UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon recipe
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Coon recipe

Hunted them for years and haven’t ate one yet. Always sold them. someone told me that if I didn’t get a certain gland out I will get sick. Is that true? Anybody like eating coons? If so what do y’all make coon hash

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-08-2019 07:50 PM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

I know some of y’all got to like eating them for how many people hunt them

Old Post 11-08-2019 08:35 PM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Not me porkchops are to cheap to eat them things !!

Tar

Old Post 11-08-2019 08:42 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

https://youtu.be/pKjB_RBLlRQ

Old Post 11-08-2019 09:11 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I am not saying I will never, but I’m gonna need to be pretty hungry .......

Old Post 11-08-2019 11:41 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

You most definitely want to remove the glands. Trim all the fat off you can then prepare it any way you wish. You can par boil them and then roast with vegetables. I like them grilled and barbecued. To me the most similar meat I can compare it to would be lamb.

Old Post 11-09-2019 01:08 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Eaten coon

Yep sure have and do. Clean as much fat off and glands out. Boil reclean remove more fat check for anything that isn't good meat. Than finish in what dish you want. We've made everything from BBQ coon, coon enchiladas, and coon stew. Everyone of them turned out good. The club has a wildlife dinner. Our coon enchiladas were requested again as soon as the dinner came up. And we made coon stew, same as beef stew just with coon instead and extra beef bullion, a big pot. It was all gone it the end of the night.

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 11-09-2019 at 04:21 AM

Old Post 11-09-2019 04:18 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Skin it, gut it wash it . Make sure you cut the little scent glands out. Put it in a big pot with potatoes , onions, and carrots. Bake at 350 until meat is falling off the bone. Throw the coon out to the hogs and eat the vegetables and a hamburger.

Old Post 11-09-2019 12:49 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Where exactly are the scent glands at?

Old Post 11-09-2019 07:40 PM
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Not sure if youve cleaned squirrel but real similar scent glass
Under front arm pits behind knee on hind quarters. Looks like ball of fat

Old Post 11-09-2019 07:48 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Glands are easy to see. They're darker than the fat. Sometime there are some glands inside the back and rib cage. Bon appetit.

Old Post 11-10-2019 11:59 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
big boy
UKC Forum Member

Recipe

Take musk out put in crock pot ,cook till it falls of the bone , put it a baking pan with your favorite bbq sauce , bake it on 350 for 30 minutes,mmmm good

Old Post 11-11-2019 12:27 AM
big boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big boy Click here to Send big boy a Private Message Click Here to Email big boy Find more posts by big boy Add big boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Glands are easy to see. They're darker than the fat. Sometime there are some glands inside the back and rib cage. Bon appetit.

You forgot one important aspect of the cleaning process, which is the "Trolling"!!!!

Old Post 11-11-2019 01:05 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wesley good
UKC Forum Member

Exactly what glands and where are they please
I have eat Coon years ago but some were strong I am sure just like any wild how it’s taken care of in the feild makes all the difference

Old Post 11-11-2019 03:49 PM
wesley good is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wesley good Click here to Send wesley good a Private Message Find more posts by wesley good Add wesley good to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wesley good
UKC Forum Member

Exactly what glands and where are they please
I have eat Coon years ago but some were strong I am sure just like any wild how it’s taken care of in the feild makes all the difference

Old Post 11-11-2019 03:49 PM
wesley good is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wesley good Click here to Send wesley good a Private Message Find more posts by wesley good Add wesley good to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Prince
Skin it, gut it wash it . Make sure you cut the little scent glands out. Put it in a big pot with potatoes , onions, and carrots. Bake at 350 until meat is falling off the bone. Throw the coon out to the hogs and eat the vegetables and a hamburger.

Yes sir!

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 11-11-2019 04:26 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

I was hungry till I read this thread.

Old Post 11-11-2019 04:45 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

If your seriously wanting to eat one and have it taste good, instead of wasting time on here getting smart ass replies. Just Google it look up what your wanting to know. There are a bunch of recipes and how to videos that will send you in the right direction.

Old Post 11-11-2019 11:00 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Thanks yes I was looking forward to the smart ass replies because I know most people kill them but won’t eat them. But yeah I was more just making sure the scent gland thing wasn’t a myth... I will experiment with some recipes I already know I want to try to make it into bbq or coon hash I heard it was called

Old Post 11-12-2019 03:23 AM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I go one step further. Do not cut the glands with your skinning knife and continue to use the knife. Also, I remove as much fat as I can, but I do that with all meat.

Properly prepared coon taste identical to beef pot roast.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 11-13-2019 07:20 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If I were fixing a coon to eat I would cut him up and soak the pieces in ice water with a dash of vinegar and salt added to the water...after two days I would dump out the water and repeat process...then I would could him up as pot roast...

Old Post 11-16-2019 01:44 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
I go one step further. Do not cut the glands with your skinning knife and continue to use the knife. Also, I remove as much fat as I can, but I do that with all meat.

Properly prepared coon taste identical to beef pot roast.

I don't know where you're getting your roast, but you might want to consider changing butcher.

Last edited by shadinc on 11-16-2019 at 06:55 PM

Old Post 11-16-2019 04:03 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Actually, Shad, I am not a fan of pot roast. My preferred way to eat pot roast is in a barbeque like a pulled pork sandwich.

I have made raccoon for a lot of people over the years, and they all say that it taste like pot roast. I have even brought barbequed coon to a Christmas dinner at work (University). It didn't get 1 complaint in a room filled with liberals.. It was the first dish gone. The deserts didn't even stand a chance.

I am a good cook though.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 11-18-2019 07:23 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Buddy mine decided try coon and cut glands boiled all fat off then cut it up let it soak in salt water. Fried it like you do deer meat said it was pretty good.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 11-18-2019 07:53 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
Buddy mine decided try coon and cut glands boiled all fat off then cut it up let it soak in salt water. Fried it like you do deer meat said it was pretty good.

In my earlier post I said soak in ice water, salt and vinegar and dump water after a day or two and repeat...then I said make a pot roast but I really don’t like pot roast of any kind...but I would make Carne Guisada out of it or fried like deer meat as you said...it could be made to taste good I just have to thing about something else when I eat coon meat...

Old Post 11-20-2019 12:10 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote