UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Happy Thanksgiving to ----
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Happy Thanksgiving to ----

those that have and are Serving the USA so I could enjoy the hunt of the Raccoon this pass week.

Little history of this 70 year old kid. Had my first dog when I was 1, my first hound when I was 5 and my first papered hound when I was 13. I have followed hounds after bear, coon, fox and coyotes and had beagles for chasing rabbits. Went to a 1 room school house, lived on a farm until I was 19 with one of those farms not having running water or electricity. Farmed with horses and worked on a threshing machine crew as a teenager. Have worked for nothing to having worked for $44.00 an hour. Made it though high school thanks to my hounds is as far as I went.

So I have seen the world and it's changes and lost friends in Wars. Have made may new friends though these old biscuit eaters. And I can tell you that some of my best times where home cook meals on those days out with the threshing machine. Some of the warmest nights where in that house without electricity around that wood stove. And the best days' have been working a pup into a well balance hound.

Which brings us to this past week. I got to take a pup that will be 12 years old next March that I trained, well really just hunted he was a natural from birth, and listen to his bawls as he opens on an old feed track and work it though a creek, over logs, into a corn field and then back into the woods. Got to hear those long locates and then as he goes and circles the tree to be sure comes back and hits it with those chops. I have to say, for me, I'm glad that's one "change" I didn't fall for over these past years in hounds. The best part too, for this kid and the pup, is that it happens usually with in a half mile of the truck. Now it could be because of my education or up bringing, but could someone tell me what am I missing by not hunting these tight mouth, go until treed hounds that don't get you home until 2AM?? Old Zach and me hit the woods about 7, we tree around 2 to 5 and are home, showered and able to watch the 10 O'clock News. From what I see on these score cards for the number of coon scored, the pup isn't doing to bad. (wink-wink)

Have fun and enjoy your families.
OT

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-26-2020 03:40 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Enjoyed your post, and no, you ain't missing anything. If I was closer, I'd ask for a hunt. Have a good Thanksgiving

Old Post 11-26-2020 03:59 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Old Timer

Enjoyed reading your post both times! Brings back a lot of memories of my home life. Must be what OLD TIMERS have the best of. You take good care of Zack and make many more memories.

HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGING!!

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 11-26-2020 04:21 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

U ain’t missing a thing. What you have will be desired again. It still is desired by many folks

Old Post 11-26-2020 04:38 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Happy Thanksgiving Old Timer...

You’re missing about 18,000 steps give or take a couple thousand lol

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 11-27-2020 05:19 AM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Thumbs up Old Timer.

been there too but never got to work for $44 an hour!
if these old hounds I have cannot tree of catch one in an hour it is time to catch them up and they better do it in less than a 1/2 mile.
I did get a Garmin Pro 550 plus.. tells me all I need to know when my ears cannot hear them.. ( That is not very far!)

Old Post 11-27-2020 01:42 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boondok Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Less steps

I guess I’m an old timer too, if treeing one less than a mile is what I like...and my dog does it. 😁

*Buck Creek Fancy
*Buck Creek Rambler
*Ch Blaster's Big Roller...RIP
*Buck Creek Sugie...RIP
*GrNiteCh Buck Creek Hitler...RIP

Old Post 11-27-2020 09:05 PM
Boondok Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boondok Kennels Click here to Send Boondok Kennels a Private Message Find more posts by Boondok Kennels Add Boondok Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote