UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunt Test Excellence- Tailgate Talk
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Hunt Test Excellence- Tailgate Talk

Each month in the COONHOUND BLOODLINES, I will be featuring an article called "Tailgate Talk" (formerly known as HTX = Coon Dog) , covering updates and discussion concerning the Hunt Test Program and the hunters involved.

I wanted to start this thread to begin getting some feedback and testimonials for my articles from hunters like you! Anything pertaining to the Hunt Tests may be discussed. If you have any feedback, 2 cents, or testimonials, please contact me at cgruver@ukcdogs.com!

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 09-26-2014 at 07:52 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-25-2014 02:53 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

HTX hunts are exceptional hunts and I want to give a thumbs up to this program. Some folks might think this is an easy task, but I have saw where on certain occasions even some Gr. Nt. Ch. dogs have failed a test or two. So, it is a very challenging program that is good for our sport. It is great for everyone, the beginner, the person who has lost a step or two, and the person who wants to take a break from the occasional nite hunts.
In the future if I have a female to get bred, I would like to see the stud dog have this title on his pedigree.
I would also like to see this become a championship degree of some sorts.
But, kudos to UKC for this program as no other KC has tried and is working toward things of this nature for our future, and for that us hunters should be grateful.
Your friend in hunting! Greg K.

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

The Kemps (Greg, Vickie, Erica, and Noah)
6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 07-31-2014 12:10 AM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

Sounds great to me,,I've only ever been in one HTX hunt ever and that was at our local club this year,,,and I loved it,,,it is perfect for the pleasure hunters and disabled,,,I am both,I can't hunt the ukc nite hunts cause of nerve damage in my legs and can't keep up with the other guys cause they seem to want to run to the tree,,so that leaves me out of hunting those hunts,,,I just wish there were more HTX hunts around locally so I could attend them,,where I'm from,our club only had one this year on its schedule,,if I want to attend others,I have to go a distance which isn't a option for me,but I would sure enjoy reading about them

Old Post 08-01-2014 05:31 AM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakenda creek b
UKC Forum Member

Im into the nite hunts and really enjoy them but Ive been in these HTX hunts and they are fun. I took a 15 year old kid that hunts with me to one and used it to teach him the nite hunt rules. It isn't as easy as people think. You've got to tree one and FIND it in 1 hour. If treeing a coon and finding it in an hour is so easy the nite hunt scores in the summer would be higher. Good job UKC on promoting this program.

Old Post 08-01-2014 05:57 AM
wakenda creek b is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakenda creek b Click here to Send wakenda creek b a Private Message Click Here to Email wakenda creek b Find more posts by wakenda creek b Add wakenda creek b to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

HTX HUNTS

Absolutly for everyone, and every dog. They are my favorite Ukc Event by far, and I hunt a lot of them.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 08-01-2014 04:03 PM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amblue
UKC Forum Member

HTX BUTCH GLASS NORTH CENTRAL KY CHC PRESIDENT WE SCHEDULE A HUNT EVERY CLUB MEETING NIGHT FIRST TUESDAY OF MONTH WE ALMOST ALWAYS HAVE 3 TO AS MANY AS 7 EACH NIGHT WE HAVE NEVER HAD ANYTHING BUT FUN ON THESE HUNTS I AM PERSONALLY A BLUETICK MAN BUT WHN YOU ARE JUDGING ANOTHER BREED YOU AUTOMATICLY PULL FOR THEM TO GET THAT PASS WE HAVE SEVERAL THAT DO NOT HUNT ANY BUT THE HTX IF YOU EARN YOUR 3 PASS AT OUR CLUB OR CHERRY TREE OR BULLITT COUNTY WE WILL GIVE YOU AN HTX CHAMPION HAT TO SHOW YOUR ACHIEVEMENT ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE HTX PROGRAM GIVE ME A CALL 502-922-4274

Old Post 08-02-2014 07:40 PM
amblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amblue Click here to Send amblue a Private Message Click Here to Email amblue Find more posts by amblue Add amblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

nice job amblue!

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 08-04-2014 01:29 PM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pttm08
UKC Forum Member

I personally like them. I have a great pleasure dog but he is just not up to speed on the nite hunts. He is well bred and his faults are probably something I created. I have put them in the HTX hunts and titled him. We just started up a new club and the first thing we did was set up two of them. We are going to try to have at least one a month. I really like that idea amblue that also would help get people out.
Great program keep it going.

Home of

PR CH Big Blue Buster HTX
PR CH Angle Plantation's Red Jasper

Let's get Ticked

Old Post 08-04-2014 06:21 PM
pttm08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pttm08 Click here to Send pttm08 a Private Message Click Here to Email pttm08 Find more posts by pttm08 Add pttm08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for your input so far guys! It's really helping me out a lot, you guys can discuss whatever you want, feel free to! Any suggestions you guys have for the program??

Old Post 08-05-2014 04:47 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakenda creek b
UKC Forum Member

Ive talked to several people that would love to try them but they cant find the schedule for them. Maybe put a section in the back of the book next to the upcoming nite hunts section. I think this program will get a lot of people switched over to try the nite hunts. The people that have heard that all competition hunters are cheaters will go to the HTX hunts and meet a few of the comp hunters and form there own opinion.

Old Post 08-07-2014 01:31 AM
wakenda creek b is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakenda creek b Click here to Send wakenda creek b a Private Message Click Here to Email wakenda creek b Find more posts by wakenda creek b Add wakenda creek b to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

They do have a section in the back of the book for HTX hunts

Old Post 08-09-2014 12:42 AM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
e redtick
UKC Forum Member

For the most update listing go to their home page on here has more than the book

Old Post 08-09-2014 05:42 PM
e redtick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for e redtick Click here to Send e redtick a Private Message Click Here to Email e redtick Find more posts by e redtick Add e redtick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakenda creek b
UKC Forum Member

I have looked at the section in the book. Its not updated at all. The 3 htx hunts I went to wasn't in there. The website is a better listing.

Old Post 08-11-2014 09:24 PM
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

We had around 4-6 hunters showing up for the HTX hunts. Finding judges was a real challenge. There needs to be a change to that rule. It needs to be more club friendly. Because if you just have 4 to 6 people showing up, somebody's gonna end up judging the same dog twice???? Don't put a limit on how many times a dog can be judged the same person. I understand why you set it up that way, but we need more participation locally before that can realistically work. Jmo

Old Post 08-12-2014 02:16 PM
bobbycagle1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbycagle1 Click here to Send bobbycagle1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobbycagle1 Find more posts by bobbycagle1 Add bobbycagle1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

September Issue

My first "Tailgate Talk" article will be featured in the upcoming September issue of Coonhound Bloodlines. This column was formally know as "HTX = Coondog". Read it and let me know what you guys think Should have a lot more "meat" to it then normal.

Old Post 08-21-2014 02:52 PM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bobbycagle1
I understand why you set it up that way, but we need more participation locally before that can realistically work. Jmo

You said a mouthful right there. 2 different inspectors out of 3 passes would be enough in my opinion. Market the HTX program stronger and get more people interested and then 3 different inspectors shouldn't be as hard of a requirement to meet.

Old Post 08-22-2014 07:00 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

Its a great program, but that one particular rule has done us in. We really can't participate anymore. Until that changes. There's just not enough folks coming out to make that rule work!

Old Post 08-22-2014 08:10 PM
bobbycagle1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbycagle1 Click here to Send bobbycagle1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobbycagle1 Find more posts by bobbycagle1 Add bobbycagle1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Bobby I saw the same thing at our club. Started out doing good with the HTX hunts and attendance was decent but when some of the other members finished their dogs to HTX they stopped coming and attendance dropped. I was still going and had more dogs of mine that I wanted to finish but I ended up inspecting peoples dogs that weren't local and couldn't get my dogs inspected. There are very few other clubs that hold them within driving distance for me to take my dogs to so I had a couple dogs that didn't get finished after their first pass. Great program just wish it would catch on better.

Old Post 08-22-2014 10:07 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

I LIKED THE ONES I WENT TO. JUST WISH THERE WERE MORE AROUND HERE.

HUNTED IN MORE TESTS THAN I PASSED. LOL. GOOD TIME EACH ONE.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 08-23-2014 02:14 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

Their great hunts! But managing them is another thing.

Old Post 08-24-2014 03:38 AM
Chris Dillard
UKC Forum Member

HTX HUNTS

In my opinion the best thing UKC has ever done for the Sport of Coonhunting.
I recently finished GRWCH GRNITECH GRCH DILLARD'S WHITE OAK PRIDE HTX in the hunt tests. It has given me another arena to showcase my hound's abilities to other hunters that may have not been big English fans before, but now want a pup off my stud having seen him go. Great job UKC.

Old Post 08-26-2014 08:36 PM
Chris Dillard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Dillard Click here to Send Chris Dillard a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris Dillard Find more posts by Chris Dillard Add Chris Dillard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

Chris this is one scenario, I have been talking about also.

Mr. ACCURATE!

6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 08-27-2014 12:24 AM
Don Chilton
UKC Forum Member

HTX hunts are exceptional hunts and I think they are the best program that UKC has came up with in years. I have hunted with too many so called NITECH that could not even tree a coon by their self. I believe that you should be able earn some kind of championship degree just like NITECH and GRNITECH do.

812-508-9235 Cell

Old Post 08-27-2014 02:21 AM
Don Chilton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Don Chilton Click here to Send Don Chilton a Private Message Click Here to Email Don Chilton Find more posts by Don Chilton Add Don Chilton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

I agree Don!

Mr. ACCURATE!

6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 08-28-2014 12:20 AM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

HTX

wish more would pop up around here !!! What type of incentive can clubs earn by having them ?? Can we have em during season so coon could be harvested ?? Combined with big coon contests etc ??

Old Post 09-01-2014 02:57 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote