UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Deep and Alone
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Deep and Alone

We used to call them "independent to a fault" and very few hunters wanted one. Now they are called "deep and alone" dogs and everyone wants one. What happened?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-26-2020 03:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

It's called "whatever it takes to win". I believe we've gone way off center with our coon hounds. The modern day competition dog is for the young hunter who can run as fast as their dog. Old guys like me don't have a chance, lol.

Old Post 06-26-2020 03:40 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

If it takes more than one dog to tree one coon I've got the wrong dog!

Old Post 06-26-2020 04:21 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Deep and Alone

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
We used to call them "independent to a fault" and very few hunters wanted one. Now they are called "deep and alone" dogs and everyone wants one. What happened?

Garmin happened. They used to be out of pocket and likely scratched for delay of cast....now you always know which hill to walk the cast up over. That covers deep. As far as alone...somebody realized its easier to "train" one to be alone then it was to breed a better dog that would be "first"

Last edited by Donnie Stevens on 06-26-2020 at 04:58 PM

Old Post 06-26-2020 04:55 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Deep and Alone

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Garmin happened. They used to be out of pocket and likely scratched for delay of cast....now you always know which hill to walk the cast up over. That covers deep. As far as alone...somebody realized its easier to "train" one to be alone then it was to breed a better dog that would be "first"

I grew up hunting “deep and alone” dogs before garmin’s were invented. And the alone part, there are hundredsif not thousands of trees in the woods...no need for your dog to be with mine. And vice versa. Plus there are plenty of naturally independent dogs.

Old Post 06-26-2020 06:11 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

MONEY

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 06-26-2020 06:47 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Take the leash lock out of it there would be less of them. They would get tired of that meat dog shoving coons up their backsides.

Tar

Old Post 06-26-2020 07:15 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BushENG
UKC Forum Member

Yadkintar

They did take the leash lock out......

Alex Bush (317) 698-0817

PKC Silver CH, GRNT CH 'PR' Crow's Hardtime Repo
GRNT CH "PR" Red Ruby Hardtime Heidi RIP
GRNT CH "PR" Turman Creek Crazy Kate RIP

Old Post 06-26-2020 07:27 PM
BushENG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BushENG Click here to Send BushENG a Private Message Find more posts by BushENG Add BushENG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Man there's some funny stuff on this site! .........

Old Post 06-26-2020 07:28 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Yadkintar

quote:
Originally posted by BushENG
They did take the leash lock out......

Not in the $$$kc for the big bucks. Get first strike get deep with a coon and keep everybody on the leash for the whole hunt.

We are in our infancy with the no leash lock.

Tar

Old Post 06-26-2020 07:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Deep and Alone

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

1 hour hunts happened

Old Post 06-26-2020 09:22 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

A coondog should hunt hard off the leash and not know there is another dog in the world. If you line 4 dogs up and turn them loose and none of them pay any attention to the other from the second there turned loose they are almost always going to be alone and there is no other way to call them a coondog. Now am I saying a real coondog will never back; no. I’m just saying s real coondogs ability will put them alone a lot. And often deep and alone.

Old Post 06-26-2020 10:55 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

This type of dog isn't as common as people think

Old Post 06-26-2020 11:00 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
A coondog should hunt hard off the leash and not know there is another dog in the world. If you line 4 dogs up and turn them loose and none of them pay any attention to the other from the second there turned loose they are almost always going to be alone and there is no other way to call them a coondog. Now am I saying a real coondog will never back; no. I’m just saying s real coondogs ability will put them alone a lot. And often deep and alone.

A real coondog will take ole alones track away from him and tree it far enough ahead of him to make him look like the common piece of crap he is. That’s why he is alone either it’s because he has been trained that way or he is jealous of getting out run and out treed.

Tar

Old Post 06-26-2020 11:21 PM
TRP
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion depends on coon population where you are casting. I prefer a dog that will tree Coons behind the “deep and alone dog” but if coon are thin and you have to get deep to find a coon then Mr. Deep and Alone is harder to beat. Either style of dog can win that’s for sure.

Old Post 06-26-2020 11:49 PM
TRP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TRP Click here to Send TRP a Private Message Find more posts by TRP Add TRP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Why should anyone CARE what kind of dog another man hunts? If you are packing a coon dog, it should not bother your dog how another dog hunts. If you get beat by a deep and alone dog, reevaluate what you are hunting, getting beat is ALL on your dog, not the style of the other dogs. No leash lock in UKC means you DO NOT have an excuse. Dave

Old Post 06-27-2020 12:23 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Why should anyone CARE what kind of dog another man hunts? If you are packing a coon dog, it should not bother your dog how another dog hunts. If you get beat by a deep and alone dog, reevaluate what you are hunting, getting beat is ALL on your dog, not the style of the other dogs. No leash lock in UKC means you DO NOT have an excuse. Dave

Dave don’t take this wrong but most the guys on here are talking about $$$ Kc because there is nothing exciting going on at ukc right now. When the major ukc hunts start they will talk about them the local level hunts well if your dog will mully grub an ole coon up you can win somehow lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-27-2020 12:57 AM
turman
UKC Forum Member

The most miserable night Ive ever had on a cast was with a deep and alone dog. At the turn out 3 dogs jammed one 40 yards in front of us and ole deep and alone went 900 yards. Scored the first tree then walked to deep and alone, score that tree and recut and he went 900 yards and treed 75 yards from the trucks. The other dogs split on 2 trees within 100 yards. thats how the whole 2 hours went.

Old Post 06-27-2020 01:05 AM
turman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for turman Click here to Send turman a Private Message Click Here to Email turman Find more posts by turman Add turman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

That's really funny, discussing PKC issues on a UKC FORUM. You mean with all that money PKC is making, they will not let you discuss issues on their FORUM? I have hunted my share of competition hunts and I can honestly say that when I got beat it was mostly by a better coon dog. I have found that the better the coon dog you are hunting the less excuses you will make. To me an excuse is just a man's way of preserving his ego, winners don't make excuses. Dave

Old Post 06-27-2020 01:16 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
This type of dog isn't as common as people think

Best place to find an animal like this is on this ukc message board.

Old Post 06-27-2020 01:49 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave

Lol we are just 6 months in to the no leash lock we haven’t had time to test it at a lot of major hunts yet it’s going to be the bomb. Buuuuut how many $$$ hunts you hunted in ? I been in several ukc hunts before the changes I was leash locked for the whole two hours with a coon on the card only to be beat by strike points I ain’t no ameture when I tell you somthing. It will be my guess there will be sombody on the $$$ board complaining about it next week.

You can’t tree coons on the leash.

Tar

Old Post 06-27-2020 01:50 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
Best place to find an animal like this is on this ukc message board.

Or if that’s what you hunt and won’t admit it. Several on here say they don’t have it but when they got one for sale on the $$$ board it says :

First and first with any company. Deep and alone with two looking down won’t start no trouble but won’t take any.

Tell me it ain’t so !!

Tar

Old Post 06-27-2020 01:55 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

All of my competition hunts were under the old rules and I won my share. The ones that I lost were mostly getting beat by a better coon dog. We all had the occasional hunt where the best dog did not win, but those were rare. I don't care what anyone else is hunting, except a mean dog and I don't like those. I never had the mean dog problems that some on this board seem to have. I never had the problem of getting beat by the deep and alone dogs. Most of this complaining is just excuses for a sorry dog. I use both PKC and UKC FORUMS and the majority of the crying and complaining happens on the UKC FORUM. TREEING COONS that you see will win most casts. Dave

Old Post 06-27-2020 02:16 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
All of my competition hunts were under the old rules and I won my share. The ones that I lost were mostly getting beat by a better coon dog. We all had the occasional hunt where the best dog did not win, but those were rare. I don't care what anyone else is hunting, except a mean dog and I don't like those. I never had the mean dog problems that some on this board seem to have. I never had the problem of getting beat by the deep and alone dogs. Most of this complaining is just excuses for a sorry dog. I use both PKC and UKC FORUMS and the majority of the crying and complaining happens on the UKC FORUM. TREEING COONS that you see will win most casts. Dave

Not if your on the leash and I figure I have hunted in double the cast of most on here and more 3 hr cast than most have hunted in 2 hr. Not brag just fact.

Me and delton tried to figure how many dogs I have titled the other day we never got them all counted one time I made 4 ntch in one month his phone number is 817 - 219 -9844 Not counting all my dogs I finished if I tell you it’s gonna rain on Tuesday get out your umbrella.

Tar

Old Post 06-27-2020 02:35 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You won your share of hunts under the old rules, I bet you didn't complain when you won by leash locking some other handlers. We ALL have hunted under rules that we DID not like, but they applied to everyone. If a man hunts under any set of rules, he should not complain, he accepted those rules when he entered the hunt. Why complain about something that you agreed to abide by, such as a set of rules. A man always has a choice to hunt or not to hunt under anyone's rules. I do not recall being forced to enter a competition hunt and I always knew the rules that I was hunting under. You should know what your dog is before you enter a hunt and if you don't think that your dog can win under the rules, don't enter the hunt. Grown men crying like babies over a rule they knew existed is the silliest thing. Win with honor and act with honor when you don't win. Dave

Old Post 06-27-2020 02:49 AM