UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How do I make a living coon hunting?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
josh77
UKC Forum Member

How do I make a living coon hunting?

First off let me tell you that I hate my job! I repossess vehicles and it is no fun. I have been shot at and have had knives pulled on me while doing so but I can't get a new job that pays the same as what I make now and pay my bills. Everyone says to have a job that you love. So how do I make a living COON HUNTING?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-05-2015 08:52 PM
josh77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh77 Click here to Send josh77 a Private Message Find more posts by josh77 Add josh77 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

living

Ha-ha when you find out let us all know
I am gona be retiring in a few years so I guess I need a plan for the future

Ray Hudson

Old Post 10-05-2015 08:59 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

u can marry more in a minute than make in a lifetime. marry up or find money man to hunt and campaign dogs for. I wouldn't wanna coon hunt for living first off no matter how u do it not gonna pay great unless u fall into perfect situation. also doing it for living would eventually take fun away.

Old Post 10-05-2015 08:59 PM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike fleming
UKC Forum Member

You got a good chance to get shot at or knife pulled on you Coon hunting too crazy as people are now.

Old Post 10-05-2015 09:39 PM
mike fleming is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike fleming Click here to Send mike fleming a Private Message Find more posts by mike fleming Add mike fleming to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
moleman
UKC Forum Member

You never know

That is the truth they are some crazy and weird people out and about now days and a lot of them are out in the woods with you any more.

Old Post 10-05-2015 09:44 PM
moleman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for moleman Click here to Send moleman a Private Message Find more posts by moleman Add moleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh77
UKC Forum Member

Yea I know

I guess everyone gets tired of doing the same old job and I guess even coon hunting for a living would get old too. I guess I just wanted my own boring post on here to see what you folks would say. lol! I guess it's like the lottery, it don't cost anything to dream. lol!

Old Post 10-05-2015 10:54 PM
josh77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh77 Click here to Send josh77 a Private Message Find more posts by josh77 Add josh77 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I did it for a living for a while......it is not as great as it sounds

Old Post 10-05-2015 10:57 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

A friend started a coon training pen years ago. He loved coon hunting until it was his job. Said it lost it's fun REAL quick when you start doing it for a business.

John Wick said the same thing, you HAVE to go weather you feel like it or not.

Old Post 10-05-2015 11:00 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

I repossessed cars for several years... still do it for one account. Problem is, it cut into my hunting time! I definitely agree with you....

Old Post 10-05-2015 11:02 PM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

A friend of mine is the exterminator at the local university. He's completely quit hunting. Deer turkey coon bear. He quit it all after he got the dream job of hunting for a living.

Old Post 10-05-2015 11:43 PM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dchartt
UKC Forum Member

I always thought being a repo man would be awesome

Old Post 10-06-2015 04:06 AM
dchartt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dchartt Click here to Send dchartt a Private Message Click Here to Email dchartt Find more posts by dchartt Add dchartt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fox_91
UKC Forum Member

Not sure a money man to campaign a dog for would provide good insurance or retirement plan.... I got a family to worry about More than I worry about my personal interests. I hunt more than the average Joe, but still make it to work everyday because this is the real world. Lol

Old Post 10-06-2015 04:08 AM
fox_91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fox_91 Click here to Send fox_91 a Private Message Click Here to Email fox_91 Find more posts by fox_91 Add fox_91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Haha that's easy, you don't. Better of trying be fishing guide or chartering

Old Post 10-06-2015 08:42 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by fox_91
Not sure a money man to campaign a dog for would provide good insurance or retirement plan.... I got a family to worry about More than I worry about my personal interests. I hunt more than the average Joe, but still make it to work everyday because this is the real world. Lol

your exactly right!!! LOL.

Old Post 10-06-2015 08:42 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coondogforlife
UKC Forum Member

$$$$$$$

There is only one way that's comes to mind to me that truely u could make money and that is buy young dogs 6 to 8 months old at decent price hunt them 30 to 60 days and flip them u are going to half to be smart in your decisions do two young dogs at a time and always make sure you have two ready to work when next two are ready to sale it's not going to be a great living but that is only way I can think of .... And if one of the two dogs and worth Salen u no what to do with it cause u can't sale a dud to someone and get your reputation ruined.......by way of I was you I would stay repo man if I was you

Old Post 10-06-2015 12:42 PM
Coondogforlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coondogforlife Click here to Send Coondogforlife a Private Message Find more posts by Coondogforlife Add Coondogforlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Hunting, once you take it off the enjoyment shelf and put it on the "it pays my bill's" shelf. Takes on a different feel.

Instead of wanting to go hunting, you have to go hunting.
Instead of wanting to travel to a comp hunt, you have to travel to a comp hunt.
Instead of having a good time and laughing at the mistakes the dogs make, you have to be figure out how to stop them.
Instead of enjoying the fellowship of a comp hunt, you have to win that comp hunt.

Makes you look at coonhunting differently!!

Good Luck!

Lots of truth in the "you can marry more in a minute" thing.
Had a friend once that married a sweet older lady that had a lot of money. Several of us were hunting one night and asked him to be truthful about the fact that if her Father hadn't left her all that money would he still of married her.
He looked us straight in the eye and said he didn't care who left her the money, he would still marry her.

Last edited by on 10-06-2015 at 03:03 PM

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:45 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
[i]!

Lots of truth in the "you can marry more in a minute" thing.
Had a friend once that married a sweet older lady that had a lot of money. Several of us were hunting one night and asked him the be truthful about the fact that if her Father hadn't left her all that money would he still of married her.
He looked us straight in the eye and said he didn't care who left her the money, he would still marry her. [/B]
That is a funny story.

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:49 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huffman1988
UKC Forum Member

One way could be to try to open a sporting good store. One of my friends did this and travels to all the hunts and has been very successful with it. This isn't really coon hunting for a living, but its pretty close to it since you could take your store to all of the hunts.

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:53 PM
huffman1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huffman1988 Click here to Send huffman1988 a Private Message Find more posts by huffman1988 Add huffman1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Here's a way. Raise as many pups as you can and sell them for $5000 each, And kill every coon you tree and sell the hides for $1000 each. Good luck.

Old Post 10-06-2015 03:16 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Josh

Josh there are a lot of different aspects to this sport.
Select the one you like the most and fits your lifestyle and have fun. Anything can be done with hard work.

Old Post 10-06-2015 05:35 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Here's a way. Raise as many pups as you can and sell them for $5000 each, And kill every coon you tree and sell the hides for $1000 each. Good luck.

Hey!!!!!!!!!! You mean I been selling stuff for way too cheap????????????? I coulda been rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, it's simple...all ya gotta do is buy a bunch of rabbits and a wood lathe.
Here's what you do...collect all the rabbit pee and bottle it. Get some real neat lookin fancy labels that really catch everyones eye. Then sell it as coon scent, deer {or whatever other animal a dog will run} breaking scent, buck lure, bear lure, etc. You have to be creative and use words like "secret", "special", and "mountain"...that mountain one is the best.
As if that wont make you rich enough, you use the wood lathe to turn coon squallers, predator calls, coyote howlers, duck and deer calls, and that special deer one called the "wheeze, blow and puke"....they all make the exact same noise but that is no problem either because you go out and find 12 or 13 alcoholics to get on here and swear by everything you make.
Guaranteed almost overnight success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing either get some good disguises or buy a bullet proof vest. Look at the good side...the risks are not much different than being a repo man!!!!!!!

Old Post 10-06-2015 09:38 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

Id say the only people living off coonhunting are the guys selling equipment and im betting theres none of them getting rich.

The handlers who claim theyre hunting for a living arent taking insurance for their children, pension,401k;or retirement into consideration. Once theyre done hunting theyll have nothing. Ill stick to doing it for fun and might win a big hunt someday.

Old Post 10-06-2015 11:23 PM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I've never known of anyone that has become rich without a tremendous amount of work. Most people never see the work they did but just the results and that's the part we envy. The single most important thing to remember is practice is delayed gratification. Most people want stuff and want it now. So they go into debt. They can't save any money because they always want more than they can afford. They never learned the value of denying oneself. If they have one spare dollar, instead of saving it until they have two or more and buying something substantial, they spend the one dollar for some piece of something and then wait until they get another dollar to buy a piece of something else. Neither of the two things add up to anything.

Old Post 10-07-2015 12:41 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
As if that wont make you rich enough, you use the wood lathe to turn coon squallers, predator calls, coyote howlers, duck and deer calls, and that special deer one called the "wheeze, blow and puke"....they all make the exact same noise but that is no problem either because you go out and find 12 or 13 alcoholics to get on here and swear by everything you make.
Guaranteed almost overnight success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/B]

I wonder who that one is directed at?

You could try drilling holes in the ground all day, turn calls for two or three hours every night and on weekends, keep a dog in the top 10 of the state, and raise two small children.

Then when you do get some time you can get on here and see some idiot that couldn't find his rear end with both hands and a bloodhound trained for the job tell you how easy it all is.

Then you will be happy when you can actually go hunting.

Last edited by Josh Michaelis on 10-07-2015 at 12:55 AM

Old Post 10-07-2015 12:48 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
breezyoaks
UKC Forum Member

Re: How do I make a living coon hunting?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by josh77

JOSH...

MOVE TO WISCONSIN, THEN GET A JOB, THEN FAKE LIKE YA GOT HURT AND CLAIM WORKMANS COMP AND WORK IT TIL YOU CAN GET A DISABILITY PAYMENT....THEN PUT IN FOR FOOD STAMPS, THEY WILL SEND YA A CREDIT CARD WITH 600 DOLLARS A MONTH OR SO ON IT TO BUY FOOD AND BEER.
THEN GO COONIN EVERY NITE AND SLEEP ALL DAY....

THERES AT LEAST HALF DOZEN IN EVERY COUNTY WORKIN THIS PLAN TO PERFECTION....AND THEY ARE PICKIN MUSHROOMS AND SITTIN IN THE LANDOWNERS TREESTAND WHILE EVERYBODY ELSE IS PAYING UNCLE SAM.

SOUNDS FUNNY..BUT ITS TRUE.

GOOD LUCK.

Patrick Barrett

Old Post 10-07-2015 03:30 AM
breezyoaks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for breezyoaks Click here to Send breezyoaks a Private Message Click Here to Email breezyoaks Find more posts by breezyoaks Add breezyoaks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote