UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon hunters caught on popular youtubers land guy is raising hell about it
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hound Hunters in Northern New England take notice..

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
We’re in trouble! This guy is adamant about ending hunting with hounds.

Yeah, you can say that again. 125k views and over 10k likes. Take 5 minutes to read through the comments. Best thing to do is to avoid his place like the plague, even if it's inconvenient to your hunting habits. As hound hunters we understand stuff happens and game crosses the road from time to time. He doesn't understand, and you'll not convince him otherwise. The only other solution would be to set up shop on the road or property boundary where you've got permission to ensure the dogs don't enter his property. But he'd probably complain and make a video about that, too. Does VT have a Right to Retrieve Law?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-08-2021 03:07 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pastor Mike
UKC Forum Member

I love having my main hound tone broke. Makes it a lot easier to retrieve. Most don’t want their dog to stop tracking a coon but you better train them to know it’s time to stop when they hear that tone. I realize being in a hunt is different but during the week it sure is the way to go.

GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Soggy Bottom The Frog Dawg (current reproducers list)
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom The Bull Dawg
Soggy Bottom T-Top Miss Dottie
RIP
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Haze HTX (Former#1 Reproducer)
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Stella
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Shadow
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom Bomber's Red Wire (Pigeon- former #1 Reproducer)
NTCH GRCH Red Cedar T-Top Lexus
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Locket

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Old Post 09-08-2021 05:58 PM
Pastor Mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pastor Mike Click here to Send Pastor Mike a Private Message Click Here to Email Pastor Mike Find more posts by Pastor Mike Add Pastor Mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I can’t imagine many bear or lion hunters have their entire packs tone broke to leave a tree where they’re looking at their game in broad daylight.

Old Post 09-08-2021 09:57 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

It’s really upsetting for me to see this guy making video…I reckon he needs the money to buy chicken feed…

He should be making video on all the dead animals trying to cross the interstate highways and freeways…

The animals crossing the roads are looking for a mate and or food or water…either way many animals die on a daily basis yet no one talks about that…and why is that??? Could it be because all who drive should have some sort of accountability? I don’t hear the anti’s talking about…when they map out clearing of land no one discusses animal habit nor water access to wildlife we just make it happen in the name of progress…I say we the hunters are the most dedicated in protecting our natural resources including habitat…

In my opinion, more animals die crossing roads than by hunters…traffic is 24/7 around the clock year after year and it is only getting worse…

I used to believe over population was the root cause of our problems…then one day I realized it was not the root cause…
I then realized greed had to be the root cause of our problems…
And then I realized I was wrong again…
The truth came to me one day…the root cause of our biggest problem is our human nature…
The YouTube guy is only a small symptom of the root cause…

Last edited by Reuben on 09-09-2021 at 03:43 AM

Old Post 09-09-2021 03:08 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pollard_247
UKC Forum Member

What kills me now is he is fine with bird dogs etc.. I commented on his post and said you do realize bird dogs are turned loose with the same “unethical” tracking equipment and can range out just as far the ignorance his followers have baffles me.

Old Post 09-11-2021 02:54 AM
Pollard_247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollard_247 Click here to Send Pollard_247 a Private Message Click Here to Email Pollard_247 Find more posts by Pollard_247 Add Pollard_247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pollard_247
UKC Forum Member

What kills me now is he is fine with bird dogs etc.. I commented on his post and said you do realize bird dogs are turned loose with the same “unethical” tracking equipment and can range out just as far the ignorance his followers have baffles me.

Old Post 09-11-2021 02:54 AM
Pollard_247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollard_247 Click here to Send Pollard_247 a Private Message Click Here to Email Pollard_247 Find more posts by Pollard_247 Add Pollard_247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pastor Mike
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I can’t imagine many bear or lion hunters have their entire packs tone broke to leave a tree where they’re looking at their game in broad daylight.

I was just referring to coon dogs.

GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Soggy Bottom The Frog Dawg (current reproducers list)
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom The Bull Dawg
Soggy Bottom T-Top Miss Dottie
RIP
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Haze HTX (Former#1 Reproducer)
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Stella
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Shadow
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom Bomber's Red Wire (Pigeon- former #1 Reproducer)
NTCH GRCH Red Cedar T-Top Lexus
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Locket

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Old Post 09-12-2021 05:30 PM
Pastor Mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pastor Mike Click here to Send Pastor Mike a Private Message Click Here to Email Pastor Mike Find more posts by Pastor Mike Add Pastor Mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Toning them off a track or toning them in if they’ve been free casted is one thing. Toning them off a tree or bayed up where they’re looking at their game is another. Not saying it can’t be done. It would have to be an emergency or life threatening deal for me to shock a dog off the game their suppose to be pursuing or holding at bay.

Old Post 09-14-2021 01:58 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Toning them off a track or toning them in if they’ve been free casted is one thing. Toning them off a tree or bayed up where they’re looking at their game is another. Not saying it can’t be done. It would have to be an emergency or life threatening deal for me to shock a dog off the game their suppose to be pursuing or holding at bay.

My dogs are trained to come to tone whether on tree, trail or just hunting. If trained properly shocking is a very small part of this training. And yes they will come off a tree with a coon setting right over their head. Made 4 trees last night and never put a leash on a dog. On dog is 3 and the other is 7 months. It makes for a very pleasurable dog to hunt. Now I know guys who would never train there dogs like mine and I understand that but it can be done if you want to.

Old Post 09-14-2021 03:08 AM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Think you need to go back and read my last post more carefully. I didn’t say “off game.” I said “…..off THE game their ( should have been “they’re”) suppose to be chasing.”

Old Post 09-14-2021 03:13 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PreacherTom
My dogs are trained to come to tone whether on tree, trail or just hunting. If trained properly shocking is a very small part of this training. And yes they will come off a tree with a coon setting right over their head. Made 4 trees last night and never put a leash on a dog. On dog is 3 and the other is 7 months. It makes for a very pleasurable dog to hunt. Now I know guys who would never train there dogs like mine and I understand that but it can be done if you want to.

I am almost 73 and my hunting partner is almost 84, both of our dogs are tone broke and handle like a dream. Due to our age and health, having tone broke dogs are a NECESSITY and I have never enjoyed hunting dogs any more than these broke dogs. You never know when getting your dogs can save a lot of time and headache, especially when trees where you can not go or having an irate landowner threading to shoot you or the dogs or both. Tone breaking is peace of mind just like tracking collars. Dave

Old Post 09-14-2021 04:28 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

So I’d like to hear from the guys who are big game hunters about the subject of toning dogs off from the game they pursue. Do you guys, can you guys tone your dogs off tree or away from baying up a mountain lion or bear? If so how often do you have to or want to do it?

Old Post 09-14-2021 05:28 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

This discussion should have never turned towards whether or not anyone can tone their dogs off!!! You are playing right into their hand the moment you do.
This guy has a petition with right at 88,000 signatures to end hunting with hounds the last time I checked the numbers. He has listed the email addresses for the governor of Vermont, fish and wildlife commission and other law makers. He is requesting meetings with all. He will not stop and with a following of a few hundred thousand he's garnering plenty of support along with $ just in views. He has many misconceptions about our sport and others similar (the first video on the trespassers he thinks that was a commercial guide), it was a guide during a hunt. He also is under the assumption that Garmins and other GPS systems have changed the way hunting with hounds happens. He doesn't see them as a way to make it safer for our dogs or the ability to track or in some cases control our dogs. We are simply turning them loose and driving around for miles ignoring posted land and infringing on land owner rights.
As hunters who wish to retain their rights to free cast hounds we have to stick together not have a peeing contest about who can or cannot tone break their dogs. Let us not forget that in a sanctioned hunt these can only be used on time out or when it is over. In some cases units with the ability to control cannot be used at all.
This is Vermont but in the times we are in it is coming to a state near you. Get ready!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-15-2021 01:38 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Redneck Mafia, Chey or Jen, whichever wrote the last comment, you are correct. I agree this post was not about how to handle your dogs. It is about a much larger issue. I would recommend that every hunter go to Houndsman XP and listen to the "I shook hands with the HSUS" podcast. It will open our eyes to the magnitude of the effort against hunting, especially hound hunting.

Old Post 09-15-2021 03:18 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

My apologies if my comments detracted from the point of this post. It was not intended to do so.

I run hare in VT a lot and coon hunt with my best friend and his coon hounds in VT. I was raised in the State and own property within 5 miles of the Canadian border where I run my hare hounds and still coon hunt some with my best friend of 40 years.

So I’ve got skin in the game too! I’m not foolish enough to think it’ll only be bear and coon hunting that will suffer from these anti’s.

The problem is going to be $$$, time and skilled representation in state legislature. Northern New England is being over run by liberal minded wealthy people who want the real estate an don’t give a dxxn about tradition.

Most off the few of us born and raised here don’t fit into any of those categories.

Old Post 09-15-2021 05:10 PM
Bork
UKC Forum Member

Most of the time if my dog gets on posted property I go knock on the door and explain what’s going on and where I was running the dog at and apologize and tell them I just want to go get the dog and leave . We have a retrieval law but I do it anyway most of the time the land owner is already up due to hearing the dog anyway and I have never had someone tell me that I couldn’t go get the dog. They seem to be more understanding if I do this than if they catch you sneaking around their place in the middle of the night . Make no doubt about it I’m going to get the dog one way or another but I was raised to have enough respect to try and let him know what’s going on.

Old Post 09-17-2021 04:47 AM
Bork is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bork Click here to Send Bork a Private Message Click Here to Email Bork Find more posts by Bork Add Bork to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indiana1
UKC Forum Member

Seen this video last night. I understand the guys frustration at first. Sounds like the guide could of handled it a lot better. So I assume there is a club somewhere near since they were in a cast. It would probably go a long way if the president of the club or a few club members would meet this guy and apologize for the mess. Would be a great idea to invite him to spectate a cast so he could better understand how things sometimes even with the best intentions don’t always go as planned. Think maybe they could find some common ground. I hope the guide just stays away. The comments were unbelievable,just goes to show how closed minded some people are when they do not understand the whole situation.

(Uchtman’s blue Amos x Uchtman’s blue Magic)
NITECH Lynch’s LIL BLU MAC (Walston’s Big Country x Hatcreek Kate 2)

Old Post 09-17-2021 03:36 PM
indiana1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for indiana1 Click here to Send indiana1 a Private Message Find more posts by indiana1 Add indiana1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

I highly recommend that everyone listens to the Houndsman XP pod cast with Butch Spear. The VT Bear hound association has been doing excellent work being an ambassador to hunting with hounds and worthy of our support.

Old Post 09-28-2021 07:34 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I actually sent an email to the President of the club I’m 99% sure hosted the night hunt that the cast went out from. I offered to go visit the guy and attempt to provide some insight as to what these hunts are all about.

I was once a member of the club I’m referring to. I know the club President and plan to talk with him and your right,
it was a poor display of how the guide, cast members and spectators should have conducted themselves.

Old Post 09-29-2021 03:13 PM
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Bear Video

Well I will say this. Run in with property owners will happen. And sometimes its unavoidable. The key is how we handle the run in... I watched another video with the same land owner dealing with bear hunters who treed a bear on this guys land and while walking in the bear hunter made a statement supporting bringing back slavery. While on video! As evil as that statement and opinion is this guy may want to avoid stating this type of stupidity with a camera in his face.. It makes us all look really bad. Just saying! How can a politician get on board with guys who are this ignorant! Answer- They are not!

Last edited by Dan&Ann on 09-29-2021 at 04:39 PM

Old Post 09-29-2021 04:12 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Example

We had a similar situation on our deer dog club in Hoffman Forest NC. There was an elderly woman and son who lived on a 100 acre farm that was positioned in a spot where hounds went through several times per season. That was all well and good until the son started raising bull dogs. I have my suspicion as to what he was up to, but our hounds started getting mawled and some went missing. I went to the elderly lady to make peace and she made it clear that she was gonna support her son and he was gonna continue to take care of any deer hound that came on their property. The next week I went back with a cooler full of shrimp and fish that my brother (commercial fisherman) donated to the cause. And we continued to bring her deer meat and fish every season and we never had another problem. My strong advice is to make a peace offering from the club to this guy & family.. Let this guys see the good side of the hunters. Invite him to an event when you guys are cooking. Take his kids a coonhound puppy for Christmas. Take a few sacks of grain for those ducks and chicken. It worked for us! Just my 2 cents!

Old Post 09-29-2021 04:34 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Bear Video

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
Well I will say this. Run in with property owners will happen. And sometimes its unavoidable. The key is how we handle the run in... I watched another video with the same land owner dealing with bear hunters who treed a bear on this guys land and while walking in the bear hunter made a statement supporting bringing back slavery. While on video! As evil as that statement and opinion is this guy may want to avoid stating this type of stupidity with a camera in his face.. It makes us all look really bad. Just saying! How can a politician get on board with guys who are this ignorant! Answer- They are not!

I agree…

I saw the same video and what was said about slavery was totally uncalled for and a black eye for anyone who hunts with dogs…

Old Post 09-29-2021 05:34 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote