UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid Dogs
Pages (10): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
joey
UKC Forum Member

Tar there are a lot of them that have Lipper no where in their ped that have it. This isn't a single dog problem. I think in the end what will be found is this is a recessive gene and our practices of line breeding "inbreeding" has caused us a major problem. I also believe there are a lot of dogs that do not have the problem, but through in the fact that the tick problem can cause it and we have a lot of confusion.

Tar, I'm from Arkansas and your from Oklahoma we both know stuff goes wrong after several generations of breeding cousins to cousins and nieces to uncles.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-11-2018 03:03 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Joey your thoughts on the recessive gene are thr same as mine. My question then is. Will the test to see if your dog has a genetic related thyroid condition in todays world identify that issue. Or will we have wait twenty years for a genitic marker to be identified.

Old Post 05-11-2018 04:33 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

No it will not Bruce, from my understanding if its hereditary it will be autoimmune. The test will show markers for a autoimmune disease and if it is it's presumed genetic. At least that is my understanding.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-11-2018 04:58 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Tar there are a lot of them that have Lipper no where in their ped that have it. This isn't a single dog problem. I think in the end what will be found is this is a recessive gene and our practices of line breeding "inbreeding" has caused us a major problem. I also believe there are a lot of dogs that do not have the problem, but through in the fact that the tick problem can cause it and we have a lot of confusion.

Tar, I'm from Arkansas and your from Oklahoma we both know stuff goes wrong after several generations of breeding cousins to cousins and nieces to uncles.

we shouldn't just jump to conclusions that is a recessive gene, it may be a dominate gene unless u know for a fact which it is? facts only.

Old Post 05-11-2018 05:09 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:

Yepper lmbo !!

Tar

Old Post 05-11-2018 05:44 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I dont think joey and I know I am not thinking it is only a recessive gene. On some it may be and in others it will not. I just want to know how in breeding stock you eliminate the issue by testing and what testing that can show if the dog has it as either a dominate or recessive gene.
I would be willing to bet if ten of us took a 15 month old male we had to our local vet and told them we wanted the dog tested for a heridarity thyroid problem. We would get seversl different test performed with several different results. Some wrong. Guess i will do some more reading and figure out exactly what program MSU has and how I get a sample sent to them.

Old Post 05-11-2018 06:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I dont think joey and I know I am not thinking it is only a recessive gene. On some it may be and in others it will not. I just want to know how in breeding stock you eliminate the issue by testing and what testing that can show if the dog has it as either a dominate or recessive gene.
I would be willing to bet if ten of us took a 15 month old male we had to our local vet and told them we wanted the dog tested for a heridarity thyroid problem. We would get seversl different test performed with several different results. Some wrong. Guess i will do some more reading and figure out exactly what program MSU has and how I get a sample sent to them.

some of the best information is listed at s.m.u. under the f.o.a. profile test that i have found so far .

Old Post 05-11-2018 06:49 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
we shouldn't just jump to conclusions that is a recessive gene, it may be a dominate gene unless u know for a fact which it is? facts only.

while researching hypothyroidism a while back I did find in what seemed to be a creditable source that a recessive gene was normally responsible but there were exceptions. I remember reading something about there being a x linked gene that causes hypothyroidism but it was less common. Researching this stuff gets complicated pretty darn quick.

Last edited by Jgarrett on 05-11-2018 at 09:59 PM

Old Post 05-11-2018 09:53 PM
Jgarrett is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ahallada
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
So doc if Sombody were feeding non good quality dog food for a long period of time and it raised their dogs cholesterol is would make them act like they were having thyroid issues when not ?

Really I am trying to understand this I agree with Bruce we need to find out now !!!

Tar

I doubt poor quality food would cause an elevation in cholesterol like we see in people. Most food related thyroid issues appear to be related to iodine levels and iodine sources. I suspect it may also be related to a food additive that could be causing thyroid gland health issues. This food additive could be in the preservative of the suspect diets.

Cholesterol is just used as a diagnostic tool to diagnose primary hypothyroidism. It’s not thought to be a cause of hypothyroidism. We’ve just learned through massive amounts of testing that most dogs with primary hypothyroidism also have high cholesterol levels. I’d say most if not all of the dogs I’ve diagnosed have slight to severe elevations in cholesterol.

I think if we are to get to the bottom of this in coonhounds we need to rule out other causes of thyroid health issues while at the same time test for primary hypothyroidism. The best way I’ve found to do that is through Idexx Labs at this point because they have the most accurate test for Free T4 by Equilibrium Dialysis. They also have the most comprehensive tick panel on the market using the newest PCR testing methods. It tests for at least 10 tick related diseases in dogs. I believe the tick panel is outsourced to one of the major universities.

Geriatric Screen with Free T4 by ED
Comprehensive Tick Panel with Real PCR and 4DX

If you run these two panels through Idexx Labs you should get enough info to draw some conclusions on your dog.

Do I think there is a problem with coonhounds? I’m not 100% sure at this point. Many of the dogs I’ve been helping with seem to be suffering from primary hypothyroidism but there have been a few that had Sick Euthyroid Syndrome from tick born diseases. Once the tick disease was cleared up the thyroid gland started to function properly. We’ve also seen some dogs respond to dietary changes making certain dog foods suspect for causing thyroid gland problems. There is some concern with the Wipeout line of Walker dogs right now. I just don’t think we have enough correct info to make the call on any line of breeding right now.

Doc

Current:

PKC Ch. Gr.Nt.Ch. Cat Scratch Fever
(Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Aftershock x Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Outlaw Breanna)
2016 Finished to PKC Ch. in one week!

Dual Grand Champion CHKC Ch., PKC Gold Ch. All Grand Outlaw G-Man
(Gr.Nt.Ch.Glissens JJ Jr. x Gr.Nt.Ch. Outlaw Billy Jean)
4 Generations of All Grand Nite Champions!
Timber Jack 3X and Timber Chopper over 30X
2019 Southern National Redbone Days Champion
2016 National Grand Nite Champion Redbone
2016 CHKC Redbone Days Champion
2016 PKC Super Stakes Reserve Champion
2016 CHKC Elite Shootout Winner - Texas
CHKC All Time Money Winning Redbone

Bodacious
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch.PKC. Gold Ch.CHKC CH. Outlaw G-Man x Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. CHKC Ch., PKC Gold Ch. Classy Cali)

Past:
Gr.Nt.Ch.Ch. Dawns Timber Jack
1988 American Redbone Days All Red Hunt Winner
1989 UKC World Champion Redbone
1989 Purina Outstanding Redbone Coonhound
#2 Historic Redbone Sire/ Top 20 All Breeds
American Redbone Coonhound Assoc. Hall of Fame

Gr.Nt.Ch. Bussrow Bottom Brandy II
1991 American Redbone Days Champion
1992 AKC World Champion Redbone
1992 ACHA World Champion Redbone
1992 Wisconsin State Champion
1994 US Redbone Days Opposite Sex
Produced 2 Nt. Ch. , 1 Gr.Nt.Ch. out of 2 litters and two Redbone Days Winners

Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. PKC Gold Ch. Layton's Classy Cali
2012 UKC World Champion Redbone and 7th Place Overall
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 UKC World Champion Redbone Female
2015 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Hunt Winner - Goodsprings, AL
2015 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Series Race - 3rd Place Overall
2016 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Hunt Winner - New Albany, MS
2016 PKC Texas State Race Winner
2016 PKC Redbone Breed Race Winner
PKC All Time Money Winning Redbone

PKC Ch. Gr.Nt.Ch. Coffman's Smokin Red Buck
2016 UKC World Hunt 5th Place and World Champion Redbone
2016 National Redbone Days Overall Winner

Gr.Nt.Ch. Reinhart's Central Page
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Brandy II)

Gr.Nt.Ch. Too the Maxx
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Jenkins Crying Katie)
1992 National Redbone Days Champion

Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch. Ambraw River Rock
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch. Hersh's Huntin Red Kate)
1992 US Redbone Days Opposite Sex

Nt.Ch. Tree Bustin Annabelle
1986 American Redbone Days All Red Hunt Winner

Nt.Ch. Timber Mace
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack X Nt.Ch. Tree Bustin Annabelle)
Mother of Gr.Nt.Ch. Babb's Hazel

Nt. Ch. Timber Shock
(Gr.Nt.Ch.Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Outlaw Jessie)

Gr. Ch. Nt. Ch. Squaw Mountain Goldie
(Direct Daughter of Gr.Nt.Ch.Smokey Mountain Brandy)
1990 Autumn Oaks Best of Show Winner
1988 Indiana State Champion

Last edited by ahallada on 05-13-2018 at 12:49 PM

Old Post 05-13-2018 12:40 PM
ahallada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ahallada Click here to Send ahallada a Private Message Click Here to Email ahallada Find more posts by ahallada Add ahallada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I have raised my own dogs for a lot of years I take the best care I can to keep them healthy I am old school if a dog does not perform in the woods up to my expectations I cull them the old back in the day hunters did to because basicly a dog during hide season was very important for income for my family you wanted coons in every tree that probly is why if thyroid existed it was the way it got weeded out jmo. I breed a family of dogs but if a certain dog is up close on one side I put it 3 generations back on the other. Like I told Bruce the other day I really am nervous about this genetic thyroid issue I am really thinking on breeding my walker female to an English dog there is one I have hunted with his offspring and they tree coons , have good mouths and are winning hunts. There are some dogs in the walker breed that are passing on the genetic thyroid gene and it's got to the point the breed is saturated with them I don't know how to fix it but breed out of it.

Tar

Old Post 05-14-2018 02:51 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

the institute of canine biology thyroid disease is recessive .the most effective way to raise puppies that are homogous for recessive allele is to breed pure bred stock from closely related animals.

Old Post 05-14-2018 04:28 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

You gonna have to dum that down for me you lost me lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-14-2018 04:36 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

it takes to to tango .lol one recessive gene from each parent.lol

Last edited by thomasg on 05-14-2018 at 04:57 PM

Old Post 05-14-2018 04:52 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

What he is saying is what I have been saying, if its hereditary its a recessive gene. Recessive genes are brought out by line breeding and we do a lot of it.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-14-2018 04:57 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I have problems with small words let alone the big ones lol. I just breed for myself about every three years for something to hunt but like I said I don't stack it back to back. Unfortunately a lot of the breeders are to get a sellable pedigree so for me to outcross would take a lot of reaserch and information that I don't have. myself if I have a dog with that defect I would just cull it but I would hate to sell a pup and Sombody pour their heart and soul into that pup for three years then find out it had thyroid there is no amount of money that would make that right. Jmo

Tar

Old Post 05-14-2018 05:35 PM
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Some of this information here is false. My hound had Eurlychia last summer and recovered to %80 his thyroid level was at 1.4 and I took to heart what was said here about him needing to be at 2.5 after being on .8 mg twice a day for 6 weeks he now test at .6 I called hemopet and they say if a hound has no thyroid problems giving them medicine to raise it will actually drop it because a healthy thyroid will shut down and try keeping level at its normal range. More than likely in my case she said Eurlychia has retriggered

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 05-14-2018 08:37 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MR.RATMAN
Some of this information here is false. My hound had Eurlychia last summer and recovered to %80 his thyroid level was at 1.4 and I took to heart what was said here about him needing to be at 2.5 after being on .8 mg twice a day for 6 weeks he now test at .6 I called hemopet and they say if a hound has no thyroid problems giving them medicine to raise it will actually drop it because a healthy thyroid will shut down and try keeping level at its normal range. More than likely in my case she said Eurlychia has retriggered

I brought that up several times and was basically ignored.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-14-2018 08:42 PM
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Yes you did Joey, but after spending $3000 On this dog and 2 weeks after buying him I find out he had Eurlychia. I was willing to buy into this thyroid stuff to get him back to %100 and now hemopet tells me more than likely Eurlychia has retriggered. And you know how it goes the guy I got him from in Tennessee says he never even heard of Eurlychia

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 05-14-2018 08:57 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

bruce you are correct

it is not dogs fault but the practices of men that are the problem . we can save most of the dogs by making people aware of the problem and getting the dog to the vet . it is pride arrogance and the denial by men that we can not change .with the walker dog #16 and all other coon hound breeds # 38 of all breeds in the m.s.u. study you would think that would be a wake up call. that would send out a alarm to the breed ass . to try and protect the health of their breeds . what do the breed ass. think about genetic thyroid problems ? i would like to see some in put from them on this issue .

Last edited by thomasg on 05-16-2018 at 02:58 PM

Old Post 05-16-2018 05:49 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

golden retriever club of america

golden retrievers # 20 . 1 out of 4 golden retrievers will develop thyroidsis in their life time . 25% . why would we as hound owners expect the health of our dogs to be different than a breed that is that ranked higher in the study by m.s.u. ? the golden retriever club of america has some good information on thyroids in the health section for their breed that every hound owner can learn from . we as hound owners and breeders are years behind on the health issues that we face in our breeds.

Last edited by thomasg on 05-16-2018 at 02:32 PM

Old Post 05-16-2018 02:29 PM
ahallada
UKC Forum Member

Re: golden retriever club of america

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
golden retrievers # 20 . 1 out of 4 golden retrievers will develop thyroidsis in their life time . 25% . why would we as hound owners expect the health of our dogs to be different than a breed that is that ranked higher in the study by m.s.u. ? the golden retriever club of america has some good information on thyroids in the health section for their breed that every hound owner can learn from . we as hound owners and breeders are years behind on the health issues that we face in our breeds.

Well it's not that easy. Golden Retrievers, Boxers, Irish Wolfhounds etc. have a host of issues that our unique to those breeds, that aren't common in our hounds. It's not accurate to extrapolate information that is true for one breed and use it toward another breed. The genetics of each breed is unique to that breed. Not saying the coonhound breeds don't suffer from similar autoimmune thyroiditis and the genetics are different, but it's not accurate to assume they are the same causes and the same genetics involved here.

As far as the Sick Euthyroid Syndrome as a cause of low thyroid levels in hounds, I really believe many of them are related to tick born illness. I've been able to treat two chronic tick illnesses with newer therapies and the dogs are back to their old selves now without the need for thyroid supplementation. One was Ehrlichia and other was Lyme Disease. Lyme Disease is a disease we are just starting to learn more about how to treat. It actually develops cysts in the central nervous system in response to common therapies like Doxycycline and Tetracycline. Using alternative therapies like Minocycline along with Metronidazole for example will bring it out of the cyst stage and allow for the organism to be cleared. The addition of amigdylin has helped remove old scar tissue by aiding white blood cells to the area to clean up the wreckage where these cysts have died off or caused central nervous system lesions. So far the treatments are promising. But I agree, I don't recommend treating dogs with Thyroid medication that aren't primary hypothyroid cases and are really suffering from sick euthyroid disease from tick born illnesses.

Doc

Current:

PKC Ch. Gr.Nt.Ch. Cat Scratch Fever
(Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Aftershock x Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Moonlight Outlaw Breanna)
2016 Finished to PKC Ch. in one week!

Dual Grand Champion CHKC Ch., PKC Gold Ch. All Grand Outlaw G-Man
(Gr.Nt.Ch.Glissens JJ Jr. x Gr.Nt.Ch. Outlaw Billy Jean)
4 Generations of All Grand Nite Champions!
Timber Jack 3X and Timber Chopper over 30X
2019 Southern National Redbone Days Champion
2016 National Grand Nite Champion Redbone
2016 CHKC Redbone Days Champion
2016 PKC Super Stakes Reserve Champion
2016 CHKC Elite Shootout Winner - Texas
CHKC All Time Money Winning Redbone

Bodacious
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch.PKC. Gold Ch.CHKC CH. Outlaw G-Man x Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. CHKC Ch., PKC Gold Ch. Classy Cali)

Past:
Gr.Nt.Ch.Ch. Dawns Timber Jack
1988 American Redbone Days All Red Hunt Winner
1989 UKC World Champion Redbone
1989 Purina Outstanding Redbone Coonhound
#2 Historic Redbone Sire/ Top 20 All Breeds
American Redbone Coonhound Assoc. Hall of Fame

Gr.Nt.Ch. Bussrow Bottom Brandy II
1991 American Redbone Days Champion
1992 AKC World Champion Redbone
1992 ACHA World Champion Redbone
1992 Wisconsin State Champion
1994 US Redbone Days Opposite Sex
Produced 2 Nt. Ch. , 1 Gr.Nt.Ch. out of 2 litters and two Redbone Days Winners

Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. PKC Gold Ch. Layton's Classy Cali
2012 UKC World Champion Redbone and 7th Place Overall
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 UKC World Champion Redbone Female
2015 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Hunt Winner - Goodsprings, AL
2015 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Series Race - 3rd Place Overall
2016 PKC Blue Ribbon Pro Hunt Winner - New Albany, MS
2016 PKC Texas State Race Winner
2016 PKC Redbone Breed Race Winner
PKC All Time Money Winning Redbone

PKC Ch. Gr.Nt.Ch. Coffman's Smokin Red Buck
2016 UKC World Hunt 5th Place and World Champion Redbone
2016 National Redbone Days Overall Winner

Gr.Nt.Ch. Reinhart's Central Page
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Brandy II)

Gr.Nt.Ch. Too the Maxx
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Jenkins Crying Katie)
1992 National Redbone Days Champion

Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch. Ambraw River Rock
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack x Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch. Hersh's Huntin Red Kate)
1992 US Redbone Days Opposite Sex

Nt.Ch. Tree Bustin Annabelle
1986 American Redbone Days All Red Hunt Winner

Nt.Ch. Timber Mace
(Gr.Nt.Ch. Timber Jack X Nt.Ch. Tree Bustin Annabelle)
Mother of Gr.Nt.Ch. Babb's Hazel

Nt. Ch. Timber Shock
(Gr.Nt.Ch.Timber Jack x Gr.Nt.Ch. Outlaw Jessie)

Gr. Ch. Nt. Ch. Squaw Mountain Goldie
(Direct Daughter of Gr.Nt.Ch.Smokey Mountain Brandy)
1990 Autumn Oaks Best of Show Winner
1988 Indiana State Champion

Old Post 05-16-2018 08:24 PM
ahallada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ahallada Click here to Send ahallada a Private Message Click Here to Email ahallada Find more posts by ahallada Add ahallada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

doc i posted a pedigree of a dog on the walker site that tested positive in his thyroid profile for( genetic thyroidsis by the presence of auto immune anti bodies) tgaa.. would i be correct in saying that every breeding pair in his pedigree passed one recessive gene to him ? can you breed out the recessive genes by testing and breeding one positive dog to one that tested negative if that was your only option or you wanted to save as many good traits in a line without starting back at square one ?

Last edited by thomasg on 05-17-2018 at 01:07 PM

Old Post 05-17-2018 02:24 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Is the gene for a genetic thyroid problem dominate or recessive? Or is it caused by a gene that has mutated or has become deformed? If their gene becomes deformed due to drugs or tick deseaze, will they then pass this on to their offspring?

Old Post 05-17-2018 02:32 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

thyroids

quote:
What he is saying is what I have been saying, if its hereditary its a recessive gene. Recessive genes are brought out by line breeding and we do a lot of it.
one gene passed from sire one gene from dam

Old Post 05-17-2018 02:59 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

michagan state university diagnostic labortory

click left on diagnostic sections then move down on right and click on endocrinology move down and click on thyroid registration information . just about everything you need to know about auto immune thyroidsis can be found here including the test you need to use to see if your dog is genetic or other causes and how to enter your dog in a data bank for people wanting to make better choices for breeding purposes or buy a pup .

Old Post 05-18-2018 02:52 PM