UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunt Test Excellence- Tailgate Talk
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Wayne

Hunt Test fall under the same jurisdictions that regular Nite Hunts do, where you may not harvest any animals on your hunt. We are however kicking around the idea of making the Hunt Test Excellence degree a title, or, making it a more challenging event. Any ideas floating around out there that you guys would like to suggest???

Another hint for you guys wanting to have more success at yout HTX hunts, you may want to look into advertising a little bit to the Cur/Feist people as well. Curs and Coonhounds can enter the same UKC HTX Hunts, since each dog is evaluated individually. I have yet to be to an HTX Hunt personally where a cur or feist was present. Just a suggestion, but it may help everyones numbers to know that

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 09-03-2014 at 03:29 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-03-2014 03:27 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

As an "early adopter" of the HTX tests, I was able to have one of my dogs finish as one of the "firsts" (two dogs finished on the same night, so we can both claim that distinction) I can say this much.

If anyone thinks that an HTX degree is "easy"...think again. Yes, a dog should be able to go out alone and in an hour tree a coon..I agree, but when you put time limits on the dog, and a set of rules, the landscape changes and it becomes a little more difficult.

My dog was already a Grand Night Champion in UKC, a Supreme Grand Night Champion in AKC, and a PKC Champion. He had competed in and placed in the top of National Hunts, and was in the top 16 of World hunts....so yes, he should be able to walk through this hunt test. I entered him for two reasons....#1 was to support the local club, and #2 was in an attempt to remove any doubt as to if he could tree coon alone.

At the end of the day, he did exactly as I expected and earned the degree without fanfare or difficulty. BUT aside from personal satisfaction, it means NOTHING to anyone but me.

Until we as houndsmen embrace the HTX as an accomplishment, and until HTX actually MEANS somethig to us as competition hunters it is just an exercise

I have been at this game for 40 years. I have seen the landscape change from when it was VERY difficult to make a dog a Night Champion, because you had to beat 100 registered dogs at a night hunt to get a first place win, to today when it is not unusual to have a whole cast of dogs less than a year old competing with three other dogs in "the other cast" for that first place.....and it cheapens the title of Night Champion. Grand Nights were once rare as hens teeth, because it was difficult to finish one, and when you had one....you had something. Today if you haul a dog that will get treed enough, you can make it a Grand!

Titles today are "cheap"....HTX is the cheapest of all of them in a lot of folks eyes... Until we as hunters and houndsmen embrace this program, and until we find a way to place some kind of value on the degree.....it is never going to take a front seat. Bottom line is nobody CARES if a dog has an HTX title. Maybe Mr. Clean the two time National Grand Night, multiple World Champion needs to get an HTX title to "prove" he can tree a coon...

I am currently in the camp that believes that ALL dogs entering a UKC licensed hunt should have to complete an HTX degree before they can enter a registered cast...that would raise the bar for HTX hunts, and raise the bar on all of the other degrees while giving clubs a shot in the arm!!!!

Old Post 09-05-2014 07:30 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

Joe,
I too, have been around for many years at this game. 35 to be exact, I have a UKC Nt. Ch. and he is a *Kc Ch. I have no desire to finish him to a Gr. Nt. because of two things. 1. Money as I have a family to support and 2. The title of Gr. Nt. now means nothing in just about everyones eyes. but exactly as you have stated we must embrace this program before it takes off. I for one am a big supporter of this program, but no one around here even cares about going to any events anymore and we all know alot of the reasons why. I wish clubs around here would help get this program going and again make this a title of some sort. Thanks Joe, you put alot of things in perspective.

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

The Kemps (Greg, Vickie, Erica, and Noah)
6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 09-09-2014 07:40 PM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Krut
UKC Forum Member

Htx

I think the HTX hunts are great. I have taken 2 of my dogs to HTX titles. I'm disabled and have to get a friend or someone else to handle my dogs in UKC nite hunts. I enjoy the HTX because I can handle my own dogs. I also like the fact that it proves the dog can hunt and tree it's own coon. A few things need to happen to make it a better program. The UKC needs to recognize the dog's
offspring as HTX on their registration just like GN 2 NTCH6 GRW 3 etc. Also announce the degree in CHB. I think a little recognition will help with the attendance of the HTX hunts. I will be going to make as many as I can because it gives me a chance to make new friends, see some different dogs, and hunt new woods. Thanks for reading .Dan

Old Post 09-10-2014 08:58 PM
Dan Krut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Krut Click here to Send Dan Krut a Private Message Find more posts by Dan Krut Add Dan Krut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

bingo Dan!

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 09-12-2014 07:18 PM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

BTT

Old Post 10-27-2014 01:37 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pat endel
UKC Forum Member

HTX

These are the most intelligent post I have ever read on here.I also enjoy the htx hunts. Pat

Old Post 10-27-2014 02:26 PM
pat endel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pat endel Click here to Send pat endel a Private Message Click Here to Email pat endel Find more posts by pat endel Add pat endel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I just checked the schedule. Indiana has one, Michigan has none. There aren't any within 4 hours of where I live. There are however 10 Nite Hunts in just the month of Nov in my state of Indiana alone.

Joe is right, the only way it will ever fly is if they force it down our throats. No HTX title, no entry to the Nite Hunts. That should really work well.......for all the other KC's.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 10-27-2014 03:45 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

no night champion degree until it passes a htx test is the simple fix !

Old Post 10-27-2014 04:13 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by groworg1
no night champion degree until it passes a htx test is the simple fix !

again bingo!

Mr. ACCURATE!

6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 10-27-2014 07:36 PM
John D
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't link the Ntch degree to HTX. I know of guys who will enter a HTX who won't enter a nite hunt. And, vice versa. Why drive them away when participation is already at an all time low?

I love the concept of HTX. It has more to do with what coonhunting is about, than any other organized activity.

We've only had minor problems in my club with HTX and they were all solve-able. However, one lingering problem is coming up with enough qualified inspectors. Interest was high when we first started having them and guys came to help. Now we are down to 1-2 dogs and nobody wants to inspect.

I may suggest to my club that for every dog a person enters in an HTX they must also inspect a dog. The club members are doing this anyway. Its the guys that drive a ways and want to hunt early and leave that cause a burden. IMO, someone coming to a HTX should assume they will get to hunt their dog AND that they will be asked to inspect another dog. Is that too much to ask?

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 10-27-2014 07:54 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

HTX

Just got it on my dog. Was a good time. I got them started at our club, at first the idea came with a lot of resistance. It took another year of "talks" to get them voted in. Once we got it off the ground participation was good we had about 10-12 dogs one night. Now a year later it's almost dead. Members got their passes and don't come. Nite Hunts saturate our area making it hard to find hunters/good night to have them. In fact I was the only dog entered the other night when I got my final pass. Not sure what the future holds for them, but it ain't good at our club. UKC needs to get behind this program and sink their teeth in it. These title don't even show up on a dogs TRL or get that much promotion. SOS-HTX-SOS

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 10-27-2014 10:23 PM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Any program that cannot stand on it's own without a mandate from the UKC that makes a person earn one degree to complete a different one is doomed to failure.
To make someone earn a HTX degree before you can complete a NT CH. This is the same old argument about show and Nt Ch.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 10-28-2014 04:17 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

HTX

I think making it a requirement to enter a night hunt would be a mistake. Like some peole on here I believe it would hurt attendance at the night hunts. I think the perfect spot for HTX to be would be between nitech. and grand nite, before moving on to grand your dog must have it's HTX title.

Old Post 10-28-2014 04:40 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

For all you people that think you should have a HTX degree before making a NT CH or GR NT CH here is my challenge to you. Volunteer to be the (HTX) person at your club. Do the work that it takes to run the HTX program. I did this at our club, then come back on here in one year and tell us your opinion.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 10-28-2014 04:53 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by The Seeker
For all you people that think you should have a HTX degree before making a NT CH or GR NT CH here is my challenge to you. Volunteer to be the (HTX) person at your club. Do the work that it takes to run the HTX program. I did this at our club, then come back on here in one year and tell us your opinion.

I understand there is some work involved, but it should'nt be any more than running a night hunt, and the lack of help and participation is kinda the point to making it a requirement at some point before making gr nt ch. If we all needed it there would be more participation. jmo.

Old Post 10-28-2014 05:13 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RLenhart
I understand there is some work involved, but it should'nt be any more than running a night hunt, and the lack of help and participation is kinda the point to making it a requirement at some point before making gr nt ch. If we all needed it there would be more participation. jmo.

The work didn't bother me. I can tell you if UKC would make this a requirement most small clubs in my area will either fold up or go to another KC for their hunts.
The HTX hunts need some rule changes and a few other things and have them mean as much as the other degrees and maybe they will survive. They have to be a completely separate program because they do appeal to a different group of people then competition hunters. JMO!

You can't fix STUPID!

Last edited by Bob Hennessey on 10-28-2014 at 08:09 PM

Old Post 10-28-2014 08:00 PM
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

HTX

quote:
The work didn't bother me. I can tell you if UKC would make this a requirement most small clubs in my area will either fold up or go to another KC for their hunts.

Your probably right I guess I would just "like" to see the HTX title carry more importance, but I sertainly don't want to see it hurt the attendance at the regular night hunts.

Old Post 10-28-2014 08:11 PM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

IF, UKC made it a requirement that to be awarded the rightfully earned competition hunt degree that the HTX degree also had to be earned, the HTX degree would be questionable at best. There would be a lot of HTX degrees that would be awarded that wouldn't be rightfully earned.

Old Post 10-28-2014 08:42 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Some suggestions : Make HTX equal to NT CH in prestige.
Change inspector requirement at least 2 inspectors for every 3 passes instead of different one each pass (will help smaller clubs.)
After dogs makes HTX1, dog will be failed for off game, immediately.
1 hour time limit. (no overtime unless treed during with the hour, like night hunt)
Drop the requirement inspector cannot have bred, trained,or housed the dog.
Inspector and handler or owner of dog are not regular hunting partners.
This is the requirement that killed the HTX hunts at our club as we quickly run out of inspectors that passed a dog that met the above requirement and if (as at the end) only 4 or 5 dogs would show up we couldn't meet the UKC's requirement.
Will this lead to more cheating? Maybe but when 2 people go to the woods there is that chance and if people are going to cheat they will. The night hunts now have cheating and there are sometimes 6 or 7 people present.
To me if you have to cheat either you or your dog aren't much. JMO!

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 10-28-2014 11:58 PM
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Change inspector requirement at least 2 inspectors for every 3 passes instead of different one each pass (will help smaller clubs.)
1 hour time limit. (no overtime unless treed during with the hour, like night hunt)
This is the requirement that killed the HTX hunts at our club as we quickly run out of inspectors that passed a dog that met the above requirement and if (as at the end) only 4 or 5 dogs would show up we couldn't meet the UKC's requirement.
Will this lead to more cheating? Maybe but when 2 people go to the woods there is that chance and if people are going to cheat they will. The night hunts now have cheating and there are sometimes 6 or 7 people present.
To me if you have to cheat either you or your dog aren't much. JMO!

All of the above - And it would be nice to be able to send to guys out and let them judge each other. We had a lot of second round meeting back up to swap so the guy that just judged could now get judged. Like what was said above, if someone wants to cheat they will. But I see this happening a very small % of the time. Most will go at it honestly if they knew they had another chance again next week and just a few miles down the road instead of next month and 2 hrs drive down the road.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 10-29-2014 01:20 AM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

And it would be nice to be able to send to guys out and let them judge each other. We had a lot of second round meeting back up to swap so the guy that just judged could now get judged.
I knew I was forgetting one, Thanks

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 10-29-2014 03:19 AM
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

I don't competition hunt,but I went to a HTX hunt,and loved it,,I just wish there were more in my area,,if I want to attend a HTX hunt,I have to drive 100 plus miles,and that is not an option for me,I live on a budget and money is very tight,I would attend many of them if they were closer

Old Post 10-29-2014 07:29 AM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

quote:

Some good ideas! Corey maybe you need to form a Hunt Test Committee to gather input and make suggestions for rule changes?

Old Post 10-29-2014 01:57 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

People are going to cheat to earn a title no matter what rules are in place. Most local people know the ones who cheat to earn their titles and never do anything about it.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 10-29-2014 02:17 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote