UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What works best to keep flys off ears.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
funky88
UKC Forum Member

What works best to keep flys off ears.

Need something quick.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-28-2012 01:10 AM
funky88 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for funky88 Click here to Send funky88 a Private Message Click Here to Email funky88 Find more posts by funky88 Add funky88 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smartin0022
UKC Forum Member

Try permethrin sp*

Old Post 07-28-2012 01:28 AM
smartin0022 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smartin0022 Click here to Send smartin0022 a Private Message Click Here to Email smartin0022 Find more posts by smartin0022 Add smartin0022 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Danny Glista
UKC Forum Member

TSC

Go and get permethrin 10 and mix 1 oz. to a gal of water and put in spray bottle and spray and wet your hounds down. keep out of hoinds eyes and wear gloves when applying it! Fleas,flies,nats, and ticks will be gone. repeat every month as needed. can be repeated in 2 weeks if needed but I have never had to go that route!! Cheap and very effective for what I stated above. Best stuff I have used and cheap!!

Old Post 07-28-2012 02:36 AM
Danny Glista is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Danny Glista Click here to Send Danny Glista a Private Message Click Here to Email Danny Glista Find more posts by Danny Glista Add Danny Glista to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GLANCY'S 7 MILE
UKC Forum Member

Re: TSC

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Glista
Go and get permethrin 10 and mix 1 oz. to a gal of water and put in spray bottle and spray and wet your hounds down. keep out of hounds eyes and wear gloves when applying it! Fleas,flies,gnats, and ticks will be gone. repeat every month as needed. can be repeated in 2 weeks if needed but I have never had to go that route!! Cheap and very effective for what I stated above. Best stuff I have used and cheap!!

I agree, Permethrin 10 is very cheap and very effective. Sevin Dust also works very good and is also very cheap.

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Old Post 07-28-2012 03:06 AM
GLANCY'S 7 MILE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GLANCY'S 7 MILE Click here to Send GLANCY'S 7 MILE a Private Message Click Here to Email GLANCY'S 7 MILE Visit GLANCY'S 7 MILE's homepage! Find more posts by GLANCY'S 7 MILE Add GLANCY'S 7 MILE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shaun Paton
UKC Forum Member

ear protection

Go to your local farm store and buy a jar of Swat. It is made by Farnum.It is for horses, but it's the best stuff that I have ever used. Just a dab on each ear and thats all you need.

Shaun Paton
Chase Creek Kennels

Old Post 07-28-2012 03:14 AM
Shaun Paton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun Paton Click here to Send Shaun Paton a Private Message Find more posts by Shaun Paton Add Shaun Paton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bronco
UKC Forum Member

all you need is a cattle tag and slip it on the collar. no tick,fleas or flies for 6 months.

HABIT'S JUNGLE FEVER (Bad Habit's Son x Two Lost Sox).

Old Post 07-28-2012 05:52 AM
bronco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bronco Click here to Send bronco a Private Message Find more posts by bronco Add bronco to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maryk
UKC Forum Member

What about using DE for fly control? It 's a good insecticide.

Old Post 07-30-2012 02:43 PM
maryk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maryk Click Here to Email maryk Find more posts by maryk Add maryk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robert whitten
UKC Forum Member

the trick i use is to take some permethrin 10% and mix it with some bag balm or udder butter and apply the salve to the ears . last a bit longer than just plain permethrin and soothes and heals any bite or raw spots allready on ears . having cattle on three sides of me we have a ton of biting flies .

Old Post 07-30-2012 04:37 PM
robert whitten is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robert whitten Click here to Send robert whitten a Private Message Click Here to Email robert whitten Find more posts by robert whitten Add robert whitten to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Fielder
UKC Forum Member

A good short term fix is to dab petroleum jelly on the spots the flies are biting. I used that for years with good results.

Old Post 07-30-2012 04:58 PM
Steve Fielder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Fielder Visit Steve Fielder's homepage! Find more posts by Steve Fielder Add Steve Fielder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lakeland Kennel
Banned

Something similar to petroleum jelly would be just a little used oil. I have used it in a pinch.

I use dog dip and spray it on with a 1 gallon sprayer. Richy, you can buy gallon fly traps at Rural King or some other farm supply store. You just put some of the liquid in the trap and in a few days, you can catch a gallon of flies.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Old Post 07-30-2012 08:03 PM
Lakeland Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lakeland Kennel Click here to Send Lakeland Kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email Lakeland Kennel Find more posts by Lakeland Kennel Add Lakeland Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darwin barber
UKC Forum Member

when i was duck huntin and had labs dont know why but the flies would tear their ears up, i would use wheel bearing grease just a lil behind their ears, water proof and it did take care of the prob,

Old Post 08-01-2012 07:27 AM
darwin barber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darwin barber Click here to Send darwin barber a Private Message Click Here to Email darwin barber Find more posts by darwin barber Add darwin barber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

Have noticed fly's bad on my dogs ears the last couple years, but this year there doesn't seem to be any. Only thing I been doing different is giving my dogs DE in their feed every day. I read that besides keeping them worm free, it would pass through and keep flies down and aparently it does!

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 08-01-2012 07:55 AM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SCBluetickGal
UKC Forum Member

SWAT for horses is great, and Farnam also makes a roll-on product that I use on both my horses and dogs. Of course the Permethrin works well too!

CH'PR'Moss Blue Carolina Rain-Queen of Show, BBOA Zone 6 Championship
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH'PR' PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' Poison Whiskey CowgirlsDontCry
CH'PR' Bowers & O'Connor's Foxy Roxy
PoisonWhiskey SonOfTheSouth

Poison Whiskey Hello Darlin'-2013 AL State BMOS, AL State Hall of Fame King of Show

PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk

Coming Soon...
PoisonWhiskeyMaybeItWasMemphis
PoisonWhiskey Heart Like Mine
-------------------------
In loving memory...
CCH GRCH 'PR' Swampland Blue Gypsy-RIP sweet girl
'PR' Miller Time

Old Post 08-01-2012 05:52 PM
SCBluetickGal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SCBluetickGal Click here to Send SCBluetickGal a Private Message Click Here to Email SCBluetickGal Find more posts by SCBluetickGal Add SCBluetickGal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

TRI-TECH 14, GET IT AT TRACTOR SUPPLY, THE BEST FLY SPRAY YOU CAN GET, LAST FOR A WEEK OR TWO, GOT SUN SCREEN IN IT AND IT KILLS FLEAS AND DONT WASH OFF.

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 08-01-2012 06:48 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckshot
UKC Forum Member

I use the ear tags on collars for flies and ticks...............haven't seen it do any good for fleas.

I have a yellow lab that is about white now fixing to turn 12 years old that flies seem to be attracted to.....Use to have to use the Farnams Fly Off for him. Once I started using the ear tags, no fly issues.

Old Post 08-02-2012 08:21 PM
Buckshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckshot Click here to Send Buckshot a Private Message Click Here to Email Buckshot Find more posts by Buckshot Add Buckshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

DITTO, I USED TO USE THEM TO HELP WITH FLEAS AND TIC'S

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 08-02-2012 08:49 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maryk
UKC Forum Member

Glad to hear the ear tags are working for the better part of you for fly control. They can be very annoying. The petroleum jelly would be good too, nice and greasy they can't land.

Old Post 09-24-2012 07:34 PM
maryk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maryk Click Here to Email maryk Find more posts by maryk Add maryk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Smith
UKC Forum Member

Gardener's Lyme is what I use. Works great and is as cheap as it gets.

Old Post 09-24-2012 07:38 PM
Billy Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Smith Click here to Send Billy Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Billy Smith Add Billy Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maryk
UKC Forum Member

I take it that you can get it at a feed store or maybe Lowe's or Home Depot?

Old Post 09-24-2012 07:40 PM
Billy Smith
UKC Forum Member

Yes, I always get mine from the local Wal-Mart, but I don't know whether all carry it regularly.

Old Post 09-24-2012 07:49 PM
Billy Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Smith Click here to Send Billy Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Billy Smith Add Billy Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maryk
UKC Forum Member

Never thought about Walmart Thanks.

Old Post 09-24-2012 07:51 PM