tick disease.

Old Post 05-25-2023 04:59 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Fleas

I have tried different treatments over the years, but after trying Seresto collars a few years ago, they are my choice for fleas. They last 8 months and that's a year of flea treatment as the winter months need no treatment. They WORK and you don't have to remember the monthly treatments. I usually put new collars on in March or April and they last all flea season.

Old Post 05-28-2023 07:56 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Simparica Trio ~ works great!

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 05-30-2023 05:16 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Fleas

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I have tried different treatments over the years, but after trying Seresto collars a few years ago, they are my choice for fleas. They last 8 months and that's a year of flea treatment as the winter months need no treatment. They WORK and you don't have to remember the monthly treatments. I usually put new collars on in March or April and they last all flea season.

How do the collars work for ticks?thanks

Old Post 05-31-2023 02:05 PM
Georgeb is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Fleas

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeb

All I know is my dogs are flea and tick free, never see a flea or tick on any of my dogs. Dave

Old Post 06-02-2023 08:40 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Fleas

quote:

All I know is my dogs are flea and tick free, never see a flea or tick on any of my dogs. Dave

Old Post 06-02-2023 08:40 PM
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Fleas

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards

Im gonna give the saresto collar a try.Ive read it has hurt dogs but the ingredient that kills fleas is what ive used for years.If the tick killing ingredient dont hurt him im ok.I cant afford them for all my dogs but this big male gives me a fit trying to pull off a tick.I spray them with permetherin but its a hassle.

Old Post 06-03-2023 02:06 AM
Georgeb is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

I like the Bravecto pills or the simparica best for fleas but don’t seem to be as effective on ticks. Supposably the tick has to bite the dog before it will kill it on the pills. To me that’s not good for the Lymes issue. The Seresto collars are pricey but well worth it. Seems to do a better job on ticks. They don’t seem to latch on. I have several collars on dogs right now and haven’t found a tick attached yet. I normally spray my dogs down with some sort of flea and tick spray before I go also. Something like permethrin or something they carry on the shelf at tractor supply. Just my experience

Old Post 06-03-2023 03:47 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Fleas/ticks

Seresto collars WORK and considering cost over the 8 months of flea/tick season is the cheapest effective treatment you can get. I am not sold on pills that may cause side effects or harm to my dogs. Even if no harms is caused it will cost more for the pills. Nothing I ever tried works as good as the Ceres to collars, just make sure you buy the real collars from a trusted source as there are FAKES out there. I buy mine from Chewys and get a good price for multiply collars. Frontline, frontline plus and all others failed me and definitely cost more than the Seresto collars. I could not be more happy with these collars and use them on my dogs and cats. Dave

Old Post 06-04-2023 03:35 AM
RFussnecker
UKC Forum Member

If your dog is hot acting and not hunting good in the heat

You likley have tick ailment to cure. The vet can run test for them. If I your not using heartworm prevention you could have those also. I give my dogs lymes vaccines also. I have cured about 10 dogs of lymes amd or "elichria" it usually take some out of them. I cured one i bought from heartworms it coslty and unnessary with proper prevention.
Moxidectin= 6 month heartworm prevention
Nexguard = 1 month flea and tick

Old Post 06-04-2023 10:03 PM
RFussnecker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RFussnecker Click here to Send RFussnecker a Private Message Click Here to Email RFussnecker Find more posts by RFussnecker Add RFussnecker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Just put a saresto collar on my big hound.He dont like it.lol.Sure seems like a poor buckleing system for a collar.He'll loose it in no time.ha. You guys take it off when you hunt?Do yall put it on looser than directions say to allow for the loose skin under a hounds neck?Ive never used one.

Old Post 06-08-2023 02:51 PM
Brian Gray
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Just put a saresto collar on my big hound.He dont like it.lol.Sure seems like a poor buckleing system for a collar.He'll loose it in no time.ha. You guys take it off when you hunt?Do yall put it on looser than directions say to allow for the loose skin under a hounds neck?Ive never used one.

Make sure to put a zip tie or two to secure it so it dont come of i learned the hard way.

Old Post 06-08-2023 07:25 PM
Brian Gray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Gray Click here to Send Brian Gray a Private Message Find more posts by Brian Gray Add Brian Gray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Gray
Make sure to put a zip tie or two to secure it so it dont come of i learned the hard way.

Could you say how you zip tie it?To his regular collar or to the extra length of the flea collar and back around the main collar? Thanks.This dang thing cost 65.00.lol

Old Post 06-08-2023 08:51 PM
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Gray

Could you say how you zip tie it?To his regular collar or to the extra length of the flea collar and back around the main collar? Thanks.This dang thing cost 65.00.lol

Old Post 06-08-2023 08:51 PM
Brian Gray
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Just zip tie the flea collar in between the two loops

Old Post 06-08-2023 11:52 PM
Brian Gray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Gray Click here to Send Brian Gray a Private Message Find more posts by Brian Gray Add Brian Gray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brian Gray
Just zip tie the flea collar in between the two loops [/QUOTE

Thankyou

Old Post 06-09-2023 12:16 AM
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I leave it loose enough t slide over the dog's head when I take her hunting. You are not supposed to give the dog frequent bathes, so I take it to mean not constantly getting soaked in the swamps.

Old Post 06-09-2023 03:37 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote