UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rules on thermal image monocular in hunts?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
J.R.__Ratliff
UKC Forum Member

Rules on thermal image monocular in hunts?

What is the rules on it? Will they be allowed in the near future? I know alot is against it, cause they are expensive. Here is how I look at it, it is a lot like a tool for job. Times are changing like said about tools. Years ago it was just a ratchet and socket, now of days it's a lot quicker with battery powered impact. So if your going to be doing it for a while and want to be quicker use the most up-to-date tools. So is thermal using going to be in the near future?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-16-2021 01:36 PM
J.R.__Ratliff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.R.__Ratliff Click here to Send J.R.__Ratliff a Private Message Click Here to Email J.R.__Ratliff Visit J.R.__Ratliff's homepage! Find more posts by J.R.__Ratliff Add J.R.__Ratliff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trevor / UKC
Administrator

As of today, it is a scratching offense to use a thermal in an event.

Next year is a rule change year so it could very well get changed. Be sure you get in touch with your breed associations in advance to let your voice be heard if you feel strongly one way or another as they will be voting on it at Oaks next year (assuming a rule change is submitted).

Old Post 09-16-2021 06:12 PM
Trevor / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trevor / UKC Click here to Send Trevor / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Trevor / UKC Find more posts by Trevor / UKC Add Trevor / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rules on thermal image monocular in hunts?

quote:
Originally posted by J.R.__Ratliff
What is the rules on it? Will they be allowed in the near future? I know alot is against it, cause they are expensive. Here is how I look at it, it is a lot like a tool for job. Times are changing like said about tools. Years ago it was just a ratchet and socket, now of days it's a lot quicker with battery powered impact. So if your going to be doing it for a while and want to be quicker use the most up-to-date tools. So is thermal using going to be in the near future?
So are you saying we need to shorten the shine time?

Old Post 09-16-2021 06:55 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.R.__Ratliff
UKC Forum Member

Speed it up on finding it. I'd like to see them and keep shine time like it is. But if find it quick it's Speeds up every thing.

Old Post 09-16-2021 07:08 PM
J.R.__Ratliff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.R.__Ratliff Click here to Send J.R.__Ratliff a Private Message Click Here to Email J.R.__Ratliff Visit J.R.__Ratliff's homepage! Find more posts by J.R.__Ratliff Add J.R.__Ratliff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondogedog
UKC Forum Member

Thermal unit.

Everyone can’t afford one of them. Only the wealthy can own one?

Old Post 09-21-2021 12:08 PM
coondogedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogedog Click here to Send coondogedog a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogedog Find more posts by coondogedog Add coondogedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

If you can afford a dog these days you can afford a thermal. $10k-$30K for a dog put me out of the game!!

God only knows who we'd be without soldiers and Jesus.

Rack'em Up Willy pup
--County Line's Rammy(Rambo)

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy
*UKC win Friday night Red Bone days 2021
BnT TREE BANGIN BUFFORD the start of it all

Old Post 09-21-2021 04:32 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thermal unit.

quote:
Originally posted by coondogedog
Everyone can’t afford one of them. Only the wealthy can own one?

Bull pucky i'm along ways from being rich and i own one. with the amount of money a guy spends on dogs,entries,hotel and running up and down the road the average guy can afford a thermal 700-3000 will get you a thermal a good one is 1200

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 09-21-2021 09:48 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoggyBayouBlues
UKC Forum Member

Might as well let Hunters Tree their Dog's with their Garmin two miles away too!

Old Post 09-22-2021 06:17 PM
LoggyBayouBlues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LoggyBayouBlues Click here to Send LoggyBayouBlues a Private Message Click Here to Email LoggyBayouBlues Find more posts by LoggyBayouBlues Add LoggyBayouBlues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by LoggyBayouBlues
Might as well let Hunters Tree their Dog's with their Garmin two miles away too!

They already do! And strike them too

Old Post 09-22-2021 07:26 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Let em tree with a garmin, that thing lies so much they'll
never end up with plus points. Lol

Old Post 09-22-2021 10:24 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tillery
UKC Forum Member

I have a hard time understanding why some folks are against thermals being used. To me, they are just another tool to help find the coon in a tree. Just like your hunting light is a tool. Not everyone can afford the same kind of light, boots, chaps, collars, leads, trucks, dog boxes, dog feed, or other hunting equipment as the next guy. So why is price the common argument? If a dog trees a coon, we should be able to use all available tools to locate the coon. Once located with the thermal, if the majority of the cast can then physically see the coon with the naked eye, plus it and continue the hunt.

Thermals aren't foolproof, sometimes the coon will be found by eye that can't be seen with the thermal but a lot of times you will see the thermal signature within just a few seconds of looking and can then pin point where to spend your shine time looking for fur. I'm not advocating that we actually score a tree based strictly on what is seen (or not seen) with a thermal, but I do believe their use would have a positive impact on UKC nite hunts.

Old Post 09-22-2021 10:55 PM
Tillery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tillery Click here to Send Tillery a Private Message Click Here to Email Tillery Find more posts by Tillery Add Tillery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Mirrors are really cheap, what's the reason for not using them?

Old Post 09-23-2021 01:04 AM
Rick St.Clair is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jared Wilgus
UKC Forum Member

People against it answer me this…why should we be able to use a squaller if we can’t use a thermal?? Both are a tool or device to help us in locating a raccoon in a tree. Why do we use a squaller? In order to get the raccoon to look at us in a sense so we can + the points. Why does my dog get condemned if it did the exact same thing as your dog and maybe even perhaps a better job, and the raccoon just clearly doesn’t look because it doesn’t want to. These hunts have a lot to do with luck and catching the breaks I understand that, but isn’t it supposed to be about the best in the cast the winner? The thermal is absolutely enhancing the probability of the best dog winning the cast and takes away the probability of my dog treeing a coon just as yours did, but not being able to + my points because my raccoon didn’t look to get scored. This time of year a lot of trees are getting circled because of the leaves and it’s hard to tell if there is an animal in the tree at all. Why am I getting circled just because my raccoon doesn’t look down from the squaller just as the dog that got circled that has absolutely nothing in its tree? Some may call that a bad break. If that bad break can be eliminated in to help the best dog in the cast win, why wouldn’t we do so? Just my food for thought, which may not be worth much.

Old Post 09-23-2021 02:09 AM
Jared Wilgus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jared Wilgus Click here to Send Jared Wilgus a Private Message Click Here to Email Jared Wilgus Find more posts by Jared Wilgus Add Jared Wilgus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Hard to argue with that

Old Post 09-23-2021 07:05 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote