UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What has happened to the Leopard Hound folks?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

What has happened to the Leopard Hound folks?

Back 2-3 years ago or more there seemed to be frequent posts by the Leopard Hound folks. My guess is Wick’s Camo Jug has long since passed. A lot of the chatter seemed to be centered around his progeny. It seemed (by comments of several forum contributors and those who raised pups off him) as if he was producing coon dogs that were geared more to the pleasure hunter.

Was it just a short term fad that fizzled?

Last edited by DL NH on 08-06-2022 at 07:57 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-06-2022 07:55 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn’t call Leopards a fad, they were breeding them long before Jug and continued after he was gone. The same amount around here as always but they hate the Leopard Hound name and as far as I know still use the Leopard Cur name and refuse to register theirs with UKC.
That was just a small group that wanted to have the Leopard hound registered with UKC. I only know a small number of Leopard guys but 100% of them are real quick to tell you their dogs are not hounds and will not be registered as such!

Old Post 08-06-2022 09:02 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I've got 5 here and consider mine to be curs. The organization has a lot of problems in my opinion. They won't get any more dues from me

Old Post 08-07-2022 04:20 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
I wouldn’t call Leopards a fad, they were breeding them long before Jug and continued after he was gone. The same amount around here as always but they hate the Leopard Hound name and as far as I know still use the Leopard Cur name and refuse to register theirs with UKC.
That was just a small group that wanted to have the Leopard hound registered with UKC. I only know a small number of Leopard guys but 100% of them are real quick to tell you their dogs are not hounds and will not be registered as such!

I really don’t know much at all about the Leopard Cur or the Leopard Hound. I was always under the assumption they were not one in the same. I assumed from what I’ve read that in the early years of the Leopard Cur and hound crosses, folks were looking to take the desirable traits of a Coonhound and those of the Leopard Cur to create a new breed of hound.

There seemed to be growing enthusiasm about this type of hound for awhile. Seemingly by folks who were looking to have a hound that was a hunting partner with its owner handler as opposed to what has become the present day competition hounds.

Old Post 08-07-2022 12:49 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WildRide
UKC Forum Member

We are still around, just few and far between. We actually had one of the best turnouts at Leopard Days this past year in Holmesville. A big issue though is there aren't many dedicated to Nite hunts, they'd much rather pleasure hunt. I pleasure hunt mine as well as participate in field trials, water races and bench showing.

The current officer team is working very hard to turn the organization back around in the right direction. I think this year's Leopard Days was a great indication of that. Really excellent turnout, especially friday

Old Post 08-07-2022 01:23 PM
WildRide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WildRide Click here to Send WildRide a Private Message Find more posts by WildRide Add WildRide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

I would be in the opposite camp. The Competition hunting is why I don’t hunt the Coonhound breeds anymore. It’s too hard to find a coon dog within them. Lots of Tree dogs and greyhounds but not many game catchers. You Leopard boys better take note and fight tooth and nail to keep those dogs scored with a .22 and not a pencil. Or they won’t be Leopards anymore.

Old Post 08-07-2022 01:47 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Ive never hunted with a leopard curr.Ive hunted OMCBA MT CURRS FOR 25 YRS.They can make good coondogs and a great one can make a hound look sick if he aint careful.They will spoil you to hunt with a close hunting dog.If people love the leopards for pleasure dogs they must be a similar style dog.I have had streak bred dogs that would go deep but they can be trained to handle good.

Old Post 08-07-2022 03:37 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

I tried all the curs over the years and the Leopard suited me best since they opened on track. Got the first one from McDuffie in South Carolina and saw it was off Rex Bowers Dutchman Creek dog. Made a nice dog and sold him to Rex. McDuffie put a picture of him in Full Cry sitting on top of the dog box waiting to go hunting. Then Rex started giving my wife a pup with agreement she would sell it back to him when it made a coondog. One was a small mearle female that started the first night in the woods and was singled out after one week and made one of the nicest and smartest dogs I've been in the woods with. Sold her back to Rex and always regretted it.
Leopard curs had a strict registration and they wouldn't even single register a dog until Wick came along with Jug, a dog heavy in hound blood.Apparently it's who you know because they let him in and they became the leopard hound. Lot of slick haired hounds instead of the course haired curs that they were supposeto be.
I hunted with Rex and will say his dogs were coon treeing machines and Rex is a good dog man.

Old Post 08-07-2022 04:42 PM
yadkinriver is online now Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

It didn’t take long after they opened the registry to leopard hounds that some started looking like bluetick crosses…

There are many who are against the name leopard hound and who have stuck with leopard cur…

Old Post 08-07-2022 09:53 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Does anyone know of Leopards out west (Wyoming, Colorado, Montana) ?

Old Post 08-08-2022 07:19 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry
UKC Forum Member

leopard folks

We are still here!!! Most are pleasure hunters. I have started to reply to this post and twice after 30 minutes of slowwwww typing it just disappeared. Frustrating!! me and computers dont get along. I hunted leopards for 40 years. I am fortunate to have met and hunted with a lot of the old timers and their leopards. The pioneers so to speak. I was President for 6 or 7 years. I was present at a couple Jug meetings of record. John Wick did what he thought was right for Jug. I was heavily involved with Leopards becoming the 7th hound breed. My time following leopards and participating is a cherished part of my life. We most always had more pleasure hunters at the Little World and World hunt than we did competition hunters. My club hosted 2 ALBA world hunts. At one we had folks form 14 states and Canada. A good many of the old timers are gone or cant hunt any longer. My years are numbered. I have several young grand kids that like to hunt. I hope there is a Leopard association for us to attend when they are ready and I hope it is full of good folks and fellowship like I was fortunate enough to attend. If they have competition hunters there all the better. There is room in the ALBA Inc for both!!
Thanks
Perry

Old Post 08-17-2022 05:27 PM
perry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry Click here to Send perry a Private Message Click Here to Email perry Find more posts by perry Add perry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry
UKC Forum Member

leopard folks

We are still here!!! Most are pleasure hunters. I have started to reply to this post and twice after 30 minutes of slowwwww typing it just disappeared. Frustrating!! me and computers dont get along. I hunted leopards for 40 years. I am fortunate to have met and hunted with a lot of the old timers and their leopards. The pioneers so to speak. I was President for 6 or 7 years. I was present at a couple Jug meetings of record. John Wick did what he thought was right for Jug. I was heavily involved with Leopards becoming the 7th hound breed. My time following leopards and participating is a cherished part of my life. We most always had more pleasure hunters at the Little World and World hunt than we did competition hunters. My club hosted 2 ALBA world hunts. At one we had folks form 14 states and Canada. A good many of the old timers are gone or cant hunt any longer. My years are numbered. I have several young grand kids that like to hunt. I hope there is a Leopard association for us to attend when they are ready and I hope it is full of good folks and fellowship like I was fortunate enough to attend. If they have competition hunters there all the better. There is room in the ALBA Inc for both!!
Thanks
Perry

Old Post 08-17-2022 05:27 PM
perry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry Click here to Send perry a Private Message Click Here to Email perry Find more posts by perry Add perry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bane13
New UKC Forum Member

I think FB has made this forum almost obsolete is a big part of the lack of posts.

Old Post 08-22-2022 11:37 AM
Bane13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bane13 Click here to Send Bane13 a Private Message Click Here to Email Bane13 Find more posts by Bane13 Add Bane13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote