UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Getting a dog to hunt farther....
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
NiteHeat
UKC Forum Member

Getting a dog to hunt farther....

Any tips or suggestions? What to do with one that goes out a few hundred yards and circles back? Just ignore him until he leaves again or shout him on out of your direction?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-29-2014 09:02 PM
NiteHeat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NiteHeat Click here to Send NiteHeat a Private Message Click Here to Email NiteHeat Find more posts by NiteHeat Add NiteHeat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat shafer
UKC Forum Member

tip

send it across some open fields that sound help but some dogs well not hunt out that far. if that don't work you my have to fond a new dog

Old Post 10-29-2014 10:06 PM
Pat shafer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat shafer Click here to Send Pat shafer a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat shafer Find more posts by Pat shafer Add Pat shafer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.S. Kennels
UKC Forum Member

How old is the dog...if its a pup i would just keep hunting it and see how it progresses...you can take the hunt out of a dog but i have yet to put more hunt in one...im no expert but thats my 2 cents

The Old Dog

Gunters Hardwoods Hank - Walker - Cumberland River Marvin x Peppermint Pepper

Girly Girl - Feist - Super Sport x Gannons Heidi

The Pups

Gunters Sweet Tn Kandy Kane - Redbone - Kodak x Ruby

Old Post 10-30-2014 04:21 AM
S.S. Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.S. Kennels Click here to Send S.S. Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email S.S. Kennels Find more posts by S.S. Kennels Add S.S. Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe~mcavoy
UKC Forum Member

Cut him loose from the truck up long fence rows or cut him loose on deer let him run them and when he does slide off on a coon shoot it out !

Old Post 10-30-2014 04:52 AM
Joe~mcavoy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe~mcavoy Click here to Send Joe~mcavoy a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe~mcavoy Find more posts by Joe~mcavoy Add Joe~mcavoy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joe~mcavoy
Cut him loose from the truck up long fence rows or cut him loose on deer let him run them and when he does slide off on a coon shoot it out !

Wish i had a yard full of them!!!! They win money!!!!!!

Old Post 10-30-2014 04:16 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5walkrs
UKC Forum Member

Well i have a nice walker dog that use to hunt around 1000 yards and get treed most every drop and was real good on having his coon. Now when i drop him he just straight lines out or hunts til he comes acroos a road and just takes off running the road. He most of the time he will drop off and get treed but don't know what caused him to start doing this. I've owned him from a pup and he's 6 yrs now.

Old Post 10-30-2014 11:45 PM
5walkrs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5walkrs Click here to Send 5walkrs a Private Message Click Here to Email 5walkrs Find more posts by 5walkrs Add 5walkrs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

Any dog with brains knows its easier to run the road. It is your job to let him know its less painful to hunt the woods.

Old Post 10-31-2014 03:03 AM
David Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Morgan Click here to Send David Morgan a Private Message Click Here to Email David Morgan Find more posts by David Morgan Add David Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5walkrs
UKC Forum Member

Yeah that's my plan for him because he's been a good dog til he picked up this nonsence.

Old Post 10-31-2014 04:15 AM
5walkrs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5walkrs Click here to Send 5walkrs a Private Message Click Here to Email 5walkrs Find more posts by 5walkrs Add 5walkrs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

I have seen several dogs ruined by letting them take up road running. Its a simple fix with a garmin and a tritronics. Just stop em when they hit the road take em back to the turn loose spot and send em again. A little patience is needed. The same with going hunting. If they have it in them, just take them to the woods, get a small switch and keep them away from you until they strike. Then start following them with the switch slapping your leg. If they have it in them, it will get better each trip.

Old Post 10-31-2014 01:36 PM
David Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Morgan Click here to Send David Morgan a Private Message Click Here to Email David Morgan Find more posts by David Morgan Add David Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NiteHeat
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by David Morgan
I have seen several dogs ruined by letting them take up road running. Its a simple fix with a garmin and a tritronics. Just stop em when they hit the road take em back to the turn loose spot and send em again. A little patience is needed. The same with going hunting. If they have it in them, just take them to the woods, get a small switch and keep them away from you until they strike. Then start following them with the switch slapping your leg. If they have it in them, it will get better each trip.

thank you sir! Im hunting a heavy lipper dog similar to what you have (I think). Ive also used laser torch and nothing else for years!

Old Post 10-31-2014 02:34 PM
NiteHeat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NiteHeat Click here to Send NiteHeat a Private Message Click Here to Email NiteHeat Find more posts by NiteHeat Add NiteHeat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

niteheat,i find that the more open the woods are,the further a dog will hunt.try hunting him in woods with less underbrush.seems like the better a young dog can see in front of him,the better he hunts. stay away from the road hunting,all you will have is a road runner.

Old Post 11-01-2014 04:39 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJF
UKC Forum Member

just a tip

If you know your dog will come find you just take off walking with out him. He will eventually cross coon tracks and run them. The question is you can always find him but can he find you? A little confidence will help him or her.

Old Post 11-01-2014 11:36 PM
DJF is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DJF Click here to Send DJF a Private Message Click Here to Email DJF Find more posts by DJF Add DJF to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mhardy
niteheat,i find that the more open the woods are,the further a dog will hunt.try hunting him in woods with less underbrush.seems like the better a young dog can see in front of him,the better he hunts. stay away from the road hunting,all you will have is a road runner.

What he said

Plus try this

You can bring 2 dogs when he comes back put him in the box, and hunt the other dog.

Getting mad never helps

Old Post 11-02-2014 07:54 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote