UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Treeing dog on a locate opinion
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

Treeing dog on a locate opinion

Reading the scratch thread got me to thinking. What is your opinion on treeing a dog on a locate? If I am not mistaken the rules award points for treeing and tracking. So what is a locate? As the judge do you accept a tree call on a locate? I understand that to some this is a fine line, as for myself I am not afraid to state my opinion. I lost my first cast of SETWD this year because my dog was locating seconds before the end of the hunt, and I would not call her treed. Yes she was treed with the coon when we got there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-07-2019 01:53 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

All dogs are different, some check trees while giving a locate. Some never have much of a locate and some only locate when they are treed. I think most people like a dog that has a big deep easy to call locate and only give it when they have picked the tree they staying on. I have called dogs treed before they even finish the bark many times. It all depends on the situation as to if you call them on it.

As far as the judge taking the call, I would say as long as they can hear the dog, they have to take the call. If the dog isn’t treed , it needs to be judged that way. I’ve seen some dogs that give a “locate” and they continue to use that same bark as the tree bark and never roll it over into a chop.

Old Post 06-07-2019 02:06 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

If you know your dog well enough to tree off a locate do so. Keep in mind some of these slick handlers just by hearing your dog one time if your not careful will tree theirs off your dogs locate . Stealing first tree. Chances we must take. That’s what the 2 minutes is for.

Old Post 06-07-2019 02:25 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

Just learn the rules and don't get to thinking about what you read on here to much.

Old Post 06-07-2019 02:45 PM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
millerthehound
UKC Forum Member

I believe that is a personnel choice for each handler. However it is also part of comp hunting to know your dog and trust your dog. If you have put the time in and know your dog well enough to tree them on there locate I say go for it. Now for the slick handlers who like to pitch there dog on somebody else's dogs locate I love when they do that because it will get them burnt more times then none that is for sure.

Home of
GRNITECH'GRCH'PR' Buster's Ugly Nite Angel HTX
2015 World Hunt and Show Qualifier
2014 Grand American Double Cast Winner
2014 World Qualifier
'PR' High Sierra's Heavenly Atlas
'PR' High Sierra's Crystal Lake Kraken
2019 World Hunt Qualifier
'PR' High Sierra's Peppermint Candy
'PR' Tiffany's Spicy Red Pepper (RedBone she isnt mine)
'PR' High Sierra's Stonecold Medusa
'PR' Miller's Ticked-Up Titan( RIP)

Old Post 06-07-2019 03:21 PM
millerthehound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for millerthehound Click here to Send millerthehound a Private Message Click Here to Email millerthehound Find more posts by millerthehound Add millerthehound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

If you had to have that coon to win the cast, you lost it for the dog ..

Needing a coon, seconds winding down, dog locates - simple call.. Tree that sucker..

Your up, odn't need the coon, lay back and take 2nd if someone else pitches their dog..

My .02 worth from a very inexperienced handler.

Old Post 06-07-2019 03:27 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I wish that I had a dog that I could tree on a locate. I have only had 2 in my lifetime. Of course, you can tree your dog anytime that you want to but he/she better not move after you tree it.

The question should be, can you tree your dog off another dog's locate? That is what will fire up a cast. Especially if the judge is the one that does it.

Old Post 06-07-2019 03:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

you can tree your dog on a locate as long as it don't shut up and move to a different location and locate again. it gotta stay put. simple as that.. jmo

Old Post 06-07-2019 03:36 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

locate

I wasn't a competition hunter, but my dog had one of the best locates I've ever heard on a dog! He sounded like he stepped in a trap when he located. That's probably the best way to describe it. Placed him 8th at Walker Days in the mid-nineties and on the cast a dog was split treed from him, and left the tree, when he let out that locate, and came treed.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 06-07-2019 03:52 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

My current hound can be treed on two locates. That is when he locates with one then immediately another, he's treed and not going anywhere. But he will give out single locates and occasionally more than one on tap trees but they will never be close together. Like someone said you have to know your dog and everyone is a little different.

Old Post 06-07-2019 04:23 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

I dont understand

I'm not so sure I understand what is being asked. As a judge you are required to judge that dog. If you want to tree your dog tree it, if it's running wide open still and the judge recognizes it you take a minus. If they are treed then you go score it. I don't care if yours stubs it's toe and you want to tree it, go for it. Ill start the two and judge that dog for the remainder of the time. On the other side of it the judge should take that call. It's not their job to not take the call but rather judge the dog.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 06-07-2019 07:31 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Is their another way to treem aside from a locate ?
A locate is a prerequisite !!

Old Post 06-07-2019 07:32 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

I guess it boils down to this. Is a locate treeing, by definition?

Old Post 06-07-2019 07:56 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ssgied
I guess it boils down to this. Is a locate treeing, by definition?

Does it matter? Again I don't see where this is going? Not being rude in any way but what if my dog doesn't have a locate and is chop mouth all the way and I tree her at the end of the hunt? How would you know she's not treed until you walk in there and prove it? You have to take my call, and you have to go score it as long as the two doesn't catch me.