UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > welping box
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

welping box

Im going to build a good welping box. if any body has built one they are proud of please post some pics. or share what features you have found to be handy. thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:59 AM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: welping box

quote:
Originally posted by rthompson
Im going to build a good welping box. if any body has built one they are proud of please post some pics. or share what features you have found to be handy. thanks.

I use a pool but the best whelping box I have saw was at a grey hound facility . Theirs was built in the floor in large open stalls probably 50 of them in there complete with heat and air and 100 yrd runs off each outside it was quite a place .
Square box with a 2x6 laid flat at 2x4 upright height around the entire perimeter and cut corner pieces this set up prevents female from smashing pups against sides . If it were mine I would build side walls tall enough to be safe with a heat lamp and a slanted roof with plenty if over hang and flip top lid on hinges or a side with hinged door big enough to be able to check out pups without trying to crawl in the smaller opening for female .

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-06-2015 04:09 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

It's nice if your kennel is beside a building so you can have the box inside. This makes it nice to go in the building and tend to the puppies if the weather is bad. It also offers double protection from the wind and ice buildup on top the house.
It's also nice if the top is either hinged to open or lifts off and out of the way. I wouldn't make the box itself too big, she has to be able to heat it up in there with her own body heat unless you plan on having it heated.
The only other thing I would say is that the best bedding I found was shredded paper.

Old Post 10-06-2015 04:25 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Using the kiddie pools is something I have never done but seen them used many times on here. I will be having a litter in a couple weeks and going to try the pool this time around.
How much danger in smashing a pup is there with a pool?

This weekend I cleaned out my 24x 32 Garage and have a 10' x 5' area fenced in with a door leading to an outside run. I think this will make life much easier on my and the pups.

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:57 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
va.b&t
UKC Forum Member

I use a pool also and it works pretty good.

pr Iowa import Deliela
grntch taylors black powder

Old Post 10-06-2015 03:09 PM
va.b&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for va.b&t Click here to Send va.b&t a Private Message Click Here to Email va.b&t Find more posts by va.b&t Add va.b&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
[B]Using the kiddie pools is something I have never done but seen them used many times on here. I will be having a litter in a couple weeks and going to try the pool this time around.
How much danger in smashing a pup is there with a pool
Bruce , I was trying to think of the last one that got smashed in the pool and I believe it was a litter I put a sergeant mother on to nurse the pups until I got tied of dealing with her and bottle fed them , that litter turned 4 this summer . I think the risk has been much lower w/ the round shape . Of course so females are just stupid and you would think they are trying to kill off the whole litter lol . I bring it into the bathroom for whelping and put a couple if old towels in that can be thrown away then disinfect when she's done . Usually keep them inside for 3 days or if weather is bad till their eyes open . Buy 2 rubber backed rugs one to have clean while the other is being washed . I like the pool because it's so easy to clean and portable . I have thought if I ever build an actual whelping box I would line the bottom with a rubber mat to make it easier to clean and keep the wood dry . Every kennel I have been in that raises pups it always smells like urine and the bottom of the boxes are always damp .

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-06-2015 05:11 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
Using the kiddie pools is something I have never done but seen them used many times on here. I will be having a litter in a couple weeks and going to try the pool this time around.

This weekend I cleaned out my 24x 32 Garage and have a 10' x 5' area fenced in with a door leading to an outside run. I think this will make life much easier on my and the pups.

My female just had a litter acouple months ago,,and I used a kiddy pool for the first time,I kept seeing post about everyone using them,so I thought I'd give it a try,,and I love it,,I cut out carpet to fit in the bottom,,and i cut spares,,that way every few days I would pull out old,,put in new,,and that gave me time to take old out and hose down and wash,,my next whelping will be in the pool also

Old Post 10-06-2015 05:37 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Thanks, Kiddie Pool it is.

Wipeout Lil Shine

Old Post 10-06-2015 06:00 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Bruce just build an open air whelping box with a pig rail. You will be happy with it.

something like this

https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...ltgaTx1FvUu0%3D

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 10-06-2015 09:11 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Reid
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE][i

I have seen the foam pool noodles attached to the inside of the kiddie pools before, to be used as bumpers. Seemed to work well.

Old Post 10-06-2015 09:35 PM
Rob Reid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Reid Click here to Send Rob Reid a Private Message Find more posts by Rob Reid Add Rob Reid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

I picked up a pool today for the whopping cost of $7.95 and I think I am going to try and get the noodles as thats a great idea.
I put the pool in the pen and threw her dog house pad in there so she might get use to it. Will swap out with some sheets tomorrow.

I was thinking about having Dan's cut me some 1000 weight nylon the exact size of the bottom and lay that in there and have a couple extras to swap out and clean. I was looking at the pros and cons. The nylon at first won't asorb much and give the mom time to clean. If she doesn't then the pee will soak in after a while. Change it every day or two and things should be OK. Any thoughts of the pups laying on the material the boot chaps are made out of?

Thanks for the info. You realize how much knowledge everyone on here collectively has?

Last edited by on 10-06-2015 at 10:11 PM

Old Post 10-06-2015 09:56 PM
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

I think the pool is great for spring and summer but these will b whelped in december and outside with no electric because i just dont want them near the house and there is no electric where the kennels are. Normally i would keep them close to the house but after seeing how my other half spoils these little turds thats not gonna happen any more.

Old Post 10-06-2015 11:20 PM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coch20
UKC Forum Member

Looks like a good idea, but maybe the noodles could be lowered a little to work properly. Here is mine, but I haven't had any pups in it yet as the female didn't take.

Northern Backwoods Kennels

Old Post 10-06-2015 11:57 PM
coch20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coch20 Click here to Send coch20 a Private Message Click Here to Email coch20 Find more posts by coch20 Add coch20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Guys thanks for the information on the pool. Been thinking about it a while and your information was great. The mom keeps balling the sheet up and moves it out of the way. lol

Old Post 10-11-2015 02:20 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Congrats on the nice litter Bruce she looks comfy in that pool .

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 10-11-2015 06:38 PM
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Guys thanks for the information on the pool. Been thinking about it a while and your information was great. The mom keeps balling the sheet up and moves it out of the way. lol

That's why I didn't use sheets,,I used some carpet I had laying around,,cut it in a circle same size as bottom of pool,,works perfect,,carpet stays in place

Old Post 10-11-2015 06:53 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:

That's why I didn't use sheets,,I used some carpet I had laying around,,cut it in a circle same size as bottom of pool,,works perfect,,carpet stays in place!.
Nice looking pups

Old Post 10-11-2015 06:54 PM
Bruce M. Conkey

I took the sheet out on the 3rd day and figured I would just wipe it out every evening. I haven't had to touch it the mother keeps it cleaner that it was when I purchased it. Thanks guy for the thoughts and ideas.

Old Post 10-17-2015 11:55 AM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Bruce if you rip up old news paper and toss it in the pool that helps clean up some also.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 10-18-2015 02:37 AM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

I love it the way it is. My only concern is with the female doing all the cleaning can it effect her health. She looks great for just having a litter but I want her back to hunting as soon as possible. Already going to miss the PKC world hunt with her next week but several hunts I want her in are coming up in December. This has been the most enjoyable litter I have raised so far. Mainly because the lack of effort it has taken on my part. I use to make pups dizzy swapping them around making sure all are getting their share of milk. Shine only has six but she lines them up and carefully lays down beside them and they are off to the races. lol The door leading to the outside kennel works great also. Shine is one of the few dogs I have had that when she uses the bathroom she uses it in the same spot every day. This week their eyes will come open and that is when cute starts. lol

Old Post 10-18-2015 04:00 PM