UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Purina PRO PLAN PERFORMANCE vs Diamond Naturals EA....
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
beagler/mike
UKC Forum Member

Diamond has had more recalls then Toyota , they scare me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-05-2014 01:40 PM
beagler/mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beagler/mike Click here to Send beagler/mike a Private Message Find more posts by beagler/mike Add beagler/mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
breezyoaks
UKC Forum Member

recalls

quote:
Originally posted by beagler/mike

But not as many as Chevy........lol

Patrick Barrett

Old Post 10-05-2014 02:29 PM
breezyoaks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for breezyoaks Click here to Send breezyoaks a Private Message Click Here to Email breezyoaks Find more posts by breezyoaks Add breezyoaks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

Purina has enough money to cover thiers.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 10-05-2014 05:10 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Diamond.....

quote:
Originally posted by Cleo
Purina has enough money to cover thiers.

At their prices, believe me they could cover theirs too.
That's the dif..........Purina =Quality.....!!!.....

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 10-05-2014 06:22 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

I just can not trust my dogs well being to any company that has had as many dogs die from eating their feed as diamond has. When was the last time a dog died from eating Pro Plan? money can't cover up a good story for the news media.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 10-05-2014 10:18 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Kirkes
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark A. Hauck
M I've watched as all companies raised their prices, must have something to do with the cost of the ingredients ?? Don't know but I've never had a dog eat its own waste and have fed Purina One and Pro Plan for way more years than I'll admitt

Maybe them dogs need to see a doctor or something, I know its great feed but to eat it twice ???? Can anyone say head doctor

And Yes, I might pay a couple of $$ more for a product as long as they support my sport and continue to support a sport that I choose to take part in. Without our supporters from all walks of life our sport would be doomed and over.

Like the old saying goes I support those who support me !!! I think that is about as old as Apple pie and the American flag !!

Many of you will remember my husband Harold Kirkes the Purina Field Rep for coonhounds for many years and I have been a Purina Ambassador since 1992. We have fed Pro Plan Performance to our dogs since the product hit the stores. Before that we fed Hi Pro and Dog Chow. One of the things I do know about Purina is that they do feed studies and tests on the products they sell for several years before those products are put out to sell. Most pet foods today are just made from a recipe and bagged up and sold. I have watched rail cars pull into a Purina factory and before the corn or whatever is accepted, a sample is taken and tested for quality before it's even accepted by the facility. Purina goes to great measures to insure they put out a quality product that is safe and high quality feed for your animals. Our dogs always had great muscle, beautiful coats and the stamina of 3 dogs combined. Harold was always a hard hunter and his dogs had to go every night when he was still hunting. He hunted in snow and ice and heat and rain....the year he and Gary Starns hunted the English dog Cactus Jack in the Purina race it was an ungodly hot summer. Jack was a really hot natured dog...not once did he heat up on a hunt and he was ready to go every night. Pro Plan Performance was his feed. Because Harold was on the road alot at the events I did most of the feeding and kennel cleaning here at the home place. I can promise you that Pro Plan Performance not only agreed with the dogs...it made my job feeding as many as 20+ hounds a whole lot easier. I had maybe one stool per dog in the kennel to wash down daily, the dogs ate all their feed and liked it. Another thing I noticed about PPP was the smell was not as noticible
as with some other brands. The price is one of the higher ones out there for feed but you don't need to feed as much as many other brands and it's not just passing through the dog....they absorb it. One other thing, the first time I went through a Purina facility I was amazed at how clean it was...all stainless steel machines and workers with white jackets and hair and shoes covers on. I can only wish all the products I buy down at the local Piggly Wiggly is made in such a clean place..probably not I have given way too much of my 2 cents worth on a product that I really believe in. But when you have the success we have enjoyed from feeding Pro Plan Performance you just want to share and encourage others to feed it to their dogs. Good Luck to all of you and be sure and stop by the Purina Both at all the UKC major events and say Hi to Larry Walters!

Janet Kirkes

P.S. One more thing, there is another Pet Food company out there that does feed studies on their Products and that is Pedigree at the Waltham Farm. Just wanted to give credit where it's due. I like knowing my dogs on Purina won't die from eating the feed. I also have a 14 year old minature silver male poodle who goes by the name of Herbie who is a picture of health. He is strong and can out run me any day....laugh! He eats PPP and has all his life.

Old Post 10-05-2014 11:30 PM
Janet Kirkes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Janet Kirkes Find more posts by Janet Kirkes Add Janet Kirkes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Well Said......!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Janet Kirkes
Many of you will remember my husband Harold Kirkes the Purina Field Rep for coonhounds for many years and I have been a Purina Ambassador since 1992. We have fed Pro Plan Performance to our dogs since the product hit the stores. Before that we fed Hi Pro and Dog Chow. One of the things I do know about Purina is that they do feed studies and tests on the products they sell for several years before those products are put out to sell. Most pet foods today are just made from a recipe and bagged up and sold. I have watched rail cars pull into a Purina factory and before the corn or whatever is accepted, a sample is taken and tested for quality before it's even accepted by the facility. Purina goes to great measures to insure they put out a quality product that is safe and high quality feed for your animals. Our dogs always had great muscle, beautiful coats and the stamina of 3 dogs combined. Harold was always a hard hunter and his dogs had to go every night when he was still hunting. He hunted in snow and ice and heat and rain....the year he and Gary Starns hunted the English dog Cactus Jack in the Purina race it was an ungodly hot summer. Jack was a really hot natured dog...not once did he heat up on a hunt and he was ready to go every night. Pro Plan Performance was his feed. Because Harold was on the road alot at the events I did most of the feeding and kennel cleaning here at the home place. I can promise you that Pro Plan Performance not only agreed with the dogs...it made my job feeding as many as 20+ hounds a whole lot easier. I had maybe one stool per dog in the kennel to wash down daily, the dogs ate all their feed and liked it. Another thing I noticed about PPP was the smell was not as noticible
as with some other brands. The price is one of the higher ones out there for feed but you don't need to feed as much as many other brands and it's not just passing through the dog....they absorb it. One other thing, the first time I went through a Purina facility I was amazed at how clean it was...all stainless steel machines and workers with white jackets and hair and shoes covers on. I can only wish all the products I buy down at the local Piggly Wiggly is made in such a clean place..probably not I have given way too much of my 2 cents worth on a product that I really believe in. But when you have the success we have enjoyed from feeding Pro Plan Performance you just want to share and encourage others to feed it to their dogs. Good Luck to all of you and be sure and stop by the Purina Both at all the UKC major events and say Hi to Larry Walters!

Janet Kirkes

P.S. One more thing, there is another Pet Food company out there that does feed studies on their Products and that is Pedigree at the Waltham Farm. Just wanted to give credit where it's due. I like knowing my dogs on Purina won't die from eating the feed. I also have a 14 year old minature silver male poodle who goes by the name of Herbie who is a picture of health. He is strong and can out run me any day....laugh! He eats PPP and has all his life.

That about Sums it up......!!!
Purina is Simply The Best....!!!

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 10-06-2014 12:52 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L.Richard
UKC Forum Member

Purina ?

If Purina is one of the better feeds....why does the dog food advisor say different?Take five minutes and check the advisor out.NO opinions or favorites all science.It could be the best feed...the advisor says maybe not.

517-605-3199

Old Post 10-06-2014 10:44 AM
L.Richard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L.Richard Click here to Send L.Richard a Private Message Click Here to Email L.Richard Find more posts by L.Richard Add L.Richard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Purina ?

quote:
Originally posted by L.Richard
If Purina is one of the better feeds....why does the dog food advisor say different?Take five minutes and check the advisor out.NO opinions or favorites all science.It could be the best feed...the advisor says maybe not.

I have checked that site out, I think they are full of Bull myself....!!!
I go by the way my hounds look and perform on dog foods, not some scientist that doesn't know what a Coonhound looks like.
I have used a lot of different foods listed, and some that's not listed...
It doesn't get any better than Purina.......!!!

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 10-06-2014 11:46 AM
L.Richard
UKC Forum Member

Just what I thought.

So we should not place any value on nutritional science?And those lab geeks do not need to know how a coonhound looks like....they need to know how those feed ingredients work in the dogs body.My question is not about Purina feeds,I am asking why do we not listen to factual information, and make a good decision based on that?For example...do the homework first...ask questions,and decide.

517-605-3199

Old Post 10-06-2014 02:10 PM
L.Richard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L.Richard Click here to Send L.Richard a Private Message Click Here to Email L.Richard Find more posts by L.Richard Add L.Richard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Stocking
UKC Forum Member

Richard the Dog Food Advisor is made up of three old ladies who are opinionated. Somebodies making money off that site. Through the years we have all fed many brands of feed. IMO hands down Purina has been the most consistent in quality.
Just about any feed on the market can keep weight on a hound with proper care. Only a few add the stamina and muscle tone needed to perform night after night.

NTCH PKCSilverCH Coble & Stocking's Swamp Rat Poison

NTCH Coble & Stocking's Stinger (GRNTCH Troubles x GRNTCH Fancy)

NTCH ACHA WReserve Team Troubles Trippy
Black & Tan

Old Post 10-06-2014 02:54 PM
Lee Stocking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Stocking Click here to Send Lee Stocking a Private Message Click Here to Email Lee Stocking Find more posts by Lee Stocking Add Lee Stocking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

True.....

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Stocking
Richard the Dog Food Advisor is made up of three old ladies who are opinionated. Somebodies making money off that site. Through the years we have all fed many brands of feed. IMO hands down Purina has been the most consistent in quality.
Just about any feed on the market can keep weight on a hound with proper care. Only a few add the stamina and muscle tone needed to perform night after night.

Very good post Lee and I agree 100%....!!!

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 10-06-2014 03:45 PM
robert whitten
UKC Forum Member

yep the dog food advisor is no different than the BBB [ better bizz buro ] all you need to do to get a AAA rating with the BBB is pay the premium membership fee . I feed my new walker pups purina and my ol hog dogs caliber they all look good and preform well in all conditions .

the high cost of dog feed is at the counter , when dealers will lower their profit margin on dog feed we would all be happy lol . dog feed is marked up around 5 to 7 dollars a bag . and it really gets me when you ask about a volume discount they will tell you they will knock off a quarter a bag and act like they are really helping you out lol

Old Post 10-06-2014 03:51 PM
robert whitten is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robert whitten Click here to Send robert whitten a Private Message Click Here to Email robert whitten Find more posts by robert whitten Add robert whitten to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L.Richard
UKC Forum Member

This is not about Purina!

Why then Lee....do we disregard all nutritional science?The dog food advisor uses the same methods of testing feed, and all of the ingredients included as the livestock industry does.Do we follow a nutritional plan for ourselves...ok sometimes,do we follow directions from a trustworthy vet?I think we form an opinion, start believing our opinion...like it is the gospel,and then tell the whole world what we beleive...even if it is no more then bullchit.

517-605-3199

Old Post 10-06-2014 03:52 PM
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

Purina should support the hunts with all the profit they rake in.They are way overpriced.Yall crack me up.

Old Post 10-06-2014 04:08 PM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinH23
UKC Forum Member

Black Gold supports the sport too.

Proud member of the Deer Creek Cartel

Founding Member of the BSKC. Making coon hunting great again.

Home of:

`PR` B$C Clifford (BoonexCopper)
`PR` Johnson Branch Stub (GitXCree)

Old Post 10-06-2014 04:22 PM
JustinH23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinH23 Click here to Send JustinH23 a Private Message Click Here to Email JustinH23 Find more posts by JustinH23 Add JustinH23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Purina ?

quote:
Originally posted by L.Richard

Richard if I pay the way for the dog food advisor as some of the companies in it do, I could get me an A-1 rating every time. They like money, and they print for it.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 10-06-2014 10:54 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IBowles
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[B]Diamond has had more recalls then Toyota , they scare me
. [

x2 /B]

Old Post 10-07-2014 12:41 AM
IBowles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IBowles Click here to Send IBowles a Private Message Click Here to Email IBowles Find more posts by IBowles Add IBowles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HAROLD WHITE
UKC Forum Member

dog feed

quote:
yea they scare the hell out me to....

Old Post 10-07-2014 02:53 AM
HAROLD WHITE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HAROLD WHITE Click here to Send HAROLD WHITE a Private Message Find more posts by HAROLD WHITE Add HAROLD WHITE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IBowles
UKC Forum Member

Prostockpat I feed the victor dog food and loved it but the feed mill that stocked it couldn't keep it in for me. I was the one that got them to start selling victor products. There was countless times I had to feed Purina cause they didn't have the Victor. So I switched to Purina and went to another store. I have had good luck with the Purina pro plan Lamb and rice

Old Post 10-07-2014 12:20 PM
IBowles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IBowles Click here to Send IBowles a Private Message Click Here to Email IBowles Find more posts by IBowles Add IBowles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prostockpat
Banned

Victor/Diamond EA

Wow.
5 cups Purina a day?
You could feed 3-4 cups of Victor or Diamond EA, w/ better results and save money.
The Purina your feeding costs around the same.
Whatever guys are feeding today like it and don't want to here anything could be better.I was like that myself until I tried Victor.

'Pr' Nitech. Stylish Clover Shark Jill
Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch
Queen of hunt TWBFA Walker Sectional.Franklin Co. Coonhunters{Oh.}2013.

Old Post 10-07-2014 03:12 PM
prostockpat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prostockpat Click here to Send prostockpat a Private Message Click Here to Email prostockpat Find more posts by prostockpat Add prostockpat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Fielder
UKC Forum Member

My Plott Hoss will be six years old on November 9th of this year. When he arrived from Kevin Lundholm’s home in Ohio in February of 2009, he was three months old. Kevin’s wife sent a bag of Diamond dog food and a bag of Ol’ Roy Peanut Butter dog biscuits along to make his transition easier.

When the zip lock bag of dog food was gone I bought a bag of Purina One Chicken and Rice. At some point I switched to Purina One Smart Blend Lamb and Rice. He has had nothing else but Purina One fed dry except the Ol’ Roy Peanut Butter dog biscuits for rewards in his training and as a snack since he was three months old. He gets two or three of the medium-sized biscuits each day.

Hoss matured into a 65-pound hound in hunting shape as he is now; perhaps 70 pounds in the summertime. I feed him five, one-cup measures of dry Purina One each day. His weight holds up well and his hair coat is excellent. He has plenty of fresh, clean water at his disposal at all times.

He has never had his teeth cleaned.

Neither Purina nor Walmart solicited this testimonial. I just think it amazing that he has the mouth of a one-year old when he is actually five times that age. You may want to consider this regimen for feeding your dog.

Last edited by Steve Fielder on 10-07-2014 at 04:30 PM

Old Post 10-07-2014 04:08 PM
Steve Fielder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Fielder Visit Steve Fielder's homepage! Find more posts by Steve Fielder Add Steve Fielder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Fielder
UKC Forum Member

I forgot to mention the firm, small amount of stool I get each day from a 70-pound dog. I've been to the Purina research farms and attended a couple of Purina seminars. I'm not sure what kind of research the other dog food companies do but Purina goes over the top in that regard. If they aren't making good feed for dogs, they are wasting a lot of time and money and the dogs that eat it don't know it.

I've been around dogs for most of my soon-to-be 68 years and have worked with a lot of dog food companies. For my dollar, I can't beat Purina-brand feeds. They simply have the resources to make the best and I believe they do.

Last edited by Steve Fielder on 10-07-2014 at 04:39 PM

Old Post 10-07-2014 04:37 PM
Steve Fielder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Fielder Visit Steve Fielder's homepage! Find more posts by Steve Fielder Add Steve Fielder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L.Richard
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Fielder

It was good visiting with you at autumn oaks this year.Let me ask this of you....can you or any others provide a web site,other then the dog food advisor( as some feel they are being paid to sway the quality of the feed tested)that will give an honest evaluation of any and all dog feeds available today? It is very obvious to any one reading these post concerning dog food quality, that many decisions are not being made from consumer research....some are convincing themselves that they are feeding a high quality feed, even if they are not.So you are a problem solving kind of guy...how about it? No opinions....no hearsay...just the truth.I am starting to believe the Republican conspiracy theories have now entered the world of dog food.If the dog food advisor had rated Purina at the highest rating,the nay sayers would be screaming" SEE I TOLD YOU"the results did not favor the Purina feeds , so some choose to disregaurd what is fact.However if you folks have had good luck with any brand of feed...go on your way, I am not trying to sway any one from the choice that is theirs to make.But please no Republican theories.

517-605-3199

Old Post 10-07-2014 05:01 PM
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

Steve that Hoss is one fine looking hound but I think he brushes his teeth when your not looking.lol.Just kidding

Old Post 10-07-2014 10:05 PM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote