UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thompson water seal
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chewy97
UKC Forum Member

Thompson water seal

I am building an off the ground kennel, I used treated lumber or the frame work and treated deck boards for the floor. Would using Thompson water seal for the floor be Beneficial or a waste of time and money. I'm not worried to much about the boards rotting away I am more concerned about the urine soaking into the boards and stinking.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-05-2015 12:19 AM
chewy97 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chewy97 Click here to Send chewy97 a Private Message Click Here to Email chewy97 Find more posts by chewy97 Add chewy97 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WalkerPower21
UKC Forum Member

Better seal it but you should wait a year before sealing let the moisture get out an get hounds out a week or so before an after you seal it

Old Post 10-05-2015 02:09 AM
WalkerPower21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WalkerPower21 Click here to Send WalkerPower21 a Private Message Find more posts by WalkerPower21 Add WalkerPower21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

If it says thompsons its gonna be good!

Old Post 10-05-2015 04:08 AM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Yup it helps, I would however if u can find some discounted or scrap, composite decking material for the floor.

Old Post 10-05-2015 08:07 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

not the same!

Thompson's water seal is not the same as it was.
Last year I bought 6 gallon of it-- is a milky looking stuff.had some of the older left from the year before that was the solvent based. it would soak in and last a good while. this milky looking junk just kinda coats the outside and is gone in about 3 months.
bought some of the clear waterproofing from Ace hardware that is very close to the old formula Thompsons..
it worked great so far.

Old Post 10-05-2015 12:55 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott Grogan
UKC Forum Member

The pro's will tell you to use Sikkens.

Old Post 10-05-2015 07:09 PM
Scott Grogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott Grogan Click here to Send Scott Grogan a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott Grogan Find more posts by Scott Grogan Add Scott Grogan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chewy97
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the good information in the spring I will seal it. It's getting a little late in the year to seal it now. It will take months for the wood to dry now.

Old Post 10-06-2015 12:23 AM
chewy97 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chewy97 Click here to Send chewy97 a Private Message Click Here to Email chewy97 Find more posts by chewy97 Add chewy97 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chewy97
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the good information in the spring I will seal it. It's getting a little late in the year to seal it now. It will take months for the wood to dry now.

Old Post 10-06-2015 12:24 AM
tobyj
UKC Forum Member

never had good results with thomsons yes sikkens top of line but i use porch n floor enamel paint on kennel floors seals the surface pressure washes like brand new easy to find at discounted price too

Old Post 10-06-2015 01:32 AM
tobyj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tobyj Click here to Send tobyj a Private Message Click Here to Email tobyj Find more posts by tobyj Add tobyj to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Sealer

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Grogan
The pro's will tell you to use Sikkens.

Years ago Thompson's was ok no longer true.

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 10-06-2015 03:48 AM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

Thompson's is trash. I build log cabins. We don't use it. Urine is terrible on wood. And with the price of stain any more at 50 bucks a gallon. And havin to do it every 2 years. It'd be cheaper, in the long run, and alot easier to clean if u just went and got azek composite deckin boards. at ur local lumber yard. I think its more expensive at lowes or home depot.

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Old Post 10-06-2015 04:07 AM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Snyder
UKC Forum Member

Build floor with scrap

And replace boards with scrap. No stain needed. Especially if you can find some old native lumber to cut your floor planks out of.

If you can find some old native stuff for scrap remember to keep a few spare saw blades handy and use two drills. One for pilot holes and one for driving screws.

I built my off ground 5 yrs ago with native and cut it down to 2x2's. It is still going strong with no need to replace any boards yet.

Old Post 10-08-2015 12:59 AM
Chris Snyder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Snyder Click here to Send Chris Snyder a Private Message Find more posts by Chris Snyder Add Chris Snyder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aspencer
UKC Forum Member

What to seal with/

Wood RX you can get it at home depo. I owned a fence company in Florida its what they use on docking in salt water far better than thompsons. put it on once and your done.

Old Post 10-08-2015 01:38 AM
aspencer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aspencer Click here to Send aspencer a Private Message Click Here to Email aspencer Find more posts by aspencer Add aspencer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

We use olympic. Beats sikkens

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
- 2016 Performance Sire
- 2017 Performance Sire

Old Post 10-08-2015 02:30 AM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerdogman85
UKC Forum Member

I used wood deck boards cut down and give them a coat of Bher Deck Over. I really like it but it is expensive! It doesn't soak up urine and easy to spray off. But then again the wood will have to be dry to put in on. If I ever build another kennel I'm going to use the composite boards.

Old Post 10-08-2015 07:08 PM
walkerdogman85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdogman85 Click here to Send walkerdogman85 a Private Message Visit walkerdogman85's homepage! Find more posts by walkerdogman85 Add walkerdogman85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Thompson anything is junk unless you want to re do it every year !! Sickkens is the best but your gonna pay for it !!! I built my log home and at 90$ a gallon the sickens has it looking brand new after 10 years !!! But it's a lot of work and really I don't think a kennel floor is worthy of using that high dollar stuff I believe I would either use composite or just screw pressure treated floor and Clorox it every other week and should be fine !!! Good luck a

Old Post 10-08-2015 10:45 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhosss
UKC Forum Member

AMISH Remedy

OLD MOTOR OIL WORKS GREAT RUB IN WITH RAG COST NOTHING.

Old Post 10-09-2015 01:26 PM
myhosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhosss Click here to Send myhosss a Private Message Find more posts by myhosss Add myhosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Re: not the same!

quote:
Originally posted by Driftwoodblue
Thompson's water seal is not the same as it was.
Last year I bought 6 gallon of it-- is a milky looking stuff.had some of the older left from the year before that was the solvent based. it would soak in and last a good while. this milky looking junk just kinda coats the outside and is gone in about 3 months.
bought some of the clear waterproofing from Ace hardware that is very close to the old formula Thompsons..
it worked great so far.

That sounds like it might have froze before. I like Thompson's. Also do concrete with Thompson's.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 10-09-2015 02:05 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Dont treat mine and they last

quote:
Originally posted by POTOMAC
Thompson anything is junk unless you want to re do it every year !! Sickkens is the best but your gonna pay for it !!! I built my log home and at 90$ a gallon the sickens has it looking brand new after 10 years !!! But it's a lot of work and really I don't think a kennel floor is worthy of using that high dollar stuff I believe I would either use composite or just screw pressure treated floor and Clorox it every other week and should be fine !!! Good luck a

X2!!!

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 10-09-2015 02:35 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

Olympic is better than the sickens by far for deckin

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
- 2016 Performance Sire
- 2017 Performance Sire

Old Post 10-09-2015 02:56 PM