UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Need some advice
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Need some advice

Got a two year old female that's been getting better with age. But she has ran into a snag. If she strikes and runs a track, she trees on it pretty good and will stay. But here lately it's like she has been trying to tree layups. She continuously locate up and never pick a tree. I've been able to go in, find the coon, tie her to the tree. But it's getting old. She done this on five trees in a row. So last night, instead of walking in, I let her locate for over an hour to see if she would ever fall tree but she never did. I finally just called her out. I'm guessing going in and helping her find the tree is all I can do but I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-06-2015 03:42 PM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

I would run her outta there and make her find something she can tree ,,

Old Post 10-07-2015 03:50 AM
Darrell Eads is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darrell Eads Click here to Send Darrell Eads a Private Message Click Here to Email Darrell Eads Find more posts by Darrell Eads Add Darrell Eads to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

Around here we call them "Tree Leaners".... It's fairly common. But I can't stand it. In my opinion, if a dog throws a locate, he dang sure outta be D.O.N.E. , even if it's slick, has a coon or whatever.

I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but I'd rather walk to a slick tree than have a dog get down off a tree and leave. That just curls my blood as much as anything.

However, ALL dogs will struggle on some tracks and on some nights and look silly. The difference is whether they start making it a habit. Every dog owner has a tolerance level on how much silliness you can put up with. But when my tolerance meter pegs out, they are G.O.N.E.

Gosh, I re-read what I wrote and I sound like Professor Justin Smith giving hound advise. I'm gonna go take my medicine now.

Good luck with your dog... Maybe knocking coons out this season will help some.

Old Post 10-07-2015 02:48 PM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

She's scent treeing if she is staying in one place. Now if she is moving all around under several trees just locating here and there that's a different problem. Some hounds like to tree where the best sent is coming off the tree and will have the meat. Unfortunately this will kill you in nite hunts even if they are under the canopy of the tree. Others in the cast will vote she's off the tree..... I'd take a switch to her to make her move on or call her off and continue hunting in a new area. That doesn't work I'd lay her up. Also really pet her up if she does get back on the wood.....
Meat hunters would love her. She'll put a lot of coon on the racks....

Old Post 10-07-2015 03:16 PM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

Yep what Skidiver said. If she's under a coon and just not picking a tree, you got something good to work with that will prolly get better with experience.

In my first post I assumed she was roaming around locating tither and fro on lots of trees. That's a "Treeleaner" and the kind that drive me crazy.

Those are two different things.

Old Post 10-07-2015 03:29 PM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. She's not leaving, once she locates, she stays. Also, she's accurate. If she's there so is the coon. I guess my aggravation comes in because I would really like to title her and I know what kind of grief I would get in the hunts. One for not staying treed and I wouldn't doubt someone would accuse her of being silent. Which she is far from. Since 18 months she has been pretty dang good. I didn't really hunt this summer and since starting back she's been doing this layup wind locating/treeing stuff.

Anyone ever have a good layup dog? Is this how they started?

Old Post 10-07-2015 10:05 PM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

agree with darrell.

how often do you hunt her? how many nights hunted or left at home in between them 5 scenarios?

Old Post 10-08-2015 08:12 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

I've only been out once or twice a week the last few weeks. I'll start going more when it cools a bit and our kill season opens.

Old Post 10-08-2015 12:01 PM