UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Animal Clinic of Smithville (TN)
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
B McDaniel
UKC Forum Member

Animal Clinic of Smithville (TN)

Boys, I hope any of yall that may have went off what I said and moved your semen to Animal Clinic of Smithville will forgive me.

The move down there could not have went smoother and the cost was next to nothing, however, what Smithville has just made me aware of in the last two days after trying to get a breeding set up on a female that is 7 hrs from them is they have their own in house progesterone test and do not honor anyone else's - so the female must either be left there or taken back and forth over several days as you track them toward ovulation.

I have dealt with AI, progesterone testing, ovulation, LH surge and all this stuff for a long time and have never heard of anything like this.............................. boy I sure miss Dean Bitzel!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-19-2020 04:42 PM
B McDaniel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B McDaniel Click here to Send B McDaniel a Private Message Click Here to Email B McDaniel Visit B McDaniel's homepage! Find more posts by B McDaniel Add B McDaniel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Actually Dean had his own in house progesterone testing. He said that different labs gave different results so he would not rely on any outside lab results either. One of the most critical factors to getting good results from AI is proper timing of ovulation which requires reliable progesterone levels.

But you are right. We sure do miss Dean.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-19-2020 at 04:52 PM

Old Post 11-19-2020 04:48 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B McDaniel
UKC Forum Member

That is not true in the breedings he did for me. Have your local vet get them to a 5 and come a running was always how mine and his deals went....................

Old Post 11-19-2020 04:53 PM
B McDaniel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B McDaniel Click here to Send B McDaniel a Private Message Click Here to Email B McDaniel Visit B McDaniel's homepage! Find more posts by B McDaniel Add B McDaniel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Not sure how Smithville is set up but, a lot of the clinics will charge a flat fee on the testing. Whether they have to test twice or 10 times. If having the ai done there are they wanting to charge the normal boarding rate and charge for each progesterone test? If so I can understand those fees could cost more than the ai.

Old Post 11-19-2020 05:21 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B McDaniel
UKC Forum Member

johnny reb - not sure how that fee schedule would work at Smithville - more about the logistics - if you are 6-10 hrs away thats 12-20 hrs to get her there then come home - then 12-20 hrs to get her back and back home - that just aint gonna work for most folks.

Old Post 11-19-2020 05:44 PM
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

Got a female due to have pups off of Tequila Sunrise at any second. The breeding and everything involved with it was done right there in Smithville by Dr Burke.

Old Post 11-19-2020 09:44 PM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by B McDaniel
johnny reb - not sure how that fee schedule would work at Smithville - more about the logistics - if you are 6-10 hrs away thats 12-20 hrs to get her there then come home - then 12-20 hrs to get her back and back home - that just aint gonna work for most folks.

I seen where you said you were 6-7 hrs away. That is why i asked anout the boarding. Alot of places if you are having ai done will offer a discounted rate for boarding. Some will also discount the progesterone testing or charge a flat rate whether they do 1 test or 10. I would just ask those questions. I have not heard a bad word on the smithville clinc they apprently know what there doing good luck.

Old Post 11-19-2020 09:54 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Just talked to the vet in smithville. When having female ai d they charge $10 a day for boarding and $50 for each progesterone test. So not all doom and gloom those rates are reasonable. Take her drop her off pick her up when sone.

Old Post 11-19-2020 09:58 PM
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

That isn't bad at all. Vets here charge $130 for a progesterone test!

Old Post 11-19-2020 10:01 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KEVIN MOSES
UKC Forum Member

Pretty reasonable prices. I had one bred at volunteer veterinary in Knoxville a few months back. It was $70 for progesterone test and $20 per day boarding plus $450 for surgical insemination.

*NT.CH. MOSES' RUGGED RIDGE POACHER*

*GR.NT.CH. MOSES' PRETTYBOY POACHER*

*FCH CH GRNITECH SHATLEY LOBO*

http://www.poacherplotthounds.com/

Old Post 11-19-2020 10:38 PM
KEVIN MOSES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KEVIN MOSES Click here to Send KEVIN MOSES a Private Message Click Here to Email KEVIN MOSES Visit KEVIN MOSES's homepage! Find more posts by KEVIN MOSES Add KEVIN MOSES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B McDaniel
UKC Forum Member

Well glad to hear the costs of an extended stay there are reasonable - thanks for the info - as I said though the biggest challenge for me, and most folks would be the time involved in two trips there..............

Old Post 11-20-2020 11:33 AM