UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > **** Coyotes
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Chuck Kerns
UKC Forum Member

**** Coyotes

I was running my little female Gretchen solo yesterday and she got attacked by a **** coyote. She got by with only a couple small skin tears on her rib cage. This is the 4th time in the last 3 years I have had a beagle attacked while running a rabbit track! I wish the State would put a bounty on coyote. Is there anything I can do to stop these attacks on my beagles ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-22-2016 01:03 PM
Chuck Kerns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Kerns Click here to Send Chuck Kerns a Private Message Click Here to Email Chuck Kerns Find more posts by Chuck Kerns Add Chuck Kerns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jukebox
UKC Forum Member

Yotes

Sorry about your dog. I have not had that problem yet, but I run a pack more so I would have less problem. I have been told that you can run a small cow bell on their collar
and the coyotes won't come near. The man that told me swore it works. At any rate it's cheap and would also help you keep up with their location. Hope it helps!

Old Post 04-22-2016 01:28 PM
jukebox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jukebox Click here to Send jukebox a Private Message Find more posts by jukebox Add jukebox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Re: Yotes

quote:
Originally posted by jukebox
Sorry about your dog. I have not had that problem yet, but I run a pack more so I would have less problem. I have been told that you can run a small cow bell on their collar
and the coyotes won't come near. The man that told me swore it works. At any rate it's cheap and would also help you keep up with their location. Hope it helps!

Some will debate that bells do work for a period of time. However, after they smarten up to them they become "dinner bells".

Old Post 04-22-2016 03:19 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Yotes

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Some will debate that bells do work for a period of time. However, after they smarten up to them they become "dinner bells".

Yep, I wouldn't recommend them. Coyotes are a lot of things, but dumb they're not. Once they run into a clanging bell more than once and hang back and study whats going on, a dinner bell is exactly what it becomes. Yotes are supreme opportunists.

If a bell meant they get chased and possibly tore up, they would avoid them at all costs, unfortunately we all know that aint happening with beagles.

April and May is a poor time to run dogs that aren't big enough to defend themselves. Females are nursing pups and are both territorial and looking for food at every opportunity.

Old Post 04-22-2016 03:40 PM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beagler/mike
UKC Forum Member

Had a pack of three come in on my dogs , two times it happened. Now carry .380 Ruger .

Old Post 04-22-2016 05:14 PM
beagler/mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beagler/mike Click here to Send beagler/mike a Private Message Find more posts by beagler/mike Add beagler/mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Kerns
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like I need to quit running in the spring or stay close to my dogs and talk to them so a coyote knows I am nearby.

Old Post 04-22-2016 11:45 PM
Chuck Kerns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Kerns Click here to Send Chuck Kerns a Private Message Click Here to Email Chuck Kerns Find more posts by Chuck Kerns Add Chuck Kerns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bob keese
UKC Forum Member

Last year we had a 4 dog pack attacked. 2 dogs gone, only a front leg was found. A buddy was running his Canadian National Champion with 10 other dogs and suddenly there was only 10 running. He had a gps and found what was left of his dog and the collar. 10 years ago you didn't hear about this at all. Then it was a Kentucky thing, now it happens in Maryland. A few years back a guy in Kentucky said the Yotes killed one of his beagles and he replaced it with a Yote hound. You want them to leave your beagles alone, run the Yotes with big hounds, they won't come near a barking hound after that. Invest in a calling machine and hunt'em.

Old Post 04-22-2016 11:59 PM
bob keese is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bob keese Click here to Send bob keese a Private Message Click Here to Email bob keese Find more posts by bob keese Add bob keese to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bob keese
UKC Forum Member

Last year we had a 4 dog pack attacked. 2 dogs gone, only a front leg was found. A buddy was running his Canadian National Champion with 10 other dogs and suddenly there was only 10 running. He had a gps and found what was left of his dog and the collar. 10 years ago you didn't hear about this at all. Then it was a Kentucky thing, now it happens in Maryland. A few years back a guy in Kentucky said the Yotes killed one of his beagles and he replaced it with a Yote hound. You want them to leave your beagles alone, run the Yotes with big hounds, they won't come near a barking hound after that. Invest in a calling machine and hunt'em.

Old Post 04-22-2016 11:59 PM
bob keese is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bob keese Click here to Send bob keese a Private Message Click Here to Email bob keese Find more posts by bob keese Add bob keese to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
big matt t.
UKC Forum Member

I kill everyone i get a clean shot at! Dnt matter if im runnin dogs or hunting there dead! I dnt care what the state says i will not allow my dogs to be harmed by yotes they can write me all the tickets they want! ( havnt got any yet) !!

"We Hual With Owens Boxes"
GRCH GRHBCH White River Coal Miner
GRCH GRHBCH Weedeater Fire River Blessing (Gena)
GRCH GRHBCH Litttle Italy's Gracie Girl
Regestered National Ch. GRHBCH Hartleyville Grimm Ripper
HBCH Big T's Leo's Coal Trash
GRHBCH Huttons Big T's Rip Fuel
(And Coming Soon)
Whiteriver Awhole Lotta Trouble
Big T's Lucy In The Sky
Big T's Can't Get Right
Big T's Pretty Girl Zoey
( Temperary Home Of )
GRHBCH Buck Lake Lola (RIP OLD GIRL)

Old Post 04-23-2016 12:39 AM
big matt t. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big matt t. Click here to Send big matt t. a Private Message Click Here to Email big matt t. Find more posts by big matt t. Add big matt t. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thornie
UKC Forum Member

When I'm running I carry two pistols. A blank one to shoot over my dogs and a 410 with 00buckshot or 22 pistol for yotes. Make sure you have a hunting liscense.

Old Post 04-23-2016 09:35 AM
thornie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thornie Click here to Send thornie a Private Message Click Here to Email thornie Find more posts by thornie Add thornie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Kerns
UKC Forum Member

Of the 4 times my dogs have been hit by Coyotes only once did I actually see the Coyote. That one didn't actually bite the dog. It just chased him out of the woods. It was running along about 20 yds behind the dog (not trying to catch him) until it saw me. It saw me as soon as I saw it so I couldn't have gotten a shot at it even if I had a gun with me. They are slick !

Old Post 04-23-2016 01:05 PM
rick weatherwax
UKC Forum Member

We shot 20 in a week and a half off are coyote dogs about a month ago

Old Post 04-23-2016 07:42 PM
rick weatherwax is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick weatherwax Click here to Send rick weatherwax a Private Message Click Here to Email rick weatherwax Find more posts by rick weatherwax Add rick weatherwax to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Kerns
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rick weatherwax
We shot 20 in a week and a half off are coyote dogs about a month ago

Rick, that sounds like fun ! Callaway boys used to run coyote dogs around here but we have too much traffic in this area and their dogs kept getting hit on the road. I don't think anyone has coyote dogs around here anymore.

Old Post 04-24-2016 01:25 AM
gasserdogs
UKC Forum Member

our coyote hounds are beagles. just got find the ones with grit!

Old Post 04-27-2016 04:25 AM
gasserdogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gasserdogs Click here to Send gasserdogs a Private Message Find more posts by gasserdogs Add gasserdogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jford228
UKC Forum Member

If a beagle gets to close to a active den site they can get nailed. its more to do with being territorial than anything. april and may would be the most likely time to get a dog attacked as that's when yotes have to protect their own pups. other times of the year coyotes are just curious and come to see whats going on. coyotes are not gonna run just because they hear a big dog barking unless they know they are being chased themselves, theyre smarter than a average house dog.

Old Post 05-28-2016 02:29 PM
jford228 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jford228 Click here to Send jford228 a Private Message Click Here to Email jford228 Find more posts by jford228 Add jford228 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote