UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid Dogs
Pages (10): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

dont think i am just picking on the poor walker breed. all other breeds rank at # 38. if everything goes as i have planed my 4 year old english hound will have his O.F.A. thyroid panel sent to M.S.U. next week . he could very well be the first hound of all time entered into a data bank that the results (good or bad ) for the recessive gene can be verified . it would be hypocritical for me to sit back and ask others to test and not be willing to test my own dog . like bruce said 20 years from now what some scoff about today my very well be a common practice to better the health of all our breeds .

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-19-2018 12:28 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

From what I can tell Thyroid disease in dogs is alot like humans. Multiple things can cause Hypothyroidism.

Here are just a few things.

It CAN be genetic, that is true.

It is autoimmune which means ANY disease can cause it especially ones like the tick borne illnesses

Females can have it after a pregnancy due to poor blood flow to the pituitary (Pituitary controls the thyroid)

Injury

Exposure to drugs/pesticides

Finally, giving thyroid medication to a dog that doesn't have thyroid disease just to increase it's "pep".

All of these are causes of thyroid disease.

There are so many things that can cause it that it makes it very difficult to predict.

For example, I have never owned a thyroid dog before, now I have two. One is just over a year old and his momma was a thyroid dog, could be genetic.

The other is 9 and never had an issue before and has been tested three other times in the past and was always normal. Now all of a sudden he don't even register. Hard to blame that on genetics (although it very well could be) but it would make more sense for him to have had it for a different reason like one listed above or one I haven't even thought of.

Old Post 05-19-2018 01:11 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
From what I can tell Thyroid disease in dogs is alot like humans. Multiple things can cause Hypothyroidism.

Here are just a few things.

It CAN be genetic, that is true.

It is autoimmune which means ANY disease can cause it especially ones like the tick borne illnesses

Females can have it after a pregnancy due to poor blood flow to the pituitary (Pituitary controls the thyroid)

Injury

Exposure to drugs/pesticides

Finally, giving thyroid medication to a dog that doesn't have thyroid disease just to increase it's "pep".

All of these are causes of thyroid disease.

There are so many things that can cause it that it makes it very difficult to predict.

For example, I have never owned a thyroid dog before, now I have two. One is just over a year old and his momma was a thyroid dog, could be genetic.

The other is 9 and never had an issue before and has been tested three other times in the past and was always normal. Now all of a sudden he don't even register. Hard to blame that on genetics (although it very well could be) but it would make more sense for him to have had it for a different reason like one listed above or one I haven't even thought of.

it could be that the gene pools for our hounds were to small from the very beginning and even through testing breeding stock and trying to eliminate the recessive trait it could be impossible . we know now for a fact that in 80% of thyroid cases the dog was genetically predisposed .shouldnt we test to see the extent of the problem instead of pretending it dont exist? would you breed to a stud dog that was proven to not carry the gene in a data bank or breed to one that could be a carrier and hope you dont have a pup like your have now at one year old with a problem ? the thyroid glands main function is metabolism and heat control . METABOLISM IS THE CHEMICAL PROCESSES THAT OCCUR IN A LIVING ORGANISM TO MAINTAIN LIFE .RIP these questions are not directed at you personally . as a hound lover i think everyone should at least be objective and think about the health problems facing our dogs today . shouldnt we if possible try to leave the generations that follow us a healthy stock of dogs to enjoy ? it looks like these thyroid dogs are getting to be the norm instead of rarely heard of these days.in 20 more years will world hunts be won by dogs that need pills to function properly ? guess what we are already at that point but not many even give it a thought . feed your dog 2 pills a day you can win 100 grand . pick up truck be on the front cover of the magazines . it wont end until all the males go sterile and all the females have silent heat cycles . nature has a way with correcting inherited genetic faults over time. is there a possibility dogs that need pills every day in several generations the pills wont work anymore if we keep breeding them without thought ?so many questions we should be thinking about .

Last edited by thomasg on 05-19-2018 at 03:48 AM

Old Post 05-19-2018 03:37 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

it's a lot for people to learn about. it will take time lots and lots of time. if a dog is genetically a thyroid dog. half his offspring will be a thyroid dog. so that makes a lot of less valuable genetics. it is like a slap in the face after all that work.

Old Post 05-19-2018 06:33 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I sure don't like the thyroid issue but coon hunters are tuff and the sky isn't falling. If you use it for an excuse for a poor quality hound, that is your problem. The quality of hound I am interested in can perform with or without a thyroid issue. We proved that last weekend one day after I found out the dog had very low numbers. Still won us close to $500 bucks for the weekend and had one enjoyable pleasure hunt this week with him between the rain storms.

His Thyroid is one concern and his hard head is another. I will work on the hard head and let the vet give us a plan for the thyroid.

Old Post 05-19-2018 07:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
it could be that the gene pools for our hounds were to small from the very beginning and even through testing breeding stock and trying to eliminate the recessive trait it could be impossible . we know now for a fact that in 80% of thyroid cases the dog was genetically predisposed .shouldnt we test to see the extent of the problem instead of pretending it dont exist? would you breed to a stud dog that was proven to not carry the gene in a data bank or breed to one that could be a carrier and hope you dont have a pup like your have now at one year old with a problem ? the thyroid glands main function is metabolism and heat control . METABOLISM IS THE CHEMICAL PROCESSES THAT OCCUR IN A LIVING ORGANISM TO MAINTAIN LIFE .RIP these questions are not directed at you personally . as a hound lover i think everyone should at least be objective and think about the health problems facing our dogs today . shouldnt we if possible try to leave the generations that follow us a healthy stock of dogs to enjoy ? it looks like these thyroid dogs are getting to be the norm instead of rarely heard of these days.in 20 more years will world hunts be won by dogs that need pills to function properly ? guess what we are already at that point but not many even give it a thought . feed your dog 2 pills a day you can win 100 grand . pick up truck be on the front cover of the magazines . it wont end until all the males go sterile and all the females have silent heat cycles . nature has a way with correcting inherited genetic faults over time. is there a possibility dogs that need pills every day in several generations the pills wont work anymore if we keep breeding them without thought ?so many questions we should be thinking about .

My point is that it has SO many causes that I don't think the genetic testing will be much benefit. Sure if we know a gene that causes it and we can test for it and use it to decrease the risk that would be wonderful but I haven't seen anything that says we know which gene is the gene for hypothyroidism.

I don't think the number of hypothyroid dogs has increased so much as it is that we test for it now. I just tested my old dog on a whim as I can't tell he has had any symptoms of the disease. Now I tested him either two or three times when he was younger and that was due to an issue he had but he was never low until now at age 9. I'm betting on a tick borne illness or other viral illness on that one but the point is I would have never, ever known he was hypothyroid if I didn't just check him for no other reason than he was at the vets office and I was checking the young dogs cause their momma was hypothyroid I just threw him in there too.

Old Post 05-19-2018 10:46 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

here is the thing if it is a genetic trait than it's a issue that can be managed with proper breeding. the test will not fix a dog that has a thyroid issue caused from a health issue. can the test tell the difference? idk

Old Post 05-19-2018 11:46 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Rip, where should we start looking and narrowing down the cause? What test would you suggest to eliminate outside factors? I got two neither has ever had a tick problem. They are completely clean on everything.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-20-2018 02:47 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Rip, where should we start looking and narrowing down the cause? What test would you suggest to eliminate outside factors? I got two neither has ever had a tick problem. They are completely clean on everything.

Thats the problem. It can even be caused by a virus (at least in humans, I do thyroid surgery so I know about human thyroid and the causes not sure it can be extrapolated to dogs because people would be dead with thyroid levels that low and dogs are not).

So, since it doesn't kill dogs for all we know it may have been this bad forever, or even worse when we had fewer dogs make it as a percentage than we do now. Don't know.

The other bad part is even though my dog was 9 before he ever had an issue that STILL doesn't mean for sure it wasn't genetic in him either.

We have the same problem in humans, can't really put our finger on the exact cause most of the time, but there are syndromes that are genetic but the biggest majority are not.

The best thing would be to only breed dogs that don't have thyroid issues, but then something like my dog comes along and throws that out the window because it if waits till hes 9 to show up then you have already bred him a bunch if he is breeding material.

Old Post 05-20-2018 04:47 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: michagan state university diagnostic labortory

quote:
click left on diagnostic sections then move down on right and click on endocrinology move down and click on thyroid registration information . just about everything you need to know about auto immune thyroidsis can be found here including the test you need to use to see if your dog is genetic or other causes and how to enter your dog in a data bank for people wanting to make better choices for breeding purposes or buy a pup .
joey the o.f.a. thyroid pannle would be a good starting point .

Old Post 05-20-2018 06:37 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Something you guys are forgetting.........

Out of the number of dogs tested, there was x number that actually had it. So at say 16% for walkers. So you can't assume 16% of the breed has it. Just 16% that were sent in had it. And out of the other coonhounds breeds where do they stand in competition hunts? How many actually get hunted hard preparing for hunts to see the slightest differences?

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 05-20-2018 05:28 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Something you guys are forgetting.........

.... So at say 16% for walkers. So you can't assume 16% of the breed has it. Just 16% that were sent in had it..

Does that mean that of the walker dogs that have thyroid desease, 16% of it is hereditary? I thought that they were saying that 16% of all walker dogs had hereditary thyroid Desease.

Old Post 05-20-2018 07:05 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

They can't have anything off of total number of dogs except for what they tested. Not like they can test dogs that weren't sent in to them. There's a huge number of dogs in the country. If you go to their website you can look at total number tested vs total number that were positive thyroid dogs. They have the German wirehair pointer at #2 or 3. At 20+%, but have only tested 325 or so dogs. And there's plenty more than 325 dogs in the country. 16% or whatever the number was that they had figured is only the ones that tested positive for thyroid.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 05-20-2018 09:44 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: OXFORD LABORATORIES

quote:
WALKER COONHOUND BREED . THYROID DISEASE -HIGH RISK ...the walker hound ranks # 16 among all all breeds for [ AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITIS PREVALENCE] .For this reason you should make sure YOU OUR YOUR BREEDER are testing all dogs used for breeding .it may even be a good idea to test dogs you are not breeding so that any instance of disease can be traced back to BREEDING PAIRS .
CHICKEN LITTLE AGAIN LOL . THE SKY FELL YEARS A GO > ALL PUPPIES SHOULD COME WITH WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS FOR THYROID WARNING SIGNS AND SCREENING TEST PROCEDURES TO KEEP THEM HEALTHY.

Last edited by thomasg on 05-21-2018 at 03:51 AM

Old Post 05-21-2018 01:50 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Does that mean that of the walker dogs that have thyroid desease, 16% of it is hereditary? I thought that they were saying that 16% of all walker dogs had hereditary thyroid Desease.
# 16 of 170 other breeds . 15.2 % genetic . 1.5 out of 10 chance you own one . of course none of the dogs tested were out of line breed dogs with all grand pedigrees .or 25 year old seaman .lol

Old Post 05-21-2018 01:58 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
# 16 of 170 other breeds . 15.2 % genetic . 1.5 out of 10 chance you own one . of course none of the dogs tested were out of line breed dogs with all grand pedigrees .or 25 year old seaman .lol

Old Post 05-21-2018 01:58 PM
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

???

If Ive read some of the post correctly , is it safe to say that some/most or part of this Thyroid problem is man~made? Due to shock collar use ,because of the location of the contact points on the dog thyroid glands, and use of regular dog collars during and after training when dogs are being jerked while on a lead strap or tied out and running the tie~out chain,cable or rope?
If so, wouldnt this fall under animal abuse since it causes health problems ?
Im just asking so dont start bashing .
Thanks in advance for comments and/or answers.

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 05-21-2018 08:19 PM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

?????
Only two causes are "known". they are the genetic cause and cancer. The rest of the "causes" are all just educated guesses. Hypothyroidism happens when the thyroid gland quits working. There are 1,000 theoretical reasons or guesses why it quits.

Old Post 05-21-2018 08:38 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Re: ???

quote:
Originally posted by B&Ttreed2017
If Ive read some of the post correctly , is it safe to say that some/most or part of this Thyroid problem is man~made? Due to shock collar use ,because of the location of the contact points on the dog thyroid glands, and use of regular dog collars during and after training when dogs are being jerked while on a lead strap or tied out and running the tie~out chain,cable or rope?
If so, wouldnt this fall under animal abuse since it causes health problems ?
Im just asking so dont start bashing .
Thanks in advance for comments and/or answers.

I don’t think it is safe to say that. I think someone was just shooting from the hip speculating what might be the cause.

Old Post 05-21-2018 09:03 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: OXFORD LABORATORIES

quote:
CHICKEN LITTLE AGAIN LOL . THE SKY FELL YEARS A GO > ALL PUPPIES SHOULD COME WITH WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS FOR THYROID WARNING SIGNS AND SCREENING TEST PROCEDURES TO KEEP THEM HEALTHY.

This is exactly what it sounds like to me!!!!!! There's no possible way that they tested even half of the dogs in the country. I bet not even 25% of the dogs. What they tested were dogs that local vets and owners thought had thyroid problems and to be sure they sent out for results. Again, its way over leading on numbers. And again it sure doesn't take long for a dogs DNA to actually change.

This is my last post on this thread. This is just a bunch of hoop-la, and its gotten a bit off of the original Topix it was supposed to be.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 05-22-2018 12:04 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: OXFORD LABORATORIES

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
This is exactly what it sounds like to me!!!!!! There's no possible way that they tested even half of the dogs in the country. I bet not even 25% of the dogs. What they tested were dogs that local vets and owners thought had thyroid problems and to be sure they sent out for results. Again, its way over leading on numbers. And again it sure doesn't take long for a dogs DNA to actually change.

This is my last post on this thread. This is just a bunch of hoop-la, and its gotten a bit off of the original Topix it was supposed to be.

Can you understand that if they tested just dogs suspected of thyroid issues, Walkers still had more than other breeds of coon hounds?

Old Post 05-22-2018 12:11 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
?????
Only two causes are "known". they are the genetic cause and cancer. The rest of the "causes" are all just educated guesses. Hypothyroidism happens when the thyroid gland quits working. There are 1,000 theoretical reasons or guesses why it quits.

80% OF THYROID DOGS are proven to have a genetic link from a recessive gene passed from breeding pairs that can be identified though testing to make better choices for breeding healthier dogs .. *kc got a grant 36 k to help fund a study that has not been had any information published yet on the time line and causes of the onset of a dog with the recessive gene for its thyroid to miss function . it is being done by m.s.u. as well . you can look at the information on the a.k.* website under health .

Last edited by thomasg on 05-22-2018 at 04:30 AM

Old Post 05-22-2018 02:33 AM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: ???

quote:
Originally posted by Jgarrett
I don’t think it is safe to say that. I think someone was just shooting from the hip speculating what might be the cause.

Well the causes I listed are actual PROVEN causes, it is a known fact that Injury, Iodine deficiency, Pituitary dysfunction, excessive thyroid supplementation, genetics, cancer, Radiation, Virus/bacterial infection and autoimmune diseases cause hypothyroidism. That's not a guess that's a fact. Those are all causes.

Where it becomes a guessing game is which cause is the reason a particular dog has thyroid disease.

If you have a genetic marker for it then that would take that part of the guess work out.

Old Post 05-22-2018 04:03 AM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
80% are proven to have a genetic link from a recessive gene passed from breeding pairs that can be identified though testing to make better choices for breeding healthier dogs .. *kc got a grant 36 k to help fund a study that has not been had any information published yet on the time line and causes of the onset of a dog with the recessive gene for its thyroid to miss function . it is being done by m.s.u. as well . you can look at the information on the a.k.* website under health .

If it is recessive then if two thyroid dogs were bred then 100% of the offspring would be thyroid dogs because they would have nothing except the bad gene to pass along (remember recessive genes are not expressed as a phenotype unless the dominant copy is not present).

Old Post 05-22-2018 04:04 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
If it is recessive then if two thyroid dogs were bred then 100% of the offspring would be thyroid dogs because they would have nothing except the bad gene to pass along (remember recessive genes are not expressed as a phenotype unless the dominant copy is not present).
so if your dog has the bad gene then every breeding pair in its pedigree would have passed it from generation to generation to him . is that correct rip ? just like say a blue eye or different coat color it might pop up to be noticed years latter in a particular line .that is why i believe from my pedigree studies every dog in the historical reproducers list and their litter mates all have the recessive gene and passed on from line breeding winners to winners from to small a gene pool.now that we are hunting dogs more than we use to in competition hunts and technical advances in testing methods the thyroid problems are gaining more attention . use to we hunted in season and very little in the summer months . now we have have a hunt every night of the week to attend year round.

Last edited by thomasg on 05-22-2018 at 05:14 AM

Old Post 05-22-2018 05:02 AM