UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > UKC Hunt Attendance
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

UKC Hunt Attendance

I based this off the hunt results in the August bloodlines (actually plugged the numbers into a spreadsheet).

Here's what I found:

Average Hunt Size = 9 Dogs.
% of Hunts with 20 dogs or less: 98%.
% of Hunts with 10 dogs or less: 65%.
% of Hunts with 5 dogs or less: 23%.
% of Hunts with 8 dogs or less: 50%.

Noticed several 2 dog hunts that had Reg. and Nite Ch. winners.

What does that say to you???

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-14-2017 04:47 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

It says to me too many hunts and not enough customers.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 08-14-2017 07:47 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SCOTT E JONES
UKC Forum Member

ukc hunts

At the club which I belong to if we have 6 to 10 in average it seems like but the ukc mini slams average 16 to 24 hounds. Mini slams with a Calcutta seems to be the best turn out by far. Also 1 hr mini slams
would help the attendance from what hunters have told me when checking out with hunters what a club could do to bring up its attendance. At this time I'm told 3 mini slams are all a club is allowed to have. That should be a clubs options . Just what information iv been able to get her from hunters. The 1hr mini Slam hunts se to be what the younger working man's choice because of the sports events and the family time the older hunters like it also. Just what I've been told

Old Post 08-14-2017 07:49 AM
SCOTT E JONES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTT E JONES Click here to Send SCOTT E JONES a Private Message Find more posts by SCOTT E JONES Add SCOTT E JONES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Mini slam option should extend into week night hunts with 1 hour time limits. I know for me, I am not hunting a money hunt to win a title. eliminate title earnings from week night hunts, or come up with something other than the current method for earning such.

It has been proposed with numerous options in the past. The super slams are nice, but most people that work for a living are not going to pay a high entry fee around here, unless they have a way above average hound, which most paid way to much for. You won't find 16 to fill a hunt from this area. Even the $150 entry probably won't fill. A 50-100 will come far closer to filling than any other, and with a 1 hour week night category, it would work much better in this area. JMO, but a well educated one!! Some will say if you want that, hunt one of the other KC's, and they do have programs that allows for it, but the rules and procedures seem to get in the way of folks enjoying the hunt they paid to enter. Every time we hold a @KC hunt, Folks come back mad because someone wanted to scratch them right off the bat about something silly. And to think that a panel can go back to the woods, even hours after the tree was questioned, and a determination on whether or nor someone was right or wrong, and possibly bar a handler? Well folks, it gets hot down in Georgia, and that @KC rule proves someone has been in the sun way to long.
UKC prides itself in giving hunters what they want, and in helping clubs survive as well. Give them week night 1 hour hunts with whatever titling program they desire, and it will help us all. Clubs, Hunters, and UKC...again, JMO.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 08-14-2017 01:04 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

Jim in the area I live in its not to many hunts, its a fact that there are not enough folks hunting right now. I can probably name at least 10 that have all but stopped hunting comp. or do nothing but pleasure hunt. Quality of hounds has a lot to do with it also. It is extremely hard to find good dogs, capable of competing down here. Group all that together and you are fighting a battle that can not be won overnight.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 08-14-2017 01:09 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slim shady
Banned

Unfortunately it's just a dying sport...

Old Post 08-14-2017 03:11 PM
Slim shady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slim shady Click here to Send Slim shady a Private Message Find more posts by Slim shady Add Slim shady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Places to hunt are shrinking rapidly so hunting is shrinking. Pretty soon we will only be able to hunt in enclosres. Look at what happened to the fox hunters. Deer hunters have had to go out and lease hunting territory and "manage" it. Unfortunately, part of their management is stopping all coonhunting. With all of the new technology, coonhunting has become a very expensive sport. Young kids can't afford it. The problem is not with the hunts but with the # of coonhunters. The way to increase the hunt #'s is to increase the # of coonhunters period.

Old Post 08-14-2017 03:30 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

The other kc just finished 6 nights of hunts here in michigan with entries of 60 to 90 dogs a night. Its all about money.

Old Post 08-14-2017 04:46 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

As I said, you have to have a bunch of it to compete.

Old Post 08-14-2017 04:50 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LittleCreek
UKC Forum Member

Attendance

Payed Handlers to win no matter what.

"Little Creek Kennels"

Last edited by LittleCreek on 08-14-2017 at 04:53 PM

Old Post 08-14-2017 04:50 PM
LittleCreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LittleCreek Click here to Send LittleCreek a Private Message Find more posts by LittleCreek Add LittleCreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Attendance

quote:
Originally posted by LittleCreek
Payed Handlers

Maybe that is the answer. Everyone should go out and find an aggresive, competitive young man and pay him to handle their dog. I wonder how many paid handlers will be at Autumn Oaks? I know that I had to hire Jared to handle my dog. He isn't very aggressive but he can be competitive. And he is all that I could afford.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 08-14-2017 at 06:45 PM

Old Post 08-14-2017 04:58 PM
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
To many people against making changes in formats, rules, & payouts also..

Old Post 08-14-2017 06:36 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Re: Attendance

quote:
Originally posted by LittleCreek
Payed Handlers to win no matter what.
i dont think paid handlers are much of a problem. I'm sure they feel pressured to get results. Know the rules and have them enforced will solve most hunt problems.

Old Post 08-14-2017 06:50 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

The problem in my area has nothing to do with UKC, their rules, or hunt format. A big part of the problem is the club's themselves.

Old Post 08-14-2017 08:04 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ssgied
The problem in my area has nothing to do with UKC, their rules, or hunt format. A big part of the problem is the club's themselves.

Exactly! If your not in the click, might as well not show up! Not just UKC hunts either, all registries!

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 08-14-2017 08:57 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Only 2 or 3 hunts a month that I can hit that are under a 3 hour drive one way so there aren't alot of hunts in my area for UKC so again not driving that for a 2cent yellow win slip. Like others have said there just isn't enough incentive or return for my $$ in UKC. The 2 hunts I have went to had 9 dogs for a walker sectional and 5 dogs for a poor boy. Go to a week day $$ hunt draws at least 12 dog's. Not to hard to figure out the problem, but I guess UKC is happy with the $ they make on registrations and the performance program

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 08-14-2017 09:18 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

If clubs want the younger generation to show up and participate in the hunts 2 things need to happen.

1-The older club members need to be open and accepting to the younger generations. Just because it was done this way 20 years ago, doesn't mean it should always be done this way. Times change and if you can't change with them that's when things start to die out!

2-Trophies or plaques don't taste very good! It cost a good bit of $$ to train and run around to hunts to title your dog out. Cold, hard, green cash drives this world! Start paying out places depending on entry #s and you will see more show up. UKC has no rule in place that says a club can't award $$. Most clubs don't even give out trophies/plaques now, because they can't afford them. All you get is your win slip.

I know areas are different, but if the local clubs around me didn't have PKC hunts, they would all be closed. That's just how the hunts go around this area on the local club level.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 08-14-2017 09:20 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

So, how many dogs will show up for the week night, 1 hr, $30 entry Mini Slams held during the week before AO. They sound just like what a lot of people are asking for.

Old Post 08-14-2017 09:42 PM
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Harris - I agree with u 100% except on one point but like you said all areas are different. Our area is different than yours. Ive seen our club have both up's and downs through the years. We tried $KC and unfortunately it never took off. Not sure why prob many reasons but one being there wasnt but one other club doing them at the time and it was a long drive to that one club. You could go to any UKC hunt any given wknd all year long and not drive over 100 miles to the farthest one and its still that way today. If our club tried to survive on $KC we would have starved out. We would consider trying em again if we had more involvement .
We started giving out prizes a few years ago .... dog leads , decals, shirts, Feti cups etc etc but you know those are only $10-15 prizes and nobody really cares about $10-15 as thats nothing anymore. We just wanted to give away something . We still draw low numbers and still give out prizes even though we dont make that much profit after its all said and done. Club success has came in waves for us. Its not about the profit But we do have to make some money to operate on.

Guys if you dont have a youth hunter to mentor and take under your wings , Find one !! Show them the ropes teach them about the breed of your choice, etc etc , make it fun for him/her.

Old Post 08-14-2017 09:54 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

I got a 9 year old son and a 14 year old cousin that I take hunting and they both enjoy pleasure hunting alot and love hide hunting even more. Do you really think a yellow win slip would make either one of them happy ??? I sure think a nice plaque, trophy, or even a nice ribbon to hang on the wall would give them a grin from ear to ear not to mention something that they will always remember when they look at it. Kids 16 and older they want gas $$ and date $$ back for what they spend at the hunts when they win

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Last edited by MR.RATMAN on 08-14-2017 at 10:17 PM

Old Post 08-14-2017 10:15 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MR.RATMAN
I got a 9 year old son and a 14 year old cousin that I take hunting and they both enjoy pleasure hunting alot and love hide hunting even more. Do you really think a yellow win slip would make either one of them happy ??? I sure think a nice plaque, trophy, or even a nice ribbon to hang on the wall would give them a grin from ear to ear not to mention something that they will always remember when they look at it. Kids 16 and older they want gas $$ and date $$ back for what they spend at the hunts when they win

Date $$ was the beginning of the end of a lot of young coon hunters.

Old Post 08-14-2017 11:05 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

You got that right lol

Old Post 08-15-2017 03:26 AM
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

plaques n trophies

we have a country boy that also hunts that owns a trophy n plaque bussiness and my uncle make plaques ,they are both cheaper than any place we have seen. pm me or call if u need more info. somethin needs to be done as we went to a Purina Event ,RQE and the "hunt winners" got plaques n trophys but they said the"show people " dont get anything...

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 08-15-2017 03:42 AM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

Mr Batman

I completly agree..we take our boys,7 and 8 years old to UKC shows and Darik has made his own hound a Champion and they handed him a win slip. He is very honored and appreciated them ,but trophies or a plaque would be nice. They hand them out to the hunt winners and bench show entry fees are not much cheaper than the night hunts.

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 08-15-2017 03:46 AM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by ssgied
x2, that's the reason attendance is so low. Its even starting to affect pleasure hunting around here.

Old Post 08-15-2017 04:11 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote