UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Trashy pups...
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

A pup/ young dog takes off on a hot deer track, runs it for a mile and quits and most cases never runs another. that dog is missing something that if he had he would finish out to be a better dog jmo

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-17-2017 12:25 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Joey and others that are in agreement with him understand what I am saying...I never said that that is the only type of pup that will make a hunting dog...

If all else is the same except for what is listed below...

if I had to choose between 2 pups at 6 months of age and one was chasing , treeing and baying all kinds of game, and the other pup didn't show much interest in any type of game...and the reason I was told is that the pup comes from a slow starting line but he should start at around a year but before 18 months...for me it is any easy choice to make...and I think most anyone else would pick the same pup I would...

Old Post 08-17-2017 12:30 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Sleepy I know sombody is going to call bs but these dogs I got need very little trash correction its bred in them but they ain't lacking heart I invite anybody to come down here and follow this 10 yr old female in these bottoms for a couple hrs you would have a different opinion about heart and having to be junky to have it.

Old Post 08-17-2017 12:31 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Sleepy I know sombody is going to call bs but these dogs I got need very little trash correction its bred in them but they ain't lacking heart I invite anybody to come down here and follow this 10 yr old female in these bottoms for a couple hrs you would have a different opinion about heart and having to be junky to have it.

No i wouldn't bc got natural straight dogs here.

Old Post 08-17-2017 12:34 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Ruben can you give me an example of any line that doesnt start until they are 12 to 18 months of age. I thought in this day and age they didnt exist. Some dont settle down till about 18 months of age but they started and hunted hard and chased alot of coon long before then.

Old Post 08-17-2017 12:51 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Some dogs are trashy and will always be trashy unless you break them from every thing that leaves a scent. They also produce trashy pups. I'll take dogs from a line that think coons are the spice of life. There are plenty of track driving lines that are easy to trash break.

Old Post 08-17-2017 12:56 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Ruben can you give me an example of any line that doesnt start until they are 12 to 18 months of age. I thought in this day and age they didnt exist. Some dont settle down till about 18 months of age but they started and hunted hard and chased alot of coon long before then.

I think any line that didn't start till 12-18 months would go extinct fairly fast.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 08-17-2017 01:47 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
So the concensus here seems to be you are less likely to get high levels of drive and run to catch desire without the trashing. Interesting.

No they normally don't have and never will have a lot of drive. Its not the case with all of them but it is with a lot of them. Its really kind of a moot point anyway 1/2 the people out there either don't know or want admit that there dog is running junk anyway. I have made people mad before but I tend to let people know what I think the dogs are doing if it is mine yours or anyone else. Mine isn't perfect and I will accuse them of something in hart beat. I was on a cast a few months ago and the dogs ran some kind of fast game. 5 minuets into the race I accused them of running junk. Mine included, a guy on the cast got fighting mad and said his dog never runs junk. 1.5 miles and 2 sections of woods later the track broke down and they got treed with a coon. That guy was convinced those dogs ran a coon over there.

This is all just my point of view, I would bet that I like a dog that floats a lot more to the wild side than you would like. I'm not satisfied with a dog that just trees coons, no matter how many it gets boring to me. I like a wild one that I can break to be strait, one that screams a track in there, runs off and leaves the other dogs and slams a tree with authority. You don't normally see that out of dogs that are born mostly trash free. They are a little to laid back for my taste.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-17-2017 04:02 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I ain't never had one that treed coons one after anouther and I didn't have to wonder if it was running junk or not that was boring but that's just me.

Old Post 08-17-2017 12:31 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
No they normally don't have and never will have a lot of drive. Its not the case with all of them but it is with a lot of them. Its really kind of a moot point anyway 1/2 the people out there either don't know or want admit that there dog is running junk anyway. I have made people mad before but I tend to let people know what I think the dogs are doing if it is mine yours or anyone else. Mine isn't perfect and I will accuse them of something in hart beat. I was on a cast a few months ago and the dogs ran some kind of fast game. 5 minuets into the race I accused them of running junk. Mine included, a guy on the cast got fighting mad and said his dog never runs junk. 1.5 miles and 2 sections of woods later the track broke down and they got treed with a coon. That guy was convinced those dogs ran a coon over there.

This is all just my point of view, I would bet that I like a dog that floats a lot more to the wild side than you would like. I'm not satisfied with a dog that just trees coons, no matter how many it gets boring to me. I like a wild one that I can break to be strait, one that screams a track in there, runs off and leaves the other dogs and slams a tree with authority. You don't normally see that out of dogs that are born mostly trash free. They are a little to laid back for my taste.

Anybody that thinks a coon can out run a dog for 2 hrs red hot will never understand what is going on!

Old Post 08-17-2017 01:33 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

i have never saw a trashy pup that could push a deer track or any other critter it got after miss tree on 30 % of the tracks it finishes . tree dogs are a dime a dozen . trailing running type hounds are hard to find these days .i can bend a trashy pup to my will with time . a dog that misses a lot at a young age will do it all its life . i dont like to guess does he have him walking to a tree . cut every tree limb in the woods sending them on to hope they get lucky on the next one . i hound that runs a deer now and then that falls treed off it with 2 looking down i can live with . lol

Old Post 08-18-2017 12:34 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
i have never saw a trashy pup that could push a deer track or any other critter it got after miss tree on 30 % of the tracks it finishes . tree dogs are a dime a dozen . trailing running type hounds are hard to find these days .i can bend a trashy pup to my will with time . a dog that misses a lot at a young age will do it all its life . i dont like to guess does he have him walking to a tree . cut every tree limb in the woods sending them on to hope they get lucky on the next one . i hound that runs a deer now and then that falls treed off it with 2 looking down i can live with . lol

Yup

Old Post 08-18-2017 01:27 AM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
I have one that does that now ! he thout I didn't know what he was doing !! but he is starting to under stand now I know !! cause he does it dang quick !!lol

Old Post 08-18-2017 01:54 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
I have one that does that now ! he thout I didn't know what he was doing !! but he is starting to under stand now I know !! cause he does it dang quick !!lol
hes gets hooked !!

Old Post 08-18-2017 01:55 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
hes gets hooked !!
i like to just keep knocking coon down to the trashy ones . the trash races slow down on there own if the coon are moving. i learned years ago to tread lightly on the breaking with the shock collar . the shock collar just gave the impression the dog was broke . in truth all they did when they run a deer is just go silent on trail till they switched over . lol might as well just enjoy the music . on a bad night no coons stirring in a cast those strike points can sure come in handy .lol

Old Post 08-18-2017 03:24 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

Bruce...I exaggerated just to make a point...but to answer your question I do not know many coon hunters or their hounds...and it seems that you guys as a whole on this coon dog site are quite knowledgeable and I really enjoy reading everyone's point of view...

It seems to me that the coon dog world in general has a higher level hunting dog knowledge...

The hog dog world in general tends to have more new doggers are new to dogs are are interest more in hog catching numbers than in the hunting dog...so I will leave it at that...

I really enjoy all the different opinions and thought processes...

Old Post 08-18-2017 03:52 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

i haven't had a fast game dog in years but there is plenty of slow moving trash out there. most pups are trashy ! when starting a pup best thing that can happen is sniff a porkies butt and get slapped in the face problem solved ! most coon hunters think the first thing to do is get pup in on a kill. now that young dog has helped kill it thinks it can kill every thing it can catch. making all trash eye appealing ! as i stated i haven't had a fast game runner in years. i do precondition them to ignore deer. with this simple method i load pup into wire kennel on my buggy pull leash up thru so i got a hold of it and go for a ride thru herd of deer as pup gets excited so do i. after a few trips pup will look the other way or pay's no attention. i'm to **** old to be chasing deer runners ! i'm a 4th generation coon hunter and in my opinion e collars don't train dogs !
they just stop bad behavior. most dogs are smart enough to know you can't use them at hunts. it only takes one time and the dog will always be trashy at hunts when coon aren't stirring. seen it many many times i consider these dogs junk !

Old Post 08-18-2017 05:46 AM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Reuben, I think the Bird Dog world is far ahead of the coon hound world. Mainly because of the personal interaction with the dog. I have a friend that has Hog Dogs that are trained to perfection and make many a coon hound look silly in the way they handle. I think the honest bottom line in the Dog World is the person behind the dog and most hounds/curs of any type are a lot smarter than we give them credit for and most are not trained close to there ability.
I do think a lot of Coon Hunters relay more on the natural ability of their hounds and just accept what the dogs brings to the table. Thats a good way to look at it, but when you do you have to be responsible to eliminate the ones that don't have that natural ability. Just look at all the negativity from the guys on here about dogs being trained to be alone, deep and even allowing them to run trash and falling off on a coon. All this to win a hunt. lol Again Coon Hounds bring a lot to the table and when they get in the hands of someone that also brings skill in handling a dog to the table. The feast is on!

Old Post 08-18-2017 12:57 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Ive always figured if the pup can't run a stinky deer than you'd better be worried. My only issue with them running trash is if you can't break them once they know what they are supposed to running. For me If they won't give up trash they are gone.

But yes i like gamey pups to start with.

Old Post 08-18-2017 03:05 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

I should add that it also ticks me off when guys don't bother breaking their dogs off trash. I hate a guys dog getting out of town on a deer and then falling treed and the guy standing there bragging how far his dog ranges. Or if they open on trash and the guy calls the dog struck. Ill tell it right to there face bullsh!t. Im talking pleasure hunting.

Got a friend right now with a year old dog that is literally barking on the dog tracks ahead of it. He denied it for the longest time and kept telling me that dogs got a better nose. Until we set the dog up last time out. I cut a dog out and let it get a few hundred yards out then we let that 1 year old out and it hit the dog track and started barking. Gotcha!!

Old Post 08-18-2017 03:10 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by firebird
I should add that it also ticks me off when guys don't bother breaking their dogs off trash. I hate a guys dog getting out of town on a deer and then falling treed and the guy standing there bragging how far his dog ranges. Or if they open on trash and the guy calls the dog struck. Ill tell it right to there face bullsh!t. Im talking pleasure hunting.

Got a friend right now with a year old dog that is literally barking on the dog tracks ahead of it. He denied it for the longest time and kept telling me that dogs got a better nose. Until we set the dog up last time out. I cut a dog out and let it get a few hundred yards out then we let that 1 year old out and it hit the dog track and started barking. Gotcha!!

the garmin has taught me a lot about trash races . got a 15 month old that his never be corrected for deer that opens good on the track . 4 year old that most hunters would say is broke is in the race running silent . lol

Old Post 08-19-2017 03:12 AM
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S.Davis
U WD be suprised on how many dogs run deer then fall off on coon.or run a deer without barking a bark on track [/QUOTE And the owner had no clue.

Old Post 08-19-2017 05:45 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

u WD be surprised at how many of them big money,truck winners are running trash. Hunted in pro hunt late rd one time and ole national big money struck first and my hound fell in there with him bellering every breath. Big money rolled up treed after about 400 yrds, and mine bellered treed about 100 yrds further down. Got to his tree and I went to mine,he had quarry on ground dead baying it,every breath. I got minus both ways. Ole lighting big money got circle on a slick,ole well. Anyway they seen what real speed was anyway

Old Post 08-20-2017 01:35 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

400 yard possum ? Man they must have hi octane racen possums up there lol.

Old Post 08-20-2017 01:47 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by swamp1
u WD be surprised at how many of them big money,truck winners are running trash. Hunted in pro hunt late rd one time and ole national big money struck first and my hound fell in there with him bellering every breath. Big money rolled up treed after about 400 yrds, and mine bellered treed about 100 yrds further down. Got to his tree and I went to mine,he had quarry on ground dead baying it,every breath. I got minus both ways. Ole lighting big money got circle on a slick,ole well. Anyway they seen what real speed was anyway
humm they strike just out of sight . go 1 mile or more barking every breath till they bush wack a coon . not running anything at all .the rule saying they have to take a track out or get - points has created the next generation of the stop barking babbler . first one i ever drew in a hunt had over 5 k won early in the year .lol

Old Post 08-20-2017 02:32 AM