UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > UKC Hunt Attendance
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Slim shady
Unfortunately it's just a dying sport...

X2

$$Deer hunting$$ is slowly killing coon hunting.

Don't help Youth are lazy.IF they could hunt off their Garmin from Home,truck or bar and Face time or text their calls it would be a booming sport

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-15-2017 04:26 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

What effect does it have on pleasure hunting? Do you fellas that are having problems at clubs volunteer there or hold officer spots?

Old Post 08-15-2017 11:41 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Attendance

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Maybe that is the answer. Everyone should go out and find an aggresive, competitive young man and pay him to handle their dog. I wonder how many paid handlers will be at Autumn Oaks? I know that I had to hire Jared to handle my dog. He isn't very aggressive but he can be competitive. And he is all that I could afford.

I wouldn't charge anyone a dime to handle a hound if I didn't have a hound ready. I dont right now. I could never figure that one out. I'm sure if I ever won the owner would take care of me. But wouldn't expect it. But then again I have a job and thats what provides for my family.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 08-16-2017 12:33 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
Mini slam option should extend into week night hunts with 1 hour time limits. I know for me, I am not hunting a money hunt to win a title. eliminate title earnings from week night hunts, or come up with something other than the current method for earning such.

It has been proposed with numerous options in the past. The super slams are nice, but most people that work for a living are not going to pay a high entry fee around here, unless they have a way above average hound, which most paid way to much for. You won't find 16 to fill a hunt from this area. Even the $150 entry probably won't fill. A 50-100 will come far closer to filling than any other, and with a 1 hour week night category, it would work much better in this area. JMO, but a well educated one!! Some will say if you want that, hunt one of the other KC's, and they do have programs that allows for it, but the rules and procedures seem to get in the way of folks enjoying the hunt they paid to enter. Every time we hold a @KC hunt, Folks come back mad because someone wanted to scratch them right off the bat about something silly. And to think that a panel can go back to the woods, even hours after the tree was questioned, and a determination on whether or nor someone was right or wrong, and possibly bar a handler? Well folks, it gets hot down in Georgia, and that @KC rule proves someone has been in the sun way to long.
UKC prides itself in giving hunters what they want, and in helping clubs survive as well. Give them week night 1 hour hunts with whatever titling program they desire, and it will help us all. Clubs, Hunters, and UKC...again, JMO.

why eliminate titles earned from week day hunts . People need to realize that most of the country's work force works 12 hour rotating shifts with only a couple weekends per month off . Attendance is down due to most of the country is working on the weekend . Adapt to the market and bring in weekday hunts . weekday mini slams with a cash payout and an opportunity to earn titles

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 08-16-2017 02:10 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Gray
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Slim shady
Unfortunately it's just a dying sport...

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!

Old Post 08-16-2017 02:54 PM
Brian Gray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Gray Click here to Send Brian Gray a Private Message Find more posts by Brian Gray Add Brian Gray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Loss of land plays a big part in the amount of coonhunting you can do. Overall here in FL I think there is more coonhunting and more interest in competition coonhunting than there ever has been.
I know one area which is the Scottsmore/Edgewater area that has had a strong following of coon hunters for years. Their hunting land being turned into housing tracts which is really hurting them and I feel bad about that for them. We had one of the little dreaded week nights hunts here last Thursday and our local guys were all tied up. I was wondering if we were going to have a hunt. We ended up with 6 dogs and two guys came from about an hour and a half from the north. One guy 90 miles from the south and two guys 60 miles from the west. I was surprised to say the least but glad to see them here. Conditions are not good right now and both cast killed snakes and were chest deep in water. One cast was won by a young lady who was with her Father and had a nice bone collector female. We might not be smart down here but we are tough! Just Thankful for what we have and hope it will be around a while. All we can do is our part in making people feel welcome at the hunts and try to put them in hunting conditions that have coon.

Old Post 08-16-2017 03:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Loss of land plays a big part in the amount of coonhunting you can do. Overall here in FL I think there is more coonhunting and more interest in competition coonhunting than there ever has been.
I know one area which is the Scottsmore/Edgewater area that has had a strong following of coon hunters for years. Their hunting land being turned into housing tracts which is really hurting them and I feel bad about that for them. We had one of the little dreaded week nights hunts here last Thursday and our local guys were all tied up. I was wondering if we were going to have a hunt. We ended up with 6 dogs and two guys came from about an hour and a half from the north. One guy 90 miles from the south and two guys 60 miles from the west. I was surprised to say the least but glad to see them here. Conditions are not good right now and both cast killed snakes and were chest deep in water. One cast was won by a young lady who was with her Father and had a nice bone collector female. We might not be smart down here but we are tough! Just Thankful for what we have and hope it will be around a while. All we can do is our part in making people feel welcome at the hunts and try to put them in hunting conditions that have coon.

Bruce the last sentence in your post is key to many clubs around me. The other thing is a lot of guys that could guide don't. And reason is there are some guys that hunt competition that will come back to your spot after guiding and hunt like it's theirs and they have permission to even though they don't. And I was guilty of not guiding or volunteering much to the club I did belong to. I felt it wasn't fair to other club members for me to keep being a member because in good weather I'm usually working. And most times I'm out of town working. So when the hunts were scheduled I'd be working.

Old Post 08-16-2017 04:44 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

I have to give you southern boys credit. Snakes,gators, chest deep water. Up here in the land of the coons we complain about walking across corn rows with a heavy dew on and getting a little wet. Lol

Old Post 08-16-2017 05:15 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by micooner
I have to give you southern boys credit. Snakes,gators, chest deep water. Up here in the land of the coons we complain about walking across corn rows with a heavy dew on and getting a little wet. Lol

Sad isn't it? lol. I agree, some of those southern hunters deal with a whole lot more negatives than we do. Kudos to all those tough hunters out there!

Old Post 08-16-2017 05:22 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Ain't no dunkin donuts in Marietta okla either but I bet there's one in Kalamazoo close to the office.

I like crispy cream better.

Old Post 08-16-2017 06:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Ain't no dunkin donuts in Marietta okla either but I bet there's one in Kalamazoo close to the office.

I like crispy cream better.

I'm sure there is but couldn't tell, off the top of my head, where its at. Coffee alone works well enough for me.

Old Post 08-16-2017 06:43 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I love coffee this is a little off topic but you know how I am when Mrs tar shops at the mall I set on the bench just so happens I was setting in front of one of those cigar shops I don't smoke but it was on of them were you could try them out I guess I seen this shelf in the front window I thought that looks like coffee and it was I bought a bag called Irish cream it was expensive but the best coffee I have ever drank lol.

Old Post 08-16-2017 06:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Attendance

quote:
Originally posted by LittleCreek
Payed Handlers to win no matter what.

Out of 90 dogs there might be 10 paid handlers.

Old Post 08-16-2017 07:00 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Knuckols
why eliminate titles earned from week day hunts . People need to realize that most of the country's work force works 12 hour rotating shifts with only a couple weekends per month off . Attendance is down due to most of the country is working on the weekend . Adapt to the market and bring in weekday hunts . weekday mini slams with a cash payout and an opportunity to earn titles

Mike, This experiment with the week night hunts has been going a long time in the other KC, It killed the attendance numbers at the hunts. I mean KILLED them. We went from having 16 to 20 dogs here on every weekend hunts to 1 cast maybe within a year of going to week night hunts. They are still showing up at the hunts but it makes it so there are so many of them they can pick and choose where they go. I don't need to come to your hunt tomorrow night because there are 4 more within driving distance this week. I would hate to see UKC go that same way. Its bad enough now.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-16-2017 07:17 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Actually I feel bad about our conditions right now. The creek one cast crossed with water up to their chest I walked across with tennis shoes on back in March and didn't get wet.

Old Post 08-16-2017 07:22 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Those week night hunts will burn you out if you work far as the races part of it they are designed were you got to go to all of them to stay in even if your winning your loosing money plus I am not fond of the 1 hr hunts.

Old Post 08-16-2017 07:24 PM
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Mike, This experiment with the week night hunts has been going a long time in the other KC, It killed the attendance numbers at the hunts. I mean KILLED them. We went from having 16 to 20 dogs here on every weekend hunts to 1 cast maybe within a year of going to week night hunts. They are still showing up at the hunts but it makes it so there are so many of them they can pick and choose where they go. I don't need to come to your hunt tomorrow night because there are 4 more within driving distance this week. I would hate to see UKC go that same way. Its bad enough now.

That's the reason why Im not at many hunts anymore as I work long shifts and rotate every 4 days and have only 2 weekends per month off . I have a grandson now 3 hours away so I don't get many opportunities for weekend hunts . I just get concerned with the mindset of restricting others the weekend hunters don't want the weekday hunters to be able to get titles ,the gun deer hunters want to restrict the bow hunters , the traditional archers want to restrict the compound bow hunters , the compound bow hunters want to restrict the crossbow hunters etc . IT makes me nervous to see this and its not a surprise that the antis make advances . Im not sure what the answers are but if there is not much opportunities for people to hunt UKC due to no weekday hunts they will go where they can . I hope there is a serious movement to look at all the registries rules and practices and take/ combine the best , most attractive parts of them all and come up with something that is in demand that has a chance to get the numbers up . If there are no weekday hunts so be it . Im not gonna quit hunting my dogs . If there is no public land Im gonna lease land just like the deer hunters and I do . I drive from East Texas to northern Kansas and Nebraska several times a year just to coon hunt just to get a break from the snakes and gators . some of the burden is gonna be on the clubs and Ive noticed the money added hunts have a good turn out ?

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 08-16-2017 11:08 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Snyder
UKC Forum Member

Re: UKC Hunt Attendance

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
I based this off the hunt results in the August bloodlines (actually plugged the numbers into a spreadsheet).

Here's what I found:

Average Hunt Size = 9 Dogs.
% of Hunts with 20 dogs or less: 98%.
% of Hunts with 10 dogs or less: 65%.
% of Hunts with 5 dogs or less: 23%.
% of Hunts with 8 dogs or less: 50%.

Noticed several 2 dog hunts that had Reg. and Nite Ch. winners.

What does that say to you???

Says the titles don't mean as much as they used to. More hunts + less people = cheap titles.

It doesn't cost a lot to be a real coonhunter. Most of us started out with very little. In reality, it is the sport of the common man.

How many started with a bailing twine lead, a mag light and whatever dog they could find? I know I did. It's not the cost. It's the desire. How many young competition hunters now can even skin a coon or know how to put up fur. Coonhunting is not hunting raccoons anymore.

That is the difference. And it shows in the dogs and in the people that participate in sanctioned hunts of either registry.

Old Post 08-17-2017 01:06 AM
Chris Snyder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Snyder Click here to Send Chris Snyder a Private Message Find more posts by Chris Snyder Add Chris Snyder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonhunter, MO
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

Some say it's the money, here in MO at our club we offer the winner of CH, NT. CH, 1st place Open the option of a Plaque or their entry fee back, most all take the plaque we had some take the money. This really surprised our club because everyone always says that UKC needs to pay$$ for it to increase the hunt #. Here the deer hunters not wanting a dog to run off there deer is a big problem and the MO Conservation pushing the deer hunting because it brings money to our state, coonhunting no money for Conservation.

Old Post 08-19-2017 06:11 PM
coonhunter, MO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter, MO Click here to Send coonhunter, MO a Private Message Find more posts by coonhunter, MO Add coonhunter, MO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

It is very unfortunate, but deer hunting is the #1 reason places to hunt have fallen off here in Georgia. The land companies charge a double figure per acre, and if you have a large tract, the average hunter can't afford the lease. Top that off with the un-educated deer hunter thinking all dog traffic runs off deer and you have a deal you will never win. I am sure it is mostly the same everywhere. It is all about money, and the small game guys are left out in the cold.

As for the trophy thing, we too offered entry fee back, dog food, or a trophy. Surprisingly, most wanted a $14.00 trophy vs. the $20.00 entry fee and $46.00 bag of dog food. Yep, they say its about the money and UKC needs to pay more, but the facts show different.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Last edited by Robert Johnson on 08-21-2017 at 12:34 PM

Old Post 08-21-2017 12:31 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Rock you remember a time when sombody run a stud add and they would take a picture with all their trophys that dog had won around them I got some pictures like that if I was drawing enough hunters to pay for them I would give trophys I got some guys I think would like them shoot I still like them lol.

Old Post 08-21-2017 12:55 PM
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: UKC Hunt Attendance

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Snyder
Says the titles don't mean as much as they used to. More hunts + less people = cheap titles.

It doesn't cost a lot to be a real coonhunter. Most of us started out with very little. In reality, it is the sport of the common man.

How many started with a bailing twine lead, a mag light and whatever dog they could find? I know I did. It's not the cost. It's the desire. How many young competition hunters now can even skin a coon or know how to put up fur. Coonhunting is not hunting raccoons anymore.

That is the difference. And it shows in the dogs and in the people that participate in sanctioned hunts of either registry.

I'll second that

Old Post 08-21-2017 01:01 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Rock you remember a time when sombody run a stud add and they would take a picture with all their trophys that dog had won around them I got some pictures like that if I was drawing enough hunters to pay for them I would give trophys I got some guys I think would like them shoot I still like them lol.

I guess what I was trying to say is some folks are never pleased, so why even try? Offer what you will, and let them complain or just stay home. That's harsh maybe, but its really all you can do.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 08-21-2017 03:02 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

We have a club here that gives all of the winners a card good for a free entry fee at their next hunt. It gives them an incentive to come back. And theoretically you can title your dog out without it costing you anything in entry fees.

Old Post 08-21-2017 03:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Re: Re: UKC Hunt Attendance

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Snyder

x2, knocked it out of the park, especially the last paragraph. There is no honor. Its a free for all.

Old Post 08-21-2017 04:53 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote