UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How would you score?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

How would you score?

While Judging a cast this past Saturday I Had a tough call to make.

Last drop not much time left. Cast 3 dogs lose. 2 of the dogs were struck in at around 38 seconds into the minute about 50 yards away. Both barked 2 times. Then quiet. I let a minute pass. Then informed the 2 handlers that they needed to show a track or be minused for babbling. Another minute went by and they opened back up about 250 yards away. I stated they were minused. One wanted a vote and of course they voted to not minus them.

Would a MOH side with the cast vote in this case or the judge?

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-11-2018 01:58 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

The surest thing in the world is that you can never predict how any MOH will rule on a judgement call such as babbling. I honestly think his/her ruling will depend more on what they think of you and what they think of the others as than the case you make.
With that said, in a scenerio as described above, I'd say the judge made the right call. I'd also bet if he knows he right, he takes it back. If he's trying to shade someone, he let's it go.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 07-11-2018 02:14 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: How would you score?

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
While Judging a cast this past Saturday I Had a tough call to make.

Last drop not much time left. Cast 3 dogs lose. 2 of the dogs were struck in at around 38 seconds into the minute about 50 yards away. Both barked 2 times. Then quiet. I let a minute pass. Then informed the 2 handlers that they needed to show a track or be minused for babbling. Another minute went by and they opened back up about 250 yards away. I stated they were minused. One wanted a vote and of course they voted to not minus them.

Would a MOH side with the cast vote in this case or the judge?

I don't like a babbler. That being said down here in this thick stuff I wouldn't call that babbling jmo.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 02:18 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: How would you score?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I don't like a babbler. That being said down here in this thick stuff I wouldn't call that babbling jmo.

Tar

So it's thick enough that a dog can smell enough track to open up and not smell it again for 250 yards...........and that's just a continuation of the same track? Not bloody likely.

One huge difference between UKC's and PKC's babbling rule. PKC's rule requires the dog to move the track out. UKC's rule DOES NOT! It just says "struck where no track is apparent". UKC makes no requirement to move that track anywhere.
Another Bluetick rule.😅

Last edited by JiM on 07-11-2018 at 02:55 PM

Old Post 07-11-2018 02:53 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Look at your watch Jim 38 seconds before they barked and 50 yrds is plenty far enough away to find a coon and then just a couple barks and move out I don't like a babbling dog but that don't fit the mold to me.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:04 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Look at your watch Jim 38 seconds before they barked and 50 yrds is plenty far enough away to find a coon and then just a couple barks and move out I don't like a babbling dog but that don't fit the mold to me.

Tar

So what is babbling then ?

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:09 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

Sorry Tar, where did I get the 250 yards. I agree.
And again, if we are talking UKC's rule, then they dont have to move it anyway.

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:12 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:

UKC defines babbling very specifically. It is striking a dog where no track is apparent. Total judgement. Nothing else.

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:14 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:

Well they got a minute before you have to strike them most are rattling every breath before then and by time the minute is up they are deep and you can't do anything about it. Your hunt describes our pleasure hunts right now we turn loose in the plumbs or grapes the get struck where they been feeding before dark bad tracks and they have to drift out to pick up the track. I have hunted with some well trained babblers and your case don't fit the mold to me.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:21 PM
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
UKC defines babbling very specifically. It is striking a dog where no track is apparent. Total judgement. Nothing else.

I know how they define it Jim, but I want to know how tar would judge babbling?

It's my thought that anytime you strike right off the bat you are rolling the dice. For one thing it just doesn't look good when they open quick and then shut up until in a totally different area. Most times you know your dog and you know weather your dog likes to bark out of excitement or if it rarely ever barks without purpose.

This was the last drop and dogs hadn't babbled the first 3 but that to me is irrelevant. So many hunters think babbling is dogs barking out of excitement as soon as turned loose and it is.

But UKC suggest babbling can be judged anytime during the cast where dogs are struck where no track is evident.

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:24 PM
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Well they got a minute before you have to strike them most are rattling every breath before then and by time the minute is up they are deep and you can't do anything about it. Your hunt describes our pleasure hunts right now we turn loose in the plumbs or grapes the get struck where they been feeding before dark bad tracks and they have to drift out to pick up the track. I have hunted with some well trained babblers and your case don't fit the mold to me.

Tar

If you are being judged by me and you strike your dog right off weather a old bad track or not and it covers a large area before showing that track again I can promise I will minus you everytime. That's the risk you took when striking right off.

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:27 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If 2 dogs go out and aren't barking off the lead and then just bark 2 times and shut up, then why did they open? Sounds to me like they barked at something. I would say that "a track was evident". Babbling is babbling. Time, distance, number of barks really has nothing to do with it.

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
If 2 dogs go out and aren't barking off the lead and then just bark 2 times and shut up, then why did they open? Sounds to me like they barked at something. I would say that "a track was evident". Babbling is babbling. Time, distance, number of barks really has nothing to do with it.

More old school logic where the only way babbling can be judged is when they bark off the lead...

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:42 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Trevor, would you of made the same call if they would of struck after the minute?

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:50 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
Trevor, would you of made the same call if they would of struck after the minute?

Nobody but Donald Trump has balls that big.

Old Post 07-11-2018 04:06 PM
Blaze2014
Banned

Benefit to dog. Hard to answer when your not on the cast.

Old Post 07-11-2018 04:10 PM
Blaze2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze2014 Click here to Send Blaze2014 a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze2014 Add Blaze2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B-52 Bomber
UKC Forum Member

Sleepy Head good question. What if it was a minute and 38 seconds and the stuck in 200 yards away and didn’t bark again for another 250? To me two barks isn’t babbling but then again each judge is different.

BENTON LA

Old Post 07-11-2018 04:19 PM
B-52 Bomber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B-52 Bomber Click here to Send B-52 Bomber a Private Message Click Here to Email B-52 Bomber Find more posts by B-52 Bomber Add B-52 Bomber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:

No I would not have. Determining babbling is tough to impossible once dogs get some distance away. But if a handler has the nerve to strike right off he deserves what he gets. Good or bad.

I encourage any of you to enter a hunt this week in either kennel club and strike your dog right off. If it doesn't open back up and prove a track in a reasonable distance let us know how you faired. I judge almost every cast I'm on and I try to follow the rules and judge with integrity but there's always room for improvement.

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-11-2018 04:25 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Nobody but Donald Trump has balls that big.

MAGA balls

Old Post 07-11-2018 04:39 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
va.b&t
UKC Forum Member

I thought not having to strike your dog on or before the third bark with in the first minute was a rule added in ukc to protect everyones babbling dogs. I know dogs that don't open but once every couple hundred yards or so you going to minus him because he hit a track under the minute.

pr Iowa import Deliela
grntch taylors black powder

Old Post 07-11-2018 04:46 PM
va.b&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for va.b&t Click here to Send va.b&t a Private Message Click Here to Email va.b&t Find more posts by va.b&t Add va.b&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
No I would not have. Determining babbling is tough to impossible once dogs get some distance away. But if a handler has the nerve to strike right off he deserves what he gets. Good or bad.

I encourage any of you to enter a hunt this week in either kennel club and strike your dog right off. If it doesn't open back up and prove a track in a reasonable distance let us know how you faired. I judge almost every cast I'm on and I try to follow the rules and judge with integrity but there's always room for improvement.

If you wouldn't minus after the minute in the exact same situation other than the the time. No reason to minus before the minute either

Old Post 07-11-2018 04:51 PM
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If you wouldn't minus after the minute in the exact same situation other than the the time. No reason to minus before the minute either

Let me know how many times you've seen a dog minused for babbling after the minute?

Not striking before the minute is a courtesy. If the dogs are legitimately struck it should be very obvious to all on the cast and there should be no questions.

Striking right off just to have your hound move on out to new area is simply put a form of cheating. Trying to gain undeserved points is exactly what it is. Trying to gain an unfair advantage and I don't consider it sportsmanlike in any way. Most get ticked drawing the ones that leave barking and never shut up, at least with those types you know exactly what you're getting.

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-11-2018 05:15 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

other drops

This wasn't the first drop off had they been babbling might affect my answer

Old Post 07-11-2018 05:26 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Trevor, I would have given them minus also. I think you have seen me do it. I would do it after the minute also if I can see the dogs and know what they are doing. Head up running each other barking = babbling. If they were in the woods and I could not tell what they were doing all i can do is apply the 8. I will minus a dog for babbling at anytime but I need to be able to see them in most cases, but that's not how it has to be done. Its just how I prefer to do it.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-11-2018 06:41 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Boy Joey your ruff at 38 seconds two barks means they are babbling and at 250 they picked up the track that means they only was quiet 200 yrds my kind of dog drift that son of a gun don't woller lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 07:17 PM