UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Understanding the coonhound pedigree.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Understanding the coonhound pedigree.

Every since I was a kid I might find an old fan or heater ect in somebody's trash take it apart try see what made it work , fix it and try to make it work better. Me and several of my older freinds on here do the same thing with dogs pedigrees that's 85% of our conversations. Is this a lost art that the younger hunters do not enjoy just blindly buying a pup or dog and throwing caution to the wind without understanding what the traits and heritage behind them ? I find old pedigrees interesting I always have.

Ps: I would like to see. Once a month ukc put any dog thats in the current top reproducer list pedigree on the main page ( any breed ) and let people discuss what they think made that dog reproduce we all would bennifit from these discussions.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 07-11-2018 at 01:27 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-11-2018 12:40 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Undergrace316
UKC Forum Member

I'm fairly new to coonhounds. I got involved in the sport in 2006 out of necessity not because I wanted to. I was raised on big game hounds since I was just a boy in the 80s though. We had some awsome hounds. We didn't study papers we studied traits. We bread the very best males to the very best females and geuss what. It works. Some times you'll get a pup that is 5 gen all grand and it's a dud. Some people will still keep that dog around as use it as a brood bitch even if it never would leave there feet. No way to make good hounds in my opinion.

Last edited by Undergrace316 on 07-11-2018 at 02:45 PM

Old Post 07-11-2018 02:42 PM
Undergrace316 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Undergrace316 Click here to Send Undergrace316 a Private Message Click Here to Email Undergrace316 Find more posts by Undergrace316 Add Undergrace316 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Hunting a dog and gaining titles is just to make you feel better the second a puppy breaths is first breath it has the genetics of how it's going to reproduce often time completely opposite of its self jmo.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 02:48 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Undergrace316
UKC Forum Member

If there is a way to produce better hounds by studying their pedagree I would love to learn how to do it. I'm all about knowing how to better the hounds

Old Post 07-11-2018 02:58 PM
Undergrace316 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Undergrace316 Click here to Send Undergrace316 a Private Message Click Here to Email Undergrace316 Find more posts by Undergrace316 Add Undergrace316 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Hunting a dog and gaining titles is just to make you feel better the second a puppy breaths is first breath it has the genetics of how it's going to reproduce often time completely opposite of its self jmo.

Tar

That's true but it does nothing to help us pick a pup. Yes, they are or are not a successfull reproducer the day they are borned. Again, no help there in picking one unless you have a better crystal ball.
So it always comes down to pedigree or traits. Is the ped the best predictor or are the parents traits the best predictor? And remember, beef cows have no need for brains so lets leave out the livestock part of the discussion.
I'll say this much, if it was as easy and practcal to hunt extensively with the parents, no one but Tar and his cronys would ever look at a pedigree.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:08 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I have the stock of these dogs for 5 generations not no better than anybody else's they are both sleeping in the dog houses they were born in everytime I hunt them I see traits and similarities in them I seen in past generations. Often I would hunt with somebodys dog in a hunt I didn't know and I would see a trait from the past that ole bell ringer had and it was a dominate trait he through I would ask them the breeding of their dog and sure enough ole bell ringer was 3 or 4 genrations back.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:12 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Maybe what Mr Tar is saying is that he studies the dogs in the pedigree. Anyone can look at a piece of paper. And a whole lot of people can memorize the dog's names on that piece of paper. But you have to "study" or learn the dog's traits on that piece of paper, how they acted and what they reproduced to know what that piece of paper means. And you have to learn/know their real traits in the woods, not what their owners say on the interweb.

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:15 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Its prolly a moot point anyway because 90 % of the pup buying population is never gonna hunt with the parents anyway, they prolly dont even know the traits. So in that case, the dogs pedigree is as good as anything else.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:23 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Richard you have hit the nail on the head. You need to study the pedigrees and the traits of the dogs in the pedigrees. Even if they are littermates you had better study the traits. By staying basicly in a family and keeping up with the dogs by what you see instead of what you hear it's not that difficult.
However I have a family of beagles that has a trait that so far I can't get rid of. These are bred for the gun hunter, not the field trialer. Upper gear, don't care for deer (majority), and a little loose on track. Just the way I like. However between three and six months old they are meaner than pit bulls. They eat together, sleep together and do fine, but they can't play together. I have bred the least aggressive to the least aggressive but don't seem to help. When a fight starts it's a battle royal. Guess it just shows you can increase your chances but it's still trial and error.

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:35 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Very few people can or have hunted with grandparents, great grandparents and great great grandparents in a dog's pedigree. So you must have a network of friends whose judgement you trust to help you study a dog's pedigree.

If you are just breeding for comp dogs, then you can look at titles on the papers. But then you have to look at how, where and who obtained the titles. You have to "study" the titles.

And then there are the families in a dog's pedigree. You have to look at the brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles of the dogs in a pedigree to see if they were a "one hit wonder" or if they came from a whole family of dogs with the traits that you are looking for.

It can take years to "study" just one dog's pedigree. Most young people don't have the time or want to put forth that much effort. But that was just as true in the past. I bet that Mr Tar didn't sit around and study pedigrees when he was young. It is much easier to just breed a good female to a good male and hope for the best. You can get a good pup but your odds are
greatly decreased. Or you can buy a pup from some old guy like Mr Tar who has taken the time to study the pedigrees.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-11-2018 at 04:15 PM

Old Post 07-11-2018 03:55 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Those that have researched canine breeding say a pedigree alone is only a predictor 6-10% of the time.

Hmmm those numbers look mighty familiar.

Richard is right family and ancestor knowledge will get you further.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-11-2018 05:26 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Undergrace316
UKC Forum Member

It can take years to "study" just one dog's pedigree. Most young people don't have the time or want to put forth that much effort. But that was just as true in the past. I bet that Mr Tar didn't sit around and study pedigrees when he was young. It is much easier to just breed a good female to a good male and hope for the best. You can get a good pup but your odds are
greatly decreased. Or you can buy a pup from some old guy like Mr Tar who has taken the time to study the pedigrees. [/B][/QUOTE]

I would love to learn how to study peds but there's not enough folks out there now adays who are just as anxious to teach. We need you knowledgable folks to pass on what you have learned

Old Post 07-11-2018 06:46 PM
yadkintar
Banned

First you have to find a strain that suits you then you have to realize that a lot of the guys responsible are not on this board and don't make a lot of the hunts but if you are sincere and willing to learn I have never bean refused when I asked Sombody about the traits of their line of dogs and for advice and to tell you the truth the line I have now I have paid very few stud fees and bought very few pups a lot is the way you approach a person everybody wants their dogs in the right hands.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 07:11 PM
Undergrace316
UKC Forum Member

quote:
First you have to find a strain that suits you then you have to realize that a lot of the guys responsible are not on this board and don't make a lot of the hunts but if you are sincere and willing to learn I have never bean refused when I asked Sombody about the traits of their line of dogs and for advice and to tell you the truth the line I have now I have paid very few stud fees and bought very few pups a lot is the way you approach a person everybody wants their dogs in the right hands.

Tar

What's a good starting point? What is a line of dogs that you are aware of, that consistently produces quality hounds breeding after breeding?

Old Post 07-11-2018 07:58 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I hunt walkers but I been watching the English pretty close that awesome dog is reproducing.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 08:06 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

under grace do you happen to know bill riddle or dee wilkerson of conroe?

Old Post 07-12-2018 02:00 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Undergrace316
UKC Forum Member

No sir. Just moved here from Indiana not to long ago. Dont know anyone yet.

Old Post 07-12-2018 02:36 AM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

They would be good people to get hooked up with.

Old Post 07-12-2018 02:47 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Tar great suggestion I would sign up for class!

Old Post 07-12-2018 03:04 AM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

This is not a joke I am being serious I would like to see them start with the red dogs for one nobody but those breeders would know the history behind them be less he said she said if that makes sense and I see the red dogs starting to show up in the winners circle more and more it peaks my interest I think I would enjoy it.

Tar

Old Post 07-12-2018 06:18 AM
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Im with you I hunt Black n Tans and I know the history of the line of dogs I hunt but I would love to know more about the full history of the breed. As said excellent idea!

Old Post 07-12-2018 11:41 AM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

I would like to see UKC take this pedigree (at least) one step farther. At the time of mating I would like to have the owners of the sire and dam, check boxes for areas such as;

Hunting-slow-medium-fast
Nose-Cold-medium-hot
Strike ability-low-medium-high
trash problems-low-medium-high
Tree barking speed-low 24/40, medium40/80, high 80/120
Open trailing, Low-medium-high
Quickness to locate-low-medium-high
Accuracy-Low 40%-medium60%-high 80% and above
Mouth-poor-medium-excellent
confirmation-poor-medium-excellent

With these traits at least documented by someone, may make it easier down the road to match strength to strength, strength to weakness, and weakness to strength. That may help to build a dog that best suits the needs and desires of someone wanting to breed a dog to their liking.

Just a thought, that I KNOW can be improved upon. But it would be a starting point.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 07-12-2018 02:59 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
I would like to see UKC take this pedigree (at least) one step farther. At the time of mating I would like to have the owners of the sire and dam, check boxes for areas such as;

Hunting-slow-medium-fast
Nose-Cold-medium-hot
Strike ability-low-medium-high
trash problems-low-medium-high
Tree barking speed-low 24/40, medium40/80, high 80/120
Open trailing, Low-medium-high
Quickness to locate-low-medium-high
Accuracy-Low 40%-medium60%-high 80% and above
Mouth-poor-medium-excellent
confirmation-poor-medium-excellent

We actually started something very similar to the above many years ago when we were trying to get a large pack beagle program off the ground. Only it wasn't filled out by the owner it was filled out by the Judge. The program never really got off the ground so that idea died with it. But it would have been very cool to see it now with some history behind it.

Old Post 07-12-2018 03:41 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That is a great idea. Just ask the owner what his stud dog is like. Can you imagine what Timothy Ball would put down? Just read the owners stud dog ads. You could also put one of those "who should I breed her to posts on the interweb". There is no easy way or quick fix. You can't wait until your female comes into heat to start looking for a stud.
It takes a lot of time and effort. And no one else is going to do it for you. Everyone has their own bias. It would be like asking someone who you should vote for. Breeding is kinda like voting. There is a lot of good information and a lot of misinformation or "fake news" out there. You have to sort through it all and make your best informed decision. You must first decide what traits that you are looking for; find a stud that has and is reproducing those traits and then go for it. Or just pick any stud that seems to be winning and hope. It all depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into it. For the pup buyers, you might try asking the dam owner why he bred her to the pup's sire.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-12-2018 at 03:54 PM

Old Post 07-12-2018 03:52 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
This is not a joke I am being serious
Tar

Oh my goodness, you said all of your posts were a joke on another thread. Now I don't know what to believe.

Old Post 07-12-2018 03:59 PM