UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog Box Removal
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

Dog Box Removal

I would like to see any devices or methods you use to remove your dog box from your truck. Mine seems to get heavier every year....

i know they used to make a roller type bench to "slide" them in/out. I've thought of a wench to lift them out.

Let's see your method of removal besides brute force!!

Thanks,
Hoosier

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2016 02:26 AM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

Old stainless or straight metal BBQ grill. The heavy duty kind that woulda been expensive new. Take all the grill apart your left with a solid table and heavy duty wheels. Most have a pair of steering wheels on 1 end, straight rollers on the other.

Works great for me, easy cheezy loading and unloading. Mine is near perfect height for my truck but I got a 1/2 ton Chevy. Fords and Dodges sit higher.

Old Post 02-07-2016 03:15 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Until I retired I used the crane on my company service truck. Lately I've been sliding it out onto an old home made dog box.

Old Post 02-07-2016 04:45 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldblueboy706
UKC Forum Member

I use pair of saw horses I made the same height as my tailgate. I keep a piece of plywood on it and just slide it out when I need the extra space.

Old Post 02-07-2016 06:19 AM
oldblueboy706 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldblueboy706 Click here to Send oldblueboy706 a Private Message Click Here to Email oldblueboy706 Find more posts by oldblueboy706 Add oldblueboy706 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BETHLEHEM BLUES
UKC Forum Member

Dog box

I measured the height of my tailgate when it was down, took 4x4's used them for the legs, measured the box, screwed 2x4's near the bottom then used 2x6 around the top letting them stick up 2 inches higher on 3 sides. The side that you don't put a 2x6 on is the front the overhang keeps it from going off the back or the sides, screw 2 2x4's in the opening where the box would slide into & mount 4 heavy duty coaster wheels on them, works like a charm. Only got 35- 40 dollars in it, my 13 year old son can load mine in & out of the truck no problem. If you keep your box in a garage when your not using it put coaster wheels on the bottom of the 4x4's then it's easy to move around

(RIP) Nt Ch HTX Uchtman first class Jack
(RIP) Gr Nite Ch Yeager’s Wild N Wonderful Ginger

Heikki Yeager (304) 905-3585

Old Post 02-07-2016 06:48 AM
BETHLEHEM BLUES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BETHLEHEM BLUES Click here to Send BETHLEHEM BLUES a Private Message Click Here to Email BETHLEHEM BLUES Find more posts by BETHLEHEM BLUES Add BETHLEHEM BLUES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog box

quote:
Originally posted by BETHLEHEM BLUES
I measured the height of my tailgate when it was down, took 4x4's used them for the legs, measured the box, screwed 2x4's near the bottom then used 2x6 around the top letting them stick up 2 inches higher on 3 sides. The side that you don't put a 2x6 on is the front the overhang keeps it from going off the back or the sides, screw 2 2x4's in the opening where the box would slide into & mount 4 heavy duty coaster wheels on them, works like a charm. Only got 35- 40 dollars in it, my 13 year old son can load mine in & out of the truck no problem. If you keep your box in a garage when your not using it put coaster wheels on the bottom of the 4x4's then it's easy to move around

I did the same as BLUES, used the four 4X4 treated posts with coasters, but to keep it lighter I used 5/4 decking boards to frame in the four legs to accommodate the size of my box. Then I found an aluminum section of conveyor you know the kind with lots of little wheels they use on loading docks to unload smaller boxed goods, cut two sections to fit on top of the frame, and only put a stop board on the back also made of 5/4 decking. All the wood was treated and left over from a deck project. I can take a picture if you want. Only trouble is I made it to fit height wise up to my Ford Ranger truck, now drive a Chevy Silverado but still have no problem with the 4 inch height difference. I also sold my old heavy Mullins box and got a bigger lighter aluminum box.

I also saw someone posted they make a metal tubular formed one they sell with adjustable height legs with wheels have the rolling tubes on the top and powder coated. Advertised it years ago haven't seen any lately. Was pricey.

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Last edited by Doug Robinson on 02-07-2016 at 01:45 PM

Old Post 02-07-2016 01:41 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

box

I have a 3-point lift for tractor spray tank holder! has 4 legs. took tank off sit by garage and slide box out on it!! and it want move.

Old Post 02-07-2016 01:51 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr taylor
UKC Forum Member

i have a deck at my kennel where i slide my box in and out of the truck , before the deck i used a 4 pulley hoist to raise the box out of the bed and i put a eye bolt in the center of box to hook the hoist to ..

Old Post 02-07-2016 05:04 PM
mr taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr taylor Click here to Send mr taylor a Private Message Find more posts by mr taylor Add mr taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonhunter, MO
UKC Forum Member

unloading dog box

My dad for years said the same thing, that it gets heavier each time so he came up with the old block and rope pully then he put a S hook on a solid cable inclosed in plastic and you hook it to the handles on side of box and pull rope and lift it up then then pull truck out from under box, My dad gave me his box and the pully when he was done hunting, so we put this in my barn and this is what I use.

Old Post 02-07-2016 08:01 PM
coonhunter, MO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter, MO Click here to Send coonhunter, MO a Private Message Find more posts by coonhunter, MO Add coonhunter, MO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I have one truck dedicated to hunting so I never take the box out. My friend using an A frame from a swing set and a whench connected to four short ropes and ratches it up and drive off.

Old Post 02-08-2016 12:35 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mudcreek
UKC Forum Member

They put new power lines in a couple of years ago and they left me some big wire spools, up on end they sit almost even with the tailgate when dropped on my truck. I have a place in the barn where I can leave it when I need to have box out.

Old Post 02-08-2016 04:41 PM
mudcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mudcreek Click here to Send mudcreek a Private Message Visit mudcreek's homepage! Find more posts by mudcreek Add mudcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

I built a set of sawhorses the height of my tailgate. I laid 8-10 pieces of scrap trex (or comparable) slick side up across them and screwed the to the horses to make it solid. The trex is very slick and my custom made box slides off and on easily.

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Old Post 02-08-2016 04:52 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

i like my light carrying crates. sure aren't fancy but their only about 5 or 10 lbs and easy on me and the dogs never complain.

Old Post 02-08-2016 06:13 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ed robertson
UKC Forum Member

i use my son in law shoud be good for another 10 to 15 years.

Old Post 02-08-2016 09:38 PM
ed robertson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ed robertson Click here to Send ed robertson a Private Message Find more posts by ed robertson Add ed robertson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

Get a picnic table close to the same height as the truck get 2 old broom handles and simply roll the box out on the broom handle.(i mounted 2wheels on one end of the table so i could push it to the truck.

Old Post 02-08-2016 11:27 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoke
UKC Forum Member

Mine never comes out

Old Post 02-08-2016 11:43 PM
Smoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smoke Click here to Send Smoke a Private Message Find more posts by Smoke Add Smoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote