UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Finding coons
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
b&t_4_life
UKC Forum Member

Finding coons

I'm am trying to get a year uglystick pup straightened out. He is getting tree happy. He will tree on trees right in front of me 4 to 5 times per hunt. Hardly any tracking at all. I feel as if 90% if not more are completely slick. But with leaves on the trees it is hard to tell for sure. He made 4 trees the other night and didn't even cover 300 yards. 1st tree was a den the 2nd I believe was slick he left the 3rd tree when we got there and treed the 4th time. This time he actually had the coon. But even squall in the coon didn't look I just so happen to see his eyes once. The next time I took him he treed 5 times, didn't cover more than 400 yards and never seen anything. He did run a possum in the ground at the end. I need help bad!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-30-2015 11:35 PM
b&t_4_life is offline Click Here to See the Profile for b&t_4_life Click here to Send b&t_4_life a Private Message Click Here to Email b&t_4_life Find more posts by b&t_4_life Add b&t_4_life to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronnie H
UKC Forum Member

Here are a few things to look at. Right now we have a good kitten coon crop,that's good but kittens play alot and a good berry crop Muscadines, Elderberries, and Persimmons coming on now so that means climbing up and down trees checking the food out. From what you say the pup has alot of natural ability so if you wait a few days when things settle down and the leaves start to fall and you can see that the tree is blank without spending to much around the tree then start to correct him.

Old Post 08-31-2015 05:57 PM
Ronnie H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronnie H Click here to Send Ronnie H a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronnie H Find more posts by Ronnie H Add Ronnie H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremypersinger
UKC Forum Member

It's a full moon too could be treeing squirrels

Jeremy persinger
central wv

Old Post 08-31-2015 08:32 PM
jeremypersinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeremypersinger Click here to Send jeremypersinger a Private Message Find more posts by jeremypersinger Add jeremypersinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Frederick
UKC Forum Member

Full moon dry conditions ,,,,bad tracking give him time

Old Post 08-31-2015 08:43 PM
Jim Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Frederick Click here to Send Jim Frederick a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Frederick Add Jim Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crusader
UKC Forum Member

If the dog is a year old and treeing that many slicks.I would get rid of him and start over with something else.I don't mean selling him!

Old Post 08-31-2015 10:41 PM
crusader is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crusader Click here to Send crusader a Private Message Click Here to Email crusader Find more posts by crusader Add crusader to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JWKING
UKC Forum Member

Had a bluetick like that years ago. He was scared to death another dog was going to tree before he did. Hunt your dog with a dog that will not back him on a slick if he pulls up short get his attention and send him on. Me and a friend hunted that bluetick alone. He would tree every 50 yards we would take turns getting his attention then send him on. After about 6 trees he decided he would get under a coon that night. Long story short after a few weeks of getting his ATTENTION he made a pretty nice hound. I wouldn't give up on the pup just yet. We done that in the winter , no leaves so we could check tree quickly.

Old Post 09-01-2015 11:31 PM
JWKING is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JWKING Click here to Send JWKING a Private Message Click Here to Email JWKING Find more posts by JWKING Add JWKING to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black LICK
UKC Forum Member

He's a pup! Just give him time....praise when he does tree a coon and kind of ignore the puppy stuff....enjoy the puppy I bet he will make you proud in a few short months Good Luck

Old Post 09-02-2015 01:49 AM
Black LICK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black LICK Click here to Send Black LICK a Private Message Find more posts by Black LICK Add Black LICK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
b&t_4_life
UKC Forum Member

I really appreciate all the advice. I took him the other night and he treed 5 times within 150 yards. The last one was definitely slick so I whooped him (not bad just enough to get him off that tree) he then trailed for 250 yards and treed. I didn't see the coon but I was glad that he really TRIED to finish the track rather than just pulling up. Usually after he trees the first time and I send him on, he will run to a tree close by and tree. That makes me really mad.lol hopefully he will turn out, cause he minds and leads very well...just lacks on the hunting part

Old Post 09-02-2015 09:33 AM
b&t_4_life is offline Click Here to See the Profile for b&t_4_life Click here to Send b&t_4_life a Private Message Click Here to Email b&t_4_life Find more posts by b&t_4_life Add b&t_4_life to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Pup

I'd lay him up the leaves come off. Then I'd correct him if he pulls up slick. You don't want him to make a habit of pulling up empty. That would only make the problem worse, and harder to fix later.

Old Post 09-17-2015 01:30 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wrinkletreeknls
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by crusader
If the dog is a year old and treeing that many slicks.I would get rid of him and start over with something else.I don't mean selling him!

Here is whats wrong with dogs, people dont know how to train a dog, if they aint doin it by such and such age, put them down and start over. wish i knew this guys real name, id make sure he dont get a pup out of any litter i have. RANT OVER

Now the issue at hand is this pup i had a dog acting similar, try taking him in the daytime, when its highly unlikely youll tree a coon, switch him off any tree he makes, not saying its fool proof but it worked for me, Good luck!!!

'PR' HAYES MOONLITE BO
deceased

'PR' SHAVER'S WEST FORK WRINKLES

Old Post 09-20-2015 04:11 PM
wrinkletreeknls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wrinkletreeknls Click here to Send wrinkletreeknls a Private Message Click Here to Email wrinkletreeknls Find more posts by wrinkletreeknls Add wrinkletreeknls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crusader
UKC Forum Member

Wrinkletreeknis
My name is mike mizell.
You aint got nothing I want!

Their is plenty of natural hounds in our breed that are well balanced with track and tree.
If you settle for any thing less you will always be behind!

Old Post 09-20-2015 08:40 PM
crusader is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crusader Click here to Send crusader a Private Message Click Here to Email crusader Find more posts by crusader Add crusader to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dawgg03
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by crusader
Wrinkletreeknis
My name is mike mizell.
You aint got nothing I want!

Their is plenty of natural hounds in our breed that are well balanced with track and tree.
If you settle for any thing less you will always be behind!

I think Mike has had a few good dogs that he's trained. I agree too many natural starters in our breed to deal with less.

I use Sunfire lights

Old Post 09-20-2015 09:15 PM
dawgg03 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dawgg03 Click here to Send dawgg03 a Private Message Click Here to Email dawgg03 Find more posts by dawgg03 Add dawgg03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dawgg03
UKC Forum Member

P.s he use to bend men into pretzels and kick their necks off. Don't know if he's still doing this or not lol.

I use Sunfire lights

Old Post 09-20-2015 09:18 PM
dawgg03 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dawgg03 Click here to Send dawgg03 a Private Message Click Here to Email dawgg03 Find more posts by dawgg03 Add dawgg03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
b&t_4_life
UKC Forum Member

I don't understand how you justify to get rid of them at a year old. After they have proved that they can go get hooked, handles amazing and listens very well. In my opinion how a dog handles is as important as how it hunts. Anyways.....I know dogs that wasnt started till they were a year old and they turned out to be great dogs. One guy WILL NOT even start a dog until it is a year old and he always has good dogs. So I completely disagree that you should get rid of them at a year old if they show you they can tree coons and handle well.

Old Post 09-21-2015 02:25 AM
MR.RATMAN
Banned

stop hunting him until the leaves are off so you are for sure a tree is slick. You got the hard part done by the sound of it because he tree's. Now you dont want to start whipping on him if there is a chance that he has the fur. I'm sure that leaving him at home for another 3 weeks wont hurt him a bit. Start the lesson when there are no leaves

Old Post 09-21-2015 06:38 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronnie H
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by b&t_4_life
I don't understand how you justify to get rid of them at a year old. After they have proved that they can go get hooked, handles amazing and listens very well. In my opinion how a dog handles is as important as how it hunts. Anyways.....I know dogs that wasnt started till they were a year old and they turned out to be great dogs. One guy WILL NOT even start a dog until it is a year old and he always has good dogs. So I completely disagree that you should get rid of them at a year old if they show you they can tree coons and handle well.
I had a pair of pups brother and sister the male started treeing coon when he was about eight months old and was a NT.CH. by the time he was two. The female how ever was a little slower starting at about 18 months see would still not stay on a track or tree very good but at about two she fliped the switch and by the time she was two & 1/2 she had made NT.CH. but here is the differance the early starting male was all the hound that he was going to be at two.The slow starting female got better each year until she got to old to hunt.

Old Post 09-21-2015 08:18 AM
Ronnie H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronnie H Click here to Send Ronnie H a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronnie H Find more posts by Ronnie H Add Ronnie H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crusader
UKC Forum Member

You asked for an opinion and I gave you mine.
I was not trying to hurt your feelings.
He is your dog you do what you want to with him!

Old Post 09-21-2015 01:37 PM
b&t_4_life
UKC Forum Member

No hurt feelings here. I was just curious. I appreciate all of yalls opinions though. Every little bit helps

Old Post 09-22-2015 12:19 AM
rweller
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by b&t_4_life

Don't get rid of your dog. Any dog that can tree coons at a year old even if he is treeing slick can be fixed. You just have to work with them. When he trees slick and you know he's slick, get after him and send him on. If he's as smart as you say it won't take long and he will figure it out.

Good luck

GR.Nt.Ch. Pr Black Magic Queen
Past home of Gr.Nt.Ch. Splitters Magic Otis 2014 Black and Tan Days King of Hunt. GRNITECH'PR' Roughton's Black Splitter X Gr.Nt.Ch. Black Magic Queen

Old Post 09-22-2015 05:11 AM
rweller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rweller Click here to Send rweller a Private Message Click Here to Email rweller Find more posts by rweller Add rweller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Agree

quote:
Originally posted by rweller
Don't get rid of your dog. Any dog that can tree coons at a year old even if he is treeing slick can be fixed. You just have to work with them. When he trees slick and you know he's slick, get after him and send him on. If he's as smart as you say it won't take long and he will figure it out.

Good luck

Slick trees are usually just quit tracks. If the dog has the desire and intelligence, You can probably straighten him out. But, you've got to take the action to do it! You can't expect the dog to magically straighten itself out!

Old Post 10-07-2015 03:39 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote