UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > 2019 Hunting Beagle Rule Changes
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Roy/UKC
UKC Moderator

2019 Hunting Beagle Rule Changes

The following changes have been approved and will be in place for
events after January 1, 2019. I know there will be plenty of discussion and felt this would be a better place for the announcement then Facebook.

STRIKING DOG ON BEFORE THE THIRD BARK:

Judges will no longer be required to ask for a call on a dog(s) who has opened three times and not struck by the handler. The handler is required to strike the dog on or before the third bark after the first three minutes of the hunt. This is going back to what was always in place before "the judge must ask rule was implemented". Updated rule will read as follows:
3. Minus Points
f. After the first three minutes of hunt, dog must be declared struck on or before the third bark. Dog not declared struck on or before third bark will receive the available strike position minused, then awarded that same strike position. For second offense see Rule 5(n).

Example: Jason Mercer's Joker dog strikes first for 100. Lance Wilson's Ol Duke opens three times but handler Earl Taft fails to call him on that third bark. Chief opens and Trevor McNewby strikes him. The judge in this situation would minus Duke 75 and put him in at 75. Chief would go on the card for 50.

FAILING TO HUNT
New for 2019 when a dog(s) fail to hunt for any continuous 3 minute period the dog(s) will be minused a 100 points. This will be recorded in the Losses/Recoveries/No Hunt column of the new 2019 scorecard. Rule 3G. Will read as follows:

After the first three minutes of the hunt, any dog(s) failing to hunt for any continuous three-minute period will receive 100 minus points. Dog(s) are not to be moved or encouraged to hunt while on the clock. See Rule 5(b) for dog(s) failing to hunt for any continuous five-minute period.
Note: This is NOT a majority minus situation. All or any dog will each receive a 100 minus if they fail to hunt for a continuous three minutes starting in 2019. Time does not stop at three minutes and if the time gets to five minutes dog(s) are scratched in accordance with 5(b).

SPLIT TRACK SCORING:

Previously if dog(s) split before their called strike position was secured and pulled to another track they were minused their position. Exception, majority was minused at the same time. What was concerning is when it happened with less than the majority. Dog(s) were receiving more and less minus points for the same offense. I know your saying well that also happens when less than majority fail to produce. Yes, but implementing a 50 minus only rule there effects to many areas. "For split track situations only" beginning in 2019 ALL or ANY dog deemed to have left their track to join another track will receive 50 minus. You will find the rule under the Minus point section 3(h) it reads as follows:

h. Dog(s) leaving their track to join a split track will receive 50 minus points and any unscored strike position shall be deleted. This applies only for dog(s) leaving their track to join another split track.

This is a very simple rule to clarify. You now score it just like you would if the split happened after the first line was scored. Dog's must be struck back in once they join split track as they always have as well.

TIES
Tie breaker rules were looked at in an effort to get away from everybody's favorite the dreaded COIN FLIP as much as possible. New for 2019 most deleted strike positions have been added as the final determining scoring factor. After that one 15 minute overtime between the dogs involved will be done. The official rule and procedure will read as follows:

7. TIES:
a. All ties to be broken for UKC points. Dog will win out over other dog; dog that has the least number of minus points; if still a tie, dog that has the most plus strike points; if still a tie, dog that has the most plus speed/drive points; if still a tie, dog that has the most recovery points; if still a tie, dog that has the most circled strike points; if still a tie, dog that has the most deleted strike points; if still a tie; dogs involved only will hunt in one 15-minute overtime. Overtime scoring to determine tie breaker only and does not change original score. Cast shall not return to club until overtime hunt is completed. Return deadline to be extended 15 minutes for any cast hunting overtime. If still a tie; flip a coin to determine cast winner.

Clarification: I really don't know what more we can do to stay away from a coin flip decision then what this year's committee has put into place. Nobody likes them and we all agree a dogs performance should determine the winner and not a coin flip. Overtime hunt time has been shortened and a cast need not return to hunt it off.

Policy Changes:

Splitting up multiple owner entries:

It's no secret adding a name as a owner for the sole purpose of not having to worry about drawing each other at events was happening and getting out of hand. Change has come for 2019. After January 1, 2019 the only name considered for splitting up multiple owner entries is the first name listed on the easy entry card (sole signatory).

Clarification: This was a must in my book and I applaud this year's committee in addressing the situation. As an official myself it was becoming a bit ridiculous the effort needed to ensure these dogs weren't together.

Effective 2019: NO All-Star points will be awarded at Youth Only events.

2018 Pilot Programs: Timed Lines and advancing all cast winners.

Timed lines will not be implemented. The feedback was overwhelmingly against and we listened to you the UKC beagler. I for one thought I liked it, but after judging a few casts with it I found I didn't. That being said we need to make sure we are circling rabbits. This format was created on a dog circling the rabbit to the gun. Not jump shooting. Essentially that is what a line is, a place you would shoot the rabbit after a circle.
Advancing all Cast Winners regardless of score has been approved for the following events:
Hunting Beagle Nationals
Hunting Beagle World
Eliminators East and West
Don McVay Sr. Memorial
This proved to work very well and was a unanimous decision.

The back of the scorecard will look a bit different then in previous years as we have attempted to clean it up so to speak. Policies have been omitted and we have attempted to put things that were relevant together. I would like to thank Field Reps Jeff Stacy, Allen Newby, Jeff Davis, Brian Hutton, Kevin Weaver, Fred Hawkins and NHBA Representatives Scott Clark and Jason Mercer for serving on this year's committee.

Rule Seminars will also be scheduled for better clarifications at events in 2019.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-16-2018 05:10 PM
Roy/UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy/UKC Click here to Send Roy/UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy/UKC Find more posts by Roy/UKC Add Roy/UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote