UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Two-to-Two Vote on Scoring a Tree
Two vote to circle the tree. Two vote to minus the tree. How is this tree scored?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Circle. 15 9.87%
Minus. 0 0%
Delete. 113 74.34%
The hunting judges' vote breaks the tie and determines the scoring of this tree. 24 15.79%
Total: 152 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Two-to-Two Vote on Scoring a Tree

In a hunting judge situation, two cast members vote to circle the tree and two members vote to minus the tree. How are all points scored for dogs on this tree?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-2018 05:13 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Need to check the card first?

https://www.ukcdogs.com/docs/huntin...d-scorecard.pdf

Old Post 06-12-2018 05:17 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I would go by 5e, and would love to hear if someone doesn't then why?

Old Post 06-12-2018 06:17 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Need to check the card first?

https://www.ukcdogs.com/docs/huntin...d-scorecard.pdf

Delete if I read score card right?

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 06-12-2018 06:47 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: What to do!

quote:
Originally posted by barnyard01
I would like to see this situation deleted with a question mark, Leave a spectator at the tree, the card brought back to the master of hounds, & have a panel formed to return to the tree in question, & take appropriate action against the guilty parties! I'm well aware that this will likely never be implemented, but something has to be done to stop all of the games that are played with the gray area's in the rules! JMO!
There are no gray areas in that rule.

Old Post 06-13-2018 12:49 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

Re: What to do!

quote:
Originally posted by barnyard01
.......have a panel formed to return to the tree in question, & take appropriate action against the guilty parties...... but something has to be done to stop all of the games that are played with the gray area's in the rules! JMO!

If in your honest opinion you see what you believe to be a hole big enough for a coon - vote to circle
In my honest opinion I don't see what you think is a hole, but to me I see what I believe is a shadow or a dark piece of bark - vote minus

Who is the guilty party? Who is playing games with the rules? Who should "appropriate action" be levied against?

I don't see a gray area with this particular situation as described by Allen. Without reading anything extra into the question asked, the rule is pretty clear. Delete

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 06-13-2018 12:50 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom anderson
UKC Forum Member

When will we here the answer

Old Post 06-13-2018 01:59 AM
Tom anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom anderson Click here to Send Tom anderson a Private Message Find more posts by Tom anderson Add Tom anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

Since the judge is hunting don't we need to know what his/her vote is to make a decision. Under the hunting judge part of the card it says the judge's decision is final. You may put a ? on the card. (16 b. 1) The judge is responsible for all scoring.

Last edited by SHORN on 06-13-2018 at 03:33 AM

Old Post 06-13-2018 03:30 AM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

5e says it all it is delete, even thou you have a hunting judge it takes a majority vote to plus, circle, or minus. Hunting judge still has to vote but his vote is equal to all others in cast.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 06-13-2018 03:53 AM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tom anderson
When will we here the answer

Delete points:
5 (e) If half the cast votes to circle and half the cast votes to minus a tree.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-13-2018 03:56 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

When you have a hunting judge and your scoring the tree here is how I have seen the better judges handle the scoring.

They look at the tree and they make up their mind and tell the cast how he plans on scoring the tree. Then if someone doesn't agree the cast can vote. The outcome of the scoring will be how the cast voted.

What I hate to see and I feel this type of judge is just asking for trouble on a cast. Is the judge who wants the cast to vote and then he tells them what his vote is. Good judges control the cast and a good judge usually is not questioned. If they are there questioned then there are rules on how to handle the question and in this case if it is a hunting judge. 5e is the answer.

We talk about knowing the rules. I think it is very important for someone that is wanting to judge to learn how to handle themselves in a knowledge way, using the rules that is fair to all. Judging means you apply the rules to the situation as you the judge sees it. Not as anyone wants it to be, but how the judge HEARD, SAW and PROCESSED the SITUTATION.

When Dale Brandenburg of Plott Fame use to have an article every month in the American Cooner on Rules. It was the first thing, I read in the magazine. It is funny how I think back to that time and the dogs and hunters we had then and how easy it was to judge in that era compared to today. The dogs have went wild in their own direction and the hunters all have lawyer degrees. The hunters that haven't finished their lawyer degree yet all feel they get cheated if they loose. All this to tree a coon and JUDGE a dog. If a mans character was getting JUDGED on these hunts, many would not get a passing grade.

Sorry I got off on a tangent. I will go back to stand by and wait for someone to ask a Garmin question and leave the rules to the knowledgeable. Funny how you start out not knowing the rules, then your work hard to learn them, then you get old and you see little value in having a dog that operates by the rules. I want my dogs better than what the rules require to get a passing grade at my house.

Old Post 06-13-2018 12:38 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

We talk about knowing the rules. I think it is very important for someone that is wanting to judge to learn how to handle themselves in a knowledge way, using the rules that is fair to all. Judging means you apply the rules to the situation as you the judge sees it. Not as anyone wants it to be, but how the judge HEARD, SAW and PROCESSED the SITUTATION.

When Dale Brandenburg of Plott Fame use to have an article every month in the American Cooner on Rules. It was the first thing, I read in the magazine. It is funny how I think back to that time and the dogs and hunters we had then and how easy it was to judge in that era compared to today. The dogs have went wild in their own direction and the hunters all have lawyer degrees. The hunters that haven't finished their lawyer degree yet all feel they get cheated if they loose. All this to tree a coon and JUDGE a dog. If a mans character was getting JUDGED on these hunts, many would not get a passing grade.

Agreed.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the archives reading some of Dale's old rules articles. Interesting stuff. He was the first to write those published monthly "advisor" columns. Unfortunately, your last sentence has a lot of merit. Some of those are guys many would look up to otherwise. It's always good to see those who pass the grade regardless of how every situation affects their dogs' scoring.

A good friend of mine (master of hounds) always reminds his hunters to "just score dogs guys........it's not rocket science........just score dogs."

Old Post 06-13-2018 02:04 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
When you have a hunting judge and your scoring the tree here is how I have seen the better judges handle the scoring.

They look at the tree and they make up their mind and tell the cast how he plans on scoring the tree. Then if someone doesn't agree the cast can vote. The outcome of the scoring will be how the cast voted.

That's exactly how I do it in a $KC hunt but it doesn't go over very well in a UKC hunt. Its what they expect in the other KC but in UKC someone will accuse you of trying to run over the cast and not giving them their vote. I've seen it a couple of times.

What most judges are missing is confidence and houndmenship. If they have those two thing and a decent knowledge of the rules they make a great judge. Because they have to deal with the 21% of the people in this poll that got the rule wrong even though they were given a link that has it in black and white.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-13-2018 05:46 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donell Oxley
UKC Forum Member

It is scored how the judge voted , it takes majority to over rule the judge

Old Post 06-13-2018 08:15 PM
Donell Oxley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donell Oxley Click here to Send Donell Oxley a Private Message Click Here to Email Donell Oxley Find more posts by Donell Oxley Add Donell Oxley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Joey, my point is after the time is up on a tree and no coon is seen. The judge should be the first to speak up and say how he plans on scoring the tree. If the others dont agree then they can vote and have a right to do so. The vote determines how the score will be recorded. If your telling me the judge that holds a higher responsibility for things being handled correctly in the cast should start soliciting opinions on how something should be scored before he makes his opinion known. Then I see it as a problem. Nothing but a weak judge in my opinion. About the third tree of the night you will have everyone voicing their opinion on the tree and wanting to argue depending how it affects their dogs score long before time is up. Its all about the judge confidently and knowingley scoring the cast. Then let the rules decide if his ruling on a situation holds up. The rules if followed allow for many slick trees to be circled. Thats just part of the game we play. Judge just has to be consistent.

Old Post 06-13-2018 08:31 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

No Bruce that's not what I'm saying, But in UKC every one has to give a vote on a tree. The judge doesn't get to cast his vote and then walk off if no one questions it. You as a cast member have to give your vote on a tree. So the judge gives his vote and then ask for the rest. You cant leave the tree until all have given their vote. Look at the remark right above yours. If you get a couple of guys like that the judge can run rough shot over tree scoring all night, because they think his vote holds more weight.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-13-2018 08:52 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Joey now I understand.

Old Post 06-13-2018 09:35 PM
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Re: Two-to-Two Vote on Scoring a Tree

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
In a hunting judge situation, two cast members vote to circle the tree and two members vote to minus the tree. How are all points scored for dogs on this tree?

I like how a simple question gets turned into a debate about how the judge should speak first. The above question is simple and requires a simple answer 4 handlers split 2 and 2 . JMO

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 06-13-2018 11:39 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom anderson
UKC Forum Member

Would rule 16b3 even considered here it says it has to be a majority to over turn judge just asking two two isn’t a majority I know one rule says delete now this kinda contradicts

Old Post 06-14-2018 12:21 AM
Tom anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom anderson Click here to Send Tom anderson a Private Message Find more posts by Tom anderson Add Tom anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Beals, the question was answered a long ways back. Now they are just "filibustering".

Old Post 06-14-2018 07:21 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Two-to-Two Vote on Scoring a Tree

quote:
Originally posted by tony.beals
I like how a simple question gets turned into a debate about how the judge should speak first. The above question is simple and requires a simple answer 4 handlers split 2 and 2 . JMO

If no one commented on here after the answer was given, or discussed other aspects of it. Then no one would be on here.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-14-2018 03:06 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom anderson
Would rule 16b3 even considered here it says it has to be a majority to over turn judge just asking two two isn’t a majority I know one rule says delete now this kinda contradicts

Tom, my next question (later today) will hopefully eliminate any questions you have about this. Watch for it.

Old Post 06-14-2018 04:34 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Deleted Points, is the correct answer.

Wow, I'm shocked so many missed this one. Especially, when we provided a link to the rules to look it up, if there's any question. Someone is not doing enough (rule) reading.

Rule 5(e) applies. The correct answer is; deleted points.

5. CIRCLED AND DELETED POINTS
Circle points:
(a) When dog strikes and trees on a tree or a hole in the ground where there
could be a coon, yet Judge does not see coon and no off game is seen. NOTE:
In case of running coon in a hole or place of refuge other than a tree, handler
may call dog treed. However, if not called treed, cast may proceed to general
area, and track can be considered finished if dogs, by actions either tree barking
or otherwise, show to the satisfaction of the Judge, coon to be there. One
dog must show end of trail. For dogs declared treed in a hole or tile, see Rule
3(b) or 4(g), if applicable.
(b) No dog to receive minus points for coming into tree after Judge arrives
unless a coon is seen and the dogs treeing are awarded plus points.
(c) If half the cast votes to plus and half the cast votes to circle a tree.
(d) If a squirrel is seen on a den tree (must have visible hole large enough for a coon
to enter into) or tree has a nest, or a place of refuge where a coon could be hidden.
Delete points:
(e) If half the cast votes to circle and half the cast votes to minus a tree.
(f) If dogs are trailing when time is out.
(g) If Judge has to call time out in accordance with Rule 7.
(h) When dog trees on a tree or coon previously scored. (Cast may go to tree without
dogs being declared treed, if majority of cast agree, when hunting Judges are used.)
(i) When dog that is shut out* comes into tree shut out on. Refer to 3(e).

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:05 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

and the 23 % that missed this question will be carrying the score card this weekend . lol

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:36 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote