UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > couple of quick rules questions
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rance56
UKC Forum Member

couple of quick rules questions

3 dogs on cast, 2 are opening an struck in and moving to the left, other dog is moving to the right. dog going to right never barked never struck in. garmin shows he is getting close to road, non hunting judge makes cast call time out since dog that has never opened is getting close to danger. shouldnt he had to withdrawal since garmin was the only reason we knew where he was at?

same judge told me if dog gets struck within minute, regardless of what we thought he couldbt be minused for babbling an we had to wait for the 8 to catch him to minus the strike points?

please clarify for future reference.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-05-2015 07:43 PM
rance56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rance56 Click here to Send rance56 a Private Message Click Here to Email rance56 Find more posts by rance56 Add rance56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Judge was wrong on both calls.

Old Post 10-05-2015 08:11 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tbaker
UKC Forum Member

What ??

You have some good Judges

Old Post 10-05-2015 08:18 PM
Tbaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tbaker Click here to Send Tbaker a Private Message Click Here to Email Tbaker Find more posts by Tbaker Add Tbaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harry Middleton
UKC Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that the "non-hunting" judge can call timeout based on the garmin rule and in accordance with rule 7.
And the babbling rule is very difficult to enforce.

Old Post 10-05-2015 09:35 PM
Harry Middleton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Harry Middleton Click here to Send Harry Middleton a Private Message Find more posts by Harry Middleton Add Harry Middleton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: couple of quick rules questions

quote:
Originally posted by rance56
3 dogs on cast, 2 are opening an struck in and moving to the left, other dog is moving to the right. dog going to right never barked never struck in. garmin shows he is getting close to road, non hunting judge makes cast call time out since dog that has never opened is getting close to danger. shouldnt he had to withdrawal since garmin was the only reason we knew where he was at?

same judge told me if dog gets struck within minute, regardless of what we thought he couldbt be minused for babbling an we had to wait for the 8 to catch him to minus the strike points?

please clarify for future reference.

Stop and think about this for a minute. A handler, who's dog isn't even struck in on the scorecard, can stop the hunt, delete all the other dogs off the scorecard just by saying "my Garmin shows my dog headed for the road".
Not a chance. Report the judge.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 10-05-2015 10:55 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Danny Glista
UKC Forum Member

Jim

Any different with non hunting judge like stated in post?

Old Post 10-05-2015 11:12 PM
Danny Glista is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Danny Glista Click here to Send Danny Glista a Private Message Click Here to Email Danny Glista Find more posts by Danny Glista Add Danny Glista to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harry Middleton
UKC Forum Member

It doesn't say he has to be struck in. If a man showed me his garmin and the dog was nearing danger, he would get a timeout from me.
With a hunting judge it takes a vote to do it, or else your only other option is to withdraw your dog.

Old Post 10-05-2015 11:20 PM
Harry Middleton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Harry Middleton Click here to Send Harry Middleton a Private Message Find more posts by Harry Middleton Add Harry Middleton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FIRST_TREE88
UKC Forum Member

garmin

How about 3 dog cast 2 dogs not struck heading to the road 1 dog struck and goin other direction timeout was called is that not Garmin affecting the hunt?

Old Post 10-05-2015 11:42 PM
FIRST_TREE88 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FIRST_TREE88 Click here to Send FIRST_TREE88 a Private Message Find more posts by FIRST_TREE88 Add FIRST_TREE88 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Glista
Any different with non hunting judge like stated in post?

Hunting judge/ non-hunting judge, the judge cannot rule according to Garmin.

Think abut it, two dogs struck, trailing, setting up a tree.........STOP THA CLOCK, MY GARMIN SAYS MY DOG IS HEADED FOR THE ROAD!!! Time out. Delete everything.
Hunting judge/non-hunting judge, don't matter. We are taking a question back.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Last edited by JiM on 10-06-2015 at 12:09 AM

Old Post 10-06-2015 12:04 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harry Middleton
UKC Forum Member

telemetry rule
The addition of this rule to me hasn't changed any thing. The rule was made to allow handler to check the dogs location only. not call him out the woods or help you tree your dog ect...

RULE # 1. Under no circumstances may telemetry be used to determine the scoring of any dog(s).

RULE # 2. If by way of telemetry a handler deems dog to be in danger per an item outlined in Rule 7 they may ask for a cast vote to call time out. If a majority is not reached the handler may withdraw the dog and retrieve it for safety’s sake.

RULE # 3. At no time may a handler demand the cast walk in the direction of a hound that has not been heard opening. The judge, or majority of the cast when hunting judge is used, may agree to walk in that direction.

RULE # 4. When considering the use of telemetry during the hunt the handler may not interfere with any handler’s ability to listen for their hound. Handlers failing to heed to such a warning by the judge shall have their dog scratched from the cast.

RULE # 5. A Master of Hounds/ Panel may not consider any debate that is based on telemetry use.

Old Post 10-06-2015 12:22 AM
rance56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Harry Middleton
telemetry rule
The addition of this rule to me hasn't changed any thing. The rule was made to allow handler to check the dogs location only. not call him out the woods or help you tree your dog ect...

RULE # 1. Under no circumstances may telemetry be used to determine the scoring of any dog(s).

RULE # 2. If by way of telemetry a handler deems dog to be in danger per an item outlined in Rule 7 they may ask for a cast vote to call time out. If a majority is not reached the handler may withdraw the dog and retrieve it for safety’s sake.

RULE # 3. At no time may a handler demand the cast walk in the direction of a hound that has not been heard opening. The judge, or majority of the cast when hunting judge is used, may agree to walk in that direction.

RULE # 4. When considering the use of telemetry during the hunt the handler may not interfere with any handler’s ability to listen for their hound. Handlers failing to heed to such a warning by the judge shall have their dog scratched from the cast.

RULE # 5. A Master of Hounds/ Panel may not consider any debate that is based on telemetry use.

where does it adress a non hunting judge

Old Post 10-06-2015 12:24 AM
rance56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rance56 Click here to Send rance56 a Private Message Click Here to Email rance56 Find more posts by rance56 Add rance56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harry Middleton
UKC Forum Member

Rule 7 in the Nite Hunt Honor Rules.

Old Post 10-06-2015 12:28 AM
bgs2009
UKC Forum Member

I would call a time out. The time is always right to do what is right.

Old Post 10-06-2015 12:47 AM
bgs2009 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bgs2009 Click here to Send bgs2009 a Private Message Find more posts by bgs2009 Add bgs2009 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

It would of sucked had the one dog got caught and the other 2 get scratched for the hr. Guess Id question the call just incase.

Old Post 10-06-2015 01:24 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plastic
UKC Forum Member

Worse thing ever was allowing use of garmin in the hunts. Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate. Cheaters gonna cheat cheat cheat cheat cheat.

OUTLAWS HICKORY

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:21 AM
plastic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for plastic Click here to Send plastic a Private Message Find more posts by plastic Add plastic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

Just withdraw and get your dog its not a big deal.

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:30 AM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
It doesn't say he has to be struck in. If a man showed me his garmin and the dog was nearing danger, he would get a timeout from me.
With a hunting judge it takes a vote to do it, or else your only other option is to withdraw your dog.

"He" would get a timeout from you?????....you cannot call timeout for one dog while others are loose.
That said, if it's based on telemetry it appears that he can ask for a vote and if he fails to get majority his only option is to scratch his dog and go get him.
In your so called "telemetry rules" you posted, it doesn't reference a non-hunting judge, so it appears that the person with the dog heading for a road calls for a vote.
I vaguely remember this discussion before and IIRC Allen got involved because it was being interpreted incorrectly and as such could have been a real convenient excuse to call a time out when needed for other reasons.
As to the babbling dog in one minute...yes he can be minused for babbling in the first minute...but it doesn't surprise me the question was answered this way.

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:32 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Garmin or no Garmin if I am guiding your cast I am not going to put you were you or your dog even have a chance of being in danger !!

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:36 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

I dont think a ? would overturn a nonhunting judge on the timeout question, with a hunting judge the vote would probably go with the 2 handlers whos dogs were working a track but with a nonhunting judge there is no vote, weather you agree with it or not its his call. When it comes to saving a dog in danger i dont see a distinction between a dog being struck or not struck.
HOWEVER.. for all of us who have said you cant cheat with a garmin if you follow the rules, heres the way.
I would rather hunt under a weak hunting judge where you can call for a vote than a weak nonhunting judge where you cant.

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:42 AM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harry Middleton
UKC Forum Member

I'm just reading the rules as they are. Myself, I'd withdraw my and let everyone else hunt. Telemetry rules refer to rule 7 and rule 7 addresses hunting and non hunting judges. And I didn't say a dog couldn't be scratched for babbling, I only said it's hard to prove. msinc I've read many of your replies on these forums and agree with most of them. I think you have great knowledge of the rules. I try to be a gentleman and a good sport at the hunts. If someone wants to be the south end of a northbound donkey then I'll shake their hand at the end of my night and go on about my business. I could very well be wrong in what I'm reading, but it's the way I read it.

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:45 AM
msinc
Banned

quote:
I'm just reading the rules as they are. Myself, I'd withdraw my and let everyone else hunt. Telemetry rules refer to rule 7 and rule 7 addresses hunting and non hunting judges. And I didn't say a dog couldn't be scratched for babbling, I only said it's hard to prove. msinc I've read many of your replies on these forums and agree with most of them. I think you have great knowledge of the rules. I try to be a gentleman and a good sport at the hunts. If someone wants to be the south end of a northbound donkey then I'll shake their hand at the end of my night and go on about my business. I could very well be wrong in what I'm reading, but it's the way I read it.

I am reading the rules as they are too and I agree...this is a good question and I may be wrong as well...one thing about it, I guarantee you it wouldn't be the first time!!!! I quoted your post because that was 95 % of what I was commenting on. Yours had nothing to do with the babbler, I realize that. I was just trying to answer the original poster.
Like you, I too would simply withdraw my dog. I will take it one step further and say that if I really felt like my dog was in imminent danger I'd yell "scratch him" and take off running. If my dog is in danger there might not be time to debate a rule. $20.00 entry fee that I aint getting back anyway vs. the value of my dog {well most nights, just sayin'} Do the math...that's a simple one to figure out.
Further more, if I am in a hunt and anyone's dog appears to be in danger I don't care if mine is winning the entire hunt, I am willing to do whatever to save a dog. There will always be more chances to get in another hunt but a dog, any dog only has one life. Let him get hit by a car so I can keep some tree points???? Not me. Thanks a million for your nice comments about my knowledge, I don't hear that every day!!!!

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:59 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harry Middleton
UKC Forum Member

It's a friendly debate. And you are very welcome. Hope your weather up that way is getting good by now. We're a cool 64 right now. LOL. I can read the telemetry rules both ways in this one. If it's only by cast vote I think it should say "ONLY by cast vote, even with a non hunting judge". My hand is extended to you.

Old Post 10-06-2015 03:07 AM
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

The whole point of garmin use is so YOU can withdraw to save your hound. Now, you can ask the cast to call timeout, or a non-hunting judge, but good luck with that if ANYTHING is going on at that point in time.

As a non-hunting judge I wouldn't have allowed it with two dogs in a safe place and running a track. I would have said you can withdraw and take off but that's the best I can offer to all the handlers involved.

Old Post 10-06-2015 04:02 AM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
It's a friendly debate. And you are very welcome. Hope your weather up that way is getting good by now. We're a cool 64 right now. LOL. I can read the telemetry rules both ways in this one. If it's only by cast vote I think it should say "ONLY by cast vote, even with a non hunting judge". My hand is extended to you.

Thank you sir and it is shaken firmly...I agree this call could go either way. On the one hand is the safety of a dog or hunter, on the other is a written rule that could be interpreted the other way for lack of some much needed written clarity. I guess they write these rules but it is really impossible to cover all situations all the time.
Just like when I said you cant call time out for one dog...that would probably get the entire cast scratched, even though it seems like the best thing to do.
It just may turn out that Jim is right on this one, but I would like to hear what Allen has to say. I am still waiting on a ruling from before Autumn Oaks, he said he was busy and to remind him. When I get it back I will post it...kind of the same thing, some written stuff left out.

Old Post 10-06-2015 04:03 AM
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

I would say the judge can call time out for danger( why turn loose that close to the road)
? #2 a dog can be minused for babbling at any time and should be!

Old Post 10-06-2015 11:09 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote