UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunt Test Excellence- Tailgate Talk
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by The Seeker
Some suggestions : Make HTX equal to NT CH in prestige.
Change inspector requirement at least 2 inspectors for every 3 passes instead of different one each pass (will help smaller clubs.)
After dogs makes HTX1, dog will be failed for off game, immediately.
1 hour time limit. (no overtime unless treed during with the hour, like night hunt)
Drop the requirement inspector cannot have bred, trained,or housed the dog.
Inspector and handler or owner of dog are not regular hunting partners.
This is the requirement that killed the HTX hunts at our club as we quickly run out of inspectors that passed a dog that met the above requirement and if (as at the end) only 4 or 5 dogs would show up we couldn't meet the UKC's requirement.
Will this lead to more cheating? Maybe but when 2 people go to the woods there is that chance and if people are going to cheat they will. The night hunts now have cheating and there are sometimes 6 or 7 people present.
To me if you have to cheat either you or your dog aren't much. JMO!

I agree 100% with the suggestions of the seeker and slowpoke, but I also still stand behind my suggestion of having to aquire the HTX title before making gr nite. I think before reaching the highest title in UKC it would be sensible to make a dog prove it not only can get it done in a pack it can also do it on it's own. I've read posts on here before suggesting thar even gr nite title is cheapened today because it'd's too obtainable, this would just be one more hurdle on the way to reaching the top. If you have'nt aquired your HTX before making nt ch you could still be competing for points towards gr nt but the title of gr. would not be awarded until the dog was nitech HTX. jmo

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-29-2014 03:22 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

Our club held HTX test every month this summer. Everyone seemed to enjoy them, and found out they wasn't as easy as you would think. We started off with 14 dogs at our first event and by the end of summer it dropped down to 5. The only problem I had was trying to manage who could inspect who. I think there should be a little slack on how many passes you can receive from the same inspector. Its hard enuff for a guide to put four dogs in four different hunting spots, then have to go back to the club house to change people because somebody might of had a pass by a certain person.

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 10-29-2014 04:24 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Dan Dogs

I agree 100%. The same thing happened at our club. Started out strong and then died down as people earned the HTX on their dogs.

Old Post 10-29-2014 04:33 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Keep it coming boys!

Old Post 10-29-2014 09:07 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

I believe that the value of this program to the people that enjoy it is much more then the chance and worry that some one will CHEAT to get his dog a HTX degree. I believe the rule changes suggested will help to keep the program running. I do believe it shouldn't be tied to the night hunts in any way as they are 2 separate programs. JMO!

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 10-29-2014 09:51 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

HTX

Lots of good ideas being throw'n around. But still need a way to make the HTX title mean more to folks. That's the biggest down fall of it. If it was held in the same regard as a Nite Hunt title that would fix 90% of the problems. Attendance would come up, more clubs would hold them .....

IMO. This is the key to its longevity as a Coonhound Event.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 10-30-2014 01:02 AM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Our club has had probably between 30 or 40 of these, started out pretty good but attendence seems to fizzle out once most of the members get their 3 passes. It would be alot easier on the clubs if they could send guys out in pairs to inspect eachothers dogs.
The draw for me was to be able to get a dog out during quiet time without worrying about gettin pinched.

Old Post 10-30-2014 01:39 AM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HERSHSHUNTIN
UKC Forum Member

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

Every year I try to make Redbone days as that is the breed I follow and hunt. Why don't we push for a HTX hunt a few days before a breed days? I know of some who try to get there a few days early and pleasure hunt before the event. if we could have a HTX hunt it would give those who might want to look at a stud dog or a female you may be interested in getting a pup from. This would give people a chance to see and hear the dogs voice, how it trees etc. on its own. some of the bigger hunts have the slam hunts a few days before, why not a HTX hunt. it wouldn't have to be at the same club , but like the slams a neighboring club. a person looking at the dog might be able to judge it also, leaves are normally on so finding a coon isn't a sure thing. just an idea.

hershtwo@yahoo.com
Life member NRA
Current dogs
GR CH NT CH RED MIGHTY 90-Bo/Sierra
NT.CH.GR CH BEYOND BILLY HTX --Billy the Kid/ Amber
GR CH 1ST & 2ND place wins 90/4 LIFE GUN-HTX==-Willy BOY/Bigtime Britt
Dogs I have owned
Nt ch Gr ch HERSHS HUNTIN RED IKE
NT CH CH HERSHS HUNTIN BUDDY
GR NT CH MILLERS DIRTY RED
NT CH CH LYNN'S CREEK JULIE
GR CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED KATE
CH NITE CH AMBRAW RIVER TIMBER ROCK
NT CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED CLEM
NT CH ROCKY TOP CHERRY

Old Post 10-30-2014 05:19 PM
HERSHSHUNTIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HERSHSHUNTIN Click here to Send HERSHSHUNTIN a Private Message Click Here to Email HERSHSHUNTIN Find more posts by HERSHSHUNTIN Add HERSHSHUNTIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

HTX

I have found judges are harder on dog and hunter in some cases than night hunt judges as they are keenly focused on dog and owner.

In my thoughts they are a good thing that just needs a few tweaks.

Have a good night, Jeff

Old Post 10-30-2014 07:35 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Interesting thread

From an outsider looking in, based on the majority of the responses, it looks like the biggest pitfall is a limited audience. Once a HTX certificate has been achieved, the audience seems to become even more limited. I think it is unrealistic to even think about trying to make a HTX certificate have the same meaning as a Nite Hunt Title/Chamionship degree since it is earned with no competition. Maybe a focus on attracting a larger audience, & maintaining that audience? I don't have a clue how to even begin going about doing that. I personally have no interest in the program or hold any merit in regard to any dog having a HTX certificate. If I am interested in any dog, I am going to go & see the dog do its thing with my own eyes. That being said, I've got some grandchildren growing up. If by chance one of them would be interested in HTX, I would gladly take one of them to participate in one.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 10-30-2014 08:09 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RLenhart
I agree 100% with the suggestions of the seeker and slowpoke, but I also still stand behind my suggestion of having to aquire the HTX title before making gr nite. I think before reaching the highest title in UKC it would be sensible to make a dog prove it not only can get it done in a pack it can also do it on it's own. I've read posts on here before suggesting thar even gr nite title is cheapened today because it'd's too obtainable, this would just be one more hurdle on the way to reaching the top. If you have'nt aquired your HTX before making nt ch you could still be competing for points towards gr nt but the title of gr. would not be awarded until the dog was nitech HTX. jmo

HTX before Grand Nite Champion = Perfect.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 10-30-2014 08:18 PM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke 2012
HTX before Grand Nite Champion = Perfect.

You know, that aint half bad of an idea!

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

The Kemps (Greg, Vickie, Erica, and Noah)
6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 11-01-2014 01:40 AM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

HTX before Grand Night title seems to me like putting the cart before the horse.

I think it would make more sense to have an HTX degree before being eligible to compete in a UKC licensed event.

I say this because a dog should really be able to tree its own coon before it is ever put in a competition event. Once it gets pretty good at treeing its own coon, then you can put it up against the rest of the coonhunting community to see just how your coon treeing machine stacks up against the other hounds around town.

That way everybody benefits from the additional requirements to earn a night hunt title. Well everybody that is except the dog owner. I don't believe the majority of folks raising puppies are using the HTX degree as their guiding light (so to speak) for choosing their desired stud dog. I know I don't, LOL sorry but it's true.

Again JMO, but that is how I see it. Good hunting Guys & Gals!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 11-01-2014 04:11 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
HTX before Grand Night title seems to me like putting the cart before the horse.

I think it would make more sense to have an HTX degree before being eligible to compete in a UKC licensed event.

I say this because a dog should really be able to tree its own coon before it is ever put in a competition event. Once it gets pretty good at treeing its own coon, then you can put it up against the rest of the coonhunting community to see just how your coon treeing machine stacks up against the other hounds around town.

That way everybody benefits from the additional requirements to earn a night hunt title. Well everybody that is except the dog owner. I don't believe the majority of folks raising puppies are using the HTX degree as their guiding light (so to speak) for choosing their desired stud dog. I know I don't, LOL sorry but it's true.

Again JMO, but that is how I see it. Good hunting Guys & Gals!!

I totally agree with everything you say,,I also believe a dog should have to prove it can do it alone,before being put in comp. hunts,,happy hunting everyone

Old Post 11-02-2014 12:13 AM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
catfishcraig
UKC Forum Member

Make it a championship degree. Put on the papers htx champion then grand htx champion. I personally have never been in a hunt test but plan on it in the future, if my pups turn out lol. I agree on having the htx before entering night hunts it would definitely give the nite champion and grand night titles more prestige. IMO

Old Post 11-03-2014 11:57 PM
catfishcraig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for catfishcraig Click here to Send catfishcraig a Private Message Find more posts by catfishcraig Add catfishcraig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

If you make the HTX easier to get by easing inspector requirements and loosening rules, then the title means less. If it means less, fewer people will respect or pursue it.

I wouldn't link the HTX to nite hunt titles. You will cost entries, in one venue or the other. There are dogs that show up at both HTX and nite hunts who can't tree their own coon....

Overall, I think the HTX program is running well and doing what it was intended to do. Its not particularly hard to get but not just a matter of showing up, either. You put your dog out there by itself and there isn't much room for excuses. Either the dog can tree a coon, or not.

Like a lot of clubs we've seen it start out strong and then attendance taper off to almost nothing. Qualified inspectors are harder to get. One change I'm considering more at the club level is to require a person to inspect a dog for each time they have their dog inspected. IMO, everyone who comes, even those from out of the area, should plan to inspect a dog, as well as have their dog inspected. It puts a burden on a club to have guys show up from out of the area and expect to get their dog inspected early and then go home. IMO, all prospective entrants need to contribute as much as the club members do.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 11-04-2014 01:12 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krazyassndn
UKC Forum Member

I think anyone that says you should have to have the htx title before you can hunt in a hunt is cutting the head off of coon hunting some people don't have place to hunt some go to hunts just so they have a place to hunt what about the youth there going to have to htx there dog before they can go have fun at a hunt with there dad come on guys if your so worried about the htx being on there then only breed to a dog that has the tittle of htx there is nothing else to worry about if people are going to cheat you are not going to change that they will find a way on the htx hunts then be right there in the nite hunts but theres not enough htx hunts to even think about trying that and I think ukc would lose a lot of money and members and hunters in the long run and I think most of you all know it too

CH'PR'LEE'S INSANE TREE ROCK N ROBIN "ALL GRAND PED"
CH(1 WIN TOWARDS GRCH)'PR'LEE'S WILD CLOVER ALL OVER(AKA "CLOVE" WILD BUTCH X WILD CASEY FEMALE)
'PR' LEE'S WILDCARDS X DOMINOS II (AKA DJ) (DOMINO JR)
CREEK COUNTY
COONHUNTERS PRESIDENT
UKC LICENSED BENCH SHOW JUDGE

Old Post 11-04-2014 01:32 PM
krazyassndn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for krazyassndn Click here to Send krazyassndn a Private Message Find more posts by krazyassndn Add krazyassndn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

I realize you should never say never but I can tell you at this time, I personally have no intention of ever requiring someone to participate in one event before they can participate in another. Not Nite Champion before you can bench show. Not HTX before you can Grand Niite. Etc. etc. We want to provide choices and opportunities for people to participate in whatever they enjoy. It's one of those things that people are opinionated about but I don't see it happening.

On the other hand, I do agree with many of the suggestions and appreciate the feedback. I'm confident there are changes we can make regarding the inspection requirements and also putting more emphasis on the title. This type of format will only become more popular in the future. I firmly believe that.

Old Post 11-04-2014 01:45 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ringo08
UKC Forum Member

I personally love the HTX hunts. They are more laid back, and centered more towards hunting, rather than competing. I think 1 way to increase the attendance of the HTX hunts would be to add the title to the reproducing percentage. This may have already been mention, if so, I apologize.

Nitech Ch 'PR' Cornell's Hardwood Hurricane HTX

GrSqch 2017 Arklahoma Winter Classic Champion
The Outlaw Dottie

Old Post 11-04-2014 04:14 PM
Ringo08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringo08 Click here to Send Ringo08 a Private Message Find more posts by Ringo08 Add Ringo08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Events

The more events people enjoy the better it is be it competion hunts, HTX, field trials, swims, shows and any combo of all. In Illinois we are often seeing many different combonitions of all the above. Competion gets tougher all the time. That is a credit to dog people and the dogs. Me and my son enjoy it and traveling to different places to swim and field trial.

Todd and Company good job, Jeff A.

Old Post 11-04-2014 04:36 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John D
If you make the HTX easier to get by easing inspector requirements and loosening rules, then the title means less. If it means less, fewer people will respect or pursue it.

I wouldn't link the HTX to nite hunt titles. You will cost entries, in one venue or the other. There are dogs that show up at both HTX and nite hunts who can't tree their own coon....

Overall, I think the HTX program is running well and doing what it was intended to do. Its not particularly hard to get but not just a matter of showing up, either. You put your dog out there by itself and there isn't much room for excuses. Either the dog can tree a coon, or not.

Like a lot of clubs we've seen it start out strong and then attendance taper off to almost nothing. Qualified inspectors are harder to get. One change I'm considering more at the club level is to require a person to inspect a dog for each time they have their dog inspected. IMO, everyone who comes, even those from out of the area, should plan to inspect a dog, as well as have their dog inspected. It puts a burden on a club to have guys show up from out of the area and expect to get their dog inspected early and then go home. IMO, all prospective entrants need to contribute as much as the club members do.

everyone that has there dog inspected at our club always inspects someone elses. Not required, but always ends up that way. Nobody has complained yet..

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Last edited by Dan Dogs on 11-04-2014 at 07:09 PM

Old Post 11-04-2014 07:04 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H Stonesifer
UKC Forum Member

All dogs should have an htx title before they enter a register hunt.This would get rid of the me too dogs that can't tree a coon by themselves.There would be better quality hounds out there.I would breed to a hound with an htx title quicker than one without. Just my opinon.But I know,its all about money.

Old Post 11-04-2014 09:58 PM
H Stonesifer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H Stonesifer Click here to Send H Stonesifer a Private Message Click Here to Email H Stonesifer Find more posts by H Stonesifer Add H Stonesifer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote