UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > how to get a pup to tree better?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

how to get a pup to tree better?

How can i get my 13 month old gyp to tree harder.......she'll tree her own coon and tree great steady chop till i get within 50 yards or so of tree then will go silent. She will stay there as long as i get the fairly fast once she stops barking but will leave if i don't get her tied up ive tryed petting her up to get her excited n she might bark once or twice but not much

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-21-2012 01:13 AM
whiskey1117 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for whiskey1117 Click here to Send whiskey1117 a Private Message Click Here to Email whiskey1117 Find more posts by whiskey1117 Add whiskey1117 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't mind so much if shed stop after i got to her but not 50-60 yards away

Old Post 03-21-2012 01:17 AM
whiskey1117 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for whiskey1117 Click here to Send whiskey1117 a Private Message Click Here to Email whiskey1117 Find more posts by whiskey1117 Add whiskey1117 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CodyHarness
UKC Forum Member

Tie her away from the tree before you shoot the coon out. A few times of that normally straightens that out. Dont let her have the coon until she stays.

Old Post 03-21-2012 01:51 AM
CodyHarness is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CodyHarness Click here to Send CodyHarness a Private Message Click Here to Email CodyHarness Find more posts by CodyHarness Add CodyHarness to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

She stays just wont stay treeing after she sees me only had her leave twice wen i would stop and wait for her to tree again

Old Post 03-21-2012 01:54 AM
Dirtdevil
Banned

I'd not go to her if she wasn't barking ... get it across to her that whatever she wants from you ... petting , coon , company ... she has to bark to get it .

I'd leave her treed a good spell on her own before going to her ... let her get into a rythm and if she stopped barking , I'd stop walking into her ... if she will start up barking just a little bit , then go to her and work from there.

Anything like this is gonna take time , patience and consistancy on your part ... good luck

Old Post 03-21-2012 02:02 AM
Dirtdevil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dirtdevil Click here to Send Dirtdevil a Private Message Find more posts by Dirtdevil Add Dirtdevil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cheyenne
UKC Forum Member

age and confidence, i would go into the tree with light off and try not to distract her or let her notice you coming in. you can overdue the petting and jacking her up on the tree. be patient! don't push too much. hope this helps

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Old Post 03-21-2012 02:04 AM
Cheyenne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cheyenne Click here to Send Cheyenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Cheyenne Find more posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

Ive tryed stopping wen she stops barking and thats wen she get off tree and go for another......i tryed letting her stand there tied to tree after i got to her and wait her out but she just stands there waiting on me i know shes still young and got lots to learn but figure i misewell try to fix it wile shes young and not n her own habbits yet.....i thought about tying her to tree and walking 30-40 yards away and cut my light and wait her out n hope she'll tree again ill try to sneak in on her to

Old Post 03-21-2012 02:11 AM
l.lyle
Banned

I have not seen a dog you had to sneak in on in thirty years. They used to be common but I figured it was bred out. We called it light shy or man shy. I have seen some more recent pups that would just tree for so long and take off to get another coon but it did not matter if you had not left the truck yet or was alreadt at the tree. Can you think of anything that would have caused her to do it the first time she did it?

Old Post 03-21-2012 03:37 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

I dont know ........what would cause that any how?

Old Post 03-21-2012 03:41 AM
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by whiskey1117
I dont know ........what would cause that any how?

I don't know either. Did she like you ? a cur might not have taken to you yet.. maybe you went in with a buddy or a yard dog that she did not like ? Who knows.

I would stay as close behind her as i could and get right to her when she trees. Take two or three leashes because you want to hook her to the tree she is on even if it is a big one so that she can stand flat footed or rear all the way up on the tree but not jack it. Then go get the rifle and take your time about it. She will probably bark like crazy when she thinks you are leaving but that also gets her use to making noise at the tree. You can even say "speak to him" on the way in because this ain't no nite hunt! Say it if it helps and don't if it causes her to hush. Shine and look for the coon on the way in. I find most of them way out. This ain't no nite hunt. If you find it, set the rifle down where you have a clean shot and go get the dog. And never never, ever pet a dog for barking up a tree untill you know it has a coon up it. Bring the dog to where you have a clean shot and leash her so you can unhook the tied end easy, not the snap off her collar when the coon hits the dirt. She might not hear the coon fall and you want to have the leash on her to get her to it while it is still kicking.

Old Post 03-21-2012 04:26 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

Ok ill give it a try

Old Post 03-21-2012 04:33 AM
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

Ive also heard that not shooting a bunch of coon to dogs will make them better tree dogs i been debating to just stop shooting coon to her n c if it makes her want it......shes had probably close to 30 coon since november when she started treeing her own Coon at night i think she just waiting on me to kill it and doesnt wanna bark once she thinks i know where she is cuz she'll tree at a stead chop as long as u want her to untill she shes im close to getting to her

Old Post 03-21-2012 04:41 AM
Harry Plotter
UKC Forum Member

Re: how to get a pup to tree better?

quote:
How can i get my 13 month old gyp to tree harder.......she'll tree her own coon and tree great steady chop till i get within 50 yards or so of tree then will go silent. She will stay there as long as i get the fairly fast once she stops barking but will leave if i don't get her tied up ive tryed petting her up to get her excited n she might bark once or twice but not much

don't sound like she has much tree power. you might be able to work her and get her tightened up. but having to man make a dog stay treed ain't much good for many reasons. there''s plenty of dogs that'll stay treed even without a coon now a days. jus saying.

Old Post 03-21-2012 05:02 AM
Harry Plotter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Harry Plotter Click here to Send Harry Plotter a Private Message Click Here to Email Harry Plotter Find more posts by Harry Plotter Add Harry Plotter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

I can teach a dog to tree i can't teach one to run a track she'll run a track better than most and thro a 3 bawl locate and roll in to a steady chop and stay there as long as it takes to get there or u wanna stand there listening but wen she see u she stops

Old Post 03-21-2012 06:02 AM
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

Y would i want one to stay and tree for days wifh no coon any how tree coons not her problem and i can live with everything about her its kinda nice not having a dog barking n jumping around while ur trying to shine but id like to have her tree till i get all the way to her.....

Old Post 03-21-2012 06:05 AM
mauser06
UKC Forum Member

i do like l.lyle said pretty much exactly...

when hunting a youngun i am on its rear end till its getting locked down and staying put...could be 5 trees...could be 20.....i can usually find the coon before they do when they are younguns...then as soon as it hits the right tree im there to encourage it..praise it..leash it..pet it up good and fire it up etc...im also big on knocking coons out if in season and they do a nice job...every coon till they get straight...

with a youngun i think its experience and confidence..just takes time in the woods workin with them...

that worked for me with my current pup...he is now getting treed and locked down and having to be drug off the tree...spent many nites following him through the woods..lighted collars are REAL nice for that...id often see him look up and throw a bark or 2...i could find the coon and next time he came around i could be there for him...

ive seen guys pet and praise a dog JUST because it treed...they always end up with accuracy issues...can be corrected most times...but, its easier to avoid the problem than break it....knock on wood but my pup aint missed yet and he been under probably around 40-50 coon...been under 8 in the last 4 nites..i can now sit on the tailgate and enjoy listening to the chase because he is locking down and staying put..but i spent a bunch of time workin with him to get him there...

i like to think it was my training/handling...maybe i just got lucky and got a goodun lol....

'PR' Trackman's Dizzy Duke

Old Post 03-21-2012 06:25 AM
mauser06 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mauser06 Click here to Send mauser06 a Private Message Find more posts by mauser06 Add mauser06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toby Lane
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mauser06
i do like l.lyle said pretty much exactly...dont worry he will miss soon enough.You can take that to the bank they all do.lol

when hunting a youngun i am on its rear end till its getting locked down and staying put...could be 5 trees...could be 20.....i can usually find the coon before they do when they are younguns...then as soon as it hits the right tree im there to encourage it..praise it..leash it..pet it up good and fire it up etc...im also big on knocking coons out if in season and they do a nice job...every coon till they get straight...

with a youngun i think its experience and confidence..just takes time in the woods workin with them...

that worked for me with my current pup...he is now getting treed and locked down and having to be drug off the tree...spent many nites following him through the woods..lighted collars are REAL nice for that...id often see him look up and throw a bark or 2...i could find the coon and next time he came around i could be there for him...

ive seen guys pet and praise a dog JUST because it treed...they always end up with accuracy issues...can be corrected most times...but, its easier to avoid the problem than break it....knock on wood but my pup aint missed yet and he been under probably around 40-50 coon...been under 8 in the last 4 nites..i can now sit on the tailgate and enjoy listening to the chase because he is locking down and staying put..but i spent a bunch of time workin with him to get him there...

i like to think it was my training/handling...maybe i just got lucky and got a goodun lol....

Old Post 03-21-2012 07:12 AM
Toby Lane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toby Lane Click here to Send Toby Lane a Private Message Click Here to Email Toby Lane Visit Toby Lane's homepage! Find more posts by Toby Lane Add Toby Lane to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

When i first started her i did pretty much just like lyle said since january tho she really took of and started being consistent every time i cut her loose so i just been finding a log to set on and enjoying the spring peepers and dog work but i think i might have figured out my problem...i have close neighbors so i have to keep a bark collar on her most of the time so im thinking that shes getting mixed signals when she feels my training collar on her neck and wen she sees me shes thinking shes in trouble for barking....so im going to try leaving my shock collar off for a night andto see ifwhich she'll treetree all the way to her im 99% sure shes trash free atleast has been since around thanksgiving as far as i can remember

Old Post 03-21-2012 08:23 AM
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
When i first started her i did pretty much just like lyle said since january tho she really took of and started being consistent every time i cut her loose so i just been finding a log to set on and enjoying the spring peepers and dog work but i think i might have figured out my problem...i have close neighbors so i have to keep a bark collar on her most of the time so im thinking that shes getting mixed signals when she feels my training collar on her neck and wen she sees me shes thinking shes in trouble for barking....so im going to try leaving my shock collar off for a night andto see ifwhich she'll treetree all the way to her im 99% sure shes trash free atleast has been since around thanksgiving as far as i can remember
That's a more prime example of sometrhing to check out as a cause than a stinking buddy she MIGHT not have liked. LOL

Old Post 03-21-2012 08:44 AM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

i had a dog that if he treed a few hours he would almost all together stop treeing. i didnt holler for him cause i trained him when i holler that means come hear, so what i did, i blew my cheap coon squaller for all i was worth(which aint much) and that dog would go to treeing again. i know that might not be good for a pup to do that but leaveing a tree aint real good either. leaveing the shock collar at home is the best ideal i think.lol

Old Post 03-21-2012 09:15 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
old ben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CodyHarness
Tie her away from the tree before you shoot the coon out. A few times of that normally straightens that out. Dont let her have the coon until she stays.
i been doing this to my red dog big difference good advice cody

Anderson County Coon Club
Lance White
865-919-7234

Old Post 03-21-2012 09:38 PM
old ben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for old ben Click here to Send old ben a Private Message Click Here to Email old ben Find more posts by old ben Add old ben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

as good as any place to start.we have all been there rope bags
carry it out in front of them etc.

Old Post 03-21-2012 09:46 PM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

Im taking her out after i get off work tonight i had stuff to do this morning so i didnt go last night but ill let u know if leaving the shock collar off helped and if not ill try a some of the tips u guys have gave me thanks for the help

Old Post 03-21-2012 11:38 PM
Harry Plotter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I can teach a dog to tree i can't teach one to run a track she'll run a track better than most and thro a 3 bawl locate and roll in to a steady chop and stay there as long as it takes to get there or u wanna stand there listening but wen she see u she stops

i'm sorry in your first post you said she was leaving trees if you weren't getting to her fast. i just figured she didn't have much stickum. i've wasted lots of time trying to get dogs to tree better. many were similar sounding to yours. great fast track dogs usually in company would hit tree first. then tree some and if you weren't there fast they were gone and the other dogs were setting under the coon. i just can't take a dog or pup that will leave a coon in a tree and go on. i also disagree with you about teaching a dog to tree. they either are stay put or they aren't. some have big ears. some would rather track. some are just weak tree dogs. and if you have to teach them to stay it's not a dominate trait they inherited. i always figure when i have to make excuses for a dogs performance that its time to move on. took a while to figure that out after many nights wasted on dogs i thought i could make. you live you learn.

Old Post 03-22-2012 05:38 AM
Harry Plotter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Harry Plotter Click here to Send Harry Plotter a Private Message Click Here to Email Harry Plotter Find more posts by Harry Plotter Add Harry Plotter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

The problem is a hitch in her giddyup about making contact with the handler at the tree. He has reviewed what the likely problem is and is going to check it out. She does not have a fatal flaw like treeing come H or high water. That flaw is only a hairs breadth away from being a complete no account. This flaw might get fixed.

They should have wrote one more verse on this song for powerhouse lieing coondogs.
http://youtu.be/qUaY4A-djuE

Last edited by l.lyle on 03-22-2012 at 06:14 AM

Old Post 03-22-2012 06:04 AM