UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Is it possible to hunt a dog too much?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Is it possible to hunt a dog too much?

Or do think it just depends on the dog. Not talking competition hunting just hunting night after night. Do you think a dog will burn out?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-28-2019 09:03 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Yes Sir

With these pups starting at younger age, it has become real easy to burn one out before they are 2 yrs. old. Seems like the better they are doing, the harder everyone wants to put them in woods & especially hunts. It depends on maturity of each pup to determine if it can take hunting 5-7 nights a week or if 3 or 4 would be a lot better & easier on pup.

Heck, some of these dogs (pups) have more time in the woods, even hunts, by the time they end their SS carrier than dogs used to ever hunt their whole lives 20-50 yrs. ago. Have seen several in my area that looked GREAT @ 2, but seem to have back slid in last 2 years & not looked near as good on casts anymore. If you got a good one coming on, give it time in the woods, but don't over do it, they need a little time to grow up & mature, too. JMO. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 10-28-2019 09:27 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Was thinking along the lines of a grown trained dog maybe 4 or 5 yrs.old, can you hunt him till he burns out or does he love it as much as the handler?

Old Post 10-28-2019 09:36 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Sorry bout that

But to me, NO, about older dog. Hunt it as much as possible, especially if it is already in good shape. It should tell you, if it is 'running out of gas' by not hunting (firing off), when it is turned loose. Extra care may be needed to keep in top condition, so if it starts to lose condition on body, feed it more or back off the hunting time per night. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 10-28-2019 09:52 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

That sounds reasonable to me and I have found that the best dogs love it and have a desire to please. Thanks for the response.

Old Post 10-28-2019 10:09 PM
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Most people will never over hunt a dog, BUT most dogs do have a limit on how much they can hunt before their body can't take it. Watch your dog and most will tell you when they are ready to quit.

Old Post 10-29-2019 04:59 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

We used to hunt from dark until daylight when we were on hunting trips and I have seen some pretty tired dogs after a week of hard hunting like that. Never seen them to tired to hunt when it got dark, can't say the same about myself. Lol..My hunting partner still hunts 6 nights a week for 3 to 4 hours a night ( age 81) , dogs just gets tougher the more you hunt, but a dog out of condition will wear down quicker, but they recover pretty fast. I don't think we can over hunt them, they will let you know when to much is to much. Dave

Old Post 10-29-2019 12:06 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChrisS22
UKC Forum Member

IMO it depends on the dog but typically yes. The worlds BEST athletes train at most 3-4 hrs a day, and not all that is high intensity training. I consider hunting a dog high intensity training.

You might have a hard time wearing one down hunting it on foot but factor in a four wheeler or a mule and you can make one not want to come out of the dog box.

Old Post 10-29-2019 07:23 PM
ChrisS22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisS22 Click here to Send ChrisS22 a Private Message Click Here to Email ChrisS22 Find more posts by ChrisS22 Add ChrisS22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I think a lot depends on the dog and how much physical drain you are putting on him/her. If just coon hunting across much of the typical coon country for a couple hours a day, maybe not. If you are lion hunting in rugged mountain country, you can hunt a dog with a lot of drive until he/she cannot go. I loaned a hound to a buddy in NM and he lion hunted him 21 days in a row. He was the only dog that was still going. When I picked him up, I barely recognized him as he was skin and bones. Not sure if he would have stopped hunting before he died or not but the cold wind was blowing through him and I am sure he was not far from getting pneumonia.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 10-29-2019 08:19 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

They aren’t machines so it is possible to hunt a dog too much...I cannot say I have done it much less have the hunting opportunity to even hunt often enough to over hunt my dogs...they can get sore from not being in shape and going all out on track and bay...but it is not the same as what the question is...

My thoughts are that a dog could get over hunted and given three or 4 days off you will probably see a top level performance above what you would normally see from said dog...

Old Post 10-30-2019 12:08 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Is it possible to hunt a dog too much?

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Or do think it just depends on the dog. Not talking competition hunting just hunting night after night. Do you think a dog will burn out?

Yes, if your not feeding a "premiun" feed with the right nutrition then yes..your dog will "burn out" it's reserves.... quickly. 8-10 hours of recovery w/right feed will condition a pleasure coondog to go the pleasure hunt distance .. .. usually hunting 1.5 to 3 hours per nite.

Old Post 10-30-2019 01:14 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
Most people will never over hunt a dog, BUT most dogs do have a limit on how much they can hunt before their body can't take it. Watch your dog and most will tell you when they are ready to quit.

I agree. They will start making mistakes that they wouldn't have made the week before. I'm talking about 6 nights a week 6 hours a night. If you're paying attention they'll tell you when to back off.

Old Post 10-30-2019 01:40 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

The more the better!😁

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 10-30-2019 05:53 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

A little off topic, but I had a super smart young gyp several years back that if you went to get her out of her kennel at dark she was ready to go, if I went to get her a half hour earlier in the daylight I had to drag out of her kennel. I had been running the hunts with her and the only thing I can think she associated the difference between competition and pleasure hunting.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 11-02-2019 11:26 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Lol .
Yes yes yes . I'm without a 4 wheeler at the moment but have one getting rebuilt. I hunt dogs for other people and learned they back up if hunted too hard. I can push one way too hard on a four wheeler if they have the drive. It's better to hunt smart than hard especially with a young dog.

Old Post 11-02-2019 03:38 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

It's possible to hunt one too much, but not many people with a full time job can do it.

Old Post 11-03-2019 01:47 AM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald

I just wish that I was young enough and in good enough shape to say that I actually hunter one to hard or to much. I agree that someone who just hunts for pleasure and has a job can not overhunt a dog if the dogs in good health. We used to hunt 6 nights a week and once the dogs got into shape, we could not hunt them down. They were way tougher than any man I have ever seen, that's just my 2cents on this subject. Dave

Old Post 11-03-2019 01:39 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I've done it.
Nowdays when I'm hunting at all I do good to hunt a couple/three nights a week, but there were years in the late 90's and early 00's that I hunted in the neighborhood of 300 nights a year. In my youth and inexperience I equated quantity with quality, and ruined more than a couple young dogs hunting 20-30 nights in a row in extreme heat or in the dead of winter. I went a little nuts for a couple years, and would hunt alot in daylight, then load up and hunt till the wee hours and find a way to drag into school the next day. My folks suspected I had a drug problem due to the haggard appearance and significant weight loss. I was convinced that I could really make a dog by hunting harder than anyone anywhere.
Most wouldn't quit outright, but they would backslide and do stupid stuff, or get lazy. One stopped doing anything at all.

Old Post 11-03-2019 03:01 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Some dogs just have more heart 💓 than others do and I don't believe you can hunt them down, but I also believe they're the exception not the norm.

Old Post 11-03-2019 01:42 PM