UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Michigan?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Austin
UKC Forum Member

Michigan?

My dad and I are planning a trip up to Michigan in October to coon hunt and fish. Around the Manistee River. We will be hunting public land. Is coon hunting any good in this area? Could anyone give us some tips on somewhere good to hunt. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-14-2021 05:22 PM
Austin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Click here to Send Austin a Private Message Find more posts by Austin Add Austin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseL73
New UKC Forum Member

Any public land in that area is good.

Old Post 09-14-2021 06:54 PM
JesseL73 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseL73 Click here to Send JesseL73 a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseL73 Find more posts by JesseL73 Add JesseL73 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shaun Paton
UKC Forum Member

Michigan

I live 2 miles from the Manistee river. Lots of big country to hunt. Good hunting if you have a hound that will go deep. Bring a couple sets of pliers.

Old Post 09-14-2021 08:38 PM
Shaun Paton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun Paton Click here to Send Shaun Paton a Private Message Find more posts by Shaun Paton Add Shaun Paton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin
UKC Forum Member

Sounds good. I hope I don't have any trouble mine probably hunt around 500 yards. I've heard porcupines are bad. Can you just pull them out your self? Or is it a vet visit

Old Post 09-15-2021 01:31 PM
Austin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Click here to Send Austin a Private Message Find more posts by Austin Add Austin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Woody Backing
New UKC Forum Member

South east of Manistee there is alot of federal land with good hunting. Go east of the town of Freesoil.

Old Post 09-15-2021 10:10 PM
Woody Backing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Woody Backing Click here to Send Woody Backing a Private Message Click Here to Email Woody Backing Find more posts by Woody Backing Add Woody Backing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Austin
I've heard porcupines are bad. Can you just pull them out your self? Or is it a vet visit

Depends if the dog just gets slapped or tries to kill it.

It ain't pretty.

Old Post 09-16-2021 04:02 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Make sure your needle nose also have a wire cutting device on them or pack a separate set of cutters. The quills pull much easier and less pain to the dog if you clip the ends before you pull them.. Releases the air out of the quill and allows it to collapse a bit is what i've been told and it appeared to be so. I also carry a bottle of penicillin with Dexamethasone in it when I travel up yonder.. Takes the swelling down immediately and gives them some relief and protection from infection.

Better have a darn easy to handle dog as opposed to one who will freak out when the pulling is taking place.

I've only had to pull quills from two dogs and it wasn't horrible as they backed off when the poking started lol.. Dogs were very laid back and used to being handled as well..

I don't like cutting a hound loose north of 57 in Michigan and that is questionable anymore I believe.. 20 miles south of there might be better.. The good thing is, once they grab one, mine have been broke.

Some of the best hunting in the country in Michigan in my opinion.

Old Post 09-16-2021 04:32 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Larry I pulled quills from two different dogs last night lol. One sat and took it pretty good (those ones will usually do it again) and the other took two guys to hold and I ended up putting his head down the sleeve of a coat with just his mouth sticking out so he couldn't see the pliers coming. They outnumber the coons here 10-1.

Penicillin def a good idea. I've never tried cutting the end off first. We pulled for an hour last night before there was even anywhere for somebody to hold the dogs mouth to look inside 😨

Last edited by Donnie Stevens on 09-16-2021 at 05:17 PM

Old Post 09-16-2021 05:14 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Donnie, that sounds like a nightmare!! You live and hunt in some beautiful, but rough country!! I live right on the Michigan line and am 2.5/3 hours from Porky country thank God.. I used to hunt a lot up North of Hesperia, MI in the 80's and 90's and had a couple run ins with them.. Latter years here I don't hunt north of the Maple River or Flat River so stay out of the sights.. The knot heads I hunt would absolutely be Porky hounds.. I'm sure of it lol...

Whenever I travel with the hounds I tote a bottle of Pencort along, it's a penicillin based mixture with Dexamethasone, B12 and a couple other ingredients a local vet makes up.. Cut foot, bad coon bites, porky's or anything it's a big help for a traveling hunter.. Pack it right in my cooler and keep it to hand.

I spent a couple days in Nova Scotia and a week in New Foundland bear hunting.. Don't see how you all run a tree hound up there.. Man it looked rough..

Old Post 09-16-2021 06:33 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote