UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > All grand delima?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

All grand delima?

First of all I have always bred my dogs tight so I am not bashing anybody. But in the first stages of the building of the all grand pedigree were they used the same dog several times do you think it played a big part in the undersirable traits and health issues we have today ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2016 11:46 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

What health issues are you talking about?

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 02-07-2016 12:45 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

breed

Dang yadkintar your up early!!! Sure there is some good came out it! because there is some good females that was and is still being breed! talking REPRODUCERS male and female. breed those two and ya got something! the all grand ped! has some what ruined coon dogs! yes they will tree coon but not what most seasoned coon hunters would consider coon dogs. remember back yrs ago when the first all grand ped was brout forth! cant remember the dog tho! but I did try many! not my type I am a coonhunter first and competition second. if I cant take it alone and tree bunches it no coon dog to me. put with other dogs and they are like inbreed race horses!!not for me! unless they can do same alone as with dogs!! Did you hunt last nite!

Old Post 02-07-2016 12:49 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

breed

Yadkintar! not sure what you mean about breeding tight. line/inbreed. that I don't or never do. and my dogs are easy to train and easy to put a handle on. enough of that family breeding already in the blood lines. that was put in enough back yrs ago.jmo

Old Post 02-07-2016 12:56 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Jim thyroid problems,hip displacement both always been around but if you have a stud that carries it and you double up on it I think it makes it worse. One of our well known Oklahoma coonhunters had a big part of the the all grand start. Chewbach what I mean by tight is there is a certain dog that I like and when I make a cross I make sure he is on both sides of the pedigree for instance this last time I bred my female back to her grandpa the old blood this carries ( old Finley River ) quadrupled up a lot were late bloomers this pup is the same but getting better every time I take him but I know several all grands pedigrees that were made by useing the same dog multiple times to get it if there is a flaw it would put that gene so strong you can't breed it out jmo. Chewbach yes I am up early cutting up fish our Sunday school class is having a fish fry for the super bowl and I am the cook.

Old Post 02-07-2016 01:19 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

I can hear what your saying but I would like to see some pedigrees your talking about. I just looked at two dogs pedigrees I have here and one is a 4 gen all grand and one is a 3 gen all grand and I don't see the close breeding.

I will post the pkc papers as I don't have the UKC papers copied. I got Mongo about a year ago and I have his winnings up to around $7500 now. His only health issues is his ears are too short. the bird dog came out in him. He is hard headed but so am I.

Last edited by on 02-07-2016 at 01:22 PM

Old Post 02-07-2016 01:19 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce Harry was a double bred lipper dog I believe both pedigrees you shown carry lipper on the bottom I hunted dogs for the public when lipper was hot I was tuff back then but not tuff enough to ever double it lol but we didn't have the alpha back the either lol.

Old Post 02-07-2016 01:29 PM
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

I have been under the impression that hounds have very few health issues because they are bred for performance. Therefore the health issues show up and are more blatant then what they would be in a house dog, due to the strenuous and physical demands that are placed on our hounds.

I do agree though tight breeding can result in health issues.

Old Post 02-07-2016 04:12 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
I can hear what your saying but I would like to see some pedigrees your talking about. I just looked at two dogs pedigrees I have here and one is a 4 gen all grand and one is a 3 gen all grand and I don't see the close breeding.

I will post the pkc papers as I don't have the UKC papers copied. I got Mongo about a year ago and I have his winnings up to around $7500 now. His only health issues is his ears are too short. the bird dog came out in him. He is hard headed but so am I.

if you'd go back just a little further you'd see you got some dogs stacked up pretty heavy all good lines in my opinion but tighter than you think

Old Post 02-07-2016 04:52 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Like I said not bashing but when I made the cross that made my 8 yr old female there were only 3 pups 1 Grntch 2 grch ntchs I hunted and campaigned 2 of them all three have the same faults all 3 take to long to settle on a cold tree ( I am talking a coon most dogs can't smell ) all three are extremely hard to handle and hard headed and all three want to hunt on the leash you have to carry a switch to make them lead they're daddy was a pleasure to hunt had none of those faults so the last cross I took her back to her grandpa to try to get back to were I was witch is extremely tight but time will tell. Really it's just as tight as the all grand dogs so I might be looking for a complete outcross next time that's what I am asking when is it time to step out of bounds for a cross or two ?

Old Post 02-07-2016 05:17 PM
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Like I said not bashing but when I made the cross that made my 8 yr old female there were only 3 pups 1 Grntch 2 grch ntchs I hunted and campaigned 2 of them all three have the same faults all 3 take to long to settle on a cold tree ( I am talking a coon most dogs can't smell ) all three are extremely hard to handle and hard headed and all three want to hunt on the leash you have to carry a switch to make them lead they're daddy was a pleasure to hunt had none of those faults so the last cross I took her back to her grandpa to try to get back to were I was witch is extremely tight but time will tell. Really it's just as tight as the all grand dogs so I might be looking for a complete outcross next time that's what I am asking when is it time to step out of bounds for a cross or two ?

I'd say when you see to many compounded faults especially those that can't be corrected or when you're no longer satisfied with what you're producing

Old Post 02-07-2016 06:54 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr taylor
UKC Forum Member

if you look 6 generations and further back you will see the same stud that started the line top and bottom several times to different females and most he sired and the breeder would keep putting a stud back in as many times as they could to pure it up , all good breeders keep a close eye on the health of pups that have hit the ground and they tack action if health problems arise all though some health problems may not show up until 8 or so generations later and out of their control , some of the lines that are wound up tighter than a banger string will end up being bred by people without the knowledge of whats on the papers to he same line is where you see the bad pop up as in traits , health problems , etc , i think that coon hounds have more health problems than any of the other hunting dogs i have ever owned ..

Old Post 02-07-2016 07:00 PM
mr taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr taylor Click here to Send mr taylor a Private Message Find more posts by mr taylor Add mr taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote