UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Free Range
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Free Range

I'm looking for any advice or tips on raising a free range hound. I know it is a simple concept but I'd like to hear some input. Things you did in the beginning that you don't do now or visa versa. Do you put them up during the night or during the day or leave em loose 24/7. Did you have to be more mindful of de worming? Just anything that might be helpful. I've had dogs all my life,over 50 years and I've been raising hunting dogs/hounds for 34 years. But this is the first time I've live in a place that I have the opportunity to raise a hound free range. Thanks for any input!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-21-2020 06:52 PM
Pat Miltons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Miltons Click here to Send Pat Miltons a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat Miltons Find more posts by Pat Miltons Add Pat Miltons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerrydillon17
UKC Forum Member

A while back I had woman had someone drop walker puppy on her farm he ran loose 24/7. She told me come get him by then he was around 9 months old he was running an treeing good. So it helps

Old Post 05-21-2020 10:10 PM
jerrydillon17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jerrydillon17 Click here to Send jerrydillon17 a Private Message Click Here to Email jerrydillon17 Find more posts by jerrydillon17 Add jerrydillon17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eric Bierman
UKC Forum Member

When I get a puppy I always take it to a farm with young kids and let it run loose from weaning to about 6 months, when I start working with them. All I ask is if it trees a cat, pet it up good to let em know it did a good job. And that they know their name when called. Treat it as their own. If the do something they don't like correct them. The kids will help socialize them, and they'll learn how to track. A side benefit I found was making new hunting buddies. I haven't been able to find a downside to it.

Old Post 05-22-2020 12:41 AM
Eric Bierman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eric Bierman Click here to Send Eric Bierman a Private Message Find more posts by Eric Bierman Add Eric Bierman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

If you have a place for pups to run and roam it’s the best training you can get. Put them up when they start ranging too far away.

Old Post 05-22-2020 01:15 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerrydillon17
UKC Forum Member

Eric hit nail on the head 110 % agree

Old Post 05-22-2020 02:18 AM
jerrydillon17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jerrydillon17 Click here to Send jerrydillon17 a Private Message Click Here to Email jerrydillon17 Find more posts by jerrydillon17 Add jerrydillon17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I used to let my pups run free but too many neighbors moved in around me that didn't understand hounds. Make sure you put a collar with your name and phone number on the pup as soon as you turn it loose. And be prepared to meet all of your neighbors. If any of them have chickens save up some extra money also.

Old Post 05-22-2020 03:08 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I used to let my pups run free but too many neighbors moved in around me that didn't understand hounds. Make sure you put a collar with your name and phone number on the pup as soon as you turn it loose. And be prepared to meet all of your neighbors. If any of them have chickens save up some extra money also.

Lol I remember several years ago when we had a couple that had killed a few of our neighbor ladies and Cheyenne found a good deal on chickens he loaded the dog box down with them and turned them out at her place. He told her if things got crazy and they got all those he would bring her another batch. We've never had to pay for another chicken lol. She loves Ol' Red our senior hound and feeds him all her table scraps so he makes a daily trip to go visit.
Running loose...
We have 2 grown hounds that range full time Red and Lizzy. Pups come and go. I don't let them out full time until they are around 4 months old most that come in are 5-8 months, younger ones when we let them out under more supervision. Young ones are more likely to get lost, stolen or eaten by a predator. When they start running and treeing consistently then it's time to put them up and start hunting them unless you plan to have a yard / hunting dog like Red or Lizzy. The grandkids are around all the time to play and help socialize all the pups and most love the attention. Socializing and handling the pup is a must. They learn early just from being around people to come when called and they can lead from being drug around by the kids. I do keep food out all the time so they can eat when they are hungry. Pups running loose go through more feed than those in the pen using much more energy. I worm very young pups weekly, older ones monthly and the 2 adults every 3 months. All get flea and tick treatment monthly with Nexgard and the ones old enough to run loose along with the adults monthly dose of ivomec for heartworm prevention. Flea and tick prevention is very important in having healthy dogs.
Pups learn at an early age to navigate the timber, cross fences and water and in no time take themselves hunting. I truly believe it makes for a more naturally independent hound. We never try to break them off off game during this time. Most with age and coons pretty much break themselves but those deer races when they are young increases tracking abilities (imo).

Some habits not to let them do is if you are on a farm do not let them chase you when you are driving any vehicle. I remember one I got in here that a man had running on his farm that he had let follow him on his side by side and I like to have never got her broke from chasing any car that came and went from our lane.
A collar with your name and number is a must and the occasional visit and little something for your neighbors isn't a bad idea either.
Over the last nearly 20 years I've had hundreds of pups come through here. Free range does have its risks but the benefits do outweigh them.
All of our dogs are products of being started here running loose as pups.
If you have any questions feel free to contact or PM me.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-22-2020 04:33 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Thank you

I wanted to come back to this post and be sure to thank you all for your replies I really do appreciate it!!!

Old Post 06-06-2020 01:56 AM
Pat Miltons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Miltons Click here to Send Pat Miltons a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat Miltons Find more posts by Pat Miltons Add Pat Miltons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote