UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon hunters caught on popular youtubers land guy is raising hell about it
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pollard_247
UKC Forum Member

Coon hunters caught on popular youtubers land guy is raising hell about it

https://youtu.be/b0q-TJ-vpPc

I came across a video a city boy youtuber has bought a farm and caught some coon hunters trespassing on a nite hunt apparently. He’s obviously has no clue what is going on. What worries me between him and his following if he pushes the issue it could cause some problems.
He caused a big stink with tractor supply how they raised chickens and the company had to change their ways.
If he’s willing to force the issue over some **** chickens no telling what where he will take this...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-23-2021 04:53 AM
Pollard_247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollard_247 Click here to Send Pollard_247 a Private Message Click Here to Email Pollard_247 Find more posts by Pollard_247 Add Pollard_247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

If you think this guy is an idiot then read the replies. One woman said in her state of Penn. It's illegal to hunt after dark and you have to wait until daylight to start and how can they see what they're shooting at.
And people wonder why hunt numbers are falling off. So many people raised in the concrete jungle that don't have a clue.

Old Post 08-23-2021 11:58 AM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

It's a losing battle if you do t have permission to hunt on someone else's land without a right to retrieve law you will eventually get a ticket or worse and yes many folks today don't understand the Hunter's way

Old Post 08-23-2021 12:36 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Tough to watch... a guy that knows nothing of a culture and has made up his mind the culture involving hunting, or hounds is wrong. This is the future land owner we have to deal with. P.S. sir- you have 160 acres... its not a farm it's a big yard. Enjoy your ducks.

He says some things that are not true. Mostly that "they were out there with guns and lights." It appeared they were on a sanctioned hunt as they had a guide so obviously were not armed.

He said they were hunting on his land... actually looks like they were hunting nearby and just were trying to retrieve a dog that got off property.

He makes a connection morally about using GPS to keep track of dogs and an assumption that it is unethical not to "be right with your dogs." There is no logic there, and again highlights he is making judgments on a culture he knows nothing about- which of course is the ultimate unethical thing to do for a progressive- unless it's making judgments against a conservative, rural, American culture.

I have no idea if they were as rude and confrontational as he claimed. I doubt it, but obviously don't know. I've been in the human behavior business for many years.... and it's been my experience when someone feels victimized, they almost always exaggerate the way they were treated.

Now that said... a couple lessons for all of us.... contact neighbors the day before a hunt, introduce yourself, let them know you will be hunting nearby and while it is not your intent, it occasionally happens that a hound gets out of pocket. Tell them that on the rare occasion that happens, if they see some lights- explain it is just someone trying to get their dog off their property as soon as possible.

Secondly..... DO NOT publish youtube videos to the public of game being shot and killed, or chewed on by a hound. It is your right, you may not care what people think.... but realize most people are not familiar with hound hunting (even other hunters) and will equate what we do morally with dog fighting. Videos of us killing game or animals being chewed on and killed by our hounds do us no favors.

Last edited by houndsound on 08-23-2021 at 02:13 PM

Old Post 08-23-2021 02:08 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

Reach out to the guy

I used to watch this guy's video's because we also raise ducks. He receives fan mail and encourages his viewers to send him mail. Why not send him a positive letter explaining coon hunting and why we do what we do? I'd say it's worth a shot and while it may not change his mind, he may at least see that most of us are reasonable and peaceable. He may even share this with his many viewers.

Old Post 08-23-2021 02:51 PM
Andy Music is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Music Click here to Send Andy Music a Private Message Find more posts by Andy Music Add Andy Music to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

That's a tough situation to be in all around. I would like to hear the other side(s) of this story for sure. The fact remains there are way more against hunting with hounds than for it, and videos like this don't help, regardless of whether the poster has any knowledge of what they're talking about. There's a group of people that are going to agree with everything he says just because they like his ducks and geese. What he doesn't understand (and probably never will) is this just happens sometimes. No different than "Toby dog" jumping out of his pen and going across the road to his neighbor's house and eating the cat food and crapping in the flower bed! No one wants it to happen, but we fix the problem, apologize for the inconvenience, make the necessary changes to avoid future problems, and move on. I'm sure those hunters didn't want to be there any more than he didn't want them there. Again, I'd like to hear the other side(s).

Old Post 08-23-2021 03:09 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Andy I think that would be a waste of time on this man. He already has his mental picture and opinion of hunters. Are you really from Kentucky? You sure have a different approach than most of the ole Kaintucky boys I know.

Old Post 08-23-2021 03:12 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Its been a problem where i live for a long time in Tenn.The days of hunting deep hunting hounds has been over for me many years.Ive coon hunted mt currs the last 25 yrs because i can keep them hunting close.I have a nice bluetick male now i can control and im enjoying him.Its going to get worse.The people that s ruined states like California ,New York etc.have alot of money and will be moving South.Then theyll ruin it here.ha.I dont like getting old but appreciate living imy life in better times.

Old Post 08-23-2021 03:19 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I’ve been saying for years that hound men and women need to get good at public relations with private property owners and the general public.

Sadly, to many “Sportsmen” have the attitude hunting/fishing/trapping are inaliable rights. They’re not, with perhaps exception for Native Americans on tribal lands.

Hunting, fishing, trapping and the free casting of hounds and bird dogs is well in the sights of the anti’s. We all need to stand together and fight this battle wisely.

Choose words wisely when you speak of what you do when hunting. Leave your cameras and cell phones home if you can’t resist posting pics and videos on public media where you loose all control of what is done with it after you touch the submit button!

Old Post 08-23-2021 03:20 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Around here you can public relate all you want with poor results.People dont want you on their land.They dont even want you walking up and knocking on their door for permission to hunt or anything else.And thats people that do understand the hunting way of life.Stealing and crime ,vandalism have people not trusting anyone.Only people that know me well and for a long time will let me hunt.Im down to mostly hunting public land.One of my best public spots has a middle eastern family moved in thats bordering it.They come out and shoot guns if you even get near their place.What would they do if you got on it.Im gonna hunt as long as i can.I hope others have it better than me.

Old Post 08-23-2021 04:00 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pollard_247
UKC Forum Member

I understand the not wanting trespassers I’ve dealt with them before but to get that bent out of shape over the first incident is crazy.Heck another thing is the cell cameras every deer hunter has including myself. My dog struck a track last night drove it straight to a guys greenfield that I know has a feeder and probably a camera so I toned her back in too me just part of it sometimes.

Old Post 08-23-2021 04:32 PM
Pollard_247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollard_247 Click here to Send Pollard_247 a Private Message Click Here to Email Pollard_247 Find more posts by Pollard_247 Add Pollard_247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Andy I think that would be a waste of time on this man. He already has his mental picture and opinion of hunters. Are you really from Kentucky? You sure have a different approach than most of the ole Kaintucky boys I know.

Yes sir Kentucky born and raised. And yes I have hunted with a few men in there wilder days may very well have whooped this guy.
I just figured it be worth a shot.

Proverbs 25:21 & 22
21If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. 22For in so doing, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the LORD will reward you

Old Post 08-23-2021 05:07 PM
Andy Music is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Music Click here to Send Andy Music a Private Message Find more posts by Andy Music Add Andy Music to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

A lot of this guys problem is that he does not understand... it might be worth inviting the guy to go along and show him there is another side... the worst that could happen is he tell you to get off his property and he’s already done that.

Old Post 08-23-2021 05:25 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JB Cobb
A lot of this guys problem is that he does not understand... it might be worth inviting the guy to go along and show him there is another side... the worst that could happen is he tell you to get off his property and he’s already done that.
I have actually done this several times with positive results and one of them had pulled a gun on me. Seemed like a good time to be nice and it worked.

Old Post 08-23-2021 05:53 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Music
Yes sir Kentucky born and raised. And yes I have hunted with a few men in there wilder days may very well have whooped this guy.
I just figured it be worth a shot.

Proverbs 25:21 & 22
21If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. 22For in so doing, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the LORD will reward you

Great post.

Old Post 08-23-2021 07:28 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeb
Around here you can public relate all you want with poor results.People dont want you on their land.They dont even want you walking up and knocking on their door for permission to hunt or anything else.And thats people that do understand the hunting way of life.Stealing and crime ,vandalism have people not trusting anyone.Only people that know me well and for a long time will let me hunt.Im down to mostly hunting public land.One of my best public spots has a middle eastern family moved in thats bordering it.They come out and shoot guns if you even get near their place.What would they do if you got on it.Im gonna hunt as long as i can.I hope others have it better than me.

Here in Wyoming same thing. Something changed in the mentality of landowners over the past 25 years. Some places that let me coon hunt years ago when I was a kid- won't even return my calls today. Much of our decent coon hunting has been bought up by Out of State folks.... and they won't even consider letting you coon hunt. There is this really weird attitude I get from land owners- like they are defending a fortress and anyone is an enemy at the gate.

I used to offer to help do ranch chores, buy gift cards around Holiday's, etc.... but it falls on deaf ears now. Almost nobody here has heard of coon hunting with hounds so the request is very foreign to them and they are really apprehensive.

I think preserving our sport long term will require us to better partner with the State to have well managed and accessible public parks, forests, etc... available for coon hunters.

Last edited by houndsound on 08-23-2021 at 07:38 PM

Old Post 08-23-2021 07:34 PM
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Houndsound

Old Post 08-23-2021 07:40 PM
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Houndsound is correct the bottom line either you own land or have permission to hunt on it or lease it get used to it folks the good old days are long gone in many areas and those who don't realize this are just making it harder in everyone else

Old Post 08-23-2021 08:44 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

I run hounds and I also live on a non working family farm.So I have been on both sides of these situations. Believe me as a land owner, do not try to tell me how to set the rules on my own land. As a guy running dogs when approached in that situation I am polite and do as the land owner asks. I also have been on a UKC nite hunt and had guide take us land he had no permission to be on and was run off . To make it worse he wanted to go back on his property later that nite. Many of you are conservatives in political belief and should respect a landowners rite to run his property as he sees fit.

Old Post 08-23-2021 08:50 PM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Albert Fulton
I run hounds and I also live on a non working family farm.So I have been on both sides of these situations. Believe me as a land owner, do not try to tell me how to set the rules on my own land. As a guy running dogs when approached in that situation I am polite and do as the land owner asks. I also have been on a UKC nite hunt and had guide take us land he had no permission to be on and was run off . To make it worse he wanted to go back on his property later that nite. Many of you are conservatives in political belief and should respect a landowners rite to run his property as he sees fit.

You are 100% right! As houndsmen, we are walking a fine line in this day and time when fewer and fewer people understand our sport of pursuing game with hounds.

I suspect this may have happened on a recent UKC Hunt out of a club I was once a member of. I know the current club president who is doing a heck of a job of bringing this club back to life.

I’ve sent him an email asking about it. If I find out who the property owner is I’ll try to see if I can visit him and paint a bit of a different picture for him of the way true houndsmen conduct themselves. Like it or not folks we live in a different day that requires us to adjust to the times. Especially when we are at the mercy of private land owners for places to free cast our hounds!

Old Post 08-24-2021 03:09 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
You are 100% right! As houndsmen, we are walking a fine line in this day and time when fewer and fewer people understand our sport of pursuing game with hounds.

I suspect this may have happened on a recent UKC Hunt out of a club I was once a member of. I know the current club president who is doing a heck of a job of bringing this club back to life.

I’ve sent him an email asking about it. If I find out who the property owner is I’ll try to see if I can visit him and paint a bit of a different picture for him of the way true houndsmen conduct themselves. Like it or not folks we live in a different day that requires us to adjust to the times. Especially when we are at the mercy of private land owners for places to free cast our hounds!

X2, gone are the days of care free hunting for miles without a posted sign. We all have lost hunting ground to new owners that do not want any hunting on their land. All we can do is find new ground and respect the wishes of those who do not want us on their land, what choices do we have. I own land myself and definitely want to know who's on my land at all times. I always have the land owners permission on all the land I coon hunt on. Should my dogs get on posted ground, I ask permission to retrieve my dogs without any problems. Dave

Old Post 08-24-2021 08:12 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

For a long time now In my area when a big farm sells theyll ussually divide it into smaller tracts.Puts the hurt on hunting.

Old Post 08-24-2021 02:31 PM
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

For a long time now In my area when a big farm sells theyll ussually divide it into smaller tracts.Puts the hurt on hunting.

Old Post 08-24-2021 02:31 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Hound Hunters in Northern New England take notice..

We’re in trouble! This guy is adamant about ending hunting with hounds. Money apparently is no issue for him.

We have been getting shut down by private property owners little by little for years now. COVID drove the wealthy folks out of the city and they’re buying up large parcels of land, posting it and now joining the antis who want to outlaw hunting.

Now more than ever before we need to become diplomats and wise communicators. I doubt we have money enough to turn the tide. Our best bet is to become educators, diplomats and most of all wise about what we say and how we conduct our business with private property owners and as users of public forest lands.

Telling people we’ll do as we dxxn well please will get us nowhere!! We have to learn how to do a good job of public relations, policing our own numbers and being respectful in our dealings with those who don’t understand hunting with hounds.

Like it or not we’re in for a fight to continue doing what we love to do.

Check this out.

The guy that owns these bear hounds lives 10 miles from me. I run hare with my beagles not far from here. My best friend is unknowingly coon hunting this area tonight. Hope his hounds don’t get on this guys property.

https://youtu.be/4LDqBfRmrtg

Old Post 09-08-2021 03:10 AM
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

Hat tip to Butch... he handled that perfectly. His actions opened up this guys eyes just a little bit, he will always be against hunting and that’s ok but now he sees there is another side to the coin. I have a feeling with a little more conversation He will allow Butch to retrieve his hounds without issue in the future. The landowner will most likely never approve but at least he now has an understanding...

Old Post 09-08-2021 02:34 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote