UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I would have went out for supper too! That tractor driving will wear a person out. My mom has been working hard all summer on the farm since dad passed but she seems to be enjoying having something to do. Here my brother has started on the second cutting. It keeps raining and the grass is still green and growing so he keeps making hay and mom will be right out there.
One thing I noticed in PA was everywhere they were bailing straw. Here there is some but it is mostly fescue we all put up in round bales for the cattle. I also noticed there were very few beef cattle up there. We do buy straw bales for the dogs and have one field that has alot of clover in it we have to hire done for square bales. We only have a round baler. The clover is like a treat when we have to get the cows up, they love it.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-26-2019 05:07 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Last night gumbo and it was good. Ashton brought over okra from her garden since I only had one survivor everything else came from mine except the celery. We added chicken, sausage and shrimp to it. I also found out that the FDA has pulled gumbo file from the shelves so I guess I'm going to need to dry my own sassafras.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-09-2019 05:57 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We breaded and deep-fried the squash. All the others little squish got eaten by something. Still have a few blossoms, so there's hope for another one.
Farmers here make a lot of wheat and oat straw, Amish make spelt (?). I can remember when we where kids, my uncle from near Sandusky OH talked about growing soy beans, no one around here did. Now all the big Farmers plant them.
We mostly have dairy farms here, but there are a few beef. Last year, Walmart started something with milk and the dairy farmers were upset they wouldn't be able to sell their milk so I thought maybe they'd switch to beef, but they haven't. Some of the bigger farmers became overnight millionaires when they leased their land to the gas companies a few years ago.
Gotta head to the barn. If we would have kept bovine instead of equine, we'd probably be selling farm equipment instead of buying new. But I love to ride more than eat. Our 2nd crop is made..

Old Post 09-11-2019 05:15 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Here it is mid September and all of a sudden I've got a ton of ripe tomatoes. I'm going to do some canning tomorrow!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-16-2019 06:00 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Well Jenn how did the canning go? Couple years ago I had an abundance of tomatoes and had this genius brainfart that I'll make some tomato juice. Never again. I've never worked so hard for so little. No more than I use it's not that far to the supermarket and I'll stick to fresh veggies other than green beans. I've got enough going on outdoors to keep me busy and I'll leave the canning to you ladies.

Old Post 09-17-2019 01:33 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Well Jenn how did the canning go? Couple years ago I had an abundance of tomatoes and had this genius brainfart that I'll make some tomato juice. Never again. I've never worked so hard for so little. No more than I use it's not that far to the supermarket and I'll stick to fresh veggies other than green beans. I've got enough going on outdoors to keep me busy and I'll leave the canning to you ladies.

Well, I ended up with Dalton's boys (3&7) no school every other Monday and my busy day of getting the tomatoes canned, house cleaned and laundry done went out the window! The tomatoes are going to mom's for her to work up and can lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-17-2019 05:14 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I love my tomatoes but on a sandwich or fresh out of the garden. My mom canned everything when we were kids. I never tried it. When we had big gardens, I froze everything.

Old Post 09-20-2019 04:17 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
I love my tomatoes but on a sandwich or fresh out of the garden. My mom canned everything when we were kids. I never tried it. When we had big gardens, I froze everything.

As a kid I remember snipping and snapping green beans till my fingers hurt and chunking laundry baskets full of tomatoes for canning! Growing up on a farm we grew what we ate and ate what we grew! With all the health problems of so many I can't help but think that more of us need to go back to this philosophy! That is one reason that I started this thread a few years ago. It does seem that many more are trying their hand at backyard gardens again and the idea that we can been more self reliant. If it all goes to hell in a hand bag someday some will have a better chance than others. Even though you may not have that big garden to have to care for you have the skills and tools if ever needed.
I remember my grandparents stories from the great depression. My grandpa's had stories of horrible hardships during these times. Both my grandmothers, though not from wealthy parents really don't remember life being much different. They were both raised on farms. With the animals and gardens they raised even though their parents had lost money when the banks failed never faced hunger.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-20-2019 08:35 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

My dad was born in 1926, he pretty much said the same thing. His dad drilled gas Wells so he said they had it better than most. He said he complained about only getting socks and an orange for Christmas and Grandpa smacked his butt for it and told him some people didn't have food.
He was 90 when he passed away and didn't quit hunting deer until he he was 87. He loved hunting on the farm, he bought from his parents.

Old Post 10-08-2019 06:45 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

We are expecting our first frost at the end of the week. I've got pepper plants loaded down with peppers and quite a few green tomatoes that I've got to get picked before Friday.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 10-08-2019 07:12 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We had frost last week. I got up to take my Parkinson's med, saw it and headed back to bed. My husband asked me what I was doing and I told him I was going into groundhog mode until it warmed up.

Old Post 10-09-2019 04:59 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

It is time for some early spring planting. I've been getting my little garden raised plot ready on a couple of nice days we've had this past couple of weeks. If the rain will hold off tomorrow we are going to get a few things in the ground. This time of year in our zone there is plenty that can be planted potatoes, peas, onions, lettuce, radishes, cabbage and several others love the cool weather. I'm having mom start some of my warmer weather seeds inside like tomatoes and peppers.
In the past I've told stories on this thread of my grandma living through the Great Depression and knowing her daddy lost money but never any change to their life style being a kid growing up through it as far as what they ate because they were self sustaining by producing their own food as most country people were. Now my grandfathers both had different stories of struggles being city kids beans and unleavened biscuits no meat unless they caught it or shot it.
During WW2 people were urged to do their part in being more self sufficient by planting "Liberty Gardens" for themselves so that our larger food production could feed the troops. I would like to urge each of you this year that while everyone else is making a run on toilet paper instead pick up a few garden plants and seed packs. Let's all make an attempt to get back to our roots, literally lol. We can each help to make our families more secure and healthier. If you have a lot of space and time wonderful! If you don't there are plenty of creative ways you can still have some fresh veggies this summer and maybe a little extra to put up for winter.
Get those garden tools dusted off and your hands dirty.
Happy gardening!
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-15-2020 03:43 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Good luck with your gardens this year. Don't see one here again this year. Chuck plowed ours up last year and put a food plot for the deer there. I'll probably do like last year and plant a few things in my flowers.
Hopefully since we didn't get much out of the orchard last year, we'll have a bumper crop this year.

Old Post 03-18-2020 05:10 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Mom got her garden in on Tuesday. The neighbor brought his pull behind roto tiller down over the weekend, those things make quick work of a garden plot! I bought myself a 2 horse little tiller to use in my raised beds and flower beds. This thing is the best $200 I've spent in a long time. We have a big tiller but it is a hassle in the small spots. My cousin just retired from the Navy and is staying with grandma to help keep an eye on her. I saw them out in the yard a few days ago and she was pointing at the fence row around the yard and I knew he was recieving information on where to start digging for her to start her planting at her at 93 we just all do as she says. I took my little tiller down for him to use and saved him a lot of manual labor lol!
So far in mine I've got potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, radishes, and onions in the ground along with a few herbs. I went ahead and planted 4 big tomato plants that were on sale at our local store even though it's a little bit early for them here. I will plant about 50 more along with peppers when the threat of frost has passed.
Chey salted weeds that had started in his flowers and the rock path he built last year. We don't use any round up here just farm salt for unwanted weeds or grass it works great and is safe for dogs and grandkids. You can mix water, salt and vinegar to make a brine for use in a sprayer for larger areas and accomplish the same control of unwanted vegetation.
Get out and get those hands dirty this year!
Feel free to post here of your ideas and gardening tips or questions.
Happy gardening,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-01-2020 03:44 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

When reading the news tonight I've became even more concerned than ever. There are MANY reports coming in of stores roping off non-essential items that apparently the powers that be have deemed some garden centers and even just shelves with garden seeds to be non-essential and are also being roped off. I am not sure what world they live in that the ability to grow your own food isn't essential but the rest of us have just been welcomed unwilling into it. Folks if you do not have your seeds or plants yet get them now! We are living in a world that's gone upside down and adding some food security for your family has never been this important. If you've never put in a garden this year is the perfect time to start!
Also, take the time tomorrow for some reflection and prayer remembering the one who died for each of us and was risen from the dead that we may be saved.
Blessings to each of you and your families,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-12-2020 05:24 AM
yadkintar
Banned

20 early girl tomato plants in my front room. 8 bags of miracle grow raised bed dirt for mrs tars tubs and all the seeds needed just waiting on that one last frost to get past us.

Tar

Old Post 04-12-2020 03:04 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Cheyenne got the rest of my tomato plants in the ground today. Because we are planting in the same place as last year I've bought a couple of scoops of a garden mix from our local hardware store we worked into the soil. It is top soil mixed with a mushroom compost and a little sawdust. The 4 that I planted early have got frosted a couple of times but seem to still be alive. Broccoli and cabbage plants look great. My lettuce is pretty sparse so I'm going to replant some this weekend. I did get most of the weeds pulled from them with a little help from him. Lettuce is great to plant every couple of weeks to have a continuous supply rather than it all being ready at one time then bolting. Radishes will be ready for the first batch of lettuce. My potato plants are up but I'm going to cover them with straw and more dirt like I have previously done when I planted in tires and kept stacking them. Mom planted more corn and green beans last week after the first planting didn't come up like it should have. Idk if it was too wet with all the rain we've had or soil temps to low after the cold snaps we had earlier in April. I'm hoping Chey will get the cattle panels I'm going to use for a cucumber arch up soon.
Chey's new project... after I have spent nearly 20 years picking up rocks here he ordered a load of rock delivered yesterday lol. He decided he is tired of buying wood chip mulch since it breaks down and blows out when uses the leaf blower so this should last forever.
I still need to plant the peppers, okra and squash. I was going to plant the squash in his front beds but with all the rock I'm going to plant it on the border of the tomato bed in the back of the house(probably why he put in all the rock!)
I saw a thing I'd never thought of for those of you with limited space or time. Simply buy a few bags of soil, make a few slits in the bottom for drainage and then roll it over and cut the top out leaving the sides and plant your favorite veggies. Wala mini garden in a bag.
I'm keeping an eye on the temp this weekend it is supposed to be in the 30's at night this weekend.
Feel free to share your garden progress, ideas or questions.
Happy Gardening,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-07-2020 04:59 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Mrs tars tub plants already got little squash on them. My big garden looks good we got a chance of hail tonight I hope not.

Tar

Old Post 05-07-2020 01:45 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Mrs tars tub plants already got little squash on them. My big garden looks good we got a chance of hail tonight I hope not.

Tar

You may want to rig up a tarp or something to go over you cages if a bad storm is coming.
Mrs. Tar has is way a head of me on the squash mine is still in the seed packet lol. Being 5 hours north of you we have to be careful of planting to early. We had a couple of hard late freezes last month after having 70-80° days.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-07-2020 07:34 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

The orchard looks beautiful. The peach, plum, cherry and pear trees are in blossom. Weather forecast...frost, snow and record cold.

Old Post 05-08-2020 01:12 AM
yadkintar
Banned

No sand plum jelly this year frost got them don’t know about the grapes yet. Might not be Oklahoma peaches at the peach festival either.

Tar

Old Post 05-08-2020 01:19 AM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Only Sweetcorn

I'm not much of a gardening person. I got my sweetcorn patches ready to plant this past week. Decided to hold off on planting till next week. Bought 10 pound of seed and have 5 pound left from last year. At 3:00 AM this morning I had 28 degrees by 7:00 AM it was 26. Just seems a little cold to plant. Have 3 patches I plant yearly.

Patch #1is 60FT. X 300 Ft. (24 rows) We give this to the neighbors for putting up with us (dogs steers & me) Have several good coon chases also.

Patch #2 is 60X 60. I get what I can coon and deer have 95% of it. Also good for several good coon chases.

Patch #3 is 22Ft X 1320Ft. This is half mile from my house along the neighbors woods. I plant 2 rows sweetcorn and 6 rows field corn.

Want to get my gardening done so I can I can get the fields planted. Just have to get my priorities in the right order. LOL! Have a 22month old to get finished. And 2 8 month olds to push. It is amazing how $200.00 worth of sweetcorn can keep you in good with land owners. They all deer hunt but I have permission to coon hunt. Little off topic, but that is my reason for my garden.

Works 4 Me!

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 05-09-2020 07:42 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Randi that's quite a bit of corn! Good idea on sharing the harvest with the neighbors and critters.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-10-2020 03:04 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Our corn usually doesn't do well and if it does, bears get more than we do. I'm not having a garden, but would like to get some squash and maybe a couple of tomato plants in the ground. Kind of hard to do with record lows, frost and/or snow almost every day for a week. Orchard is probably ruined except for the late apples.

Old Post 05-11-2020 08:06 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Our corn usually doesn't do well and if it does, bears get more than we do. I'm not having a garden, but would like to get some squash and maybe a couple of tomato plants in the ground. Kind of hard to do with record lows, frost and/or snow almost every day for a week. Orchard is probably ruined except for the late apples.

You may try the bags of dirt for your squash and save you tilling or digging. It's been colder here too. We had a frost advisory Friday but thankfully it didn't get anything I have planted. Mom covered here garden with tarps. She lives in a valley and it gets colder there than here. Funny she only lives a half a mile from me. I guess this rock pile does have some advantages lol. I still need to plant my peppers and cucumbers but it is supposed to rain all week. Maybe we can get a little break in the weather. Suppose to warm up some Wednesday but we've got a fire in the stove today.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-12-2020 02:15 AM