UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > stupid pup problems.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

stupid pup problems.

hunted sky tonight (bout 11 months old) and dropped her in places where to most likely hit a coon track would have to go roughly a mile away and go through some deer infested areas and plenty of yotes and other trash. havent had trash problem with her (im sure thats coming yet). most sky's single hunting has been closer to where should be action and when hunt her with either or both old dogs she's so competitive blows out like rocket up her butt no matter where hunted or whats around for trash. she has luckilly taken to coon easy, tracks and trees great. im not stupid and been around ton of trashy dogs and know that could change at anytime. been lucky so far.

have problem with her not cleaning out before hunting and ive been letting her run loose and tieing up around the place before loading up. when solo hunting she usually monkeys around a couple minutes taking care of business then goes out hunting but wasting more time than i like. with another dog she goes right away but several times have went into first tree where smell bout knocks you over. LOL. she is kenneled in toecutter design above ground kennel most the time. gonna try changing dog food but think its more being excited when knows going hunting doesnt empty out.

other problem she showed tonight on couple drops when going hunting stopped and messed around growling like a guard dog while still in hearing. never got further than 300-400yds on them drops. she is nicest dog you ever been around never growled at anything but sounded serious tonight. very well could of been coyotes or anything else out there but have had bunch of runs with yotes howling in every direction and never done this growling before. in the past had 3 dogs stop on garmin one night and when finally got to them was deer tangled in bunch of wire stuck in beaver dam in creek. those dogs never barked just sat there growling. reminded me of way dumb pup sounded tonight but once got up there nothing seen or heard.

she hunted, tracked, treed perfect on only one run tonight. rest of the night the wierd issues above but im sure will get worked through soon. any advice or opinions on issues, im all ears. thanks, matt.

sky and single.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-08-2015 08:22 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Just keep hunting her, sounds like she is coming along fine.

Old Post 10-09-2015 05:08 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGCASTLEDAWGS
UKC Forum Member

GROWLING...

.... WELL... I woulda turned around and run for the truck! lol...

I always hated being here alone and having one of the huge greyhounds or a big old coonhound start to grumble... I would be sure a big killer was at the door. Out in the dark another story... I"m a baby. If I was with a man hunting fine. BUT... not alone! I had 2 scares here at home that made me BELIEVE the dawgs. #1 was yrs ago. My 95 lb greyhound and I walking around after dark(No Bob back then to keep me safe).... well he started to grumble, hackles up and the stood straight up on hind legs, looking like an egyptian sculpture. Greyhounds do that to be TALLER than the "prey"or enemy they face so I was ready to wet my pants. Turned on my light and was a few yards from the big hybrid yote who lived in our area... BIG one, 100 lbs or so... but luckily I KNEW it and it was not aggressive. We survived. #2 was the time I took the grey out on the road after dark and he was carrying a stuffed coontoy in his mouth making it squeak etc..but he dropped it and was on a scent so I went along till I grunted the coonbelly and something grunted back in the woods... the dogs hackles went up, he stood up and then turned tail... dragging me home! LOL... I always assumed it was a buck... till we saw bear tracks around the place and I heard a video of a bear grunting... I would have died in my tracks! LOL...
I tend to think coonhounds and greyhounds save a growl for a real thing usually.... I think that deer stuck in the wire might count? lol Wonder what it was out there this time? They are very protective of their humans.
I bet she will settle down in the future with the elimination issues........
Keep her working... she is doing pretty well for ya!
HappyHunting, Heather

Old Post 10-09-2015 11:05 PM
BIGCASTLEDAWGS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIGCASTLEDAWGS Click here to Send BIGCASTLEDAWGS a Private Message Find more posts by BIGCASTLEDAWGS Add BIGCASTLEDAWGS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

dang heather, im gonna be scared to go hunting tomorrow night now!!! LOL.

Old Post 10-13-2015 07:21 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGCASTLEDAWGS
UKC Forum Member

LOL!

quote:
Originally posted by mnb&t
dang heather, im gonna be scared to go hunting tomorrow night now!!! LOL.

No you wont... you are NOT a big baby like me... or you wouldn't go out there alone... SHudder!

lol

Old Post 10-13-2015 03:55 PM
BIGCASTLEDAWGS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIGCASTLEDAWGS Click here to Send BIGCASTLEDAWGS a Private Message Find more posts by BIGCASTLEDAWGS Add BIGCASTLEDAWGS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote