UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > keeping dogs on their toes???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

keeping dogs on their toes???

be the first to admit do things different than most the way i hunt, some things right some wrong. mostly freecast but turn out on every box strike that can from proven strike dogs and do some road hunting running the dogs with vehicle. also love to hunt mornings in daylight when can and even turn loose middle of the day several times of year.

hunting day has helped me make the more intelligent dogs bomb proof and trash free. day hunting more likely to not get anything going a good percentage of time compared to trash dog comes across. carry binos when hunting daylight and everyone of my dogs has gotten level 6 hint when tree for sure not right. have treed a bunch of coon, dens, brush piles, holes, ect during daylight but have had a ton of dry runs and trash breaking lessons as well. i also big game hunt when can so big part why train during daylight.

to be clear im not implying anything about comp hunting with slick trees and trashing. all that can happen in every kind of hunting and ive chased as trashy and slick treeing dogs as anyone.

does anyone else particulary comp hunters mix things up with style dog is hunted? do you think hunting dogs from time to time that way would benefit hound or just hunt the dog hard same time frame and scenario as a hunt would be???

not looking for pissing match but honest opinions. im constantly trying to evolve and hunt smart.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-04-2015 09:15 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hope he trees
UKC Forum Member

Matt,

I'm not a comp hunter.. I'm a pleasure hunter, farmer, and father of 4 young kids... I hunt nights when I can, but quite regularly something goes wrong at the farm or home and I hunt early mornings or Sunday during the day. I have had mediocre luck treeing coon , but phenomenal luck in seeing what young dogs are up to.. I cant say if it is right or wrong, but your not the only one doing it... I will keep you posted on my results

Old Post 10-05-2015 01:35 AM
hope he trees is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hope he trees Click here to Send hope he trees a Private Message Find more posts by hope he trees Add hope he trees to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronnie H
UKC Forum Member

I think every way that you can mix your hunting style helps your hound to improve his hunting ability and it brings out the smarts that are in the hound. In the summer after I have started young hounds in the cooler part of the year.I switch from walking my hounds to hunting out of a boat,much like roading them . I sure think that a change helps them become more well rounded hunter.

Last edited by Ronnie H on 10-05-2015 at 10:44 PM

Old Post 10-05-2015 09:21 PM
Ronnie H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronnie H Click here to Send Ronnie H a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronnie H Find more posts by Ronnie H Add Ronnie H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

enjoyed the replies! im trying to train and hunt well rounded dogs as well. ive jumped at every opportunity to hunt other areas, styles, and other game much as possible. shows a guy the big picture what is really out there for hound dogs in general.

Old Post 10-06-2015 08:21 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote